Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please report outages in the thread "messages/server outages", Thanks.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: KG Claims  (Read 12195 times)

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
KG Claims
« on: March 05, 2014, 11:59:28 PM »

I have always very much disliked linking anything to do with RP to Forest fighting. And absolutely abhor making claims for resets from other accounts. I do not think it matters if you own the other account.

How would you feel about making a stand for RP only?

It makes no sense and I feel it is embarrassing to be truthful.
Have your powers, but back your right to claim them with RP. not BS.

Now that the bijuu challenges are in RP I think it is time to take reform one step further and clean up this other aspect of RP.

People are on the site all the time but where? hiding in pms or clan halls? Go out and train yourself. Get friends to go with you. Lets get active with public RP instead of slamming forest fights all night long. There are so many talented writers here. Its time to see them in print once again!

Zexyo

• View Profile
Re: KG Claims
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 12:04:12 AM »

I agree with this very much. I think it would be so much better if people actually went out and did RP around the site to obtain new abilities rather than spending hours in the forest to gain tons of resets.

It's not like you won't still have time to use your turns between posts.

Suishou Koji

• Site Staff (Game Master)
  • Elder of Shinobi Legends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 12:08:33 AM »

Bring it back to how it used to be. Reset claims should be though RP not through resets within the forest. It's possible that it's one of the reasons why most of the older generation left.

So basically I agree with this.
Current Raikage and Wikia Mod.

UettoSenju

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 12:25:11 AM »

If we do make it this way how is one to determine how many resets or kg one can have?

Camel

• Global Moderator
  • 01010100 01100001 01100011 01101111 01110011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 12:35:10 AM »

Quote from: Kayenta
I have always very much disliked linking anything to do with RP to Forest fighting. And absolutely abhor making claims for resets from other accounts. I do not think it matters if you own the other account.

How would you feel about making a stand for RP only?

It makes no sense and I feel it is embarrassing to be truthful.
Have your powers, but back your right to claim them with RP. not BS.

Now that the bijuu challenges are in RP I think it is time to take reform one step further and clean up this other aspect of RP.

People are on the site all the time but where? hiding in pms or clan halls? Go out and train yourself. Get friends to go with you. Lets get active with public RP instead of slamming forest fights all night long. There are so many talented writers here. Its time to see them in print once again!

I don't think the problem here lies with claims to your own resets, but rather the person who you choose to RP with.
I remember bijuu fights were either In-Character or OCC and this was even before it was agreed upon to make it "officially" IC, but this doesn't necessarily make everything more productive, since now if you worked so much time on your character to get he or she to where they are now; to only have that character die in a IC confrontation. 

So it's like I said, it depends on the person you choose to RP with; since not everyone agrees with each other and everyone has there own different opinions when it comes to earning your resets.

Public Role-Play = Posting in the village boards and/or zones

That's what I consider public these days, since dwellings are only limited to a certain amount of people and the same applies to clan halls.

Quote from: Koji
It's possible that it's one of the reasons why most of the older generation left.
Actually, it's one of the reasons most of the newest generation leaves; they can't really cope with users on here who are so indecisive when it comes to fair and fun RP.

Most of the oldest generation, including myself basically have lives so it's kinda hard to balance everything; so in the end this site becomes a "distraction", if you have a satisfying job, life, family, etc.
However, it's fun to come on here and talk to your friends, start up an RP or two, whenever you have nothing to do with the rest of your free-time.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 01:16:37 AM »

Well sure it depends on who you rp with. Let me be clear here. I am not proposing  RULE. I said how about would you like to RP this way? And wonder if others think it might be  good idea too.

Like always. What makes sense? Is it rational for you to have 27 super powers? Can you explain this? Well ok. I am still gonna kick your butt with my katana skills. So deal with it.
Mwahahaha

I don't care so much about policing the world here. I just would like to get people more RP minded. Public RP.

It would be great to see people sitting round the fountain in Kiri talking about jutsu...like old Roman forum style and the mentor lectures his students and they all discuss things.

It would be nice to see people practicing their jutsu and seeing if they can get new things to work, if they can stretch their powers and grow stronger.

This sort of thing is inspiring to others and impels them to ignite the spark of creativity within themselves. It become a contagion. Nothing new grows in a vacuum. We need to feed off one another's ideas.

So...you also have the joy of creating what you claim. You become more invested in your character and do not want to trade it away or change its name. Dying becomes a big deal. There is a continuity established.

So...how many KG? what is your biologic heritage?
Do you have any implants?
Elemental blendings I believe are learned KGS.

what is the character like that you have created? This is how many powers you are able to have. You don't suddenly change into a different biology without story line.

