Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New members: you need admin approval, please petition *in game* if you made an account. :)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: GM feature added to zones  (Read 8931 times)

Hades

• View Profile
GM feature added to zones
« on: June 11, 2014, 05:20:07 PM »

Though it may go without saying, this ability to post namelessly in the zones is a really awesome feature to have made available to the players. I foresee that discussions regarding this may pop up soon anyway, so I figured I'd jump on it.

In the post that Oliver/Neji announced this new feature in, he did say that in the near future it may become limited to invitational zone battles anyway, seeing as people may abuse this. I had high hopes that this could be used fairly, but I've already seen instances of people using it and coloring/formatting the "nameless post" to pose as other players. I think that's pretty low, no matter who does it. Sure in some cases it could just be a funny joke, but the characters are unique to the people that created them for a reason and already, in RP, people have abused that privacy by trying to character control the actions of someone else. Using a nameless post to do that is a new level of low that's added to that, because now the average reader doesn't even have a way to discern where that post really came from. For that reason, Neji was (not at all surprisingly) probably right about the feature needing to be limited to invitational battles.

That being said, I do think there is a time and place for this feature, and probably outside of just the zones. Obviously we have needed this in places like the village square boards as well, although now that I think about it, I haven't checked to see if it works there. If it does, I foresee trouble. That's just me. But given the number of clans that exist to be secondary or non-game villages/village boards, I do think that having the nameless posting feature would actually be good in some other areas as well. Obviously the same problems that can arise in the zones can arise anywhere else too, but in regards to that, I think for the clan halls at least we could perhaps make it a feature available only to the higher-ranking clan members so that it is moderated in that way. The same would be true for dwellings; I think it would be nice for dwelling owners to be able to nameless post in their dwellings, and perhaps also select others who could do so as well. As for the village boards and just the other general talk boards like the bar/ramen shop/beggar's lane, they are the most problematic. I've yet to have any (good) ideas about a potential system that would be fair for allowing some people to nameless post there.

Please share your thoughts on the nameless posting feature below, as well as suggesting any changes we might like the moderators to consider and any thoughts or responses you want to add to anything already posted in the thread.

Warren

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
Re: GM feature added to zones
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 05:34:11 PM »

Not much I can add to that as an opinion, since you already mentioned the potential abuse of this. Good idea. Risky, but good.

As for system stuff though...I dunno could something like that actually be coded/made, but a feature similar to time stamps* might fix or at least alleviate the issue. Turn it on, and it shows the posters name in parenthesis, even when the /game to hide it is used? Or something like that.

*for those who don't know, time stamps show how long ago a post was made.

Ѕhadow

• Roleplay Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 07:20:34 PM »

I was talking to Neji about this earlier today. (Way earlier) and he said that's it's  a trial period and would be worked on. I then mentioned the concerns of it being abused and being specified to specific invitation zones only nearly 30 mins after I started to see the abuse. Give him some time to work out the kinks.

As for outside villages that's what the GM are for (Game Masters) Those who are; Kyu and Zenaku. I've talked to him about their activeness as well as filled my own app out to become one and am pressing the matter as I write this. All things are in the making and will be tweaked as time comes and RL permits him to work on the site.

I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 07:42:28 PM »

I was talking to Neji about this earlier today. (Way earlier) and he said that's it's  a trial period and would be worked on. I then mentioned the concerns of it being abused and being specified to specific invitation zones only nearly 30 mins after I started to see the abuse. Give him some time to work out the kinks.

As for outside villages that's what the GM are for (Game Masters) Those who are; Kyu and Zenaku. I've talked to him about their activeness as well as filled my own app out to become one and am pressing the matter as I write this. All things are in the making and will be tweaked as time comes and RL permits him to work on the site.

Just make sure not to talk about donkeys anymore or you might get banned.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 07:44:23 PM »

Just make sure not to talk about donkeys anymore or you might get banned.

I'll be sure not to.
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Hades

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 09:21:52 PM »

To keep on track here, I'm not complaining or trying to put anyone on a time crunch. The purpose of this thread is help make clear and concise what we'd like as a community as far as this feature goes and to detail what might be the fairest way to achieve that. I know that the mods, especially Neji, like to try to incorporate the things that we, the players, want for the game, but figuring out how to try to make everyone happy isn't easy. This is intended to be a discussion to express what we want and what will be the most fair. To separate out the points I'm presenting for my own thoughts:

Having the nameless posting feature is awesome because there are situations where this is incredibly helpful for us as players.

