Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please petition corrupted/Badnavs in game, nothing can be done from the forums.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Memories  (Read 8455 times)

Jestar

• View Profile
Re: Memories
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 05:04:56 PM »

I personally don't really have much beef beyond using a tailed beast to 'teach' the current user a past user's techniques or some sort.

Biju techs or any tech?
Death and Taxes. Lots of Death and Taxes.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 08:56:38 PM »

I believe that it would be a very bad idea for the bijū to have any recollection of its previous containers. It just spells for meta-gaming disaster, especially if the two competing souls do not like each other.

It's just a cheap, easy way out to gain information without doing actual IC work.
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Warren

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 08:59:10 PM »

Seems general opinion is either name and personality, or simply nothing.

Old Man Xia

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 03:08:43 AM »

Seems general opinion is either name and personality, or simply nothing.

+2

"Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired"

Rusaku

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2017, 03:43:52 AM »

I get a general sense that this decision is motivated by personal insecurity of your own characters opposed to what is an objective outlook on the situation. You're also overestimating what can be done with a name and affiliation. Look at Dart for example, since he seems so worried that someone is going to find out anything about his character. If I have your name and affiliation I'm still going to have to deal with the fact you never step foot outside Kirigakure, which is surrounded by chakra eating mist and a million other defenses. Then, assuming I get past that, I have to deal with the entire hidden mist village in addition to you in order to do whatever it is I'm trying to do. The only thing that has become easier for me, is narrowing my search parameters, and maybe some knowledge on 2 of possibly 4-5 kekkie genkai depending on how you run your character.

Or let's use Eric as another. Eric Nara only gives me the information that you would have Shadow manipulation. If I otherwise knew nothing about you, I would still be in the dark on the entirety of your arsenal save for one Hiden. You could have any number of KG and I wouldn't be able to extrapolate even one (other than maybe whatever KG is related to the beast in question). Not only this, but The Nara Order wouldn't have registered as a blip on my radar, so I wouldn't even know where to begin when it comes to finding you.

That's two examples of why having a name and affiliation wouldn't equate to anything outlandish for the host in question to have, and even if you could extrapolate a fair amount of information, you still have to have the skill to follow up on it, which falls upon the host.

I also find it disturbing that people are so willing to conflate "easy" and "metagaming" into one concept. Just because one thing is easier to achieve over something else does not make it somehow against the rules.

As for knowing who has been a tailed beast host in the past, I'm sure plenty of us have extensive knowledge of previous hosts, save for those whom only lasted a handful of weeks at a time, and each can likely be proven by searching through old threads on this very forum. I know for a fact there is a thread where people were discussing the official release of what the beasts actually looked like however many years ago that was. Back when Toumaster had an 8 headed snake for the 8 tails. We ca go plenty far back to observe a great number of the hosts.

But really, if the community genuinely believes it's more fair to just have the beasts memory wiped, then fine, it's no skin off my teeth. I would actually be far better off, because I can't interact with a certain host right now because his beast would have information on me that would really stir the pot. I just want this decision made based on an objective outlook, and not people looking for another way to bury their heads in the sand.         
If you can't beat them, eat them.

-Jeffrey dahmer

Timothy

• View Profile
    • Shinobi Legends Biography
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2017, 06:14:09 AM »

Eh, I always assumed part of hosting a tailed beast came with risks like people gaining info on your toon, if they actually public ally rp'd talking to it after they got on speaking terms. Then again, I always operated under the assumption that all of my characters techniques would be somehow known by name and easily countered (not that such is reasonably the case) to make my own strategy more flexible.

As long as someone isn't using a tailed beast to say learn the secret techniques of a past host, I'm game. (to elaborate for Jestar)
Every life has meaning, never lose sight of that.

Warren

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2017, 12:22:26 PM »

I said personality, not affiliation. I doubt a beast would even give a damn about human 'affiliations' or anything lol.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2017, 12:35:59 AM »

...Or let's use Eric as another. Eric Nara only gives me the information that you would have Shadow manipulation. If I otherwise knew nothing about you, I would still be in the dark on the entirety of your arsenal save for one Hiden...

Eric is a bad example, because his Nara Hiden is 60% if not more of his arsenal, and the vast majority of his tactics revolve around shadow imitation. He has grown more diverse since our characters last fought, but not to the extent where shadow imitation is still not his main schitck. That's how the character has been written, turning shadow imitation into a jack of all trades that can do just about anything.

Granted he rarely if ever wins using just his shadow imitation because his fame for it makes it a given that most would know the basics of how to avoid them (similarl to sharingan: genjutsu). The only time he wins with shadow imitation is tricking people into getting caught, and that is super hard if the opposing player knows its coming way beforehand.

Objective outlook is that tailed beasts having lots of information on previous hosts and being able to tell their enemies about it would be a serious tradeoff to befriending the beast or even being a jinchurikii at all, a tradeoff that nobody wants to have used against them. What if the beast feels some loyalty towards a previous host? Why do the beasts seem to be willing to give out their power from host to host given a certain amount of time, universally? Usually when beasts are hand switched the RPer behind them also changes, meaning possibly an entirely new personality, quirks, etc.

If tailed beasts start remembering past information about their host more RPwise, then they should be harder to befriend after they have been with a prior host for a certain amount of time (say, mastery), and each beast would essentially need to have a RP history.

I will give you that compiling and presenting a list of all known jinchurikii/summoners using information from the forum, wikia, etc. is possible, but often times the RP that would back up having specific knowledge (like techniques) would still be lacking. Most of the forum records usually show OOC records.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Ethaniel

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2017, 02:41:43 AM »

I'm going to agree that having the Tailed Beast hand out information beyond a name and maybe a physical description would cause complications, and add my vote that we limit it to that. I don't agree with the idea that it's metagaming (because it is a reasonable way to gather information; you're not drawing from a source that's outside of the scope of the character you're learning about, nor of the game itself), but arguing what a Tailed Beast does or doesn't know about a prior host sounds like something that would need to end in arbitration, and I really don't think anyone wants to deal with that sort of a situation.

I'll use Ethaniel as an example (more so of the type of issues that could arise, since he was never a host). Which of his techniques could the Beast have learned: the ones he had used in combat, or all of the ones in his repertoire? Would it include knowledge that he himself was no longer privy to, due to his lost memories? Could the Beast pass on his energy signature, so that a new host would be able to find Ivory through it, since Ethaniel doesn't exist anymore (I'll admit this isn't one that would come up outside of this specific example, but it's a question worth asking)? And these are only a few of the things that could come up in a debate about the knowledge a Tailed Beast carries of its previous host, if we were to allow it to work that way.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 02:55:14 AM by Ethaniel »
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.