Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New members: you need admin approval, please petition *in game* if you made an account. :)

Poll

Would you like to see this added?

Yes
No

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A notice in our mailbox because a lot are too lazy to read a bio.  (Read 4972 times)

Ѕhadow

• Roleplay Board Moderator
    • View Profile

So right now it's a mod only feature to warn otherwise unknowing players that mods are not to be asked certain things, and other small stuff...the actual writing;

Notice: Begging will be ignored. "How do get curseseal/SST/whatnot" will be ignored. If you are experiencing problems with the game, please use the 'Petition' link instead of contacting an admin directly.

Now comes my request. Allow this feature to be available to everyone. (Maybe even via dp? We were at one point talking about more dp stuff to add. Maybe at a cost of 250 or even 500 dp? Like the blog)

Anywho the staff's notice is like 203 letters. Can you make the max character limit 250 letters. (Including color codes)

I think it would just be handy in various cases, maybe my bio is full of quotes cause I like them, but at the same time I don't want a random person clicking on the mailbox and asking me for dp. Instead they will see the little notice;

Notice: Do not ask for dp, to join your clan, or to rp with you. On vacation till June 2017

Like that for those who buy it. Like I said not a lot of people check bios in my experience.
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Bocchiere

• View Profile
Re: A notice in our mailbox because a lot are too lazy to read a bio.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 05:25:44 AM »

Definitely a useful idea, one that I feel would get a lot of use.

Ratatosk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 05:29:07 AM »

This sounds like a pretty good idea to have around, I will be in support of it.

Styx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 05:40:53 AM »

Definitely a useful idea, one that I feel would get a lot of use.

Agrees with the aforementioned statement.  :P

Thecurse

• Lets brush our cares away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 05:46:21 AM »

I agree, I'm all for it. It'll be really useful.
I used to be an adventurer like you...but then I took a slap to the face and woke up >>....dragons AREN'T real.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 05:51:24 AM »

Seems everyone wants this implemented. Still wondering if you all agree on the dp cost or want it for free?
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Nathan

• Site Staff (Moderator)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 05:57:02 AM »

I'm for it. I vote it replaces the blog option since no one seems to buy that anymore. You could make the blog option free instead.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 05:59:30 AM »

I don't think it should replace or switch with anything.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 06:04:06 AM »

So right now it's a mod only feature to warn otherwise unknowing players that mods are not to be asked certain things, and other small stuff...the actual writing;

Notice: Begging will be ignored. "How do get curseseal/SST/whatnot" will be ignored. If you are experiencing problems with the game, please use the 'Petition' link instead of contacting an admin directly.

Now comes my request. Allow this feature to be available to everyone. (Maybe even via dp? We were at one point talking about more dp stuff to add. Maybe at a cost of 250 or even 500 dp? Like the blog)

Anywho the staff's notice is like 203 letters. Can you make the max character limit 250 letters. (Including color codes)

I think it would just be handy in various cases, maybe my bio is full of quotes cause I like them, but at the same time I don't want a random person clicking on the mailbox and asking me for dp. Instead they will see the little notice;

Notice: Do not ask for dp, to join your clan, or to rp with you. On vacation till June 2017

Like that for those who buy it. Like I said not a lot of people check bios in my experience.

Unless you're a mod... Are they really going to care even if there is a notice right above the typing box? You can get in trouble for begging a mod for certain things, but there is no penalty other than irritation backlash for begging the average player, unless it's highly inappropriate.

I see this more as an opportunity to just have something appear above your bio stating whatever you type into it. Which could be a wide variety of things.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 06:08:46 AM »

Unless you're a mod... Are they really going to care even if there is a notice right above the typing box? You can get in trouble for begging a mod for certain things, but there is no penalty other than irritation backlash for begging the average player, unless it's highly inappropriate.

I see this more as an opportunity to just have something appear above your bio stating whatever you type into it. Which could be a wide variety of things.

Not all people are that rude, Eric. Some will actually read and decide against asking them if they put that there. The sole purpose isn't just to list what not to ask for. It's also for notices like: inactiveness, on vacation, currently being leveled by a friend, ect.

Also it doesn't appear above your bio. Where are you getting that? It will appear whenever someone goes to mail you.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 06:13:51 AM by Shadowxx »

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 11:16:42 AM »

Not all people are that rude, Eric. Some will actually read and decide against asking them if they put that there. The sole purpose isn't just to list what not to ask for. It's also for notices like: inactiveness, on vacation, currently being leveled by a friend, ect.

Also it doesn't appear above your bio. Where are you getting that? It will appear whenever someone goes to mail you.

I had meant above the place where folks would type, not bio. I should have proofread that a little better.

Anyways, the "rude" ones are the ones who would ignore it in your bio, while the newer, unsuspecting newcomers might would not bother with checking your bio before PMing you as they wouldn't know the drill. I have not put such a notice in my bio and I rarely if ever get requests for DP. Perhaps putting it there is the equivalent of being asked.

Status updates, imho, are what the bio are for. If people don't take the time to read at least the SL bio that you put up, then if they are waiting weeks for a reply and you gave fair warning in your bio, then all's fair in ques.

In short, it's not about rudeness, it is either about carelessness or newcomerness, the latter of which shouldn't be too irritating anyways since they're newbies and don't know any better. I'm having a hard time understanding the need for this being implemented.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Lazy Oogakari, Steel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 04:57:21 PM »

I want this option.

Raifudo Oppa

• ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 01:16:53 AM »

If they don't read your bio, why do you think they'd read/care about what your disclaimer says? They're obviously just trying for DP.

Also, I wouldn't call it lazy. Lazy indicates they have to do that as a prerequisite to messaging you. They have the ability to message without going through your profile.

/EndDevil'sAdvocate

Neji

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 04:37:38 PM »

One thing against it:

I would have to make the mod-message much more obvious, as anybody could now copy the message and put it as bio... hence impersonating a mod.

That's a bad thing.
Never judge a cow by its udder.

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2014, 06:10:31 PM »

One thing against it:

I would have to make the mod-message much more obvious, as anybody could now copy the message and put it as bio... hence impersonating a mod.

That's a bad thing.

I'm glad we've come to the consensus that impersonating others is a bad thing.

That being said could it be made so that the non-mod notices are by default another color and cannot be changed?
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 19 queries.