Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please report outages in the thread "messages/server outages", Thanks.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dice rolls  (Read 4051 times)

Becquerel

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
Dice rolls
« on: January 25, 2015, 06:15:46 PM »

I was thinking about the differences between here and most tabletop RPGs, and I realized the clear difference. Here, when people are RPing, they just say whatever they want and people respond unnaturally. Things like god-modding and meta-gaming are buzzwords that are thrown around here often. In order to solve these issues, why not implement a dice rolling function?
That way when NinjaA says 'I attack you with my super-ultimate, undodgeable jutsu' and rolls a 1 while NinjaB rolls a 20 they respond accordingly. Of course, this does not need to be used, but if two people agree to use it then they can be able to. I don't know if you would go with a D20, a D6, a D4, or D#, but it might help out to add fairness to the game.
100 push ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10km running every single day.

Bocchiere

• View Profile
Re: Dice rolls
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 06:33:55 PM »

I was thinking about the differences between here and most tabletop RPGs, and I realized the clear difference. Here, when people are RPing, they just say whatever they want and people respond unnaturally. Things like god-modding and meta-gaming are buzzwords that are thrown around here often. In order to solve these issues, why not implement a dice rolling function?
That way when NinjaA says 'I attack you with my super-ultimate, undodgeable jutsu' and rolls a 1 while NinjaB rolls a 20 they respond accordingly. Of course, this does not need to be used, but if two people agree to use it then they can be able to. I don't know if you would go with a D20, a D6, a D4, or D#, but it might help out to add fairness to the game.

It would also add, "Your character of 5 years is now dead because you rolled a 1." to the game. I don't think we need to add random chance as a factor.

Teostra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 06:47:58 PM »

Just don't die then?

Most SL RPers these days - http://postimg.org/image/o2621ldd9/

Garō, Ichirou

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 08:54:19 PM »

A success/failure set up like those with table top RPGS wouldn't be a good idea to implement into something like SL, it would remove a lot of the ability to plan strategy, especially when you run into situations where you're trying to do something simple like skip a stone and you roll a 1 and break your wrist,

Becquerel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 09:04:16 PM »

It would also add, "Your character of 5 years is now dead because you rolled a 1." to the game. I don't think we need to add random chance as a factor.
A success/failure set up like those with table top RPGS wouldn't be a good idea to implement into something like SL, it would remove a lot of the ability to plan strategy, especially when you run into situations where you're trying to do something simple like skip a stone and you roll a 1 and break your wrist,

And that's why I mentioned it would be optional. If the people RPing agree to use it, it's there for them to use. If you don't want to use it, just ignore the roll-dice option.
100 push ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10km running every single day.

Eric

• Roleplay Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 10:25:21 PM »

I see this being useful only in situations where pure luck will determine the outcome of the encounter. I can't think of any examples right off the top of my head though.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Kyutu - Super King -

• Yep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 04:37:58 AM »

... Don't we already have this in the private zones?
>INB4 banned for opinions.

Warren

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 04:51:50 AM »

Yes, neji fairly recently fixed them too to work properly.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 05:22:07 AM »

I have wanted someone to play with the private zone dice system with me.

We would have to fix up special character sheets with our stats and weapons and armor and what the hit die would be for each and all the DnD mechanics.

OR...to do dice pools of number of d6...isn't there a Naruto d20 system already made up?

sorry. There is , yes - yes- there is.

And some of the DnD geeks out there know what I mean!!

points at you...several of you...you know who you are.

Mei

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 07:31:35 PM »

There's actually an unofficial Naruto D20 game out there with rules and such.

Obviously you would need to set up the system so it would be fair.

For example, when you attempt an attack on an opponent

Using a D20.
If you get 16 or higher - successful hit (full dmg)
You get between 11 and 15 - semi-successful / off target (half dmg)
Between 6 and 10 - you grazed them (a cut or scratch)
Between 1 and 5 - complete miss

But then you have the opponent's roll to defend:
If you get 16 or higher - successful evade (take no dmg)
You get between 11 and 15 - successful block (take some dmg)
Between 6 and 10 - half block (take half-dmg)
Between 1 and 5 - no block (take full dmg)

This example is flawed but it just shows how you cannot be completed ruled by dice.
So for you to truly 'win', you would have to roll 16 or higher and the opponent would have to roll a 5 or lower.

My probability may be rusty but I believe to find the expected number you're going to get from a D20 is: 1/20 (1 + 2 + 3 + ....+ 18 + 19 + 20) = 11.

So you're going to semi-successful hit with the opponent being able to block, which in the end the opponent may or may not take a cut in the cheek. It depends on how you look at it.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 11:27:06 PM »

it would be a fun experiment for a very precise form of combat.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 06:28:43 AM »

*gets into debate about whether hit or not by blitz attack vs blitz attack*

Rolls dice.

Prays to the random number generator for a value higher than opponent. Flips computer and playing board when RNG somehow grants a 1.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Mei

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 09:31:27 AM »

It would be fun but we may need to modify it to fit SL.

They say luck also plays a role in battle. >.>

Kyutu - Super King -

• Yep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 09:57:46 AM »

The problem would come with modifiers and how you would decide what needs rolls.

Going from the above suggestion:
If an acad throws a kunai at a kage-level ninja with lightning armor active and the acad gets a 20 while the kage rolls a 1, does the kage take a kunai to the heart and die?
>INB4 banned for opinions.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 01:34:51 PM »

The problem would come with modifiers and how you would decide what needs rolls.

Going from the above suggestion:
If an acad throws a kunai at a kage-level ninja with lightning armor active and the acad gets a 20 while the kage rolls a 1, does the kage take a kunai to the heart and die?

pwned lol. That would make our battles more about luck than power without modifiers. But if we're going to make a stat system, we might as well go the extra yards and put technique stats.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 20 queries.