Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please report outages in the thread "messages/server outages", Thanks.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Role Playing - System of?  (Read 4395 times)

ShinobiIceSlayer

• View Profile
Role Playing - System of?
« on: November 20, 2010, 02:32:06 AM »

Okay, I know Kamui has bought this up, but lets get some things down, and peoples opinions.

Role Playing on SL has died out a bit, but in some places it is picking back up, so are there things we can do to help this?

Kamui had the idea of RP Mods, who could run events and I guess regulate RP on the site, we could possibly have rules to RP as well.

Any other ideas?

Asadi

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
Re: Role Playing - System of?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 07:14:22 PM »

At one time we did have a rp mod, tracey_wolf, I believe. But, she vanished... one to two years ago.

Makoto

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 11:44:51 PM »

Every time I try to spice things up a bit, something always goes haywire; either life intervenes, or my actions are mistaken and I end up being the butt of some nastiness and no one seems to care. I've even tried some little contests with a simple role-play scenario, and that didn't even go nicely.

I came here for RP, and SL really was my first. But all the RP I fell in love with just kinda' up and vanished....

I'm willing to help, any way I can. I don't want the RP to go away. I like the ideas of RP mods and Gamemasters, people who can orchestrate little events to get the population of SL off its chair and doing something. They don't even need to be big, site-wide events. I remember the festival on LoB (before life made its hostile take-over). I would like to do that again. 

ShinobiIceSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 04:57:30 AM »

Yeah, I'm sure a few of us could take a small amount of time just to do something small.

So we could have it posted in the MoTD a week or so in advance, and say such and such event will happen in Konohagakure or something.

Have one or two mods play as NPC.

Asadi

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 09:45:27 PM »

Either that, or mods could possibly pass it mass pm; or clan leaders can if notified.

Jinsei

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 10:14:32 PM »

The only way RP can survive on SL, is if people stop being mean t new members.

Way too many members are pushed aside because they just joined, even with all of the moderators we have.

Also, if Oliver grabbed a few more DEDICATED and ACTIVE Game Masters . . . MAYBE.

but to be honest, I do not see RP coming back on SL.
Main reason = "Nobody is in character." If everybody would be in character, there will be a greater increase in RP.

We have tried this many times before, but based on our past, it will die out just like any other attempt to increase RP.
Much liek a fad in today's society.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes.

Camel

• Global Moderator
  • 01010100 01100001 01100011 01101111 01110011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 10:42:39 PM »

The only way RP can survive on SL, is if people stop being mean t new members.

Way too many members are pushed aside because they just joined, even with all of the moderators we have.

Also, if Oliver grabbed a few more DEDICATED and ACTIVE Game Masters . . . MAYBE.

but to be honest, I do not see RP coming back on SL.
Main reason = "Nobody is in character." If everybody would be in character, there will be a greater increase in RP.

We have tried this many times before, but based on our past, it will die out just like any other attempt to increase RP.
Much liek a fad in today's society.

Still doesn't mean we can still try, nothing will succeed on first try and you must learn from each and every single failure.  ;)

ShinobiIceSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 10:44:19 PM »

Second that, I'm happy to put some time into this, and Kamui said he is to.

Jinsei

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 12:52:53 AM »

I'm not saying it's not worth trying.

Just that the odds are extremely slim.

I am also not saying that I am not willing to do my part, because I am.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes.

Makoto

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 06:36:07 AM »

[this line of the reply has been censored by the author]

I personally don't approve of the prior notification to it, as I'd rather it all be spontaneous and novel; if you have an idea about what's going to happen, much of the fun and interesting-ness is removed. It shouldn't be, "Hey, if you're here for this event [festival] on this day [the 32nd of February], be prepared for fun!" My character, and myself, would intentionally avoid that area.

If there were just little bits of /game text thrown about in the village squares (A small group of tiny folken walk by, huddled closely as though guarding something important), both myself and my character would be more inclined to follow it and play along (and we would ignore the players who would no doubt insist on breaking into the group and stealing whatever treasure they perceived the group to be protecting, unless the gamemaster incorporates it into the session).

That said and explained, being able to set something up with a clan leader, as Asadi suggested, wouldn't be that bad. And I'm interpreting it as an event that would be confined to that particular clan's halls, not something for everyone to join in on; I'm not against these events encompassing the entire site, as I would actually enjoy that, but I know how chaotic it can get, and I think the less involved, especially for a site so large, the better.

I agree with Jinsei on the dedicated Gamemasters idea. Less for the other mods to have to pay attention to, I think, would be a good deal. But, if they have an idea they want to use, then they can go ahead and do it, I'm not saying that they shouldn't be able to, I'm just suggesting that it would be a better idea to have a few members whose job would be to instigate and create a role-playing atmosphere. Isn't that what Shinobilegends is supposed to be?

ShinobiIceSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 08:16:59 AM »

Yeah, what you say Makoto would be better, the Gamemasters or whoever would just have to choice when the time is right.

I'd do some small things like that, I', assuming I can, but not sure, if I can I might give it a try some time and see what happens.

Ace

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 08:56:01 PM »

Those who play LoB know this, I have tried to create some very basic "festivals" for LoB.
I would post a MoTD the time and date, and considering the amount of people who are normally on LoB, the festival turns out well.

Announcing the data on a site like this can be very beneficial. That doesn't mean spontaneous events should not occur.

One of the main problems I have encountered is the lack of involvement or help. Luckily, now we have four new moderators with the gamemaster ability, so that should ease things up.

Overall, the LoB festivals work out. With more gamemaster it would be even better, but people are busy and have work to do.

If people really would like this to move forward, a MoTD can of course be posted for a possible role playing event. This actually could be a good test run.
Again, this doesn't mean "spontaneous" events will not or should not occur. It's just that there are many different approachable tactics.

ShinobiIceSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 11:05:01 PM »

I'm all for giving it a shot.

Neji

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 04:56:13 PM »

Roleplay "rules" - well.... I'd like moderators take initiative here - like ace did with the festival try =) it worked.

I don't like "general" rules as people in different spaces might have different rules about it. Depends a lot.
Never judge a cow by its udder.

Makoto

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 07:17:57 AM »

I, personally for the sake of role playing, view rules as constraints, even if they are meant to promote equality and fairness. Everyone has their own interpretation and idea of how to go about RPing, everyone has their own way of doing things; limiting this isn't a good thing.

If I understand what Ice was suggesting about 'rules' as being more of a 'how to rp here', then perhaps it would better off worded as guidelines? There are a few things that are universal, or mostly universal: there are two colors used, one for actions and one for dialogues; some sort of marker to show a continuing post; a dedication to a 'post order'; dislike of auto-hitting/godmode. With the last, though, problems arise as to the exact definitions of auto-hitting and god-moding, though there is a general consensus about what constitutes what.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 20 queries.