Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please report outages in the thread "messages/server outages", Thanks.

Author Topic: Economics of Naruto  (Read 2698 times)

Vail

• View Profile
Economics of Naruto
« on: November 24, 2016, 05:39:29 AM »

So I was thinking just now and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in fleshing out the economics of ninja villages and countries? This was something that Kishimoto never expounded on save for saying that 1 ryo is equal to 10 yen (or about a dime in the U.S.) and explaining how much ninjas are payed per mission based on their rank.

I think it'd be fun to do, plus it gives us the opportunity to learn more about macroeconomics, which is always exciting and useful to know.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
Re: Economics of Naruto
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 07:35:28 AM »

Would be more or less useless on SL as we don't use ryo/yen IC for anything. On other RP forums I've seen them implement money as part of the RP. It would allow you to upgrade weapons/armor and buy certain things. On SL, however, you just say 'I built that cause I can' and poof you have it now. Not a blacksmith at all in RP? Doesn't matter you somehow made the world's most powerful armor ever made. Not trying to point at people.

That's my take. It would be useless on SL as the site is unrestricted. We could rework SL from the ground up, but fat chance of that.

----------------------------------
(Yes I know 10 Yen doesn't equal 1 Dime. It's actually 11 Yen, but to save for easy mathing it's rounded)

1 Ryo = 10 Yen = 1 Dime |

10 Dimes = 1 Dollar

10 Ryo = 1 Dollar
100 Ryo = 10 Dollars
1,000 Ryo = 100 Dollars
10,000 Ryo = 1,000 Dollars

And so on..

From that standpoint ^ it's easy as hell to figure it out. To go in more depth we would need a lot more info on the villages which hasn't been released or isn't even real. How exactly did you want to go about this?

Would need population counts the countries productivity.
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Becquerel

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 02:24:08 PM »

The few times I've used currency in RP (two, I think), I used 100 ryo = 1 dollar = 1 gold kind of exchange rate. It stinks that we don't use currency more, but it's kind of like chakra at this point. It just doesn't matter :(
100 push ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10km running every single day.

Warren

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 10:15:47 PM »

Money as money serves no purpose, correct. Turn it into a plot item with some semblance of IC worth though, and it can have its uses. One of my guys for example got dragged into the brawl with edo Kirk when he went to pay Kite for a mission he had earlier delivered to Konoha.

Vail

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 03:40:37 PM »

Money as money serves no purpose, correct. Turn it into a plot item with some semblance of IC worth though, and it can have its uses. One of my guys for example got dragged into the brawl with edo Kirk when he went to pay Kite for a mission he had earlier delivered to Konoha.

Exactly. I wanted to give it some IC value. It'll give us more things to roleplay about and give characters (IC) incentive to go on missions and stuff.

Vail

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 03:47:51 PM »

Would be more or less useless on SL as we don't use ryo/yen IC for anything. On other RP forums I've seen them implement money as part of the RP. It would allow you to upgrade weapons/armor and buy certain things. On SL, however, you just say 'I built that cause I can' and poof you have it now. Not a blacksmith at all in RP? Doesn't matter you somehow made the world's most powerful armor ever made. Not trying to point at people.

That's my take. It would be useless on SL as the site is unrestricted. We could rework SL from the ground up, but fat chance of that.

----------------------------------
(Yes I know 10 Yen doesn't equal 1 Dime. It's actually 11 Yen, but to save for easy mathing it's rounded)

1 Ryo = 10 Yen = 1 Dime |

10 Dimes = 1 Dollar

10 Ryo = 1 Dollar
100 Ryo = 10 Dollars
1,000 Ryo = 100 Dollars
10,000 Ryo = 1,000 Dollars

And so on..

From that standpoint ^ it's easy as hell to figure it out. To go in more depth we would need a lot more info on the villages which hasn't been released or isn't even real. How exactly did you want to go about this?

Would need population counts the countries productivity.

We could all work together to create the additional information about the villages. You know, engage in some real worldbuilding.

This reddit link delves into the issue a bit and highlights some of the problems with figuring out how economics works in Naruto based on the information we've been given.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 04:45:42 PM »

The only way I would be into spending time doing this is if it were actually implemented in the game.
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 04:53:55 PM »

We could all work together to create the additional information about the villages. You know, engage in some real worldbuilding.

This reddit link delves into the issue a bit and highlights some of the problems with figuring out how economics works in Naruto based on the information we've been given.

Well, the first place to look for making an economy in SL RP is not the people nor the money, in my opinion, but the goods. Who is buying what in the SL world? In-game there are a ton of stuff to buy; mercenaries, dwellings, weapons, armor, booze, food, dwelling guards, mounts, specialty switch training, opportunity to win at gambling, healing, etc.

Most importantly to the in-game "economy", very little of this can regularly be obtained for absolute free. You need some jangle to advance.

In RP, that's not the case. Like, at all. However, we do have the advantage of having an in-game "economy" to base a RP-based one on. A village with more shops and things to spend money on, naturally, is going to have more general income (unless it's closed off and/or limited) than a village that has only free to do sightseeing stuff.

Getting back to one of the most important things I noted earlier, what would IC people buy and why when they can, for the time being, get it for complete free through the power of words?
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Rusaku

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 07:46:00 PM »

The only thing I could think of for an economy is trying to incorporate DP as the main source of currency. It can purchase IC and OOC commodities as well as other things within the game itself such as name changes, picture changes, so on and so forth.

Though I will echo what Eric said in that we need to establish what we would buy with this money. As Shadow mentioned before, people can just will whatever item they want into existence with a paragraph and a half on a wikia page. We would almost need to implement class specialties or whatever. Kinda like Sword Art Online (Gross, I know) with their class system. They have cooks, blacksmiths and other roles that serve to establish their place within the universe I'm sure.

On the other hand, DP won't work for lesser items like trying to purchase food in an RP, or lodging if you are traveling between villages. I never really put much thought into money at this point. Ryoji has always RPed having great wealth, but never was this really a plot point of any kind, just for convenience sake when it came to nuance RP. I'm not sure there really is any way to monetize nuance RP. 
If you can't beat them, eat them.

-Jeffrey dahmer

Warren

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 11:30:43 PM »

No non-stressful way imo. Hence why I said its better not to even try, but instead try make money either the target or tied into the target of some RP instead. Use dat creativity yo.

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 17 queries.