Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please report outages in the thread "messages/server outages", Thanks.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Just Discussin' (Or Rantin')  (Read 5357 times)

Court

• View Profile
Just Discussin' (Or Rantin')
« on: June 27, 2015, 08:47:16 PM »

Just a random thought I've had for a long, long time, but why does everyone claim to have a shitload of perks? It's sad that the series pretty much justifies having sharingan, susanoo, rinnegan too among other things, etc., but why does everyone strive to be overpowered and overwhelming with feats and abilities? Do we all wanna follow in Orochimaru's footsteps, or Madara's and implant/experiment to add several KGs? Or Kaguya (Crazy "I wanna destroy the world" Bitch)?

You think we'll ever just be basic, like the good old days? One can hope (Least I am).

The worst is when people say, "I have a lot of stuff because I don't want to get overwhelmed in a fight," "Because other people have it, so I have to," assuming there'd be a change, it won't happen with those statements. I mean, there might be less ooc drama if we all stuck to one KG, a few perks, etc (because having a lot gets complicated, I feel).

How do you determine who is the fastest or strongest? Is there really a defined measurement method? Hirashin is the fastest technique, sure, but what about the people who don't claim to have it and say they're godly fast? Or the people who say they heal instantaneously (get real). It's just something I've noticed -- I certainly don't strive to be as complicated or godly, to be honest, I'd love to have a fair fight where everyone gets some battle scars, then maybe hit up the nearest ramen bar for some sake and grub -- a merry night to an entertaining zone, no?

I don't know, I want to see what other people think of this, hence why I'm posting this here. Do you feel SL would be a better place without everyone claiming to have so many powers, KGs and trumps? Do you feel fighting would have better outcomes/results, and not be voided or argued oocly?

I mean, strip some people of what they have and give them a stick, and they might not last -- the fine line between actual skill and people just hiding under a security blanket might just be easier to distinguish. Am I right? o.O;

Eric

• Roleplay Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Just Discussin' (Or Rantin')
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 09:05:08 PM »

... Do you feel SL would be a better place without everyone claiming to have so many powers, KGs and trumps? Do you feel fighting would have better outcomes/results, and not be voided or argued oocly...

Not really, except for a few occasions, normally only one or at most two abilities are ever being argued about in a single turn. No matter how many abilities you have, you can only use so many of them in a single turn, or even a single battle.

... I mean, strip some people of what they have and give them a stick, and they might not last -- the fine line between actual skill and people just hiding under a security blanket might just be easier to distinguish. Am I right? o.O;

Unless you strip people but leave their core list (some have a list as long as the Naruto series, but only use a small portion of it in most fights) then you're taking away the identity of the character in the process. Granted, finding the core list of some is harder than with my character, but everyone has their favorites out of their jutsu list.

Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Teostra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 12:10:12 AM »

Hey, I haven't seen your name around in a long time. But I've been singing the same song as you for a while, Court. I don't agree with Eric saying that 'you can only use so many of them in a single turn' because we have to remember a lot of things are considered passive abilities.

Sharingan gives you great vision and basic prediction of moves, byakugan lets you see everything around you, etc etc...And then you have people who are stacking these abilities on top of sage abilities and whatnot. But it is partly true that a lot of people just claim these things because if they don't, they can't 'keep up' with the 'veterans'. And on top of having all these abilities, everyone can use every elemental ability as well as the combos.

Sure, I'm guilty of being pretty strong as well. But besides my Stand and custom KG, I use basic jutsu and weapons to fight in the zones. Maybe if I come back I'll do some sort of sage thing eventually, but that will be long from now I think. And I did have regen, but it was a slow regen. For people who fought me back in the day, I usually ended up losing an arm or something in the fight and would eventually regrow it after a few weeks. But I'd RP with a stub arm/leg until it finally grew back.

