Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New members: you need admin approval, please petition *in game* if you made an account. :)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: A Shoutout To All SL Roleplayers  (Read 7783 times)

TakaharuChusaki

• View Profile
Re: A Shoutout To All SL Roleplayers
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 09:47:06 PM »

Well I think canon-wise we have Mei Terumī that shows you can have a bloodline power from each family member, her use of both Futton and    Yōton. Granted this seems to be the only true example and it's not confirmed if she got each ability from each parent.

Kageri

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 10:44:15 PM »

4] stop trying to exclude others by trying to make this a Naruto Canon Universe. Search other threads for why. its been discussed to death.

Yeah, this is something I have an issue with. At a certain point if somebody wants to pretend that they're a Jedi when everyone else is in the Naruto universe it just becomes anti-fun. That is their enjoyment is impeding on my ability to interact and have fun. How are you supposed to respond to getting force choked when there's no mechanism to counter that in the Naruto universe?

Or what about techniques that are traditionally protected, such as Hiriashin? Doesn't mean much to go to such great lengths to 'protect' that when I can just say I know how to apparate or create port keys. What is somebody going to do if I just decide to Avada Kedavra them while we're at it?

At a certain point we all need to agree which world we're in if we all want to play nicely -- we all need to play by the same rules.

I understand how that can be frustrating. however, when I started here these RP issues were more lax and I have history that I am not going to just throw away because this new generation can't seem to live as long as I rp a demon.

I have watched characters of other lineage get hounded in the gardens of all place, which is supposed to OOC heaven. There needs to be a way to include people instead of running them off. Be creative. Figure it out. It used to work just fine until things became so serious all the fun died.

IF SL has to be partitioned off, then I think we have failed and the term community no longer applies.

I don't think anybody needs to throw away years of history, that would be asking far too much. People work hard on their characters to ask that of them.

However, I don't think it's too much to ask that your abilities make sense in the world so that people can interact with you in a way that makes sense.

Camel

• Global Moderator
  • 01010100 01100001 01100011 01101111 01110011
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2014, 11:10:47 PM »

Why can't we all just get along?  :oops:

Kageri

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2014, 11:24:55 PM »

My abilities do make sense. Just as much as anyone else's do. You have never RP'd with me to even know what my abilities are.

As for any powers I posses that are outlandish, I keep them to personal RPs and rarely use them in the general boards for serious RP. Only for play. When I do, however, they are quite avoidable and do not auto-hit a soul. I keep myself to fair play with my opponents and expect the same in return...from all those Canon Characters who are much more powerful than any character I have ever created.

Yet another reason for people to relax and not assume they are going to be run over by the demon vampires I control.

I think it is quite interesting to note that...Warren is not human, nor his children...and you do not see him doing anything that is out of this world either. Somehow he manages this disparity quite well.

the point of mentioning him is to show just one example of where these non-Naruto-Canon issues are no big deal and should not be stressed about. There are quite a few characters on SL who are not strictly as per written in the manga. But rp goes on and everything is fine anyhow.

I consider it to be the least of SL's problems.

What is an issue is how anyone uses their powers, not if those power are canon fodder or no. Generally when trying to restrict the options of what people can create here you narrow the playing field and pigeon hole yourself into just a fraction of the RP opportunities available due to the fact that most of the interesting folks have been denied access to you.

But we are not going away even if you isolate the elite group who call themselves  'The Mainstream Players' from the rest of us.  We just plain out number you. We would like to include you in our game play but if you do not wish to join with us that is fine.

Whoa, I wasn't trying to say yours...I was speaking in a general sense. As long as your abilities a) make sense and b) have viable counters then I don't really care.

If you're going to say "I'm using this Bleach/Harry Potter/Death Note/Etc. move and there's no viable counter for it in this world" then it's a problem. See where I'm coming from?

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2014, 11:28:24 PM »

Because we don't have to in order to still have fun on this site. One group can have their demons that transcend the supernatural, another group can have their ninjas that transcend the supernatural. Yet still another group can try to merge the two and get a headache in the process.

If they clash, just make sure they don't RP with each other. Not like they need each other to keep chuckin'.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Camel

• Global Moderator
  • 01010100 01100001 01100011 01101111 01110011
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 11:39:06 PM »

Because we don't have to in order to still have fun on this site. One group can have their demons that transcend the supernatural, another group can have their ninjas that transcend the supernatural. Yet still another group can try to merge the two and get a headache in the process.

If they clash, just make sure they don't RP with each other. Not like they need each other to keep chuckin'.

And this is the reason why we can't all have nice things.

