Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ever wondered if your ideas have been talked about in the forum already? Well, try out the "search" option, where all your questions can be answered.

Author Topic: Templates and whatnot.  (Read 20261 times)

Raifudo Oppa

• ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
    • View Profile
Templates and whatnot.
« on: May 20, 2013, 01:41:56 AM »

Where can these be found? Considering there have been a spawn of applications lately (even with no suggestion of looking [though there is initiative, which is a good quality]), we might as well post up templates.

I mean, I wanna be a wiki editor. I think it was Shadow that pointed out the trend that current mods gain power of, rather than a selected member of the community.

GM and Mod also sound appealing. Lots of things I've tried to set up without GM powers, but certain individuals would always complain about me not being a GM I (for some reason?) should have zero dominion over a certain portion of the realm.

Soooo, if we can get a template for a GM and Wiki (unless GM and mod are one in the same?) that'd be great.

Shadow

• Shadow's alternate first account.
    • View Profile
Re: Templates and whatnot.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 02:13:02 AM »

I actually talked to Nathan about a GM template because he just went and filled out the mod one. Which we both agreed was based heavily on mod duties and not actual GM things. I was thinking of making one myself, however, I'm not going to claim to be good at making such a thing. If anyone wants to take the time to make GM, Wiki editor templates I'm sure people will thank you.

Also Rai, I don't think you need special powers just to set up GM things. Kayenta does plenty of work without such.
Look at that smite number. Boy was I disliked a lot more back in the day.

Raifudo Oppa

• ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 03:22:26 AM »

I can talk with Neji to see if I can help make one.

I know you don't need any. My point is that I've had many people tell me otherwise. I still try regardless.

Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 06:51:42 AM »

I can talk with Neji to see if I can help make one.

I know you don't need any. My point is that I've had many people tell me otherwise. I still try regardless.

Must be the lesser known people that complain then? Those who do know you have enough knowledge to be able to trust you with RP situations.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 07:55:38 AM »

There seems to be some confusion on what a GM actually is, so I figured I would weigh in on this topic to clarify what I consider are a few misconceptions.

I see a lot of people saying that GM's give ruling on zone fights, mentioned both here and on SL. However as people are all too fond of pointing out, GMs have no power to do anything at all.

Game Master = Dungeon Master.

This is the person who comes up with story line, creates events and implements them. Advertises and drums up enthusiasm among the players of the game to participate. Makes accommodations for everyone to have something to do during the event and tries to see that all are able to enjoy themselves. The GM is not a player...this means that it is not the GM against  the players in a win/lose situation.

Rather, the GM has to be aware of the player's skill, craft foes and obstacles that meet their skill level but do not exceed it, and then set up situations in which a player character can face a challenge and use their skills, talents, and creativity to cope with it. The GM helps the player grow their character. It is important not to create tasks too hard or too easy. Rewards that are too weak or too abundant are also a thing to be avoided.

IT should be noted...ANYONE can do this. I did this for years without the GM powers and it is silly people who think differently. Additionally...zoning is not RP. it is a part of RP. Any action your character performs is RP and it is so much more than just fighting.
There are a TON of people on SL who are starving for RP to do that is not zone fighting and war. There are many many more people who are not powerhouses and need to grow in RP and experience other adventures besides zoning.

As far as rendering decisions on zone fights go, anyone that both parties agree upon can be called in to arbitrate. It is preferable they know how to RP and to zone and understand the rules of game play.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:57:47 AM by KayentaMoenkopi »

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 08:09:45 AM »

I of course left out a ton of things that GMs do to prepare for the story lines and events they put in motion. Motivating and recruiting others to aid is imperative to a successful event.

Now it may be that someone who would be great at moderating a fight would stink at being a GM in this sense of the word. And the other way around as well.

Nathan

• Site Staff (Moderator)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 08:35:42 AM »

I'm to lazy to read your whole post, Kayenta, but a GM is both. They control events and whatnot as you said but, in SL, players have also recently decided that they're the ones you should go to for a mod for a zone fight. Why am I applying to be one? Because, despite not being a GM, people ask me for advice, help, my opinion, etc. I also want to be able to do the NPC thing which would make creating events and RPing as NPC easier.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 09:46:46 AM »

Maybe you are teasing, maybe you are not. But my first reaction is...

WOW...you can't even read this post? Talk about lazy AND dismissively insulting. Some GM you will be.

Nathan

• Site Staff (Moderator)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 09:00:51 PM »

Maybe you are teasing, maybe you are not. But my first reaction is...

WOW...you can't even read this post? Talk about lazy AND dismissively insulting. Some GM you will be.

I meant that as in I'm lazy and it was two in the morning when I wrote that. I wasn't reading all that text.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 09:20:46 PM »

it hardly matters. don't give it a thought.

GMs do make comments on zone fights, but are no more likely to be recognized as an authority over the issue at hand than anyone else. It has been my experience that people listen to those who say what they want to hear and nothing more.

A discussion about a zoning council was started by Kirk...where is that link...

Ah yes...

http://forum.shinobilegends.com/index.php/topic,7727.msg209500/boardseen.html#new

Nathan

• Site Staff (Moderator)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 09:26:26 PM »

GMs do make comments on zone fights, but are no more likely to be recognized as an authority over the issue at hand than anyone else. It has been my experience that people listen to those who say what they want to hear and nothing more.

Ah yes...

http://forum.shinobilegends.com/index.php/topic,7727.msg209500/boardseen.html#new

Like I said, recently people trust GMs over other people. Don't know why but they do. Also, didn't read Kirk's think but I saw council. Councils never work.

Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 10:40:01 PM »

Ah yes...

No, no, and no. A zone council? Really? No offense to anyone, but councils NEVER work, ever. Anywho. On the subject of GM. Players do seem to recognize GMs as authority. Even mods for that matter. Like with the Yujo and Kotetsu fight. While it is true some player are arrogant, wouldn't that be what a GM does? They regulate RP. Since that is their job then the players SEE them as authority on such rp things as a bijuu fight, cause those fights always end with arguing, thus the zoners call for people to sort it out.

Camel

• Global Moderator
  • 01010100 01100001 01100011 01101111 01110011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 12:27:08 AM »

I'm locking this since you guys are going waaaay off topic here.
This is supposed to be an application from Raifudo.  :roll:

Edit: I am going to go to our sister site; LoB and see if I can get permission to use their Gamemaster application.
It'll be a whole lot simple and quicker then having to draw one up again.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:28:37 AM by Camel »

Ace

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 04:32:40 AM »

Hi,

Kamui is helping currently on LoB and we could not appreciate it more.
Kamui asked for permission to use the GM application, and of course that is a yes.

I'll post the application here and sticky it.
Feel free to edit it Kamui, remove sticky, etc...

The questions I created may not all be clear, they should be, but it is lengthy- for a good reason too since
these questions address problems that have occurred before. Staff should not operate with a false foundation- no one is perfect, but mistakes should be limited.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 04:46:14 AM by Ace »

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 19 queries.