Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ever wondered if your ideas have been talked about in the forum already? Well, try out the "search" option, where all your questions can be answered.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Ban Techniques?  (Read 23669 times)

Nijiri Rinha

• View Profile
Ban Techniques?
« on: October 31, 2014, 10:25:07 AM »

There have been a lot of problems with roleplaying in the shinobi legends website. You're well aware of it and so am I. It happens in the zones, it happens in personal messages; it pretty much happens everywhere roleplaying is able to happen. I've been witnessing a lot of fighting over techniques that my fellow shinobi have been using against one another. There have been a lot of arguments caused by the use of these techniques.

A lot of S rank techniques that only Kekkei genkai wielding players have been using against one another and against players without resets have been causing quite the disruption. I've been seeing a lot of arguments based on the premise on time, on god-modding etc. So perhaps there should be official rules for these techniques? No? I feel that if there were a set of rules for these more advanced techniques, or perhaps for each rank of techniques (if there isn't a set already), a lot of these arguments would stop. I'm very curious to hear the opinion of everyone else. Negative or not.

My opinion is this, if there were a set of rules that govern the use of advanced techniques such as the ones that the Mangekyo Sharingan, Sharingan, Byakugan, Rinnegan, Hyoton, Sage Mode, and Wood Style (If I've forgotten a reset please forgive me) users would use, then many of these arguments would stop. Any further thoughts anyone?

Ѕhadow

• Roleplay Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Ban Techniques?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 01:16:58 PM »

We've tried, but then people feel their 'creativeness' is being shut down. There is no way to put rules up for rp and as I spend more and more time on SL and see these topics come up, I'm getting deeper into that mindset.

What set of rules can you think of. Maybe, just MAYBE it can happen. Though I am 99.98% doubtful anything will come to fruition.
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Nijiri Rinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 05:51:25 PM »

People's creativeness being shut down? Ha! That amuses me. Whether their creativity gets shut down or not isn't an issue in my opinion. However I'll reach a middle ground here. I have a few different sets of rules in mind. If any player wants to become "creative" and make their own technique then I think they should follow these guidelines.

1. Give the technique a name of course.
2. List the hand seals by order.
3. Tell the rank of this technique (Everyone knows the ranks)
4. Tell what class this technique falls under. (Offfensive, defensive.)
5. What Classification does this technique fall under? Ninjutsu, Genjutsu, Fuinjutsu etc.
6. The range of the jutsu. (Close Range, Mid Range, Long Range)
7. And of course a description of how the jutsu is used.
8. When the steps above are completed, send it to a judge or a moderator (I doubt a moderator would have to take a look, I think a neutral judge would suffice)  for approval. Someone who is completely neutral to see if the technique is not too over powered.

(And this is not my only idea.)

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 06:14:10 PM »

People's creativeness being shut down? Ha! That amuses me. Whether their creativity gets shut down or not isn't an issue in my opinion. However I'll reach a middle ground here. I have a few different sets of rules in mind. If any player wants to become "creative" and make their own technique then I think they should follow these guidelines.

1. Give the technique a name of course.
2. List the hand seals by order.
3. Tell the rank of this technique (Everyone knows the ranks)
4. Tell what class this technique falls under. (Offfensive, defensive.)
5. What Classification does this technique fall under? Ninjutsu, Genjutsu, Fuinjutsu etc.
6. The range of the jutsu. (Close Range, Mid Range, Long Range)
7. And of course a description of how the jutsu is used.
8. When the steps above are completed, send it to a judge or a moderator (I doubt a moderator would have to take a look, I think a neutral judge would suffice)  for approval. Someone who is completely neutral to see if the technique is not too over powered.

(And this is not my only idea.)

As someone who uses many custom techniques and rarely gets into terrible discussion with those i fight when I use them, I will put it this way;

a custom technique generally is created, and then tried out in some fashion. If disagreements come up regarding it, then the creator generally make it more clear or adjusts the technique accordingly. If none come, then the technique is "acceptable" and does not require changes until either the creator feels such or an issue arises.

To an extent, that is what spars are very useful for. Trying out new techniques and fleshing them out. Their weaknesses, their strengths, and more importantly, areas where they need improvement.
The only issue I get with this is when people adjust their custom technique to the point in which the one or two weaknesses it did have are completely resolved because these weaknesse were exploited. For example, I create flying shadow, but the one weakness that it has (other than requiring a handsign) is that it can only be used to transort a single user (in order to further distance it from a similar technique, Hiraishin).

If, after finally using it in battle, I decide after the fight to change it so that I can transport others without additional steps, then that kind of thing is what I have an issue with with custom techniques. Otherwise, it is trial, see if it gets by, and then error in application. It helps for the custom technique to have a sort of creation log to it, but that is not required.