Why sure we will have these other groups and pacifist users on here as well, once upon a time someone's interests will conflict with another and a thread is made on here in the forums with the intention of burying the hatchet. (Personal attacks still happen but rarely)

It's bad enough that this topic has already gone off-topic. (I thought this was shout-out thread not a debate thread)

Darkshinobi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 11:43:18 PM »

None of us are perfect, Kay. We all have those unspoken earlier days; I do, Ranketsu does, you do; I remember the earlier days of Bocc, of Tomi and Nathan and Kamui. Almost everyone that joined when they were young made mistakes.

It's bad enough that this topic has already gone off-topic. (I thought this was shout-out thread not a debate thread)

It was titled as a shoutout, but this is actually meant to be a suggestion thread; it's still extremely off-topic, though. Lili's point of this topic was to come up with suggestions that will help the community as a whole from the point-of-view of a hardcore role-player.
You people need to realize you have no right to rule over other people's characters or roleplay-style.

If they got something you discourage, then simply ignore them and don't bother roleplaying with them. You don't complain, you don't make a circlejerk thread about stuff you don't like, you ignore. It's that simple.

There is some truth in this, but it also causes complications. If I acknowledge Bocc but 95% of the rest of Konoha doesn't -- this happened not long ago -- then I'll be in trouble if he decides to attack.

Kyutu - Super King -

• Yep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 12:00:44 AM »

It's funny. I notice that many of the people who want the people of SL to 'get along' are also the ones advocating ignoring those whom you don't want to RP with, or not disagreeing with them about their character choices.
What a hypocritical view point.

1. The site is Shinobi Legends, a Naruto themed RP/LotGD-site, where most characters are ninja who live in hidden villages. I think with the facts in order like this it is clearly a Naruto-style site. Therefore people should probably aim to have their characters atleast pretend to play by Naruto-style rules. Chakra and the such. Otherwise, why even use this place to RP?

2. Ignoring each other whom we disagree with is the best way to rip apart any sense of community. Atleast verbal/public disagreement is some form of interaction, but the suggestion to simply 'ignore what/who you don't like' yet 'build a happy community' are two completely conflicting things. Again, might as well have different sites for each group.

com·mu·ni·ty
noun
a group of people living in the same place or having a particular characteristic in common.
"Rhode Island's Japanese community"
a feeling of fellowship with others, as a result of sharing common attitudes, interests, and goals.
"the sense of community that organized religion can provide"

The first step in building a community is to have a core set of rules each member agrees to. Members who don't agree to it aren't part of that community. In short, there has to be a line drawn somewhere to even begin.

Ah, here's where I need to give a suggestion, right?

Well, step 1 would be to set up atleast some standard. This is why most/all forum RPs have character templates. We don't even have that. So, yes, step 1 should be to set up SOMETHING for people who actually want to RP in a way that has an 'effect' in-game, as opposed to those who don't care about the whole RP business. Anyone who has a set-up this way is fair game for ANYONE to RP with if they also have the set up. No ignoring what you don't like, face it head on.
>INB4 banned for opinions.

Kageri

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 12:03:14 AM »

It's funny. I notice that many of the people who want the people of SL to 'get along' are also the ones advocating ignoring those whom you don't want to RP with, or not disagreeing with them about their character choices.
What a hypocritical view point.

1. The site is Shinobi Legends, a Naruto themed RP/LotGD-site, where most characters are ninja who live in hidden villages. I think with the facts in order like this it is clearly a Naruto-style site. Therefore people should probably aim to have their characters atleast pretend to play by Naruto-style rules. Chakra and the such. Otherwise, why even use this place to RP?

2. Ignoring each other whom we disagree with is the best way to rip apart any sense of community. Atleast verbal/public disagreement is some form of interaction, but the suggestion to simply 'ignore what/who you don't like' yet 'build a happy community' are two completely conflicting things. Again, might as well have different sites for each group.

com·mu·ni·ty
noun
a group of people living in the same place or having a particular characteristic in common.
"Rhode Island's Japanese community"
a feeling of fellowship with others, as a result of sharing common attitudes, interests, and goals.
"the sense of community that organized religion can provide"

The first step in building a community is to have a core set of rules each member agrees to. Members who don't agree to it aren't part of that community. In short, there has to be a line drawn somewhere to even begin.

Ah, here's where I need to give a suggestion, right?

Well, step 1 would be to set up atleast some standard. This is why most/all forum RPs have character templates. We don't even have that. So, yes, step 1 should be to set up SOMETHING for people who actually want to RP in a way that has an 'effect' in-game, as opposed to those who don't care about the whole RP business. Anyone who has a set-up this way is fair game for ANYONE to RP with if they also have the set up. No ignoring what you don't like, face it head on.

