Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New members: you need admin approval, please petition *in game* if you made an account. :)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unlocking Topic(s)  (Read 10507 times)

Gyu~ru~ru

• Site Staff (Moderator)
    • View Profile
Unlocking Topic(s)
« on: November 21, 2006, 06:44:43 PM »

Well, I would like to ask whomever that locked the "Define the word game" to unlock it. It's kidda sad that it got locked just when more people are starting to play ._.

Xaos

• Site Staff (Moderator)
  • Alpha Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Unlocking Topic(s)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 07:03:00 PM »

Though I didn't lock it, I'll unlock it unless someone else gives a reason why it was locked.

Baluski

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 07:53:27 PM »

I didn't lock it either, but that thread just seems like another one of those "increase my post count with no effort" type of threads seeing as it has absoulutely no content to it.
Everytime a thread is locked, a penguin dies.

Obey the moderator!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTLwiccIOxI

kboogi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 11:41:21 PM »

I did not touch it either, honest....
 :roll:
Pope'en ain't easy...

Respect the moderators!

DeAtHdEmOn

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 12:05:32 AM »

I think it was a good idea.
But never the less...it's locked..I think.

Lebis

• Ya'll ever see a Vyloria around? Probs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 05:42:04 AM »

Me.

Same reason as Sin's threads were locked.

They don't stay on one topic.
I'd love to check where my old friends are. My discord is always open. Let's catch up! 

Discord - Vyloria#9279

SinHarvest

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 06:20:45 AM »

Me.

Same reason as Sin's threads were locked.

They don't stay on one topic.
dont remind me :cry: :cry: :cry:

LeafToad

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 12:52:43 PM »

Agh come on, just let us have a little fun in the spam section. >.>

The topic of the game "define the word" and that was exactly what we were doing, defining words. :)

I must say that for a game that big, the off topic banter was kept to a minimum, for once,  so it was a controlled topic. And if people are just trying to increase their posts on the game, I saw no one double or even triple post. It was a nice, simple game... so let us have it back. :)

[offtopic]P.S Why was my last post deleted?[/offtopic]

Baluski

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 06:44:42 PM »

The topic of the game "define the word" and that was exactly what we were doing, defining words. :)

Not a single person defined a word.

de‧fine  /dɪˈfaɪn/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[di-fahyn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb -fined, -fin‧ing.

–verb (used with object) 1. to state or set forth the meaning of (a word, phrase, etc.): They disagreed on how to define “liberal.” 
2. to explain or identify the nature or essential qualities of; describe: to define judicial functions. 
3. to fix or lay down definitely; specify distinctly: to define one's responsibilities. 
4. to determine or fix the boundaries or extent of: to define property with stakes. 
5. to make clear the outline or form of: The roof was boldly defined against the sky. 
–verb (used without object) 6. to set forth the meaning of a word, phrase, etc.; construct a definition. 
Everytime a thread is locked, a penguin dies.

Obey the moderator!

SinHarvest

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 08:47:20 PM »

one by one, the games lock, the fun ends, and soon we will become shells of our former selfs, anger solves nothing, an explanation is out of order, hold your tounge? and it only continues, understand this though, THe forum is a monarchy, and we are but lowly peasents........

LeafToad

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 11:28:25 PM »

Yes, in fact, it could be classified as defining words. >.>

–verb (used with object) 1. to state or set forth the meaning of (a word, phrase, etc.): They disagreed on how to define “liberal.” 
2. to explain or identify the nature or essential qualities of; describe: to define judicial functions. 
3. to fix or lay down definitely; specify distinctly: to define one's responsibilities. 
4. to determine or fix the boundaries or extent of: to define property with stakes. 
5. to make clear the outline or form of: The roof was boldly defined against the sky. 
–verb (used without object) 6. to set forth the meaning of a word, phrase, etc.; construct a definition. 

K, describing something...

"What reminds you of the following word: Colors"
"Purple"
"Green"

That is describing, which is the definition of defining something. When you define any word, you must use other words to describe the word, and that is what they were doing.

I believe that it would be defining something if you only say one particular thing about it.

For example: "How would you define a parrot?" "A bird" That is a description, and a description = a definition.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 11:30:20 PM by LeafToad »

Lebis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 11:49:27 PM »

That game didn't do that...

For every question asked.. I hardly EVER saw a word being defined.

In fact, I was extremely confused when I even looked at the topic in the first place.
I'd love to check where my old friends are. My discord is always open. Let's catch up! 

Discord - Vyloria#9279

LeafToad

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 11:56:26 PM »

I must disagree, definitions can be translated into many ways, no matter how small the detail is. If someone told you that you had green eyes, wouldn't that still be defining the person? It is defining a small detail about them... and I saw that mostly being done in the topic. Gyu said a word, and someone stated a detail about it, this was especially in the first page of the topic.

On a side note... isn't this spam? If you really have a problem with how long it is/don't get why it is even a valuable topic, then why not just look over it? Is it really that annoying that it just has to be locked. If the topic is going how it should, I say overlook it, people shouldn't be afraid of their topics being locked because it is too long, were topics really meant to have an extent?

Lebis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 12:13:42 AM »

Okay, ask yourself this...

If that was the case.. Would we even need moderators on the forum? No.

Why do you think the moderators were hired? So we could just sit around on our asses and not lock any topic that gets a bit too off topic rather than staying on one topic? No. It doesn't work that way.

Ask yourself another question...

Look over the topic that was locked...

"Do I really see any point to this topic at all?" "Is locking topics so bad that I have to bitch about it? Especially when all the moderator is doing is his/her job?"

Think about it.

Make sure you don't leave obvious openings for me to retaliate to. Because I damn well will do it.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 12:15:00 AM by Lebis »

Discord - Vyloria#9279

Neji

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2006, 12:28:08 AM »

Well, name a topic "Spam" in the Spam Thread and post real nonsense in there, that's best.

Colour -> Green

does not describe the colour,as Green is a special Colour, in that case.

Baluski has a point.

When you describe something, you clarify something.
Never judge a cow by its udder.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 5.045 seconds with 20 queries.