Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please petition corrupted/Badnavs in game, nothing can be done from the forums.

Poll

Should we use fighting zone pictures?

Yes
- 19 (76%)
No
- 6 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Fighting Zones Pictures, YES OR NO?  (Read 7948 times)

.Seraphim.

Re: Fighting Zones Pictures, YES OR NO?
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2008, 01:38:39 AM »

Let's use some examples: Do the pictures for zones 3 and 4 help you in any way visualize the rest of the zone? They're pictures of lightning and lava respectively. You don't know what those look like? And let's look at the one for zone 9. You don't know what a telephone poll looks like? Geez. -_-

Gyu~ru~ru

• Site Staff (Moderator)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2008, 01:59:07 AM »

Why do town have pictures? Isn't is better if we just visualize how the towns look like?

Why do forest enemies have pictures? Wouldn't it be cooler without them since we can visualize their attack more?

Why do mounts have pictures? They would be livelier if we just use our imagination.

Why do events have pictures? It would be cooler if we can visualize some of the events ourselves *cough* Hinata *cough*...

The pictures give players something else to look at besides tons & tons of text. It also helps those with poor English or doesn't watch Naruto to visualize some events, how the town looks like, how the enemies look like, & such.

Younger players might enjoy the game more as the pictures give the game a picture story book-look instead of a boring text book.

If you don't like having pictures, then turn if off.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 02:03:44 AM by Gyu~ru~ru »

doomstar

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2008, 02:28:12 AM »

Why do town have pictures? Isn't is better if we just visualize how the towns look like?

Why do forest enemies have pictures? Wouldn't it be cooler without them since we can visualize their attack more?

Why do mounts have pictures? They would be livelier if we just use our imagination.

Why do events have pictures? It would be cooler if we can visualize some of the events ourselves *cough* Hinata *cough*...

The pictures give players something else to look at besides tons & tons of text. It also helps those with poor English or doesn't watch Naruto to visualize some events, how the town looks like, how the enemies look like, & such.

Younger players might enjoy the game more as the pictures give the game a picture story book-look instead of a boring text book.

I visualize that part mentally anyways >.>;

and seriously, is there anything bad that could happen from pictures?

Mihamaru

• Pssh! Ikki and Sora don't have **** on me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2008, 02:30:15 AM »

The zones are an event?
Wrong section kiddo.

About the pictures, I am leaning towards a Maybe - No.
Roleplay is about using your imagination.
I can paint a mental picture when fighting in the zones, I don't need pictures for my jutsus and etc.
Besides pictures don't define Roleplay. ;)

Problem is, there are two people.
Conflicing mental images will arise at some point.

(S): >.>; Duuuuuude.. do you have Yuri?

(K) -_____________-; Ask Miha.. hes da Master! xD

Shigeo

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2008, 06:21:49 PM »

Why do town have pictures? Isn't is better if we just visualize how the towns look like? Yes, yes it is better, which is what I'm saying about the zones.

Why do forest enemies have pictures? Wouldn't it be cooler without them since we can visualize their attack more? I already do.

Why do mounts have pictures? They would be livelier if we just use our imagination. See above two responses.

Why do events have pictures? It would be cooler if we can visualize some of the events ourselves *cough* Hinata *cough*... Few of the events have pictures, really. And Hinata being a twelve-year-old girl in the buff in those pictures for that specific event is rather....wrong. .-.

The pictures give players something else to look at besides tons & tons of text. It also helps those with poor English or doesn't watch Naruto to visualize some events, how the town looks like, how the enemies look like, & such. This is a roleplaying site. Roleplaying is the act in which 'participants assume the roles of characters and collaboratively create stories', according to Wikipedia. I don't think you create stories with pictures for every little thing, do you? As for those with poor English, do we not have several translation teams working to recreate the game in French, Spanish, etc.? And why would someone go on a Naruto roleplaying site if they don't watch Naruto, or read it? -_-

Younger players might enjoy the game more as the pictures give the game a picture story book-look instead of a boring text book. This isn't some kiddie game that any little 7-year-old can up and join. Roleplaying is serious business. >>Who in their right mind would pick a picture book over a novel anyways?

If you don't like having pictures, then turn if off. I don't like pictures in the zones. =\ Or the forest. >> Anywhere else I honestly don't care. Bit I only have the option to keep them all, or turn them all off.

Boring text book? -____- Books are not boring...ever read Stephen King's 'Dark Tower' series? How about anything by Dean Koontz, Carl Hiaasen, Christopher Moore? They have (gasp) no pictures, and yet are extremely entertaining to read. Do you want to know why? Because they describe things quite well, making it easier to picture how some things look without the need for pictures that force you to see it one specific way.

Mihamaru

• Pssh! Ikki and Sora don't have **** on me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2008, 08:25:27 PM »

aWhy do town have pictures? Isn't is better if we just visualize how the towns look like? Yes, yes it is better, which is what I'm saying about the zones.

Why do forest enemies have pictures? Wouldn't it be cooler without them since we can visualize their attack more? I already do.

Why do mounts have pictures? They would be livelier if we just use our imagination. See above two responses.

Why do events have pictures? It would be cooler if we can visualize some of the events ourselves *cough* Hinata *cough*... Few of the events have pictures, really. And Hinata being a twelve-year-old girl in the buff in those pictures for that specific event is rather....wrong. .-.