But you say you want more? Then RP for it. How fun is that to play mad scientist or create something with words? And to get others to play long too.

UettoSenju

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 03:16:36 AM »

Considering I always rped out my learning I any skill I was just asking. I mean going by the reset thing it does limit us in some ways. Creative rping to learn everything though can arise to people doing half ass training to wise to quickly gain a ton of stuff.

I'm not saying Uetto doesn't have quite the wise range of skill but rather it took years up years of rp and leveling for me to get there. Daily rp training that is for two years at least two times a day just for my physical claims.

This is why I just use the acsd account now and still claim my stuff. I earned it all and to hell with other.

I understand you want to create rp through this logic but people tend to see rping gaining a skill as a chore and not fun. To be blunt they are lazy. My own beliefs happen to b that through rping learning it allows you to become more skilled as a rping in the art. Sure your character can know a ton of shit but it does little good if you yourself rely on his or her skills and not your own.

It's something I have long tried to place in the underlings of Konoha find strength from within not from your arsenal. Therefor I do support this idea but I have trouble seeing it wide spread. Sure there will be some that follow it but I have a feeling it will cause others to not wish to rp with them and voids to arise. It may form two sides of people who oppose the other and could back fire into making less social rp between groups.

In the end I believe one should just do as they wish. Do what makes you happy, which ever method it may be. As Som Goku said, " Where there is a will there is a way." If you truly devote your heart into rp then you shall create it. However, you shouldn't seek to alter the hearts of others.

Angra Mainyu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 05:30:51 AM »

I agree with Kamui, whether or not one chooses to accept this approach is entirely their decision.

I for one do not support it in the slightest, but that's sure not going to stop anybody or entire communities from doing it.

Shinro

• Your withering eyes will be remembered.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 10:50:53 AM »

"What's the point in rp training if you could lose it all in a flash?"

That question has been ask to me a few times by novice rpers.

http://forum.shinobilegends.com/index.php/topic,7906.msg212916.html#new

So why don't people rp anymore? Hear the cold truth, and then do something about it.

Adding: Also, as I see it, in-game buffs have nothing to do with true rp. This illusion most of you fall for is just pathetic. Wake up.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 10:55:54 AM by Shinro »
In a mad world, only the mad are sane.
En un mundo loco, sólo los locos están cuerdos.
Dans un monde fou, seuls les fous sont sains d'esprit.
狂ったこの世で狂うなら気は確かだ。

Angra Mainyu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 12:49:28 PM »

Maybe those who seek Shinro's interpretation of 'true rp' should join an RP-forum or help Kirk build his (and join it)?

Why bother RP-ing on SL if the mechanics and foundation it exists around and upon are of little relevance? Why even be on SL at all then for that matter of fact? Good grief, what a transparent illusion that is.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 07:53:30 PM »

Maybe those who seek Shinro's interpretation of 'true rp' should join an RP-forum or help Kirk build his (and join it)?

Why bother RP-ing on SL if the mechanics and foundation it exists around and upon are of little relevance? Why even be on SL at all then for that matter of fact? Good grief, what a transparent illusion that is.

In the context of this particular thread, I have to somewhat agree with you. SL, I believe, was designed first and foremost as a game where you do the turns and all that jizz. RPing was the secondary option that evolved later on as people got more chatty and figured they could play ninja in a more interactive way.

Most of my power does come from custom stuff, much of it I trained; on the other foot, I would be even stronger if I had the will to forest fight. Motivation to forest fight nowadays = 0, Shikimaru style.  :D

Both are work, in their own ways. RPing what you have and forest fighting for it, especially for that first reset. Indeed, a blend would be to RP out what you attain in-game; I technically have the reset for sage mode (at last!), but since I haven't RPed it out all that much, I tend not to use it (plus I usually don't get the chance to just sit still and gather natural energy in a real fight).

I say do both. There are certain things that have to be attained via a first resets, such as some KG, but on the other hand, there are levels of mastery that can be attained via RP training. My two cents on dat.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Trev

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 11:46:06 PM »

I'm siding with the Angry Man on this one. I don't believe getting rid of resets as a way to use Kg  will improve much. I assume most players would just claim whatever they want, and it would be even less work. I'm not saying the forest system ain't flawed, but I believe it better. Plus I was always of fan of incorporating the actual game in some way.

While I refuse to switch systems, it does no way in fact mean that the reset system is the one people have to use. It just may happen that a lot of people use it, but doesn't mean it's right or better. I'll still rp with people who don't abide to this system, cause why not? It just means I won't fight them in rp, unless we talk about it before hand.