But I think the thing people need to start doing is not taking this game (remember, this is all just a game) so dang seriously. It's meant for fun, and I wish a lot of people would remember that. Sure, serious RP is cool, but don't let it make you turn into a butt who starts spouting 'muh jutsus'. I guess it's because the only way you can go is up. But it gets to the point where your character is like the link in my signature. It's just that you're so strong, no one wants to play with you because it's hard to write interesting things when you're the strongest being around. Superman manages to do it, but even still, he's not even that popular when it comes to comics.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 12:24:09 AM by Teostra »

Most SL RPers these days - http://postimg.org/image/o2621ldd9/

Keito Uzumaki

• "Your opinion means very little to me."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 12:51:02 AM »

The reborn system screwed us all! Back then when in-game resets actually determined your characters skill in RP, there were literally only a handfull with max reborns whom used them in RP. Ever since borrowing resets(dafuq? lol), buying accounts or simply claiming the abilities, the standards or 'norm' of being a ninja changed dramatically. First we have all you Uchiha fanboys with your sharingan and your perfect EMS without having to go through any loss and simply claim that. Then theres all these people who like to claim that they have 'Uzumaki' genes just so they could claim to have unlimited chakra. Then theres those who like to claim all 5 elemental abilities right off the bat, because you know you never know who you are going to face, best be prepared for anything right? Oh yea and lets not forget those who simply claim to have nigh instantaneous speeds without powerups such as Raiton no Yoroi, meaning when they have such active they are FASTER THAN HIRAISHIN. ;) What else is wrong? ooooh my heavens so much! But complaining is really all we can do at this point.....

I do want to make it clear though. For the many who have spent lets say 5+ years on this site, active and RPing/leveling; you eventually learn the ropes of SL and how it generally works. So in that span of lets say 5 years, you don't become 'better' than you were originally and your character isn't 'stronger', than you've been ninja-ing wrong. The whole purpose is to progressively be as powerful as your character can be. Obviously you can stretch such with experimentation and body modifications, but as we progress in the shinobi world we should indeed be getting stronger and learning new abilities, thats the whole purpose.

The REAL problem is those who join or anyone else by that matter and automatically stack themselves with x loads of KG and x loads of techniques and elements they probably will never use properly. Keeping it simple is key. I mean hey I've got an arsenal up my sleeve, but that doesn't mean I won't beat you silly with my staff and headbutt you into the ground.

Court

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 01:31:55 AM »

Well, it's quite the relief to see I'm not the only one with these views. I do miss the concept of having one or two true chakra natures. I mean, some perks are okay, but the point is to make your character have some weaknesses.

Like, if I wanted to make a puppet user, I'd find my character likely dipping into poisons, long-range techniques and ninjutsu, maybe some form of poison gas genjutsu, and probably really shitty in taijutsu. It's just, you see everyone taking a wide array of skills and abilities, it kind of makes it unfair and boring (in my opinion), because you take the fun out of being fair -- it's extremely fun to weasel your way out of a situation on skill and what you only have, not because you have such a huge arsenal and it's easy to negate it with something you have.

A huge part of role-play is the puzzle, and I feel a lot of people lose that sort of whimsical feeling that comes with the mystery.

I think we also focus too much on fighting, less on events, missions and the like. Now it seems everyone is focused on obtaining bijuu or bombing a village. I don't know. xD

Raifudo Oppa

• ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 01:53:52 AM »

but the point is to make your character have some weaknesses.

You're my biggest weakness, Court.

Seriously though, I remember back in the old days (shudder, I'm old now) people would still claim to be godly. Now we just have more stuff we can claim. I'd like to think in the old days it was all giggles and farts, but it really wasn't. A vast majority treated this site as a social site, and the small small percentage of people who actually RP fought did claim some crazy ish (I.E. a "chaos" chakra that can solidify into an impenetrable barrier and be used to cast abilities outside of the barrier someone was in, that coupled with claims of demonic features and a mangekyo).

I agree we've gotten more out of hand, but we can't forget a strong majority of that old "bijuu council(/summit?) and claims they had.

Trev

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 02:49:58 AM »

Game changed with the series is all that I will say.

Back in the day the best moves around were chidori, 5 gates, etc. People still rp'd with the top tier moves, it's just the top tier moves were reasonable.

Now we have people like Madara, and Orochimaru, Kabuto, etc with the mixed gene and vast move set. People did as they always did and emulated the top. Before it was CS level sasuke, now it's Madara.

The power progression took a giant leap in the series and so did the players on SL. Only difference is the top tier powers in the old series were building destroyers at most, now they're mountain level.

