Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please report outages in the thread "messages/server outages", Thanks.

Author Topic: The power of an NPC  (Read 2768 times)

Rusaku

• View Profile
The power of an NPC
« on: May 19, 2017, 04:12:54 AM »

I have a pretty simple question. What is the limit on power that you can give an NPC?

I know the Hyuuga clan and Uchiha clan leaders once Rped having NPCs with the corresponding KG, but I don't know if that trend was/is commonplace or was an isolated incident for the sake of RP.

I also want to know people's opinions about making old characters into NPCs, so you don't have to just sit them on a shelf if you don't RP with them too often.
If you can't beat them, eat them.

-Jeffrey dahmer

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
Re: The power of an NPC
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 05:54:28 AM »

The limit of power you give an NPC corresponds directly with whom you play with. So direct it towards what you think their play-styles are.

Base rule is just a well rounded NPC who isn't too powerful or overly weak.

Don't make them a Goku, but don't make them a Hercule either. I feel Piccolo would be a nice medium overall.

Making an old character into an NPC depends on the character....as you know most people's characters are Madara level and if you just pool them into the NPC role it would counter-dict what I just said. You can make any character you want an NPC, but you usually will have to nerf them if you intend to have a good RP with others.
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Becquerel

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
Re: The power of an NPC
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 03:50:41 PM »

All my NPCs have strong points and weak points :) Honestly, they're fleshed out enough to be full-fledged characters...But I would never have enough time to manage all those forest fights! lol

But when it comes to NPCs I generate, either as a permanent status or situational, I try to come up with at least some kind of back-story to them to dictate their personalities and actions...Even if their backstory may never come up in my time being here. But as for power-levels for my permanent NPCs (that are fighters), I try to make them on the same level as player characters so they could at least go toe-to-toe, if not a bit weaker. But even if they may be a bit weaker, they're each specialized in their own way.

But then again, I'm not the kind of person who thinks NPCs should just be fodder for players to kill willy-nilly because they're 'useless'. Even if a few nondescript villagers get killed off, something will either happen because of it.
100 push ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10km running every single day.

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 17 queries.