Regarding handseals, rarely do RPers specify the precise handseals that they are using, so including those in a custom technique is largely redundant and unnecessary, in my opinion at least. To be truthful, I have seen fewer arguments regarding techniques themselves and more on how they are actually used in a fight.

In short, as a custom technique whore who has relatively few issues with people accepting his custom technique, I think that putting restrictions on custom techniquess is uneeded. Additionally, making more rules regarding canon techniques is very much not necessary most of the time (obviously hiraishin and Edo Tensei are two examples that come to mind right now) and would only serve to make RP more regulatory madness.

Imho, maybe rules specifically on special S-ranked techniques, but other than that, the rest should be left alone.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Nijiri Rinha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 06:48:12 PM »

Alright allow me to add a couple steps to the guidelines.
1. A clear and thorough description of the technique. (this includes the chakra nature used, the shape of the chakra, how the user shapes the chakra, how the user performs the technique, the techniques weaknesses, the techniques strengths, I'm talking a naruto Wikipedia description here. The opponent and judge needs to know.)
2. And as for the Edo Tensei and those other S Ranked techniques, only those who have the required resets and prerequisites should only be able to use them. (Sage of the Six Paths etc.)

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 07:10:11 PM »

Alright allow me to add a couple steps to the guidelines.
1. A clear and thorough description of the technique. (this includes the chakra nature used, the shape of the chakra, how the user shapes the chakra, how the user performs the technique, the techniques weaknesses, the techniques strengths, I'm talking a naruto Wikipedia description here. The opponent and judge needs to know.)
2. And as for the Edo Tensei and those other S Ranked techniques, only those who have the required resets and prerequisites should only be able to use them. (Sage of the Six Paths etc.)

1. No. You don't need to say what the weaknesses are nor the strengths. What's the point of making a technique if you're going to tell the world how to block it? "Hey I'm probably going to use my custom tech in a fight and this is how you render it useless" <--- Yup. Chakra nature is typically stated. Shape is stated if it's a technique molded after the rasengan or some other thing, otherwise it'd be useless info to say the shape of your dragon chidori is in the shape of a.....dragon. Performs it? Chakra kneaded and exerted from the body. Like all other techniques.

^ There aren't many (or any) custom techs I've seen that don't give a clear layout of how it's used.

2. Resets in-game DO NOT equal resets in rp. I don't see how clicking for 15 hours straight in the forest has anything to do with your rp skill. Also things like Edo has had over 10 + forum topics made to make it 'legit'. As is Edo Tensei doesn't need any prereqs. It doesn't state any. Kabuto uses it and has no kg (Sage mode kinda), Orochimaru did't. The 2nd Hokage didn't.
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Nijiri Rinha

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 07:22:10 PM »

Ever since I came back, there have been a lot of players who have been making such  arguments as: "You don't have the Sharingan reset so you can't copy my techinques" or "You don't have the Hyuga reset so you can't block my chakra network." or "You don't have the Mangekyo Sharingan so you can't use the Amaterasu.", I've been hearing that argument so many times. I understand that laying out your technique's weakness and strength can sound odd, but both the judge needs to know EVERYTHING about the technique you want to create (if you are going to make one. But I'm mainly focused on the S Ranked techniques everyone is making a fuss about)

Now back on topic, the main question here: Should players who do not have the required resets be prohibited from using the techniques that the resets offer? (For example Mangekyo Sharingan---> Amaterasu. Well I never got that reset yet, but for those who have, you get what I mean.) And other techniques that have been causing so many arguments. I want to hear some of your ideas as well. We need to have a set of rules. These senseless arguments within the zones and in these forums need to stop. (No offense to anyone of course.)

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 07:33:25 PM »

Ever since I came back, there have been a lot of players who have been making such  arguments as: "You don't have the Sharingan reset so you can't copy my techinques" or "You don't have the Hyuga reset so you can't block my chakra network." or "You don't have the Mangekyo Sharingan so you can't use the Amaterasu.", I've been hearing that argument so many times. I understand that laying out your technique's weakness and strength can sound odd, but both the judge needs to know EVERYTHING about the technique you want to create (if you are going to make one. But I'm mainly focused on the S Ranked techniques everyone is making a fuss about)

Now back on topic, the main question here: Should players who do not have the required resets be prohibited from using the techniques that the resets offer? (For example Mangekyo Sharingan---> Amaterasu. Well I never got that reset yet, but for those who have, you get what I mean.) And other techniques that have been causing so many arguments. I want to hear some of your ideas as well. We need to have a set of rules. These senseless arguments within the zones and in these forums need to stop. (No offense to anyone of course.)