Also as Raifudo said, the older days still had people being godly, it just didn't take as much back then.
Don't say f*ck any more because f*ck is the worst word that you can say

So just use the word mmmkay!

Warren

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 02:52:57 AM »

Its not all bad. I've been seeing a rise in getting power not for power, but for story.

Kage

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 12:36:19 AM »

Power creep in the series lead to this. We do have restrictions, such as not accepting anybody to have Sage Mode and Rinnegan/Tenseigan.

But in terms of speed, it all really depends on what's been ranked pretty fast in the series, and what has been shown or noted to be faster than something else. It can be really hard now in SL to have someone claim they're faster in their base state (no perks or aids from techniques or enhancements) than Hiraishin.

Healing, or rather vitality and genetic advantages, is another matter. Those closer to Kaguya Otsutsuki's original bloodline have been noted to be stronger than the average shinobi by default. The main bloodlines that encompass that are the Uchiha, Senju, Hyuuga and Otsutsuki. The majority of people would rather be one or two of these bloodlines, since it gives them a +1 over others. The Kaguyas could also be included in there, since their namesake and KG comes from Kaguya herself.

Though even the old days in the series has been expanded-upon by Kishimoto. In the early beginnings, village kages were stated to have known to be masters of over a thousand jutsu. And near the end of the series, along with some canon extracurricular data from the databooks, all the Hokage have been classified as having at the very least, 4 of the 5 basic chakra natures.

Now with this in mind, many people on SL like to aim for or claim to be of kage-level power/status for a variety of reasons. Whether or not they will be acknowledged as such is ultimately determined by the community. Just because you're good with a sword, doesn't mean you're better than someone else that's good with a sword. In fact, once the two face off and a winner is declared, then one is deemed good with a sword, and the other great with a sword. That is the progression of standards of power at work.

Ace

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 01:35:43 AM »

The good "old days" ...
had its fair share of OP characters.
had it's fair share of stubbornness and egos.

=)

The "good ole days" was mainly due to the member base and the activity, I'd say.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 06:08:44 AM »

Variety is always nice. But I hardly ever zone anymore because of the unbeatable powerhouses.

That was more about the seriousness of the fight than the possibility of getting killed or destroyed. Kay has never won a fight before, but it didn't matter. And then after we destroyed the world, were fried to a crisp, and run over by fleets of pummeling feet, we went back to the gardens...which used to be a great place to pick up a match...and goof balled around, or tucked into a joint in some village, to laugh and be stupid all night long.

Masane

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 06:17:32 PM »

As a person who use to be hella over stacked and OP, I think having less would eliminate a lot of arguing. I am a firm believer in rping over resets so when I see someone new just pop up with more stuff that myself it gets a bit irritating. I do however believe that if everyone would just accept more, things would go a lot smoother. I'm not saying accept EVERYTHING. But if some one is claiming all nature transformations for no reason, so what? I find myself in fights were people do silly things like move faster than Barry Allen for no reason at all. I find ways around it to avoid bickering. Some things are a bit more serious than others. Like people claiming Hiraishin or Teseigan with no real rp backing it. I have noticed that it all comes down to what people are willing to accept. But the way I see it, if you see some over powered doof who claims in his bio that he can tank Amaterasu or detect Senjutsu while never even learning about it, don't get involved with him\her. I like fighting people like this so I really don't have room to complain, so I wont. I like it because if I beat them, it shows that they have no skill. Having every jutsu\tech\KG means nothing if you don't know how to use it. Like Eric said, there is only so much you can do in one post\turn. Can't use everything in your arsenal at once. Anyway I don't think people having\claiming everything is the issue. I think it all falls on what we want to deal with and in that respect, just stay away from OP players that make crazy claims. It's that simple.

When you smell like you can do anything, there is nothing you smell like you can't do.

