Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ever wondered if your ideas have been talked about in the forum already? Well, try out the "search" option, where all your questions can be answered.

Author Topic: Scammers: Die!  (Read 2119 times)

Demon Bandit Taumaster

Scammers: Die!
« on: August 08, 2008, 03:33:51 AM »

Since the scammers are on a rise, people cannot trust anyone when buying an account.

How do we stop this? How do we let people know who the suspected scammers are?

What if there was a page in the ShinobiWiki dedicated to suspected scammers? This page could be easily maintained by me.

How it would work:

Well, players could simply mail me ingame and report a someone who's scammed them. I will then add their name to the list and put "1" next to it. Simple as that. If a player were to report someone who's already on that list, I'll just put "2" by their name. Eventually, we'd have a good list of SUSPECTED scammers.

I could add a small description saying, "The following are suspected scammers. Next to their names is the number of times they've been reported as scamming. Buy accounts/give points at your own risk."

Then, of course, there'd be a link to this list in the Mission HQ for all players to see.

This is the only way I could think of notifying the public of suspected scammers, while not punishing them still. Maybe other anti-scammer ideas?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 03:38:34 AM by Demon Bandit Taumaster »

Camel

• Global Moderator
  • 01010100 01100001 01100011 01101111 01110011
    • View Profile
Re: Scammers: Die!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 03:38:35 AM »

Since the scammers are on a rise, people cannot trust anyone when buying an account.

How do we stop this? How do we let people know who the suspected scammers are?

What if there was a page in the ShinobiWiki dedicated to suspected scammers? This page could be easily maintained by me.

How it would work:

Well, players could simply mail me ingame and report a someone who's scammed them. I will then add their name to the list and put "1" next to it. Simple as that. If a player were to report someone who's already on that list, I'll just put "2" by their name. Eventually, we'd have a good list of SUSPECTED scammers.

I could add a small description saying, "The following are suspected scammers. Next to their names is the number of times they've been reported as scamming. Buy accounts/give points at your own risk."

Then, of course, there'd be a link to this list in the Mission HQ for all players to see.

This is the only way I could think of notifying the public of suspected scammers, while not punishing them still.

I would also like to propose something else, a list of people that you can 'trust'.
Like Recommendation list of some sort.

Demon Bandit Taumaster

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 03:40:44 AM »

I was thinking that too. A 'trusted sellers' list, as well as the 'suspected scammers' list.

The 'trusted sellers' list could work by people reporting successful account exchanges to me or another moderator and we can simply add them to the list.

Jin

• The Rai Ryuu is ready for everything...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 03:45:09 AM »

I liked the idea
but... could it be possible to ban or punish a player that have been reported more than 10 times or so?
and also before putting someone in the list, I think it would be better if someone could prove that the player really stole the points or something, like having proofs of it, like screenshots of a message, a message or something different, because it would be unfair if someone gets reported for something he didn't really do.

Demon Bandit Taumaster

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 03:47:01 AM »

I don't think Neji wants us to punish them.

It'd be really hard to prove it. Then again, that's why it's called the 'Suspected Scammers'. But basically, you would have to explain why they are a scammer (what they stole/what account you were trying to buy/etc). I'd ask for basic things before I add them.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 03:47:27 AM by Demon Bandit Taumaster »

WViper

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 03:59:01 AM »

I agree with both of these lists.
But maybe it would be better to only have a scammers list.

I say this because someone who earns the title of being "trusted" could easily use that to scam someone. It would only take a few small deals, and once they had a really nice opportunity for a nice scam they could easily take it. The goal of the original idea is to stop scams, not create them. And I feel that the "trusted" list could lead to worse scams.

Also, I'd like a bit more proof than someone’s word that someone is indeed a scammer... We all know that there's a bunch of miscommunication on here and if someone were to be falsely accused because the other person didn't understand what was going on that'd be a bit unfair. Just slapping a name up because someone says they scammed them doesn't seem right.

Lastly, would there be a way for the "suspected scammer" to be able to get their name removed from the list?

Demon Bandit Taumaster

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 04:03:02 AM »

Also, I'd like a bit more proof than someone’s word that someone is indeed a scammer... We all know that there's a bunch of miscommunication on here and if someone were to be falsely accused because the other person didn't understand what was going on that'd be a bit unfair. Just slapping a name up because someone says they scammed them doesn't seem right.