All of those are legit arguments....I- yeah you do need EMS to use Amaterasu. You can't just spew it from your mouth. xD

You do need the resets to use reset based techs. That's obvious.

To get resets without getting reborns in-game? Well you state your Uchiha born and then go kill someone IC for their sharingan and get EMS and then you either get rinnegan by stealing mokuton DNA from a senju person. To get toads you just rp training in senjutsu. To get kaguya/haku. Well here on SL we just have those two. And for gates you just train a lot. Hyuuga is same as uchiha. Just claim to be born with it.

Warren

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 07:44:18 PM »

Just normal mangekyo's enough actually, though it might as well still be eternal since every sharingan user who goes there magically gets it somehow regardless.

Anyway, the whole trying to establish absolute rules everyone has to follow has been tried before, and its never worked. There's basically 3 kinds of people when it comes to reset related stuff.

1. Reset rule = these folks demand you absolutely have the resets, such as 1 hyuuga or you can't even scratch your ass jyuken style.

2. RP acquired = the opposite of the above, these follow acquiring things through RP, some will even laugh at the forest stuff. "So you've a stack of 16 resets? Don't care, you never did a single post of getting any of that, so I'll treat you like an acad.", and so on.

3. Compromise = the middle path, as name say they don't really give a damn of which you do, as long as you're reasonable about it. Meaning, you try be hardass about reset rules and give em a tough time of using abilities without resets, while you yourself are either loaning, exchanging or lacking them yourself? Not gonna fly. Personally I'd put myself among this lot, my main for example (even though his resets are coincidentally the same as his abilities) got his stuff all through RP before resets were ever even implemented into the game.

Kage

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 08:26:46 PM »

This is really the wrong section to talk about this kind of stuff. But other than that, here's what I have to say.

An S-rank technique is deemed such because it is either difficult to master, a danger to the user, a massive danger to their opponent in the sense of it's power, or it happens to be a technique that is a taboo of some sort. Or a combination of either of those. Usually users of such techniques are pretty much S-rank ninja. But you should rather be asking: what determines if someone is an S-rank ninja? What gives them the authority to call themselves such?

The following is taken from Narutopedia.

http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/S-rank
S-rank (Sランク, Esu ranku) is one of the six classifications. It is preceded by A-rank. It is typically used when classifying techniques intended for highly experienced jōnin and Kage-level shinobi. S-rank techniques are almost always unique to a single user, and as such are trademark abilities of that user.

Missions can also be classified as S-rank, these are the highest paying and most dangerous type of mission a ninja can go on. These missions are exclusively assigned to highly skilled jōnin or large squads of ninja. S-rank missions pay at least 1,000,000 ryō.

"S-rank" is also a designation given to extremely powerful missing-nin, earning them a place in their village of origin's Bingo Book.[1] The organisation Akatsuki was stated to be comprised mostly of S-rank criminals.[2]

So then you gotta question this: is this person on the level of a highly-skilled Jōnin or Kage? That depends on what power scale you're going by. If you're going by the series, then most-likely. But if you're going by the SL-verse, then most-likely not. Take a look at all the current Kage of SL, and then at their predecessors. The power-level gauge has slowly been creeping up with each new reign.

http://narutoprofile.wikia.com/wiki/Kage

Also just to put it out there for this discussion, I'm one of those people that stick with resets when it comes to your character having Kekkei Genkai, Eight Gates and Sage Mode. The reason why I go with that, is because SL is a game site first and an RP site second. I mean, if you want establish a mass dictation on RP, then a separate site dedicated solely to RP should be made for such. But SL has lots of history behind it, and within that history, people have slowly established an RP order to it. The more things that happen, the more that RP is talked about and more things are established. I've personally gone through in-game things and RP to get all the stuff that I have so far.

Though the learning of techniques is pretty much free-game, if your character has the ability and opportunity to learn them.

There are probably more violators to this than our little KG rules. I could actually name a few people off the top of my head who aren't on the claims list, and yet insist upon saying that they learned [SUPER SPECIAL TECHNIQUE] from an encounter from a [SUPER POWERFUL CANON CHARACTER] from an encounter from their time in [SECRET SPECIAL LOCATION] in the [NARUTOVERSE]. Funnily enough, if we were to compile and put together the histories of these violators, they would more likely cause a ruckus and bicker with each other on who is really the real user of this technique. But sure some of the histories of some of us that follow along these RP rules we've set up for the SL-verse may have some slight inconsistencies, but we're more likely to have more relatively-civil discussion about it rectifying that.

