Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please report outages in the thread "messages/server outages", Thanks.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: (Another) new server  (Read 5006 times)

Xaos

• Site Staff (Moderator)
  • Alpha Wolf
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2006, 11:27:36 PM »

[quote:1fdb457829="Lebis"]$180 seems like... kind of a lot. We seem to able to do $100 - $130 every month without a problem though.[/quote:1fdb457829]

That's still 50$ short and if we don't hit 180$ the money is coming from Neji's pocket and I doubt he

Lebis

• Ya'll ever see a Vyloria around? Probs me.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2006, 11:33:40 PM »

I 'unno then... We're at $160.58 and it's nearly the end of the month... Maybe right now, the $180 seems to be a bit over the edge?
I'd love to check where my old friends are. My discord is always open. Let's catch up! 

Discord - Vyloria#9279

Xaos

• Site Staff (Moderator)
  • Alpha Wolf
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2006, 11:37:30 PM »

[quote:492378026b="Lebis"]I 'unno then... We're at $160.58 and it's nearly the end of the month... Maybe right now, the $180 seems to be a bit over the edge?[/quote:492378026b]

Getting 180 this month wasn't too hard. But we may need to get 180 every mo

Lebis

• Ya'll ever see a Vyloria around? Probs me.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2006, 11:45:35 PM »

I actually agree with you on the safe side... Maybe we could get Neji to maybe make donations worth a bit more in value for points and then see how much money can be raised because it seems that that's why we're getting so many donations in the first plac
I'd love to check where my old friends are. My discord is always open. Let's catch up! 

Discord - Vyloria#9279

Baluski

• View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2006, 01:18:30 AM »

[quote:2a2099795f="I Xaos I"][quote:2a2099795f="Lebis"]I 'unno then... We're at $160.58 and it's nearly the end of the month... Maybe right now, the $180 seems to be a bit over the edge?[/quote:2a2099795f]

Getting 180 this month wasn't too hard. But we
Everytime a thread is locked, a penguin dies.

Obey the moderator!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTLwiccIOxI

Neji

• Administrator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2006, 09:32:43 AM »

[quote:59a9c99f36="Lebis"]IMaybe we could get Neji to maybe make donations worth a bit more in value for points and then see how much money can be raised because it seems that that's why we're getting so many donations in the first place. But, just to be
Never judge a cow by its udder.

Neji

• Administrator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2006, 07:42:46 PM »

#double post#

just to pop it up for all again.

the $180 server is ... no longer available there, no mainboards from the manufacturer anymore. As they thorougly test the configurations, they are now looking for a new one.

So well, we only have DS7

Baluski

• View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2006, 09:22:28 PM »

Are those the only servers within our price range? Well, anything is better then the current one.

Obey the moderator!

(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2006, 01:19:48 AM »

Why not go with the ads. No one picked up on that comment, but it would make sure that Neji isn't held up if donations drop. Donations can continue so that he has backup and you guys still get your perks.

Baluski

• View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2006, 01:32:13 AM »

Yeah, I mentioned ad's a couple posts up, I see no problem with one as long as it will actually help, otherwise it will just be an annoyance.

Obey the moderator!

Neji

• Administrator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2006, 08:06:36 AM »

In fact, most stronger machines are either very expensive ($200 and up) or have yearly contracts.... and I am a bit too incertain about making a whole year contract...

So, the options are a bit limited. I am talking to another hosting company right now

Neji

• Administrator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2006, 10:32:20 PM »

*double post*

ok, just wanted to say I have the server now, and will see when I come to configuring it. I don't know if I use the standard setup or go into the roots.

(they were really fast)

kboogi

• View Profile
Re: (Another) new server
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2006, 02:57:38 AM »

I hate to bring this back up, but I was just curious what would be the next step in upgrading the server, I long for the days where I could just go to my favorites, put in my login info & relax in the world of Shniobi.... not havint to hit F5 over & over & over.......  :evil:

Or is it possible to pay some type of fee for a back door entry to the system :?:
Mods, please don't be upset with me, I'm being serious & understand donations are a factor - but I really don't know what else, I'm not too keen with the techno stuff....
Pope'en ain't easy...

Respect the moderators!

Neji

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: (Another) new server
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2006, 11:49:51 AM »

okay. it's okay you brought it up again.

my options:

a) buy a new server with more power, donations are pretty high and should easily carry it on (yet there is no better one currently... I am waiting for it to be released in september...)

b) I already have programmed (for another admin in brazil) a "visa-login" which works like a premium login... a visa-holder can login at any given time, regardless of the userlimit. (yet... I think it slighty "unfair" as it directly affects other users... once the visa-holders are logged in, they count as players... which means others have to wait much longer until the can login. That's why I am hesitating to develop it further. Also, it might be a thought that moderators may login at anytime. And visas can expire, i.e. you can buy 20 days of "always" entrance or 20 logins via the privileged login...)

the best option is surely  to wait for the new server offer and then make 1 server for SQL and one for apache/php (the new one)... so it should work out. Monthly costs would rise to about $300 to $330. (the newer server costs also EUR 150 per month, also there may be a RAID controller added which costs extra) (though the configuration would be *cough* truly high-end.) if donations decrease and the current "warchest" is reduced to 0, I could downgrade to again 1 server only.

I see the current problems. Most people (50% about) voted for 100 maxusers. Some others for 140, some for 110.
Yet, when all 100 are active, the pages get slower... as the load is really pretty high. According to the server statistics, this happens about 5-6pm east coast time. the rest of the day it's not that big a deal.

Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.