They'd need details of when/what/how many points/name. It'll be harder to falsely accuse someone that way.

Lastly, would there be a way for the "suspected scammer" to be able to get their name removed from the list?

I say that they can't until they have sold enough accounts FAIRLY (and paid people back) that people have forgotten his/her scamming days.

WViper

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 04:20:27 AM »

I say that they can't until they have sold enough accounts FAIRLY (and paid people back) that people have forgotten his/her scamming days.

So, maybe it could be more of a "level of fairness."  Where names of common traders (Or after someone has traded once...) names are listed on one list and the number of times they have traded appear along with the number of "fair trades" vs "suspected scam trades" are posted. This would give people an idea of how trustable sellers are. Players who have more "suspected scam trades" than "fair trades" could be marked differently than those who have a better amount of "fair trades" to "suspected scam trades." Perhaps a sort of color scale? Going from Red-Orange-Yellow-Green. Red of course being more "suspected scam trades" and green being more "fair trades." The accounts listed would go in the order of most fair.

Another idea... if it would be possible to sell accounts much like dwellings. The account for sale would be posted under an "Accounts For Sale" type of thing. The seller would be able to have the points sent to another account of their own, and offers could be made and irreversible. The seller would also be able to choose whether or not to accept the offer made.

EDIT: I just realized... This system could become problematic once accounts are sold. This would be in two ways... One being, you would have to know a person's main account, or the account that they were dealing the trade with to be able to tell if they were known as a 'suspected scammer'. And also if an account that was also once a seller were to be on the list and that account was sold, it would automatically give the buyer either a 'trustable' or 'un-trustable' title... creating more problems..
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 04:38:26 AM by WViper »

thecrazyanbu

• happy place
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 06:27:40 AM »

what if someone thinks that a person is trying to scam them?
shikkifujjin 
i refuse to spread it

i shall merely start it and continue on till i am bored
Hiro
"Your mom" jokes are like viruses. They die, but when they sense the right moment occurs, they come back to life and infect people.

Neji

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 07:12:35 AM »

Okay.

Let's get one thing straight:

I will not make a "good guy" or a "bad guy" list by usernames and depict them ;)
That's utterly nonsense and will do only one thing: bad guys get more trust when not on the list; good guy having no trust if somebody lies and that guy gets on the list

So, as I have a non-interaction policy when it comes to account selling, I have no intention of setting up a "trusted sellers" list.
I am not ebay and this is not a trading platform for accounts =) trading is only permitted, not enforced or controlled.
Because IF I had to control it, there would be LOTS of manual action  required to ensure safety. And I will not do that.

Secondly, if nobody reports scam, why the heck are you telling me about a list with auto-bans and whatnot ???
I have not seen a scam report in weeks, and now you make up like it's a huge problem Oo why not let ME deal with it and furthermore KNOW it.

It all makes no sense, hence I shoot both ideas. *BANG* *BANG*

Never judge a cow by its udder.

Raifudo Oppa

• ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 11:31:47 AM »

Okay.

Let's get one thing straight:

I will not make a "good guy" or a "bad guy" list by usernames and depict them ;)
That's utterly nonsense and will do only one thing: bad guys get more trust when not on the list; good guy having no trust if somebody lies and that guy gets on the list

So, as I have a non-interaction policy when it comes to account selling, I have no intention of setting up a "trusted sellers" list.
I am not ebay and this is not a trading platform for accounts =) trading is only permitted, not enforced or controlled.
Because IF I had to control it, there would be LOTS of manual action  required to ensure safety. And I will not do that.

Secondly, if nobody reports scam, why the heck are you telling me about a list with auto-bans and whatnot ???
I have not seen a scam report in weeks, and now you make up like it's a huge problem Oo why not let ME deal with it and furthermore KNOW it.

It all makes no sense, hence I shoot both ideas. *BANG* *BANG*

ouch o.o

both down, anyways hes got a point, people can make multiple account using diff. I.P. locations to they can just simply give fake messages saying ____ is a good account trader and whatnot and simply scam someone multiple times without being suspected untill they report his name. But the person they report can be another alt as well >>

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 21 queries.