Warren

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 08:55:02 PM »

Yet shooting down every RP person because of a few jackasses is plain BS, similarly to claims. Sure I get it keeps it so that not everyone can just grab every OP thing on the fly and play god, but seriously? There have been quite plentiful cases where people are quite literally not allowed to even THINK of an idea, much less attempt accomplishing it, just because someone else claimed it first.

I know the claims system isn't going anywhere though, so that's enough of that.

I will however say its also quite some nonsense to demand resets first no matter what, and even more so to require RP on top of that too, instead of allowing just RP (if legitly done of course). Not everyone is an amazing forester with zounds of time to spare, not even to mention ever so often the lower level people can turn out to be far better RPers than the majorly stacked folk too. Hell, you could even consider it somewhat hypocritical depending on ones point of view, if you look at reset loaners.

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 05:10:38 AM »

Two things:

It's weird how many of the current kage happen to be Rokudaime.

Also, Kage, that post was fantastic. Tenouttaten.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 05:42:54 PM »

We have tried a lot of the thing suggested here before and they tend to work for about two seconds...that is until it means someone doesn't get what they want. Then the gloves come off and we are back to the baby festival of squals.

Speaking of which, when is the Iwa rp going to continue? How long do we have to wait for the current stupidity to resolve itself? Can we kick out the two players who cant' figure it out and continue on our own?

THAT is a solution. You get 3 days of this BS then you are both gone. Problem solved.

Anyway...when it came to custom jutsu. Zenaku, Mei, FlamingChaos, Mariko and myself used to chit chat about it. use it on each other, fix this, fix that. and ta dah. New jutsu was born. That was just my zoning circle of buddies. Everyone was doing it that way with their friends too. It worked. We moderated ourselves.

And you know what else? We tried to keep the BS down cause we realized that if we ticked our friends off we wouldn't have anyone to play with.

We went to a forum to rp...Shinobi Legends Society. It was fun for about 12 seconds. Then the gloves came off. It was way too rule heavy and we all developed personality disorders.

What is needed is sportsman like behavior and manners. IT always comes down to the fit throwing.

And I thin kit stems from the panic attack we get when our characters are about to face death. For those of us who actually create a back story and work on our character, to just have that trashed in 2 seconds by someone pulling out his lazer cannon death ray of impossible to dodge success kind of makes you want to scream SERIOUSLY??????? We used to be able to withdraw from battle without being yelled at and vilified and hounded all over the site by trash talk and ganged up on by fan girls of the one who was killing you and to have them make stupid claims about you as to IC without your consent.

these are my rules...

behave
no character control
post before I die....
PLEASE?????

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 05:47:22 PM »

Thank you so very much for that post Kay.

Nijiri Rinha

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 09:42:02 PM »

We have tried a lot of the thing suggested here before and they tend to work for about two seconds...that is until it means someone doesn't get what they want. Then the gloves come off and we are back to the baby festival of squals.

Speaking of which, when is the Iwa rp going to continue? How long do we have to wait for the current stupidity to resolve itself? Can we kick out the two players who cant' figure it out and continue on our own?

THAT is a solution. You get 3 days of this BS then you are both gone. Problem solved.

Anyway...when it came to custom jutsu. Zenaku, Mei, FlamingChaos, Mariko and myself used to chit chat about it. use it on each other, fix this, fix that. and ta dah. New jutsu was born. That was just my zoning circle of buddies. Everyone was doing it that way with their friends too. It worked. We moderated ourselves.

And you know what else? We tried to keep the BS down cause we realized that if we ticked our friends off we wouldn't have anyone to play with.

We went to a forum to rp...Shinobi Legends Society. It was fun for about 12 seconds. Then the gloves came off. It was way too rule heavy and we all developed personality disorders.

What is needed is sportsman like behavior and manners. IT always comes down to the fit throwing.

And I thin kit stems from the panic attack we get when our characters are about to face death. For those of us who actually create a back story and work on our character, to just have that trashed in 2 seconds by someone pulling out his lazer cannon death ray of impossible to dodge success kind of makes you want to scream SERIOUSLY??????? We used to be able to withdraw from battle without being yelled at and vilified and hounded all over the site by trash talk and ganged up on by fan girls of the one who was killing you and to have them make stupid claims about you as to IC without your consent.

these are my rules...

behave
no character control
post before I die....
PLEASE?????

You do make a great point Kayenta. About zoning with a circle of friends and what not. That really does work out a lot. And yes, you are right. We do need sportsman like behavior and manners, definitely manners. The question is, can a set of rule be brought together that can bring about this kind of behavior? I know that's asking for quite the impossible.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 19 queries.