Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please report outages in the thread "messages/server outages", Thanks.

Author Topic: Private Zone Organization  (Read 17032 times)

Renji Nakara

• Anyone for a snowball fight?
    • View Profile
Private Zone Organization
« on: April 26, 2012, 06:18:00 AM »

The organization of the private zones is well...horrendous. It lists things from oldest to newest, as well as keeps records of 'things' that ended without a single post at all. This takes up useless space on the server and just makes the list much longer than it should be as there is no need to save those that have no posts. I suggest that the zones be organized from newest to oldest and the junk (the saved matches that do not have posts) be deleted from the server completely. I think that there should also be a search bar where you can search for a specific username (including your own) or some sort of 'My Matches' part to it.

In conjunction with this, I believe that the cost for private zones should be solely scaled to level instead of level and rank. This, in my opinion, would be a more efficient system to go by.

Edit: Silver just pointed out the me that the posts, like everywhere else on SL are deleted over time. I think that this should be negated when it comes to the private zones. I do understand that space is an issue when it comes to the servers but the point of private zones is to...well have what happened in the zone archived as well. Otherwise, there is no point in keeping the ones from earlier years as all of those are blank now. The system is very flawed.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 06:24:58 AM by Renji Nakara »

Angra Mainyu

• View Profile
Re: Private Zone Organization
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 06:30:25 AM »

Edit: Silver just pointed out the me that the posts, like everywhere else on SL are deleted over time. I think that this should be negated when it comes to the private zones. I do understand that space is an issue when it comes to the servers but the point of private zones is to...well have what happened in the zone archived as well. Otherwise, there is no point in keeping the ones from earlier years as all of those are blank now. The system is very flawed.
Isn't that what the 'Grab commentlines as PDF' option for? If there's any string of posts worth archiving for future references, then save them in a PDF and upload it (the PDF) to Mediafire and post up a link to it here in the forum (in a thread). But of course, that's just what I think.  :o

Renji Nakara

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 06:40:15 AM »

Isn't that what the 'Grab commentlines as PDF' option for? If there's any string of posts worth archiving for future references, then save them in a PDF and upload it (the PDF) to Mediafire and post up a link to it here in the forum (in a thread). But of course, that's just what I think.  :o

True, but if that is the case what is the point of keeping private zone matches for years, long after they are rendered blank and useless by the automatic post deleting of SL. This makes the list unnecessarily long and somewhat difficult to navigate. Also, isn't that part of the point of archiving private zones in the first place, for the contents to be archived as well?

Quest

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 08:40:58 AM »

Unfortunately, private zones aren't archive. They merely serve the purpose of letting players fight in a zone where they can continue later without worrying that someone else might have posted over their match. I agree about organizing it, and adding a search engine to it, but nothing else. Empty zones will be deleted in due time, so there is no need to actually moderate it (look for and delete empty zones).

If you want your fight to last until the end of time, you can either do as the Kyubey suggested or do it on SLS (although some of you might be against it).

Renji Nakara

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 08:48:47 AM »

But how long does that take? I still see zones from 2008 there. What point is them being there for years if the text only remains for about 20-30 days? Maybe the self-delete times for the private zones can be...once all of the text has been auto-deleted from the server. There is no point in having years of now empty zones sitting there clogging up the list.

Yes a search engine and better organization would be much nicer, in fact that is the main problem and deleting the zones that have been around for ages will make the list smaller and easier to manipulate and organize.

Angra Mainyu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 09:20:01 AM »

If Neji reads through this thread, then surely he may choose to wipe the outdated, recorded zones from the server.

Quest

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 03:25:30 PM »

But how long does that take? I still see zones from 2008 there. What point is them being there for years if the text only remains for about 20-30 days? Maybe the self-delete times for the private zones can be...once all of the text has been auto-deleted from the server. There is no point in having years of now empty zones sitting there clogging up the list.

Yes a search engine and better organization would be much nicer, in fact that is the main problem and deleting the zones that have been around for ages will make the list smaller and easier to manipulate and organize.
Now I see what you mean about text-less zones. I think it's an unforeseen bug or something.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 19 queries.