Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ever wondered if your ideas have been talked about in the forum already? Well, try out the "search" option, where all your questions can be answered.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Nature Shots  (Read 3812 times)

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
Nature Shots
« on: June 08, 2016, 03:48:33 PM »

So this is some sort of water maple in my front yards taken last fall. As you can see I live in the woods, however that guard rail does indeed protect the highway from my depredations. So location, location, location. Isn't that what the realtors always say? god, all I could see when i bought the place was running water and an inside toilet.
Oh well...

I married a mortgage. Divorce is desired but I am so catholic. Yeah!

Check the spiny greeks planted to the left. I dream of 50 foot hedges nightly! The wood pile is my devious plot to block the road one night with a huge protest bon fire. Sick of the gas industry and their convoy of trucks hauling fluids to fracking sites all night long. But hey, drilling has absolutely no impact on the environment, right?

I know, suck it up Emily.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
Re: Nature Shots
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 04:00:34 PM »

Luna Moth. Its hanging out on a tray of tomato, broccoli, and pepper plants about 2 weeks ago. he came around for 2 nights and was gone. They have been a constant source of fleeting beauty in my life over the years arriving for such a short time in the manner of their illusive kind. This was a midnight photo shoot with a mag light for illumination, they are indeed night creatures.

Why yes, that is a hideous plastic table cloth, thank you for noticing. Don't worry, one night I improved its look greatly by leaving a candle burning in a glass jar all night. Melted a hole not only in the table cloth but the plastic table too! Don't you just love plastic decor?

I am just that talented.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 04:36:57 PM by KayentaMoenkopi »

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 04:18:26 PM »

March of the Cicadas is in full swing. Their drone is like permanent tinnitus even inside the house or driving down the road with the windows rolled up on the car. This is a 17 year brood and you can see them on that water maple out front. They dig their way out of the ground and begin crawling up the side of the tree until prompted by their strange biologic clocks to hatch and then go do buggy things like breed, eat, and die. As kids we used to tie strings to them and they would fly around in big circles...yes, it is a hill billy kite. Deal with it!

This one is busy hatching. I think their red eyes are so cool!

And as husks, no those are not peanuts but roughly the same size, eventually fall off to the ground they really pile up! So there is a huge collection at the base of the tree. There truly are bazillions of them.

So...rumor control has it that a 17 year brood hatched the year of the Salem Witch trials...greatly contributing to the insanity of the times...through sound torture. You know, we had reports of horses in the area...last time they were here...eating them and getting sick and dying. I recall a woman in the witch trials was accused of making cattle sick with her wicked spells. Hmmm...

Oh yes, recall me griping about the gas industry? Well this year it is so odd. Many of the adults are lying around dead too, their wings are crumpled up and malformed. I don't suppose having to crawl through ground that no way in hell could have been contaminated by the chemicals in fracking fluids...all known endocrine inhibitors...would have had ANY IMPACT! I really wish I could take pictures of the frogs in our water lily pond, but sadly there are no frogs at all this year!

So yeah, don't even get me started on mountain top removal. Gonna change our state motto from Almost Heaven to Almost Level. Hilary, you know what you can do with your proposed 30 billion dollar hush money to the coal communities. Please bitch; don't give my neighbor a band-aid when what the whole state needs is a blood transfusion.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 04:53:49 PM by KayentaMoenkopi »

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 11:40:07 PM »

So today I had to rescue an eastern box turtle from my front steps. How in the world he got up there I have no idea. And no, the kids have not gone out much today as it is quite rainy on this 4th of July. I blame Thunderbolt and Istalri! And no, this is not Thunderbolt. He has a lot more orange in his shell than this little guy.

You can see in this shot he has an old injury to his shell. A chunk is missing from the rear frill. I was worried he was missing a leg but when I picked him up they all came out and worked in the air like the dickens to get away from me. I put him down in the yard and fully expect him to rape my tomatoes when they come on later this summer!

Chinote

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 11:43:59 PM »

I thought this was going to be about doing shots of like, maple syrup and whiskey or fresh fruit juice and vodka or something.

TakaharuChusaki

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 09:10:48 PM »

So I live in a small city and my yard has but four trees. But my girlfriend and I have a small veggie garden and some other flowers including these lilies.

Today we went for a walk by the nearby river and saw an island of mallard ducks. Not the best quality pics but you can see them.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 09:18:18 PM »

these are great! that lake looks shallow enough to wade in too. Ah I miss the water so much!

TakaharuChusaki

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 09:23:14 PM »

I do believe I mentioned it was a river. And yes, it's quite shallow but there's no easy access to the river within the city. However I'm not too far from a canoe landing that doubles as a swimming hole.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 10:51:31 PM »

For the life of me I can not find an identification for this wildflower. I have looked through the directory for WV and it just is not there. Either it is incomplete or this is some immigrant the state road seeded.

Anyway, it grows along side the road and today when the Lady I work for and I were running around we stopped to pick flowers.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 10:59:20 PM »

I like how my trees...the forest...in the back yard turn all red in the fall. Its just breath taking to see all those rolling hills with the various colors, but they are predominately red to the back of the house.

That pine to the left is a hemlock tree and spits little pine cones everywhere, while the dead looking thing on the right is a walnut. The first to leaf out in the spring and the first to drop their leaves in the fall. And big nuts in green husks all over the driveway. don't dare park there when the nuts are on!

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 11:05:54 PM »

My 20 minute drive to work is like this the whole way except for where it opens out onto hay fields or cattle fields, which are pretty narrow. The hills around here are pretty close together and don't have a lot of clear cut areas like back in the 1950s, as I am told. People moved away and stopped farming and the forests took over. Note the paved road. It's only a season old. Typically the state road will let it pot hole out for about 5 years before they do anything to it. Last year it was pretty tricky weaving all over the road so as not to get swallowed whole by some of them or to break an axle.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 04:27:09 AM by KayentaMoenkopi »

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 11:25:59 PM »

In addition to the curves and blind turns and oncoming traffic, there is frequently hazards on the drive to work just from the wild life. Squirrels and possums all over the place.

On this particular morning, it was the wild turkey. And I mean the birds, not the drink! There were two hens, they typically get all their nestlings together and then go run around as a community for added protection. I managed to only get a shot of a small portion as they shy a lot and are quick.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 11:34:49 PM »

And of course the deer. This one time I got my car insurance cancelled for hitting 3 deer in one year. It's frikken WV people...

anyway, the insurance adjuster came and she was telling me that the big wigs up in Illinois couldn't believe all the deer incidents and were coming down to investigate...and yes, they hit a deer on the way.

Still cancelled me though. Grrrrr

These are white tale deer cross bred generations ago with the mule deer. Legend has it that back in the depression era the deer in WV were no bigger than a collie. Pure white tails. And so few that most people could go years without ever having seen one. Hard times, over hunting to survive. So the DNR decided to bring in the mule deer to beef up the herd and now we are over run. I swear if I don't get to harvest my green beans this year because of them it will be hunting season all year round at my house!

You literally can be issued a licence to kill them as vermin. But what the governor don't know...I certainly will not be volunteering!

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 08:30:08 PM »

I am happy to announce that finally, one tiny little frog has returned to my pond. Not as many as in previous years and not showing up until July instead of early spring, but a real live frog all the same!

Ѕhadow

• Roleplay Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 08:33:44 PM »

I am happy to announce that finally, one tiny little frog has returned to my pond. Not as many as in previous years and not showing up until July instead of early spring, but a real live frog all the same!

Have you kissed it yet?! :D
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 17 queries.