Reset based kg isn't killing the site, like I said before it's people being uncivil. There is no elaborate rp system that will save SL, it's being civil and compromising.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 11:47:34 PM by Trev »
Don't say f*ck any more because f*ck is the worst word that you can say

So just use the word mmmkay!

Isaribi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 05:14:45 AM »

I see both sides to this argument, honestly.

It is wrong to say someone cannot use their resets as a basis for their RP; meanwhile, the resets are producing a plethora of people who are extremely OP. The reset cap and the 'RP cap' are incompatible. Except in Madara and Obito, we do not see people running around who have a Sharingan, a Rinnegan, can open the Eight Gates, and can use Mokuton.

Let me put it into a metaphor.. I like metaphors.
I am an artist; I draw bio pictures for people. I'm not bad at it; back in the day, my base price was 1000DP. Taumaster utilized my skills all the time. Back then, I was drawing a HUGE variety of characters, big and small, thin and fat, with rainbow colored hair.

Nowadays, since the rise of "Mega-Gaming", I draw the same character over-and-over.

While the resets show "hey, I know how to level", they aren't a good indication of "hey, I know how to RP." The RP aspect of SL and the Forest aspect are two distinct things, but they certainly should cooperate.

If there were an understanding that the resets were more like badges that say, "hey, I've been around for a while" rather then, "Oh, I automatically can shoot trees out of my hands", we'd have a more varied RP. Variation is good, in my opinion.

I look around and, for the most part, character bios of some big RPers are indistinguishable from one-another. I would bet money that we could throw 90% of RPers on SL into four or five basic categories--that remaining 10% are those of us who have been around long enough to know that a master with a stone can best an amateur with a cannon.

I've spent close to nine years building my character; he's been a WIP for much of that time. I'm a shark-man who, having lost his arm, wears an anchor as a prosthesis. Back in the day, I RPed plucking the Byakugan eye from one of the members of the old Hyuuga Clan that used to be led by Kite and transplanted it. With my luck, though, I went blind in the other eye.

A middle-ground ought to be established; right now, there are too many RPers who've allowed the resets to go to their head. The resets should be a privilege and a goal, but the way they interact with RP shouldn't be automatic, nor should it be transferable, nor should it be 'uncapped' so to speak. I haven't any problem, if you do in fact have all those resets, with you claiming to have an implanted Sharingan and being a Mokuton user. But c'mon guys, for who is it fun to become just like everyone else?

I remember back when a few of these accounts, who now have many more resets than I do, were acads. Hell, by the time a few of them came into being, I was RPing committing suicide because I couldn't handle any more Sharingan/Rinnegan/Mokuton/Gates people running around.

I have a story; every cookie-cutter OP account that runs around might have a story, and it might be 'unique', but in the end... they are just like everybody else, and they let it go to their head. I've fought a few of these cookie-cutter nin; half of them don't even know how to use the English language to portray a simple thought.

There are more issues on SL than just the resets, but.. the way resets and RP interact currently is a problem, in my opinion.

Excuse the length of this reply. :)
If you think you can, you can.
If you think you can't, you're right.

Trev

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 05:26:12 AM »

I can see incorporating both to an extent. I mean, when I gained my Second Uchiha reset I didn't claim the MS. Instead I let that determine that I could finally get it in rp. So I used to forest to level to that point in the game, then I roleplayed throwing my brother off a mountain. Also when I reached six resets of Sage, I finally roleplayed mastering my Sage Transformation by traveling to Ryūchi Cave and sealing my emotions.

So in a sense I use both. The resets represent my character finally being ready for a new power, then I got out and roleplay getting it.
Don't say f*ck any more because f*ck is the worst word that you can say

So just use the word mmmkay!

Isaribi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 05:36:06 AM »

I can see incorporating both to an extent. I mean, when I gained my Second Uchiha reset I didn't claim the MS. Instead I let that determine that I could finally get it in rp. So I used to forest to level to that point in the game, then I roleplayed throwing my brother off a mountain. Also when I reached six resets of Sage, I finally roleplayed mastering my Sage Transformation by traveling to Ryūchi Cave and sealing my emotions.

So in a sense I use both. The resets represent my character finally being ready for a new power, then I got out and roleplay getting it.

Yes; but there is a certain point where your RP character should be capped. Having the Rinnegan is one thing; having the Rinnegan, the Gates, Mokuton, the Shikotsumyaku, what-have you... All together... is another.

Creativity goes a long way to producing variation and fun in RP. Currently, the resets have stripped that creativity away to a large extent and made it easy to make a character, when in reality, it shouldn't be easy.
If you think you can, you can.
If you think you can't, you're right.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 20 queries.