Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New members: you need admin approval, please petition *in game* if you made an account. :)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Jashinism  (Read 6730 times)

Darkshinobi

• View Profile
Jashinism
« on: April 26, 2014, 04:57:42 AM »

Jashinism: Immortality, full stop. Excepting malnutrition, Jashinists simply cannot die under natural means. The canonical example is that a Jashinist can survive decapitation, the go-to form of execution for most supernatural beings in mythology.

So are there any downsides for Jashinists on SL? Any disadvantages at all to counteract the fact that they literally have an extreme resistance to injury and death?

And if not, shouldn't there be?

Shinro

• Your withering eyes will be remembered.
    • View Profile
Re: Jashinism
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 06:37:39 AM »

On other rp sites, choosing to become a Jashinist means to surrender all elemental ninjutsu and bloodlines. They do that because immortality is too OP, and because Jashin doesn't allow it or something. I forget exactly the rules to it. But those rules and standards won't work on SL because this site isn't an rp site.

Frankly, how I wish it to be. If Neji would officially announce an rp administrator, things could change. Nevertheless, until that happens, I don't see the point of debuffing Jashinists here. Let the forrests run free.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 06:39:37 AM by Shinro »
In a mad world, only the mad are sane.
En un mundo loco, sólo los locos están cuerdos.
Dans un monde fou, seuls les fous sont sains d'esprit.
狂ったこの世で狂うなら気は確かだ。

Chiyo

• I like trying to be the 'bad guy' :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 07:42:34 AM »

While they can survive a nice and slow head choppin', they tend to lose control of their body once their head is gone don't they? So a Jashinist is pretty much boned once his/her's head has been removed.
What do I put here? Oh.
Hi, hehe.

Darkshinobi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 08:11:19 AM »

Frankly, how I wish it to be. If Neji would officially announce an rp administrator, things could change. Nevertheless, until that happens, I don't see the point of debuffing Jashinists here. Let the forrests run free.

If one goes by this logic, though, then there's no point in attempting any sort of moderation of any problems. Following this, it's not a long road until total anarchy is the world. Right now, it's only moderate to severe anarchy.
I like how it's done on other websites, but that's probably too great a nerf for a crowd such as SL.

While they can survive a nice and slow head choppin', they tend to lose control of their body once their head is gone don't they? So a Jashinist is pretty much boned once his/her's head has been removed.

While this is very true, this is also the case (times ten) for regular people, making Jashinism still an extreme advantage with no disadvantages.

What about either a) a decreased chakra pool due to the fact that it theoretically takes chakra to sustain immortality or b) Jashinists only retain their immortality while they kill people(PCs in particular). This makes sense in Jashinist lore.

Angra Mainyu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 09:12:29 AM »

I think it'd be fair if Jashinists had to kill people in order to retain their immortality, however they'd have to use their Cursed Possessed Blood Technique (whatever's it's called) when doing so.

I wouldn't make it a daily to weekly event though, probably monthly, though requiring the sacrifice of player character (I don't care if it's an alt, just so long as it isn't one made or exists on a whim (i.e. an Acad)).

Hazama

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 04:49:14 PM »

Well, I tend to disagree with adding any type of drawbacks to Jashinism, and that's not because it'd take from me or something.

I'm going to ask a question and it's very serious;
When was the last time any of you actually tried killing someone?

From experience, killing a Jashinist is the same as killing anyone else. Hell, as a Jashinist I'm more inclined to let you chop off a limb or two BECAUSE I'll survive unlike 'mortal' players which makes the fight harder than me and easier for my opponent.

You can't so much as scratch an RPer's cheek with a Kunai without them having a spaz attack to dodge it before trying to throw a giant fireball in your face.

Raiton still effects us, Katon still burns us, Winds still cut us, Earth can still crush us... Water may not be able to drown us, but keep us under long enough and technically we'll fill up with water like a water balloon.

I really don't think killing a Jashinist is much different from killing a normal person, it's a fancy title and we get to scream 'For Jashin!' before killing someone when, like I said before, they aren't too busy avoiding the same air you breath just in fear of getting injured.
I don't always make sense, but that's kind of the point.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 06:28:26 PM »

Well, I tend to disagree with adding any type of drawbacks to Jashinism, and that's not because it'd take from me or something.

I'm going to ask a question and it's very serious;
When was the last time any of you actually tried killing someone?

In character, I would say a day or two ago.  8) I am sure Dark and Kirk would understand my reference.

Anyways, the only reasonable limitation that could be put on jashinism in SL is directly the affects of battle style. Hidan clearly was quite devout, and killing anyone in any other method than his curse technique would have been heretical to say the least.

Other than that, if you fill up a jashinist's lungs with water, they can't breath; as the body can die from a lack of nutrients, I think it can be argued that going without oxygen long enough would kill them too, though it would likely take longer than an ordinary person.

Since they have to have nutrients to live, then cutting off all circulation in their body (blood, chakra, etc.) would also lead to a speedier death than simple starvation. It is unlikely that a Jashinist can live without their head for more than a few days, but that is my headcanon rather than actual canon, as it is merely presumed that Hidan is still alive and buried.