The pictures give players something else to look at besides tons & tons of text. It also helps those with poor English or doesn't watch Naruto to visualize some events, how the town looks like, how the enemies look like, & such. This is a roleplaying site. Roleplaying is the act in which 'participants assume the roles of characters and collaboratively create stories', according to Wikipedia. I don't think you create stories with pictures for every little thing, do you? As for those with poor English, do we not have several translation teams working to recreate the game in French, Spanish, etc.? And why would someone go on a Naruto roleplaying site if they don't watch Naruto, or read it? -_-

Younger plyers might enjoy the game more as the pictures give the game a picture story book-look instead of a boring text book. This isn't some kiddie game that any little 7-year-old can up and join. Roleplaying is serious business. >>Who in their right mind would pick a picture book over a novel anyways?

If you don't like having pictures, then turn if off. I don't like pictures in the zones. =\ Or the forest. >> Anywhere else I honestly don't care. Bit I only have the option to keep them all, or turn them all off.

Boring text book? -____- Books are not boring...ever read Stephen King's 'Dark Tower' series? How about anything by Dean Koontz, Carl Hiaasen, Christopher Moore? They have (gasp) no pictures, and yet are extremely entertaining to read. Do you want to know why? Because they describe things quite well, making it easier to picture how some things look without the need for pictures that force you to see it one specific way.
You missed that part, Shiggy.
Plus, odds are it would take a lot of space to be accurate to the point where everyone has the same idea.

(S): >.>; Duuuuuude.. do you have Yuri?

(K) -_____________-; Ask Miha.. hes da Master! xD

Shigeo

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2008, 09:43:03 PM »

Mihamaru, I noticed that and responded; but tell me,are the zones for 'younger players'(by which I'm assuming under the age of 10, if we really need to make it a picture story-book...which we don't), or for those who actually feel like roleplaying, using their imaginations to create an image of what a person/attack/area looks like? I don't like the pictures in the zones because it's basically saying 'this is what the zone looks like, deal with it. No imagination for you!'....and that's lame.

And you don't need to be accurate to that extent, just enough so everyone gets the basic idea of what the zone is.

Makoto

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2008, 09:44:51 PM »

"You walk in with your Shinobi tools and weapons ready and looking for a fight. You look around and notice that this zone is completely barren and covered entirely in sand with large gusts of wind frequently passing through."

That's fairly descriptive, yet short and to the point. Most people would agree that the are in a windy desert, and judging from people know about deserts in general, it should be safe to assume that their mental images will be fairly close to one another. It doesn't really matter if there's a slight variation; person A has three dunes on his left while person B has two on his right.
The images make it seem static, which is boring. Personally, I'd rather imagine it myself. Yes, a little description is nice, but if I have my own image, and someone tries to change it, it loses that 'special' quality, and it's no longer mine.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you're getting hung-up over the little details. If you're figting, shouldn't you be more focused on the fight instead of where your dunes are in respect to your opponent's?

.Seraphim.

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2008, 11:54:07 PM »

Why do town have pictures? Isn't is better if we just visualize how the towns look like? Yes, yes it is better, which is what I'm saying about the zones.

Younger players might enjoy the game more as the pictures give the game a picture story book-look instead of a boring text book. This isn't some kiddie game that any little 7-year-old can up and join. Roleplaying is serious business. >>Who in their right mind would pick a picture book over a novel anyways?

Couldn't have said it better myself. Right on, mah brotha. XD

Gyu~ru~ru

• Site Staff (Moderator)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2008, 01:00:15 AM »

Why can't you guys look at it this way, the pictures serve as a reminder of the description.

It's not like the pictures are completely inappropriate, are they? It may differ from what you imagine & describe the zones as, but Shigeo, not everyone pictures the zones the way you descrinbed them.

Secondly, this feature was requested by a player & supported by other players. We did not put them into the game just because we like pictures more than text descriptions.

Camel

• Global Moderator
  • 01010100 01100001 01100011 01101111 01110011
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2008, 01:06:32 AM »

Here's the thing I am against this.
I know it's 4 < 16
But where are those 16 players that voted so they can say their part in this?
Right now it's in favor of the others of it NOT being added.
What I feel is maybe we should have a ingame-poll about this.

Gyu~ru~ru

• Site Staff (Moderator)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2008, 01:30:35 AM »

Can't we please learn how to negotiate like adults instead of putting up a poll to shut the side that loses up whenever we cannot come to an agreement after a few discussion?

Things that you guys do not see,
1) The pictures do not describe the zones. It's the description's job to do that.
2) The pictures may get certain group of players who doesn't usually read anything that's plain text, to read the description & don't just go, "Blar, text!".
3) The pictures reminds players of what surrounds them.

Let's try to discuss this. Would it be better if the pictures were smaller? Instead of 250x320, let's make them somewhere around 150x200.

Ace

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2008, 01:36:39 AM »

Does that stand with the zone pictures?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 01:42:49 AM by ace »

Neji

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2008, 01:52:46 AM »

Just a short statement:

I put the pictures in, because I think they fit... I have done many pictures for many other locations.

Roleplay should be free, and is, a small picture won't describe the rest.

If you feel you don't like them, you may turn them (and all others) in the prefernces off (i.e. if on your way to the zones).

I have no big issue with an ingame poll, but 80% is a decent majority for me to base a decision on.
Never judge a cow by its udder.

Mioku

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2008, 06:09:22 PM »

As someone else said just see the pictures as one part of the zone and not the WHOLE thing and besides most of the pictures fit the text quite well other than the wetlands maybe and just improvise or just explain to the other person how you see the zone and make some kind of agreement on how you both see it
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 23 queries.