Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New members: you need admin approval, please petition *in game* if you made an account. :)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Actions per Turn  (Read 3436 times)

Darkshinobi

• View Profile
Re: Actions per Turn
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 05:21:05 AM »

Within the last year or so, I've come to terms with the general rule as this:
Each main individual can have a total of three actions per turn (plus movement):
*Attack
*Defense
*Supplementary

However, one *can* substitute one of their actions for another action type; two attacks and a defense, for example. I've generally had it understood that you can have no more than two actions of the same type per turn -- so one could have two attacks and a defense or two attacks and a supplementary, but not all three.

To my knowledge, clones are generally allowed one action (plus movement) per turn, and summons are allowed two actions (plus movement) per turn.

Of course, the number of actions a clone takes should theoretically reduce their chakra quickly.

To condense the information:

Code: [Select]
Player Character:
Three Actions -- no more than two of the same type per turn

Clone: One action

Summons: Two actions

This seemed to be relatively fair to me and is how I've been playing of late.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 03:09:38 PM »

I don't' know about the arrangements of action types and all. There will be many contingency scenarios I am certain have not been discussed here so far.

Perhaps it would be better to just limit yourself to what can reasonably be accomplished in the short amount of time it is your turn.

Additionally, you also need to keep in mind that If I do several actions....and especially ones that are dependent upon the success of the others involved...and the first action is countered...then the rest of your post is just fluff n stuff and will need to be redone. So over reaching can actually waste your turn completely.

Summon companions Eric? Rita and Pyro are quite the anomalies. I Would not give them a different status though than npc or summons. At its worst form being abused/exploited...It is a matter of spamming extra characters for additional actions until their turn becomes the work of huge teams rather than an individual.

Well, even with the spamming of one character, the turn is the work of a team rather than just an individual. I mean, adding extra actions due to summons I have never really sided with, for the reason that it was a way of limiting the usefulness of spamming many clones/summons to overwhelm the opponent with.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Camel

• Global Moderator
  • 01010100 01100001 01100011 01101111 01110011
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 08:57:05 PM »

I've been using three actions for as long as I remember, I even count the formation of clones as an action itself.
Summons are even included in my own set of rules when it comes to actions per character.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 12:46:01 AM by Camel »

Isaribi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2014, 11:48:07 PM »

Perhaps it would be better to just limit yourself to what can reasonably be accomplished in the short amount of time it is your turn.

No. Not this. You'd have people wanting to be faster and faster in order to perform more actions per turn.

The way I usually do it is that I'll perform one action, either offensive or defensive (or both offensive and defensive in the same action), and two actions which either are supplementary or involve movement. If my attack/defensive action was decidedly small, I may take another small offensive/defensive action in place of a supplementary action. That's how I do it.

To attack and to defend seem to be equally big feats; you have characters who are offensive, and those who are defensive. To be able to, for example, perform two techniques (of any kind, offensive or defensive, and any combination) and still have time for a supplementary technique (for me, supplementary is something small, like moving or forming hand seals) in six seconds is a big feat, especially since more techniques seem to take more than six seconds to prepare.
If you think you can, you can.
If you think you can't, you're right.

AkiraTheLegendaryANBU

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2014, 12:21:13 AM »

Honestly we can keep to the 3 actions a rule limit, but setting up a framework like that, while done with good intentions, is easily subject to abuse. I mean, if we're really going by the D&D idea that each turn is 6 seconds and 10 turns is a minute of combat, then it'd be better just to play by that logic as oppose to trying to combine 6 second timeframes and the potential of making use of 3 actions. Honestly it'd just make more sense to just use common sense as to what you can and can't do in under 6 seconds of combat. I mean, if your opponent is respectful and you're not being a jerk then you'd only be pulling out extra numbers for the sake of some collaboration move or to even the odds.

And if you pull out some extra peeps, then expect the opponent to do so as well via summoning sentient ninja animals or something that also have their own skillsets. XD I mean, this whole thing shouldn't be a real issue so long as people don't feel like it's a hard and fast rule. Cause if they view the rule as a limitation then they may just try to slide past it to stretch things a bit. I mean, just look at how often people try to figure out exploits as a form of personal challenge in competitive formats. Besides the fact that more numbers on the opposing side can be a form of balance when taking on a really crazy strong opponent. But in the case of someone just pulling out extra numbers for an advantage then the http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ConservationOfNinjutsu should be in effect where either the team with greater numbers does less or holds back for the sake of balance, or the team with lesser numbers gets incrementally stronger to achieve similar balance. That way things can be fun and challenging for everyone without some weird 3 move rule.

So I'd have to go with Kayenta on this one. In response to Isaribi's concern for people speed mongering, that's already happening anyway. The only thing is, there comes a point where you becometoo fast. I'm talking lightning armor speeds here. The point where you pretty much outrun your own ninjutsu techniques. Sure your handseal weaving will be faster, but what's the point if you just move faster then that projectile you plan to lob at the opponent? Also if you don't stop to release said jutsu and then move in a different direction outside of it's path, you'll just end up firing a jutsu and immediately crashing into it like an idiot, which by that point forces you to at least stop in short bursts. Speed at that point merely just turns into a way for melee fighters to get in range of a ranged opponent. Besides the fact that the natural counter to speed is defense. I mean, it's even prevalent in the show with fights between Lee vs Gaara and Sasuke vs the Raikage. And if your attacks end up being too fast and strong, to the point where it immediately bursts through whatever defenses the opponent has, I think you need to re-balance said skill. There's a reason why Haku's all directional needle attack is composed of a bunch of thin sharp needles.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 12:23:44 AM by AkiraTheLegendaryANBU »

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2014, 05:52:20 AM »

...There's a reason why Haku's all directional needle attack is composed of a bunch of thin sharp needles.

Small, quiet, but deadly. D:
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 15 queries.