If anyone can nameless post at anytime the feature will clearly be abused. That abuse includes OOC spamming and and player impersonation/control.

OOC spamming can only be regulated by teaching people to be respectful and there is no linear solution to completely solve that problem. However, if terms are detailed for the situations where one can and cannot nameless post, this will aid the problem of OOC spam and unnecessary nameless posting.

Nameless posting should be available in dwellings for the dwelling owner. (And perhaps additionally some of the key holders could be chosen by the dwelling owner to have this ability as well.)

Nameless posting should be available in clan halls for the higher-ranking clan members. (Perhaps either rank 20 or 25 and above.)

Nameless posting should not be available in areas where it is not applicable, such as: any bar, restaurant, or talk area similar to beggar's lane.

Nameless posting in areas such as public village boards and the boards available when dead should remain limited to game masters. (As a side note to this, it is clear that there has been an increase in staff due to revived accounts, however, if they are not active in their moderator duties, or if we don't have a couple of regularly active Game Master moderators, perhaps the staff should be adjusted accordingly. I will not be lobbying for this as staffing decision are decided upon by Neji and the current staff.)

Nameless posting should be available in private zone fights. By default this should be available to the one who sets up the battle, and they should be given the option to allow the other parties to do so as well. Nameless posting should not be available in the zones.

Nameless posting should perhaps require a feature similar in format to the time stamp that will display the author of the nameless post.

These are the points that I'm presenting based on the activity that I've seen so far and what I think is both logical and fair for giving the players what they want without allowing for unnecessary abuse. This is the discussion and purpose for this thread.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 10:03:47 PM »

To keep on track here, I'm not complaining or trying to put anyone on a time crunch. The purpose of this thread is help make clear and concise what we'd like as a community as far as this feature goes and to detail what might be the fairest way to achieve that. I know that the mods, especially Neji, like to try to incorporate the things that we, the players, want for the game, but figuring out how to try to make everyone happy isn't easy. This is intended to be a discussion to express what we want and what will be the most fair. To separate out the points I'm presenting for my own thoughts:

Having the nameless posting feature is awesome because there are situations where this is incredibly helpful for us as players.

If anyone can nameless post at anytime the feature will clearly be abused. That abuse includes OOC spamming and and player impersonation/control.

OOC spamming can only be regulated by teaching people to be respectful and there is no linear solution to completely solve that problem. However, if terms are detailed for the situations where one can and cannot nameless post, this will aid the problem of OOC spam and unnecessary nameless posting.

Nameless posting should be available in dwellings for the dwelling owner. (And perhaps additionally some of the key holders could be chosen by the dwelling owner to have this ability as well.)

Nameless posting should be available in clan halls for the higher-ranking clan members. (Perhaps either rank 20 or 25 and above.)

Nameless posting should not be available in areas where it is not applicable, such as: any bar, restaurant, or talk area similar to beggar's lane.

Nameless posting in areas such as public village boards and the boards available when dead should remain limited to game masters. (As a side note to this, it is clear that there has been an increase in staff due to revived accounts, however, if they are not active in their moderator duties, or if we don't have a couple of regularly active Game Master moderators, perhaps the staff should be adjusted accordingly. I will not be lobbying for this as staffing decision are decided upon by Neji and the current staff.)

Nameless posting should be available in private zone fights. By default this should be available to the one who sets up the battle, and they should be given the option to allow the other parties to do so as well. Nameless posting should not be available in the zones.

Nameless posting should perhaps require a feature similar in format to the time stamp that will display the author of the nameless post.

These are the points that I'm presenting based on the activity that I've seen so far and what I think is both logical and fair for giving the players what they want without allowing for unnecessary abuse. This is the discussion and purpose for this thread.

I didn't mean it to seem like I was calling you out for not being patient. I'm well aware you are. Again I have been having off an on conversation with Neji voicing concerns with this feature and where else it can be implemented, adjustments it nees.

I have brought up the idea of being able to track who does /game option.

