Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please report outages in the thread "messages/server outages", Thanks.

Author Topic: Cheeseburger in Paradise  (Read 1700 times)

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
Cheeseburger in Paradise
« on: December 10, 2014, 08:59:36 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJi4bln-hHQ

So here I am in spam world...Eric. My son noted you seemed not to be having fun anymore.

Oh well...I considered the whole debate to be very tongue in cheek.

Pronouns are a necessity of life.  Kayenta will continue Kayenta's posts in the Cheeseburger in Paradise thread though without pronouns to make Kayenta's point. Pronouns give variety to speech for without pronouns speech would lack diversity and become bland.

Kayenta is hardly speaking another language when Kayenta calls a cheeseburger a hamburger nor is Kayenta denying the hamburgar, the hamburgar's cheeseburgerness. The language being used by Kayenta is still English so the language should be readily understandable by Eric and all English speaking readers, or listeners if Kayenta would be happening to be speaking instead of writing. So, Kayenta is not wrong when Kayenta says that Kayenta cooked Kayenta a hamburger with cheese for supper last night, in the same way that if Kayenta said that Kayenta went out into the yard and cut down a tree instead of saying Kayenta cut down a sycamore, or a birch, or a pine, or a spruce, or even an oak. A sycamore, a birch, a pine, a spruce, and even an oak would still all be trees. And  Kayenta would not be wrong to call a sycamore, a birch, a pine, a spruce, and even an oak a tree instead of a sycamore's, a birch's, a pine's, a spruce's, and even an oak's proper name. The point is; to use a more general designation when speaking of a person, place, or thing is not incorrect based solely upon the lack of using the person's, place's, or thing's most descriptive name available.

Additionally, to say that saying hamburger with cheese is incorrect while cheeseburger is correct is the same concept as saying half a dozen eggs is not interchangeable with saying 6 eggs.

Does Eric and all the English speaking readers and potential listeners, if Kayenta happened to be speaking instead of writing, understand what Kayenta is saying?

Kayenta hopes that Cheeseburger in Paradise makes Eric laugh instead of making Eric mad because Kayenta is being silly and not angry or 'witchy'.

Eric

• Roleplay Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cheeseburger in Paradise
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 03:42:15 AM »

So here I am in spam world...Eric. My son noted you seemed not to be having fun anymore.

Pronouns are a necessity of life.  Kayenta will continue Kayenta's posts in the Cheeseburger in Paradise thread though without pronouns to make Kayenta's point. Pronouns give variety to speech for without pronouns speech would lack diversity and become bland.

Kayenta is hardly speaking another language when Kayenta calls a cheeseburger a hamburger nor is Kayenta denying the hamburgar, the hamburgar's cheeseburgerness. The language being used by Kayenta is still English so the language should be readily understandable by Eric and all English speaking readers, or listeners if Kayenta would be happening to be speaking instead of writing. So, Kayenta is not wrong when Kayenta says that Kayenta cooked Kayenta a hamburger with cheese for supper last night, in the same way that if Kayenta said that Kayenta went out into the yard and cut down a tree instead of saying Kayenta cut down a sycamore, or a birch, or a pine, or a spruce, or even an oak. A sycamore, a birch, a pine, a spruce, and even an oak would still all be trees. And  Kayenta would not be wrong to call a sycamore, a birch, a pine, a spruce, and even an oak a tree instead of a sycamore's, a birch's, a pine's, a spruce's, and even an oak's proper name. The point is; to use a more general designation when speaking of a person, place, or thing is not incorrect based solely upon the lack of using the person's, place's, or thing's most descriptive name available.

Additionally, to say that saying hamburger with cheese is incorrect while cheeseburger is correct is the same concept as saying half a dozen eggs is not interchangeable with saying 6 eggs.

Does Eric and all the English speaking readers and potential listeners, if Kayenta happened to be speaking instead of writing, understand what Kayenta is saying?

Kayenta hopes that Cheeseburger in Paradise makes Eric laugh instead of making Eric mad because Kayenta is being silly and not angry or 'witchy'.