Becquerel

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 12:02:17 AM »

Masane, to be fair, whenever I (and just about anyone else from what others told me) talked to you about any issues you had in a fight you would just end up going off on people with really offensive comments. I agree with on the thing that I feel people should accept more because a lot of people just want to apply realism and logic to an anime-based game. Anyone who's watched Naruto (or just about any anime) knows that logic doesn't exactly make sense here.
But I feel a lot of people who make accounts and claim a whole bunch of stuff are probably just Alts, which makes the player think they can just do that. But then again, I also don't think that just because someone buys an account full of resets they should be considered super powerful and godly RP-wise.
Honestly, RP is hard to do. Just because you have good writing ability doesn't mean that you're a good RPer. You need to have good communication skills, good imagination, you need to be friendly and accepting, and you need to be able to separate the character from yourself. I've honestly had good and fun RP before with people who had terrible writing skills (spelling and grammar). They were imaginative enough to build a good setting and make it fun, even though it just took me a little bit more thinking to decipher some of their writing. But, they were nice and friendly so it probably helped.
100 push ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10km running every single day.

Court

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 05:15:53 AM »

I dunno, I always felt I faced pretty competent, skilled and just people back then -- maybe I was just in the better crowd, je ne sais pas.

There's just something about 'survival' that I enjoy -- give you the least amount of shit and see if you can't withstand an onslaught. A lot of people don't know the feeling if they have a lot of things within their arsenal. But, we have some pretty interesting points here (I'm probably too lazy and tired to address them all -- 12 hour shifts are draining).

Yeah, maybe I just liked the 'godly' stuff back then more than the ridiculous shit now, because stuff like rasengan and chidori were avoidable -- more so than some techniques.

There's really a restriction between rinnegan and sage mode? I seriously don't think people have followed something like that, tbh.

Part of me doesn't believe half the stuff that's been said because I haven't really seen it. I really haven't fought in a while -- could you blame me? <<;

Especially this statement: 
As a person who use to be hella over stacked and OP, I think having less would eliminate a lot of arguing. I am a firm believer in rping over resets so when I see someone new just pop up with more stuff that myself it gets a bit irritating. I do however believe that if everyone would just accept more, things would go a lot smoother. I'm not saying accept EVERYTHING. But if some one is claiming all nature transformations for no reason, so what? I find myself in fights were people do silly things like move faster than Barry Allen for no reason at all. I find ways around it to avoid bickering. Some things are a bit more serious than others. Like people claiming Hiraishin or Teseigan with no real rp backing it. I have noticed that it all comes down to what people are willing to accept. But the way I see it, if you see some over powered doof who claims in his bio that he can tank Amaterasu or detect Senjutsu while never even learning about it, don't get involved with him\her. I like fighting people like this so I really don't have room to complain, so I wont. I like it because if I beat them, it shows that they have no skill. Having every jutsu\tech\KG means nothing if you don't know how to use it. Like Eric said, there is only so much you can do in one post\turn. Can't use everything in your arsenal at once. Anyway I don't think people having\claiming everything is the issue. I think it all falls on what we want to deal with and in that respect, just stay away from OP players that make crazy claims. It's that simple.
I thought about quoting just the first sentence, but the whole thing is kind of unbelievable. Then again, my mind is skewered because I think majority is still heavily OP, but nyeh. I'm terrible, but deal with it.

It would be nice if we had a system to sort of accept what people can have and cannot -- like, if they're good at rping, we pretty much know they can run with something they want -- but my love for controlled chaos will forever be but a dream. ;-;

But, yeh, I just think that it's more satisfying to 'restrain' oneself from having too much, cause you really do feel like a champ when you beat a person entirely because of skill and wit and not from having so much to fall back on.

Even so, if we strayed from OP people, that's how voiding occurs -- and well, that doesn't seem to bode well, either; especially if it involves a village.

Ѕhadow

• Roleplay Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 03:01:58 PM »

Well when I rp I like to have options. Shadow is very op, so much so he shouldn't be allowed to rp.
Joking.

Anywho as for said options. There's a topic I posted years back. (http://forum.shinobilegends.com/index.php/topic,7738.0.html) That's it right there, that posed a guideline for rp things.

So I either rp with Shadow full power or will (if the other party will also) nerf it following that guideline with some alterations if needed.

I say going from having all jutsu and 4 kg to 2 kg and like 3 jutsu is better. Like I said I will even nerf more if it's for a good reason and the other participants do as well.
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 18 queries.