Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New members: you need admin approval, please petition *in game* if you made an account. :)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Latin Translation  (Read 9510 times)

shikotsumyaku

Re: Latin Translation
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 01:15:22 AM »

If it's a dead language, then won't there be like no one who understands it(or maybe they do, but they understand another one better)?

I just don't see the point in translating into latin..Or am I missing something?

*notices your motto thingy "so be it"*

yeah your missing it, its called fun, its fun to challenge your self with something hard like translating and reading an entire website in latin ;)

Shukaku

• How can my feet smell if they don't have a nose??
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 01:19:03 AM »

I see no fun in it...
I'm back to SL !

shikotsumyaku

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2007, 01:22:25 AM »

I see no fun in it...

then you're blind, you have eyes and a mind, use them!

KingCyrus

• So be it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2007, 01:25:31 AM »

If it's a dead language, then won't there be like no one who understands it(or maybe they do, but they understand another one better)?

I just don't see the point in translating into latin..Or am I missing something?

yeah your missing it, its called fun, its fun to challenge your self with something hard like translating and reading an entire website in latin ;)

What is the purpose of translating the game into a different language? I'm pretty sure it's for people to have an easier time to understand the game in their own native/fluent language. In case they only have basic knowledge in english..Or even none..
This will also provide the game with new players, thus more donations (logically) and an expansion of the game.

At least I think that's what Neji thinks.

If practically no one speaks latin or, like I said in my other post, speaks another language fluently (which they probably do, because latin is *dead*) it makes it a waste of time.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 01:26:33 AM by KingCyrus »
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. But if my fate is to die, then I must simply laugh. -Magus

shikotsumyaku

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2007, 01:32:23 AM »

What is the purpose of translating the game into a different language? I'm pretty sure it's for people to have an easier time to understand the game in their own native/fluent language. In case they only have basic knowledge in english..Or even none..
This will also provide the game with new players, thus more donations (logically) and an expansion of the game.

If practically no one speaks latin or, like I said in my other post, speaks another language fluently (which they probably do, because latin is *dead*) it makes it a waste of time.

but it is not a waste of your time, it is a waste of mine, though i do not see it as a waste, so what if nearly no one uses it, i would, anyways, the descision is your neji, just make me a mod and i will get right on it.

yes, latin is a dead langauge, but i want to use it for the game, and maybe a few other people would too...

KingCyrus

• So be it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2007, 01:34:49 AM »

but it is not a waste of your time, it is a waste of mine, though i do not see it as a waste, so what if nearly no one uses it, i would, anyways, the descision is your neji, just make me a mod and i will get right on it.

yes, latin is a dead langauge, but i want to use it for the game, and maybe a few other people would too...

A translator is not a moderator...And yes, it's Neji's decision..I just wanted to give out my opinion on this.
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. But if my fate is to die, then I must simply laugh. -Magus

Shukaku

• How can my feet smell if they don't have a nose??
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2007, 01:36:04 AM »

This is going to use precious space in the server, and i don't think people will play this in latin. even if it's for "fun".
I'm back to SL !

Ace

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2007, 01:55:05 AM »

I agree with KingCycrus because no one is going to learn Latin just because it's on SL.....not for the fun of it..unless they already wanted to...so far I don't see many good points about translating in Latin

shikotsumyaku

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2007, 02:17:00 AM »

i can name at least three people that would for shure, and maybe more as a possibility, i would really like to do as i want to veiw the site in latin, but once again, neji's descision
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 02:28:27 AM by shikotsumyaku »

Lebis

• Ya'll ever see a Vyloria around? Probs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2007, 02:30:48 AM »

Well for one.. your translations are used in English background, not Latin. You cannot use an English format when speaking Latin. Like several other languages, one word in Latin could mean two or three in English.

Here's a title of a song I know:

Aperite mihi portas justitiae.

Tell me what that means please.

Lyric:

Gressus in eas confitebor Domino.

Or that. I know *exactly* what it means, so I'll be able to tell if you're a fake.
I'd love to check where my old friends are. My discord is always open. Let's catch up! 

Discord - Vyloria#9279

Mithras

• Beatus ille, qui procul negotiis
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2007, 11:55:04 AM »

Well Latin was a top subject for me as well and I really like latin (I read all the ancient authors in latin just for fun...), but it´s not a spoken language any more and if you try to tell me that it can be used to communicate with it your are completly wrong. The latin we use today is the latin cicero "created" and it is really artificial but as a written not spoken language!
->I would say that we don´t need it.

But I´m amazed about your latin and as lebis I think that there might be something wrong *tools* but if you really translated it by yourself I´m truly amazed...

shikotsumyaku

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2007, 01:31:42 PM »

i will admit that my latin may be slightly off (possibly the whole "artificial" thing) i have tried studying latin, but havent taken any classes or anything so, possibly my latin may be a little off, but if the people who i think are going to read it, then it wont matter if there is a small mistake, and this kinda proves im a littlee rough, but i cant make out all of lebis's latin words, hers what a can make out:

mihi= "me" or "land", possibly, give me land or close to that

in= in, into, etc.

okay that looks bad, but those words are confusing, they dont make a whole lot of sense to me...

maybe i should try researching them, instead of just thinking about what i can remember  8)

Mithras

• Beatus ille, qui procul negotiis
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2007, 01:49:59 PM »

Aperite mihi portas justitiae = give me land or close to that???

Are you sure...
(I´m not sure about aperite but it sounds more like)
"Bring" me to the doors of justice         but as I said I´m not so sure as well

shikotsumyaku

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2007, 04:51:36 PM »

Are you sure...
"Bring" me to the doors of justice         but as I said I´m not so sure as well

i agree with everything you just said, but it still doesnt make perfect sense
mithras, would you use the site in latin if you could?

...and neji, when you see this message i would like to know if i can trnaslate or not, i waited quite a few days last time i applied for something, i dont want that to happen again since you dont log in that much, i need a yes or no, and soon please?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 04:56:51 PM by shikotsumyaku »

Camel

• Global Moderator
  • 01010100 01100001 01100011 01101111 01110011
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2007, 09:27:11 PM »

Are you sure...

i agree with everything you just said, but it still doesnt make perfect sense
mithras, would you use the site in latin if you could?

...and neji, when you see this message i would like to know if i can trnaslate or not, i waited quite a few days last time i applied for something, i dont want that to happen again since you dont log in that much, i need a yes or no, and soon please?

Why in Latin?
I agree only few know the language...I speak a few words of it myself yet the others that play the game don't.
I sure wouldn't use it...do you know any countries that DO use it? Oddly none do...do they?
You were revoked from the team for a reason and your Latin does seem off...
I suggest studying the real language to get more in-depth with it and not using Online translation tools.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 20 queries.