I am amused that you dared to say that, by speaking the same language, we should be able to understand each other. Because if you are saying that, you are very comically forgetting the many debates we have had here on the forum where one side failed to understand the other. :P

By my language the other night, morning, whatever time of day it was, yeah, I had kind of lost the original comical spirit of the debate. Here, I am humored again because right in one moment you disproved what you earlier stated:

Kayenta is hardly speaking another language when Kayenta calls a cheeseburger a hamburger nor is Kayenta denying the hamburgar, the hamburgar's cheeseburgerness. The language being used by Kayenta is still English so the language should be readily understandable by Eric and all English speaking readers, or listeners if Kayenta would be happening to be speaking instead of writing. So, Kayenta is not wrong when Kayenta says that Kayenta cooked Kayenta a hamburger with cheese for supper last night...

This is in fact a very different train of thought. It is saying that a hambuger with cheese = cheeseburger, which is correct.

However, hamburger with cheese =/= hamburger. Hamburger = Hamburger.

A hamburger (also called a beef burger, hamburger sandwich, burger or hamburg) is a sandwich consisting of one or more cooked patties of ground meat, usually beef, placed inside a sliced bun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburger

Therefore, my Ace Attorny may make the following statement:

The laws of equivalencey require that both be equal and truly interchangeable. A cheeseburger is a type of hamburger, so therefore one would reason that a cheeseburger may simply be called a hamburger without consequence. However, a hamburger is not a cheeseburger by definition. Therefore, referring to a cheeseburger has a hamburger, similarly to referring to North Americans as Americans or a human as a woman is improper, and cause for confusion and befuddlement in language.

Hence, since they are not interchangeable, a hamburger, statement alone, cannot be defined as a cheeseburger. The same for a human cannot be defined as a woman, for there are also men in the world (whether you have one in your world or not, ladies of the jury, is not revelent to the point), but a human with female identity, either through parts, mindset, or however you wish to set those constraints, is a woman. Alone, however, human cannot define woman, and alone, burger cannot define cheeseburger.

The analogy regarding the eggs is not the same; a half-dozen eggs is equivalent to 6 eggs. For you may define a half-dozen cart of eggs as a cart containing 6 eggs. The two are truly interchangeable, unlike the tree analogy. For you cannot define a tree simply as a sycamore, because there are a wide variety of trees in the world, such as pine and oak. Therefore, a subset cannot truly be equated to a superset, and only one of equal level and meaning may be truly equated.

Your move Kayenta.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 06:29:52 AM »

ok...fine. the six of one and half a dozen of another was not a good premise for my argument.

HOWEVER....

Cheeseburger is a subset of hamburger, as pine is to tree and woman is to human. SO I have not called a cat a dog and am not wrong.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 08:28:46 AM »

ok...fine. the six of one and half a dozen of another was not a good premise for my argument.

HOWEVER....

Cheeseburger is a subset of hamburger, as pine is to tree and woman is to human. SO I have not called a cat a dog and am not wrong.

As long as you say that a hamburger with cheese = cheeseburger, and not that burger = cheeseburger, then I agree.

Otherwise, I refer you to my lawyer and his comments on the matter.  8) Because repetition is for noobs.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 08:53:01 AM »

No. I think that I will insist that you admit that a cheeseburger is a hamburger with cheese.

In lighter news...
my furnace died and its 29'F or 2'C. Anyone got 1200 bucks they wanna give me?

To quote Ted's mother from How I Met Your Mother, "Nothing good ever happens after 2am so you should just go to bed."

And bundle!!

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 09:57:25 PM »

No. I think that I will insist that you admit that a cheeseburger is a hamburger with cheese.

In lighter news...
my furnace died and its 29'F or 2'C. Anyone got 1200 bucks they wanna give me?

To quote Ted's mother from How I Met Your Mother, "Nothing good ever happens after 2am so you should just go to bed."

And bundle!!

We are not even in an opposition at this point, as you simply want me to agree with myself. That a cheeseburger = hamburger with cheese, but cheeseburger /=/ hamburger.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 01:38:43 AM »

not true. YOU said I was wrong to call it a hamburger with cheese. I was demonstrating why that was a fine thing for me to say.

But what is the strangest thing you have ever eaten on a cheeseburger?

Asadi

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 08:46:04 AM »

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 09:33:47 AM »

Now the Aunt Millie looks good. I love feta cheese though.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 02:02:34 PM »

...But what is the strangest thing you have ever eaten on a cheeseburger?

Asadi reminded me of the time I tried a cheeseburger with blue cheese. Never again will I defile my burgers with blue cheese.  :-?

Although that Lumberjack is ftw.  :twisted:

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 16 queries.