Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please report outages in the thread "messages/server outages", Thanks.

Poll

Otogakure as a Village?

Yes
- 15 (88.2%)
No
- 1 (5.9%)
Indifferent
- 1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Otogakure as village of birth  (Read 17204 times)

Eric

• Roleplay Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Otogakure as village of birth
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2015, 01:57:05 AM »

Reads like this is a pretty one sided thread. I'm with Warren, let's get the other side of the table fleshed out a little bit more, based off of Neji's response:

Can you explain in detail what benefit it will really do to the game now? =)

If we are going to separate roleplay and the in-game as far as "game" goes, then I at least have got nothing positive to put forward aside from donations from grateful people (take your potion with that one). Adding yet another race, another village of birth, it honestly won't change the in-game dynamics much for the better if at all. The scrying and all that are largely for RP reasons.

From what I've seen, most of the active players who actually post stuff, in public or even in private, tend to participate in some sort of RP. The only reason that many want Oto back as a village of birth is aesthetics. There are several reasons why I strongly believe it is a matter of aesthetics:

- You can visit the village. From anywhere for a set amount of travels. If you have issues going there, doing some RP, and levelling, then all I have to say is, prioritize your precious travels.

- You currently cannot get PvP'ed in Oto, so staying in the fields aint that bad. Not like dwellings costs have ever really been something affiliated with race (I don't think natives get a discount. No out of state costs).

- We have a function at the bottom now that tells you when posts are made in major villages. You don't have to waste money scrying or waste travels traveling when you can tell when there is an update of some sort on the thread you want to check.

- As stated earlier, much of the activity is RP-based at this point from what I've seen; as a result, the in-game perks (which would likely have to either be borrowed from another race or re-invented at this point) are hardly worth the time either. There is little to no strategic advantage to being Sound at this point.

It is a matter of prestige, a matter of reminiscence from a peoples who no longer have their symbol printed in their bio. Ame doesn't have a public village board, but it seems to be doing fine. Ame doesn't have a race attached to it in-game, and it doesn't seem to be hurting too badly. I use Amegakure largely because I am not as confident some of the other non-village board villages are doing well enough to count for this point.

It's like colonial America. Give the people a taste of freedom, take it away, and the people want it back without the strings. Sound used to be a race in-game that still lurks about, that still exists in a very select circle. Once Sound no longer became a race, then either by coincidence or the new space opened up by other village boards (or the general decrease of people on SL period) Oto seemed to take a hit in the activity department.

Would returning the race bring back activity? I doubt it. If a lack of an in-game race really kept you from playing as a Sound ninja (or playing at all for that matter), then, well, I don't even know what to say to that. Because that sounds completely ridiculous, considering that not even missing ninjas can get a race or place of their own (that you don't have to get disfigured for) and they have been one of the most frequent non-fodder character types in the series, and that other "minor" nations have never had a race to call their own.

In short, except for people giving more donations to show appreciation, there is not much of a motivation for you to add Sound back in as a race the way I see it. Especially considering why the villages are the way they are now:

http://forum.shinobilegends.com/index.php/topic,6859.0.html
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 01:58:40 AM by Eric »
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2015, 12:47:41 PM »

*pushes Eric onto the ground* Nah.
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Keito Uzumaki

• "Your opinion means very little to me."
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2015, 05:59:12 PM »

*pushes Eric onto the ground* Nah. x2

It was a village of birth in the past and it shouldn't have been removed, simple as that. Us stubborn Oto folk will continue to use such a defense because it was rudely taken from us, despite how Otogakure has become apart from the canon. The entrie SL universe is far different from canon Naruto and you shouldn't be comparing the two while also contrasting so heavily. The Akatsuki runs in Iwa, Oto was an actual village, Konoha's Yumei went through some sort of phase and ended up taking half of the village with him, yadda, yadda. We make our own HISTORY! in SL history Otogakure existed as a village and to take that aspect away from the in-game choice, only ruins the chance of Oto ever making a come back. I'm not saying it was booming with applicants and flourishing but there once was a large group of odd individuals whom called the sound their home and without that option, more and more new comers will overpass that and ultimately like Eric and the other's want; Oto will become dead. I really hate how people try to compare canon naruto with SL, when the two differ entirely. We have rules that would contradict with what is plausible in the series and everyone seems fine with that, but when Oto wants to be a village of birth AGAIN it becomes a problem? I don't get that. Despite any solid 'argument' against Oto becoming a village, the poll shows where the favor is. Besides I don't feel right having anything but the sound symbol on my character's page given thats who he is and always will be(Takeo) so yea, I'd love that back! If something happened in the series where Konoha got blown up and no longer existed afterwards, I bet all you leaf nin would be crying if Neji took that away, we are simply doing the same. Oto in SL existed as a village for years in RP and should still be!