I pretty much agree with everything he has to say, but I'd take it a step further and say having a template for abilities would help even more. It's another thing most other sites have that we, for whatever reason, do not.

UettoSenju

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 02:55:07 AM »

How about....

1] realize we can't rule over other people's characters.

2] do not incite others to gang up on other people to shun them or harass them.

3] if we can't say something nice keep our mouths shut. It's not cute to insult others and is asking to start a riot of bad feelings.

4] stop trying to exclude others by trying to make this a Naruto Canon Universe. Search other threads for why. its been discussed to death.

5] character death is the choice of the player, not his or her foes.

6] include people in your rps. step outside your tiny circles to create activity growth.

7] compliment something or someone when you see good things happening

I feel that you have little to no right to try to tell people these things. Sense it seems that you can argue your point but if someone else does then you must report. If you don't get along or agree with Kay your opinion should never be given point blank....

Anyways, although I am not at SL anymore I would like to say that I agree with the general idea of this topic and many things stated here. I think that SL would do good as to have more governed and stern rp conditions. Limits should be placed on characters, mods should enforce these things and such on. 

To think that you could enforce this site wide without Neji and staff taking over rp here would be crazy though. Instead what you should do is gather up all those willing to take part in this and simple start your own plot at SL following these rules you make and so forth. To hell with everyone else. Who knows many may follow and those who choose not to will just have to deal with it or adapt to it. No one would be forcing them to do it but to say you can't because do it because they don't want you to would be wrong as well.

Hell I would perhaps even think of asking my ban be lifted and returning if this did take place. It would be extremely exciting and a challenge to start over. In my opinion any true rper would be filled with joy at that challenge. IT would make everyone equal in terms of character strength and allow rp skills to determine who is strong or not. That would be something worthy of taking part in.

The way SL is now there is no point in rper here. People just void stuff for no reason if things don't go there way. People make up stuff that makes no sense and frankly pertain to Naruto none at all. And the characters are so OP that it promotes everyone to be OP.

If you ask me things are going to hell as they are so why not try a change?

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2014, 03:39:11 AM »

No ignoring what you don't like, face it head on.

This is the only part of said post that I totally agree with. At this point, that seems like the root of the most recent uprising for a standard for SL. The rest I'm a little iffy about.

In a nutshell, what i gathered from Kyutu's post is to re-create Shinobi Legends Society. Which, I don't totally oppose as long as it's a separate RP outlet. Heck, even if you do it here on SL that's fine, as long as you don't expect those who don't want to to follow said template to go along with the flow.

There are various lines drawn in the current community. Not all of them are fair, not all of them were created with the best of intentions, but lines have been drawn. There are core values set among the various communities of SL, hence why there are some villages that never even set foot onto the public board. Cause they don't agree with the village boarders (hoarders? Nah, bad pun) and to an extent, the village boarders, implicitly, don't agree totally with them either.

As much as it is up in flames and arms about the lack of unity on SL regarding RP, there is enough unity to still have some RP left. Hence why not everyone has jumped ship already.

My own suggestions would be that if you do not like the current state of things, then set up your own community within SL, convert followers, and promote change that way. Or leave, and leave what's left to those who want to work in this system.

Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Lilienne

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2014, 04:27:45 AM »

Kirk, I did ask her to leave suggestions, and that is exactly what she did. Whether or not you agree with them is another matter, but we should try to keep it civil. That said, thank you for your own.

And Kayenta, I know that the most recent issue has you very upset, but you need to take a step back and try to remain on point. I started this topic because I do not want to see that kind of a thing happen again, especially since this is one of the many, many, many cases over the years, and it is no fun for anyone. The goal is to find a happy medium that we can all, at least, try to agree on. I also appreciate that you're willing to help keep this all clean.

Asadi

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2014, 05:40:05 AM »

I'm not really sure how I feel about it. SL holds a place in the hearts of all that have come and stayed. It's a place where we've created life from the abyss. We've all experienced love, betrayal, triumph, and utter defeat.

Plenty of people have invested time... and others money to make this game something more than a mere story. It's because of this everyone fights. It's something we all believe in and love... despite all the hate we can tend to spout out when the occasion arises.

This site is about creativity. And, in the beginning, there was plenty of room for us to grow and blossom because it was pretty much a clear slate. Now as time has gone on, like all history, the books have started to get full and it seems like we're 'running out of room'. The creativity is being boxed in as history has been set in stone canon-wise. It is possible to throw it away and not follow the series to the 'T'.

