Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please petition corrupted/Badnavs in game, nothing can be done from the forums.

Author Topic: Can someone please explain Yin, Yang, and Yin-Yang now that the series is over  (Read 1624 times)

Eric

• View Profile

Very long title, but it pretty much is the question. We know that Yin and Yang energies are used to make basic chakra; however, as the series progressed, Yin and Yang could be used independently of each other, and even together to form a special Yin-Yang release.

Narutopedia makes this confusing. Genjutsu and shadow imitation (among other things) are supposedly two examples of Yin release. Meanwhile, the Akimichi techniques and medical jutsu fall under Yang.

The problem is, what the heck is Yin-Yang then? Is it the advanced chakra nature of Yin and Yang? And if so, then how in the blue blazes does it work?
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Garō, Ichirou

• View Profile

Yin relates to one's spiritual energy and Yang relates to one's physical energy, To further elaborate using your own examples, Genjutsu and things of the like aren't actually effecting your physical body, where as the Akimichi technique effects the actual state of the physical body. Manipulating both Yin and Yang is what gives birth to things like the Shadow techniques, and Medical ninjutsu.

At least, I think so.

Eric

• View Profile

Yin relates to one's spiritual energy and Yang relates to one's physical energy, To further elaborate using your own examples, Genjutsu and things of the like aren't actually effecting your physical body, where as the Akimichi technique effects the actual state of the physical body. Manipulating both Yin and Yang is what gives birth to things like the Shadow techniques, and Medical ninjutsu.

At least, I think so.

That would make sense, but Narutopedia is calling shadow imitation Yin release:

http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_Imitation_Technique

Like, wut? I don't get how they put shadow imitation in the same release category as genjutsu.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Garō, Ichirou

• View Profile

I think that's just for the sake of Categorization, in the description of Yin-yang release they say that the Manipulation of Yin and Yang gives way to Shadow Imitation and things of the sort, it also says that Akimichi stuff is produced this way, so pretty much without having everything else required for gudodama Yin, yang, and yin-yang are pretty much everything.

http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Yin%E2%80%93Yang_Release

Eric

• View Profile

But if it's not a Yin release, why categorize it as a yin release?  :-?

The wiki suggests that Akimichi is of the Yang category of things.

Why the mislabels? Are they just trying to confuse RPers or something?

Garō, Ichirou

• View Profile

I feel like it's just a mistake in such a drawn out series. They set up yin and yang release as the way that the Sosp created the world and shit and just started throwing jutsu into their categories, but at the same time it takes both releases to even utilize ninjutsu? I don't know it's kinda stupid complicated. Everyone is a user of Yin and Yang releases lol

Eric

• View Profile

I feel like it's just a mistake in such a drawn out series. They set up yin and yang release as the way that the Sosp created the world and shit and just started throwing jutsu into their categories, but at the same time it takes both releases to even utilize ninjutsu? I don't know it's kinda stupid complicated. Everyone is a user of Yin and Yang releases lol

If anyone asks me why I made this thread while this thread is still up, I will post this response as my answer. except the "everyone i a usesr of Ying and Yang releases", since not everyone can use genjutssu doncha know.

Garō, Ichirou

• View Profile

Woot Woot, and yeah that's true but more than Genjutsu counts as Yin release, like Yin Healing Wound destruction and all that Jazz

Warren

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile

Mistakes all around imo. I'll try elaborate my own understanding of it.

Chakra may take physical and spiritual energy to mold, but I daresay its not yin and yang releases we're talking about, cause then as aforementioned everyone would be Hagoromo. If anything, its the energies in their raw, unfiltered state, not something you can call a release. Kind of like how we have just plain blue chakra, and then elemental sorts like katon et cetera.

Yang is physical things, be it healing or bodily alterations. Choji changes his size, Kiba turns more beastly, Naruto heals with his hand mark, and so on.