Nobody went snooping around to actually check on the poor guy.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 06:54:03 PM »

There are no downsides to being an Uzumaki either. Simply sell your soul to ginger Satan and get all the best fuinjutsu, unbreakable barrier chains that can hold down even the 9 tails, and a chakra pool like a jinchuriki, oh yeah you also have so much stamina you can just survive having a bijuu ripped from you because you're just so dang tough. I think that's a lot more powerful than "I laugh if you stab me." And that's all Jashinism really amounts to, immunity to stab wounds. If you cut my limbs off I still don't have limbs, if you burn me to ash I'm still burned to ash.

I feel like it's 2007 or something again because that was the last time some argued Jashinism was OP. People with Rinnegan 6 resets can palm out peoples souls for goodness sake. It's like Hazama said at this point it is just a cool character trait, the powers it gives you are passive and mid-tier at best.

Darkshinobi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 03:08:30 AM »

I think it'd be fair if Jashinists had to kill people in order to retain their immortality, however they'd have to use their Cursed Possessed Blood Technique (whatever's it's called) when doing so.

Anyways, the only reasonable limitation that could be put on jashinism in SL is directly the affects of battle style. Hidan clearly was quite devout, and killing anyone in any other method than his curse technique would have been heretical to say the least.

I like these thoughts; they're not actual disadvantages, but help convince a Jashinist to behave as a Jashinist.

No, I've not tried killing a Jashinist anytime lately; but it's a bit of a problem when it comes to min-maxing. Being a Jashinist requires no traits or training; it can be stacked with everything else, and it's still a boost over regular people, even if not as much as it originally seems. There's nothing stopping everyone who wants to go for pure min-max power to be an Uzumaki or Uchiha/Rinnegan Jashinist. Regardless, if the majority of people who aren't Jashinists see no problem with it, then I'm fine with nothing changing as well.

This does bring a question, though: to verify, Jashinists are immortal -- not invulnerable -- right? So if they're completely incinerated by lava or fire, razed into nothingness by wind or lightning, or crushed into a literal pulp by earth or water, what happens?

(On a similar note, what happens to an Edo Tensei zombie if they're crushed under the earth? They'd reform at that exact spot...Which is in the earth, where they're instantaneously crushed again. Game over?)

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 03:11:26 AM »

They are presumably just alive as a pile of ash. Can't do anything, but horribly sentient.

If a zombie is crushed it doesn't regenerate, you'd need to move whatever is in the way.

Camel

• Global Moderator
  • 01010100 01100001 01100011 01101111 01110011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 03:38:58 AM »

They are presumably just alive as a pile of ash. Can't do anything, but horribly sentient.

If a zombie is crushed it doesn't regenerate, you'd need to move whatever is in the way.

Surely, we haven't forgot about Tengai Shinsei?
I thought if the zombie is crushed in any way, it will just reform after a set period.

If it's sealed in any way...well...game over?

But I strayed far from the topic and I want to ask just this; if a Jashinist is sealed or transported away into another dimension, would they still be alive or dead until they find a way to escape?
I was just under the impression that malnutrition can still kill Jashinists...and they aren't really truly immortal unless they are an Edo Tensei zombie.  :oops:

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 03:47:46 AM »

Surely, we haven't forgot about Tengai Shinsei?
I thought if the zombie is crushed in any way, it will just reform after a set period.

If it's sealed in any way...well...game over?

But I strayed far from the topic and I want to ask just this; if a Jashinist is sealed or transported away into another dimension, would they still be alive or dead until they find a way to escape?
I was just under the impression that malnutrition can still kill Jashinists...and they aren't really truly immortal unless they are an Edo Tensei zombie.  :oops:

He meant like what would happen if Gamabunta stepped on an Edo Tensei zombie and then just kept his foot there after obliterating it.

And yeah Jashinists can die of malnutrition that is a fact. As I've always said I'm not immortal, I'm "immortal".

Darkshinobi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 04:08:51 AM »

What counts as malnutrition? Eric brought up a good point here:
Other than that, if you fill up a jashinist's lungs with water, they can't breath; as the body can die from a lack of nutrients, I think it can be argued that going without oxygen long enough would kill them too, though it would likely take longer than an ordinary person.

Since they have to have nutrients to live, then cutting off all circulation in their body (blood, chakra, etc.) would also lead to a speedier death than simple starvation. It is unlikely that a Jashinist can live without their head for more than a few days, but that is my headcanon rather than actual canon, as it is merely presumed that Hidan is still alive and buried.

Nobody went snooping around to actually check on the poor guy.

Does poison count as malnutrition? Inability to breathe for too long? Disease? If a Jashinist is drained of all of his blood, would he die?

I think we're all curious as to what really does and doesn't spell doom for them. The Uzumaki have an extreme life-force, but beyond that they're mortal; cut their head off or drain them of their blood, and they're as dead as NaruSaru.

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 04:17:24 AM »

I don't know .-. If you get a chance to drain me of all my blood I think you could probably kill me regardless.

Darkshinobi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 04:20:00 AM »

Fair enough, though the poison and disease points are still a valid question.

Also:

I like these thoughts; they're not actual disadvantages, but help convince a Jashinist to behave as a Jashinist.

Does anyone agree with one or both of these points, or should Jashinism be left alone as it is?
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.