We've all got to remember: This site will not last forever.

At any given time, Neji can pull the plug on our fun. All we will have is memories of pleasant times in the beginning... and sometimes hell at the end because someone had to have the last word in an argument and disappeared forever. I think we'd all like to leave this site someday on a high note and with memories that might carry on into senile ages.

Come on now, think of grandpa Asadi wanting whiskey.  :P

Being able to handle such drastic changes and carrying on is what a true RPer is all about. We create a story for fun! I say if this reset does happen, we should be able to create a memento to the past before even attempting such a thing. There's no need to forget those who are gone. And, if we don't reset, I think we need to create our own changes to the KG's and their histories. Coming together as a community and sharing ideas would be great! Support one another and not force a fist down the throat of someone you don't agree with.

If we do that, we can grow as a community and be like we once were with activity.  :D

UettoSenju

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2014, 06:19:57 AM »

Speak my mind as always. Just who I am. Not sorry about it in the least. Rage quit not really. I think that it is my right as a free man to be able to be heard when defending my village. Plus the liquor probably went to my head that night. If not for me having been drinking I'd probably still be at SL. You're still a friend Kay. You always will be to me so don't think otherwise.  I think we were both at flaw in the end.

Back on topic though. In all honestly it was kinda this same idea that I branched out to make a forum and all sometime ago. So that those of use who wished could start over fresh and not bring problems to he site about it.

I still think this is a great idea but I also must think that it will cause a huge conflict. And even if I am not there anymore I do still love that site more than anything. Therefor I'd like to make a suggestion. I know that it may be a bit taboo and that it failed once but what about giving SLS another shot?

We could try to do better this time and all with it. It could be a place were we could have less powerful characters and all to rp with while still keeping our characters from SL perhaps.

This way it doesn't really bring a big hardship to SL itself.

Snap

• "I'll take my clothes off, just for you. <3"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2014, 12:32:12 PM »

Shinobi Legends, as a community, is awful. That said, I am happy that I stopped roleplaying years ago. It's like the conservative versus the liberals; elitists versus pluralism.

On-topic: I can understand where OP is coming from. This is a subject that's been brought up fairly often over the years that I've roleplayed on SL.

It's often something that a lot of roleplayers feel rather strongly about, though some folk are rather indifferent. Elitism is pretty common on SL. Now, before you start, I don't see elitism as a bad thing. It's one of those terms that is often twisted to mean something completely different to the original definition.

In other cases, it's simply thrown around at the drop of a hat and can often be seen as being used to further a particular agenda. It's in a similar vein to the term 'troll' which also suffers from being used as an incorrect and unfair label.

Elitism in roleplay, has many definitions in my dictionary. Elitism can involve around striving to be the best one can be, with the roleplayer in question usually having rather high standards. It's a shame, but a lot of people seem to be treated like villains whenever they seek to stick to even the simplest of standards. I suppose some people just can't handle feeling excluded from roleplay, even if it's at least partially justified.

Now, this doesn't mean that 'elitist' roleplayers should go around dictating what every other roleplayer does, though at the same time if someone is knowingly indulging in a character concept that doesn't really line up with the canon lore then they have no business complaining or call them 'elitists hardcore roleplayers' if other roleplayers point out the flaws in a constructive manner.

Wanting to be the best you can be, having your own standards and offering advice isn't elitist. Choosing not to RP with someone if there is incompatibility between playing styles isn't elitist. Expecting players in a group to adhere to the rules of the group isn't elitist. Being good at something isn't elitist.

Acting like your standards are somehow more important or more acceptable than others' is one of the many definitions of elitism in my dictionary. Expecting or demanding that others follow your standards is. "Protips" which are less advice and more thinly veiled insults/accusations of doing it wrong are elitist. Sneering and mocking at other groups for being bad compared to yours is elitist. Mocking, insulting, despising, attacking (openly or passive-aggressively) other RP styles is elitist.

Just having standards is OK. Thinking less of others for not having them is where hardcore elitism starts, to me.

Of course, this is considering nobody's being (from an OOC standpoint) inappropriate, invasive, doing anything illegal, trying to disrupt anyone else's RP and so forth - that's on a whole other level, and RP is never a free pass to be an asshole.

Drawing the line at someone making you uncomfortable or doing something illegal isn't elitism. Calling them out on it isn't elitism. If you're a shitty person you deserve being called out; whether or not you're rping while at it is irrelevant. Dictating how people should behave in their own environment, is elitism.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 01:42:25 PM by Nonon Jakuzure »
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 16 queries.