Game Development > Discussions

Ban Techniques?

(1/16) > >>

Nijiri Rinha:
There have been a lot of problems with roleplaying in the shinobi legends website. You're well aware of it and so am I. It happens in the zones, it happens in personal messages; it pretty much happens everywhere roleplaying is able to happen. I've been witnessing a lot of fighting over techniques that my fellow shinobi have been using against one another. There have been a lot of arguments caused by the use of these techniques.

A lot of S rank techniques that only Kekkei genkai wielding players have been using against one another and against players without resets have been causing quite the disruption. I've been seeing a lot of arguments based on the premise on time, on god-modding etc. So perhaps there should be official rules for these techniques? No? I feel that if there were a set of rules for these more advanced techniques, or perhaps for each rank of techniques (if there isn't a set already), a lot of these arguments would stop. I'm very curious to hear the opinion of everyone else. Negative or not.

My opinion is this, if there were a set of rules that govern the use of advanced techniques such as the ones that the Mangekyo Sharingan, Sharingan, Byakugan, Rinnegan, Hyoton, Sage Mode, and Wood Style (If I've forgotten a reset please forgive me) users would use, then many of these arguments would stop. Any further thoughts anyone?

Ѕhadow:
We've tried, but then people feel their 'creativeness' is being shut down. There is no way to put rules up for rp and as I spend more and more time on SL and see these topics come up, I'm getting deeper into that mindset.

What set of rules can you think of. Maybe, just MAYBE it can happen. Though I am 99.98% doubtful anything will come to fruition.

Nijiri Rinha:
People's creativeness being shut down? Ha! That amuses me. Whether their creativity gets shut down or not isn't an issue in my opinion. However I'll reach a middle ground here. I have a few different sets of rules in mind. If any player wants to become "creative" and make their own technique then I think they should follow these guidelines.

1. Give the technique a name of course.
2. List the hand seals by order.
3. Tell the rank of this technique (Everyone knows the ranks)
4. Tell what class this technique falls under. (Offfensive, defensive.)
5. What Classification does this technique fall under? Ninjutsu, Genjutsu, Fuinjutsu etc.
6. The range of the jutsu. (Close Range, Mid Range, Long Range)
7. And of course a description of how the jutsu is used.
8. When the steps above are completed, send it to a judge or a moderator (I doubt a moderator would have to take a look, I think a neutral judge would suffice)  for approval. Someone who is completely neutral to see if the technique is not too over powered.

(And this is not my only idea.)

Eric:

--- Quote from: Nijiri Rinha on October 31, 2014, 05:51:25 PM ---People's creativeness being shut down? Ha! That amuses me. Whether their creativity gets shut down or not isn't an issue in my opinion. However I'll reach a middle ground here. I have a few different sets of rules in mind. If any player wants to become "creative" and make their own technique then I think they should follow these guidelines.

1. Give the technique a name of course.
2. List the hand seals by order.
3. Tell the rank of this technique (Everyone knows the ranks)
4. Tell what class this technique falls under. (Offfensive, defensive.)
5. What Classification does this technique fall under? Ninjutsu, Genjutsu, Fuinjutsu etc.
6. The range of the jutsu. (Close Range, Mid Range, Long Range)
7. And of course a description of how the jutsu is used.
8. When the steps above are completed, send it to a judge or a moderator (I doubt a moderator would have to take a look, I think a neutral judge would suffice)  for approval. Someone who is completely neutral to see if the technique is not too over powered.

(And this is not my only idea.)

--- End quote ---

As someone who uses many custom techniques and rarely gets into terrible discussion with those i fight when I use them, I will put it this way;

a custom technique generally is created, and then tried out in some fashion. If disagreements come up regarding it, then the creator generally make it more clear or adjusts the technique accordingly. If none come, then the technique is "acceptable" and does not require changes until either the creator feels such or an issue arises.

To an extent, that is what spars are very useful for. Trying out new techniques and fleshing them out. Their weaknesses, their strengths, and more importantly, areas where they need improvement.
The only issue I get with this is when people adjust their custom technique to the point in which the one or two weaknesses it did have are completely resolved because these weaknesse were exploited. For example, I create flying shadow, but the one weakness that it has (other than requiring a handsign) is that it can only be used to transort a single user (in order to further distance it from a similar technique, Hiraishin).

If, after finally using it in battle, I decide after the fight to change it so that I can transport others without additional steps, then that kind of thing is what I have an issue with with custom techniques. Otherwise, it is trial, see if it gets by, and then error in application. It helps for the custom technique to have a sort of creation log to it, but that is not required.

Regarding handseals, rarely do RPers specify the precise handseals that they are using, so including those in a custom technique is largely redundant and unnecessary, in my opinion at least. To be truthful, I have seen fewer arguments regarding techniques themselves and more on how they are actually used in a fight.

In short, as a custom technique whore who has relatively few issues with people accepting his custom technique, I think that putting restrictions on custom techniquess is uneeded. Additionally, making more rules regarding canon techniques is very much not necessary most of the time (obviously hiraishin and Edo Tensei are two examples that come to mind right now) and would only serve to make RP more regulatory madness.

Imho, maybe rules specifically on special S-ranked techniques, but other than that, the rest should be left alone.

Nijiri Rinha:
Alright allow me to add a couple steps to the guidelines.
1. A clear and thorough description of the technique. (this includes the chakra nature used, the shape of the chakra, how the user shapes the chakra, how the user performs the technique, the techniques weaknesses, the techniques strengths, I'm talking a naruto Wikipedia description here. The opponent and judge needs to know.)
2. And as for the Edo Tensei and those other S Ranked techniques, only those who have the required resets and prerequisites should only be able to use them. (Sage of the Six Paths etc.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version