I have brought up in what areas the /game option can be put. (Houses and clans. By house owner and clans by rank 25+) I did not offer it to be in bars or other locations as it's not typical that rp happens there.

As for current boards, like you said should be limited to remain to GM and moderators only and according to Neji, he isn't looking to deal out more GMs currently. The reason is because of this option being implemented. If anyone now can hold rights to /game then there's no need for GMs except for village boards. (Bug Kyu and Zenaku to fulfill their titles. :P)

Nameless posting is in the open zones as a beta test. I passed along to Neji the idea of having group private zones not just 1v1 where the /game option can be made also.

Hades

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 10:23:59 PM »

I didn't mean it to seem like I was calling you out for not being patient. I'm well aware you are. Again I have been having off an on conversation with Neji voicing concerns with this feature and where else it can be implemented, adjustments it nees.

I have brought up the idea of being able to track who does /game option.

I have brought up in what areas the /game option can be put. (Houses and clans. By house owner and clans by rank 25+) I did not offer it to be in bars or other locations as it's not typical that rp happens there.

As for current boards, like you said should be limited to remain to GM and moderators only and according to Neji, he isn't looking to deal out more GMs currently. The reason is because of this option being implemented. If anyone now can hold rights to /game then there's no need for GMs except for village boards. (Bug Kyu and Zenaku to fulfill their titles. :P)

Nameless posting is in the open zones as a beta test. I passed along to Neji the idea of having group private zones not just 1v1 where the /game option can be made also.

Oh, excellent. I meant to put something in my last post about expanding the invitational battles for groups as well, but forgot to stick it in there.

Kyutu - Super King -

• Yep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 11:02:00 PM »

It just started and the only instances I've seen of it being used are so people know it works. I read through the logs in the zones and I haven't seen any 'abuse'. If I missed something free to share it, so I have a better idea of what you're referring to.

>INB4 banned for opinions.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 11:03:39 PM »

It just started and the only instances I've seen of it being used are so people know it works. I read through the logs in the zones and I haven't seen any 'abuse'. If I missed something free to share it, so I have a better idea of what you're referring to.

Those are rp zones. Zone 10 may be an exception, but zone 6 where a bijuu battle is currently going on has been abused. Referring to it being abused is using it when/where it's not needed. Exactly what's happening there.

Kyutu - Super King -

• Yep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 11:13:04 PM »

> (8h59m) The moon howls at the wolf. Bark
> (5h55m) Naruto uses Rasendori and pwns everybody.

These two lines?
Are you really making a fuss over these two lines?

Hades

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 11:14:28 PM »

> (8h59m) The moon howls at the wolf. Bark
> (5h55m) Naruto uses Rasendori and pwns everybody.

These two lines?
Are you really making a fuss over these two lines?

Not just those. I mean, those are disrespectful when a battle is ongoing, but there is much more of that in some of the other zones. Additionally, in zones 3 and 10 people have used nameless posts to pose as Tom and Bocchi.

Kyutu - Super King -

• Yep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 11:20:35 PM »

> (6h13m) <|雲|> Tom loses the next second, before slipping on an ice cube.

>(6h28m) <暁> 真 Bocchiere abuses this feature.

It's a good thing you can hover over names to see if it's legit or not.

How about we give this more than a day before making judgement calls? Let the 'newness' of it settle a bit and see what people actually use it for.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 11:27:38 PM »

> (6h13m) <|雲|> Tom loses the next second, before slipping on an ice cube.

>(6h28m) <暁> 真 Bocchiere abuses this feature.

It's a good thing you can hover over names to see if it's legit or not.

How about we give this more than a day before making judgement calls? Let the 'newness' of it settle a bit and see what people actually use it for.

We're not pulling stuff out of our asses here. We base our concerns on how the community of SL is. It will without a doubt be abused. While it's not persistent right now it will be.

Nameless /game is going to be an issue.

Kyutu - Super King -

• Yep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 11:28:51 PM »

We're not pulling stuff out of our asses here. We base our concerns on how the community of SL is. It will without a doubt be abused. While it's not persistent right now it will be.

Nameless /game is going to be an issue.

So you're punishing people before they've done anything truly 'wrong' because you know how they are?
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 17 queries.