Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ever wondered if your ideas have been talked about in the forum already? Well, try out the "search" option, where all your questions can be answered.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: An actual guide on how to rp or roleplay.  (Read 4531 times)

Lazy Oogakari, Steel

• View Profile
Re: An actual guide on how to rp or roleplay.
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 05:35:49 PM »

The guide should explain what is:
- god-modding
- retro posting
- meta gaming

Things that are legal in rp, apparently.

Oi!
Keep your own frustrations at bay.
Posts here should be about the topic and not for indirect insults to Machina.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 07:46:25 PM by Lazy Oogakari, Steel »

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 05:42:44 PM »

The guide should explain what is:
- god-modding
- retro posting
- meta gaming

Oi!
Posts here should be about the topic and not for indirect insults.

Ok, it's been 10 years and we've apparently yet to figure out what those three things are, so, good luck!

Mei

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2015, 07:23:05 PM »

Oi!
Posts here should be about the topic and not for indirect insults.

Ok, it's been 10 years and we've apparently yet to figure out what those three things are, so, good luck!

I did not consider Bocc's post as an insult.
But the reason for my previous post, is that there's no definition for it if you were to google the term. I tried, but perhaps it's called something else.

In the past, I'm sure most of us have done some form of one or the other, without realizing it.

Keito Uzumaki

• "Your opinion means very little to me."
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 11:09:56 PM »

Mei's right there are no internet definitions by these terms we use, so from my years on SL here is my thoughts on what they are.

God Modding - Basic ideology that ones character is a god or had god like properties; allowing them to bend the laws of motion, gravity and human life. It turns them from the humane ninja their character is supposed to be; to the absolute law itself, making them the definition of what is possible or not. Usually God Modders don't see their acts as god mod and will continue to detest that they are indeed not god modding. Even with countless of hours arguing and facts being thrown left and right from Wikipedia and google, some arguments can never be solved. God modding isn't a single action as it has many varieties from auto-hitting, to near 'instantaneous speeds'. It is a true turn off in role playing and engaged zoning; due to the fact that god modding simply allows for one to overcome the other, based off implications. Usually when something doesn't make sense in role play it is god mod, thus needing a reasonable re-post for the events to make sense once again. An example would be; Player 1 and Player 2 are fighting. Player 1 has lured and set up Player 2 to walk into a sealing trap. Player 2 chases after Player 1 and lands on the trap. Player 1 role plays the effects of what happens to those who step on the trap. Player 2 ignores the effects and claims that their person is the fastest of them all and once he stepped on the trap that he quickly leaped away, fast enough to avoid the seal activating and its effects. Because his is the best of the best. Well yeah.....you see how that is annoying.

Retro Posting - Personally one of my greatest turn offs in zoning and role playing. Basically like an undo button in role play. Usually used when one party blind sides the other party, causing them to retrace their steps to prevent the blind side. I'm not lying when I think of it as a undo button because this is how I usually see it used; Player 1 charges at Player 2, whom is standing still and charging his energy. He quickly cocks his fist back and aims to punch Player 2 in the face. Player 2 has finally stored enough energy to form the rasengan ball and quickly thrusts it towards the incoming enemy; attacking him head on. Player 1 never intended to punch Player 2 in the face and quickly ducks, avoiding the Rasengan. Basically after ooc knowledge that your characters attempts were foiled, being the account manipulator you retrace your steps in order to prevent serious harm as well as giving you a second opportunity for a much more proper attack. This type of roleplaying prevents any real progress as the account manipulator will continue to try and prevent their character from making any mistakes. I usually stop all RP and leave whenever I encounter this type of role play for it isn't fair for anyone but the one doing it.

Lastly Meta-Gaming one of the funniest disgraces towards role playing I see. This is where the separation between account manipulator and SL ninja doesn't happen. As well as the terms IC and OOC. When we are reading actions as the people who sit behind the computer screen we must realize that we are operating a completely separate entity; a second identity that we wish is a badass ninja. The problem is many of the information we see is actually OOC, in which we display it as knowledge our characters know out of no where. This is wrong. Kinda going back to retro posting it is the OOC human reading the text where as, with that information we respond logically despite some events not actually happening ICly. Meta Gamming is used without even necessarily wanting to. A basic example of meta gaming would be this; Player 1 challenges player 2 to an IC fight. Meanwhile Player 1 and Player 2 have never met officially. Player 1 ooc-ly reads Player 2's bio and description, finding out his weakness to water. Without hesitation Player 1 attacks Player 2's weakness and wins the match quickly. Obviously its no fair for Player 2 whom listed one of his weakness. But Player 1 doesn't care its how he plays, allowing him to win a lot. But this type of winning isn't fair for both parties. This is why Meta-Gaming is a serious turn off and tends to disrupt role play flow.

tl;dr
God Modding makes ones character into a literal god, avoiding all harm and doing the impossible.
Retro Posting allows one to fix their mistake in their previous post, preventing their character from a loss.
Meta Gaming helps one to overcome something, given information from another world.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 20 queries.