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2015, 02:12:54 AM »

It was a village of birth in the past and it shouldn't have been removed, simple as that. Us stubborn Oto folk will continue to use such a defense because it was rudely taken from us, despite how Otogakure has become apart from the canon...

The poll and thread that I posted earlier originating from several years ago would like a word with this part of your statement. There was an overwhelming majority who wanted to see the changes happen, with barely any serious opposition to say nay to it. It had been made clear in the thread that Oto as a village of birth would get replaced as a part of the package, but folks were all for it. So don't go and say, "It shouldn't have been removed" or "it was rudely taken away", because for those who voted (some of which are now asking for it back) that little caveat was clearly not an issue at the time.

It was not rudely taken away from anyone.

*pushes Eric onto the ground* Nah. x2

...I'm not saying it was booming with applicants and flourishing but there once was a large group of odd individuals whom called the sound their home and without that option, more and more new comers will overpass that and ultimately like Eric and the other's want; Oto will become dead...

Would returning the race bring back activity? I doubt it. If a lack of an in-game race really kept you from playing as a Sound ninja (or playing at all for that matter), then, well, I don't even know what to say to that. Because that sounds completely ridiculous, considering that not even missing ninjas can get a race or place of their own (that you don't have to get disfigured for) and they have been one of the most frequent non-fodder character types in the series, and that other "minor" nations have never had a race to call their own.

Sounds like Oto needs to do a better job attracting newcomers, because as I've already pointed out, there are plenty of other places doing decently without having a in-born race to call their own. And don't start accusing folks of wanting Oto dead. Because one more dead village does none of us any favors in the big picture of things.

...If something happened in the series where Konoha got blown up and no longer existed afterwards, I bet all you leaf nin would be crying if Neji took that away, we are simply doing the same. Oto in SL existed as a village for years in RP and should still be!

Well, considering that I highly doubt Leaf ninja would vote away their own village of birth (or allow any update, no matter what else was in it, to do so), then I am pretty sure we wouldn't have a thing to cry about. Of course, if that were to happen, then we would still attract enough people to get by. You can't kill Konoha off by taking away our village of birth in-game, because where it really matters as far as roleplay is concerned, is where we put our stamp, both the good and the bad.

...Despite any solid 'argument' against Oto becoming a village, the poll shows where the favor is. Besides I don't feel right having anything but the sound symbol on my character's page given thats who he is and always will be(Takeo) so yea, I'd love that back...

*cough* Aesthetics *cough* Reminiscence *cough* I rest my case *cough*

I personally have no problem with seeing Otogakure once again become a village of birth, criminal evil and stuff, but you have to realize that it's ludicrous to call the move to replace it "unfair" or "unjust". We the players make plenty of things that contradict canon regarding RP; Neji does not generally dip into RP matters, and saw things differently.

Convince him that Oto is worth the effort of putting it back in as a place of birth and we can party at the end of the night in celebration. Seeing as he hasn't made a move on this, my guess is that he hasn't yet found the motivation or a good enough reason to bring it back.

Neji spoke for himself in that regard when he asked what benefit it would bring to the game now. Mostly, it'll make some folks happy, maybe happy to donate their life savings (I jest here)?
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2015, 05:58:27 AM »

The players want it back. Do ettttt.