Yin is spiritual, be it either purely the obscure spiritual sort such as genjutsu or those spectral ghost things Tayuyas three beasties had, or then giving something usually immaterial such as a shadow an actual tangible form.

Applying yin and yang to some technique that isn't innately of the release...up to ones own interpretation whether it works or not I guess. As examples, applying yang to katon chakra might produce a physical change related to it, such as lifting body temperature, radiating heat, perhaps emenating flames from tenketsu instead of usual spitting it out from the mouth. Applying yin is a bit more obscure, but figure it'd be either side effects such as affecting the stamina and or spiritual energy directly such as Tayuyas ghost, possibly form changes outside of what typical spacial manipulation can do such as turning an ever so typical stream of fire into a rope instead.

Case by case really. There isn't any uniform, guaranteed result that can be applied to everything in narutoverse.

But what of yin seal release, isn't that yin release? I doubt it, its probably just a fancy name for it without any real meaning, buuuut if you really insist on it then if anything its probably speaking of the seal itself, not creation rebirth. You have been after all amassing chakra to a single point in the body for three years or who knows how long, its common sense that it'd take special means to hold that much power in check.

Eric

• View Profile

So I did some thinking, and straight from my thinkbox on SLS (it was kind of dusty since I haven't done much technique creation since then that required heavy thought):

It has been a very long time since I've come to this notebook. But the Naruto series has, canonically anyways, ended (it's been over for a week and some change now if not more) and there are still so many questions.

What is Yin and Yang?

First, it is important to differentiate between Yin, Yang, spiritual energy, and physical energy, and to understand what nature transformation is.

Physical energy and spiritual energy are the basis for ALL chakra. Nature transformation, according to the latest canon, is not across the board related to the balance of physical and spiritual energies. In fact, only Yin release and Yang release are dependent upon the ratio of spiritual energy and physical energy. That means that nature transformation is purely a transformation done after the chakra, the spiritual energy and the physical energy, is brought together.

With this understanding in mind, Yin Release is when a disproportionate amount of spiritual energy is used. Governing imagination and the spiritual, and the creation of form, it makes sense then that Yin has the ability to create form changing techniques such as shadow imitation alongside mind altering techniques such as genjutsu and the Yamanaka mind transfer ability.

Yang on the other hand governs vitality and the body, so techniques that turn calories into muscle and/or chakra and most medical techniques would understandably fall under this category. This means that the "non-elemental" techniques are in fact elemental; they are either Yin, or they are Yang, or Yin-Yang in nature. This means that Ying would theoretically be the counter to Yang, and vice versa. At the same time, when they are combined, they create a KG-like release that perfectly compliments both chakras (not energies, chakras).

But what is Yin-Yang then? While it may seem like the basis of all chakra molding, it is not quite the basis. Yin-Yang is the combination of Yin release and Yang release, much like how Mokuton is the combination of Suiton and Doton. If Yang chakra is predominately physical energy combined with already formed chakra, and Yin chakra predominately spiritual energy combined with already formed chakra, then balancing these two perfectly would only be a matter of bringing them together like a lock and key right?

Well, maybe, except how to balance Yin and how to balance Yang varies between usage. Shadow imitation clearly has more physical energy in it than the ordinary genjutsu. The secrets of this balance is the same as the secret to balancing Mokuton and Doton, or Raiton and Doton, and explains why Yin and Yang techniques are generally the "secret" techniques. The Iwagakure kinjutsu with the mouth hands is probably a Yang release of some sort, but goodness, imagine the imagination that went into creating a mouth! Or not, since humans naturally have mouths.

So Yin-Yang release is even more difficult because its actual ratio ALSO VARIES between usage. Techniques that could create the tailed beasts would likely have a different ratio than those used to turn reality into illusion.

So, in conclusion, Yin: Mind over matter. Yang: Matter over mind. Yin-Yang: Body and Mind over reality.

So yeah, there are my new thoughts on it.

Page created in 1.074 seconds with 17 queries.