Plox. <3
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Becquerel

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2015, 06:35:44 AM »

Being devil's advocate here, but if they make it a birth village, then maybe people will request other villages be birth villages as well.
I guess this could kind of be fixed by allowing people to pick a birth village where they could enter the name of where they want to be from (maybe an option that can be used with donation points?).
If they decide to go this route, maybe they would have to forgo any village-related buffs but to make sure the game still works they could still pick what village to be 'born in' game-wise (it would still display whatever village they want). Or they could just keep the buffs associated with their 'birth village' but wouldn't have the village symbol in their bio, as it would just read 'Born in Otogakure(example)'.
That's just one option, I think. Basically solves people's problems of asking to be born in different villages that aren't part of the actual game while also solving the whole buff problem involved with it.
100 push ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10km running every single day.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2015, 11:01:39 AM »

Basically solves people's problems of asking to be born in different villages that aren't part of the actual game while also solving the whole buff problem involved with it.

Except Ototgakure was part of the game from the start.

Keito Uzumaki

• "Your opinion means very little to me."
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2015, 05:46:13 PM »

Except Ototgakure was part of the game from the start.

Well, change is good and Iwa and Kumo made themselves more known with the Allied Forces and Shinobi War in the series to kinda give them a big boost. I mean, there are still characters who have their race as Sound and still have the sound symbol as their icon, so obviously the code for that wasn't entirely thrown out.  More variety the better, right? I'll take back the 'rudely taken from us' simply since I wasn't really around during those times, but still, in this case there only seems to be 2 opposed as the others are more for it. >>; Just sayin...

So what if it wasn't a real village, the people of SL made it that way and would enjoy if it could stay that way. I'm not saying Oto is perfect, no, in actuality the RP there has died down a bit and morale as well. Maybe if we get this started, such will change and have people safeguarded into the thought they are sound shinobi. Could open up more Evil events for the sound forest or something? We already stated we don't care about the buffs, simply the race. Its not extinct yet!

It's not like Otogakure is some custom lower village trying to make it 'up there' just its always been around and favored by a select few from the site. Wouldn't hurt to give it back after so long. If not, at least we tried. >_>

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2015, 07:09:48 PM »

Wouldn't hurt to give it back after so long. If not, at least we tried. >_>

Tried? This topic will not die until it's brought back. >..>

Ryu

• Zero is real.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2015, 04:53:02 AM »

Wouldn't hurt to give it back after so long. If not, at least we tried. >_>

Tried? This topic will not die until it's brought back. >..>
Well I guess this topic is never going to end.

Court

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2015, 05:55:03 AM »

Something I petitioned because I was frustrated, but:

One thing that kind of irritates me is that Kirigakure's ANBU is now evil because Otogakure was removed from the 'main villages'. I guess a pro for restoring Otogakure game-wise would be that it returns as a safe-haven for leveling should those who have an evil alignment wish to live there -- I mean, considering that ANBU usually appear more around level 1, it can really throw someone's game leveling off if they die (I die all the time, cause I'm most likely a noob). Kirigakure was once a good ANBU village, so I see that as a plus, in-game wise (Neji doesn't necessarily care about the RP concepts, so I figured I'd throw this out there). This is also assuming you make leveling possible there.

Truthfully though, I don't know if there's another village for evil people. The focus, I'm sure, revolves around in-game pros. So, assuming you guys could figure out more, might make it easier to come to a decision.

EDIT: Lol, I noticed I posted about this same issue years ago. >_>;
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 06:02:01 AM by Court »

Neji

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2015, 09:04:45 PM »

The change was a couple of years ago, when the series indicated Otogakure being basically off-limits and could have only Oro-true folks in there.
Which means, nobody would accept travellers who were Sound nin.

We can revert it, but I'd have to lift any restrictions (like no pvp) from Otogakure, basically making a new/other village the current Otogakure.

I am not against it, I liked the idea of factions.
Never judge a cow by its udder.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2015, 09:26:03 PM »

The change was a couple of years ago, when the series indicated Otogakure being basically off-limits and could have only Oro-true folks in there.

We can revert it, but I'd have to lift any restrictions (like no pvp) from Otogakure, basically making a new/other village the current Otogakure.

We all said to make Nin central the no pvp zone.
Makes sense since it's the neutral place of SL.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2015, 09:34:15 PM »

Ninja Central would make the most sense, but there is still Hoshigakure if you want to throw something in that direction.  ;)

Garō, Ichirou

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2015, 09:50:33 PM »

Ame needs a village <3
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.