Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please petition corrupted/Badnavs in game, nothing can be done from the forums.

Author Topic: What's wrong with english names of things?  (Read 3070 times)

Teostra

• View Profile
What's wrong with english names of things?
« on: February 03, 2015, 04:53:29 PM »

Well, this is something I've always noticed since I've been here. It's present in both gameplay and RP, Japanese jutsu. I'm wondering if I'm the only one who has this issue. For example, let's go with gameplay to start.
Kawarimi no Jutsu, Kakuremino no Jutsu, Bunshin no Jutsu, Jyūken, Hakke Rokujyūyonshō, Hakkeshō Kaiten, Hakke Hyakunijyūhasshō, Shikotsumyaku, Tsubaki no Mai, Karamatsu no Mai, Hessendan, Yanagi no Mai, Kokushintō, 天道, Tendō (Deva Path), 地獄道, Jigokudō (Naraka Path), Kirigakure no Jutsu, Kaihoudan, Suijinheki, Suiryuudan no Jutsu
That's a list of all the jutsu I can use right now. Honestly, I don't have a clue what a lot of them do and often have to pull up the Naruto Wikia to go 'Oh, so that's likely what it'll do.' And isn't it just redundant to have two different ways to say 'Naraka Path' and then have Naraka Path in brackets right afterwards? I'm wondering if there could maybe be an option in game to select how the jutsu are displayed, original Japanese method or english method.

And as for RP-wise, I'm going to pick on you Dart because you've just recently posted in that fight one.
'Sairento Kiringu (Silent Killing)', 'chakura mōdo (Chakra Mode)', 'Infūin (Yin Seal)'
Why would you include the bracket translations? Wouldn't it just save you time to put it in english? Most of them WOULD save you both time and space. 15 characters vs 13 and 11 vs 10. Plus you have to look up the special letters too unless you're copy/pasting.
But it's not just you, it's a whole bunch of people in RP. I can understand Doton vs Earth Style (save space and time again) or any of the other jutsu headers. But why not say Doton: Earth Armor instead of    Iwa no Yoroi? That way, instead of the person you're RPing with having to look up what that does or you write out a long-winded explanation that, basically says, 'Your skin hardens like rock'

Just a ranting a bit and wanted to know if anyone else felt the same.

Most SL RPers these days - http://postimg.org/image/o2621ldd9/

Dart Terumī

• Roleplay Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What's wrong with english names of things?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 04:57:04 PM »

Well, this is something I've always noticed since I've been here. It's present in both gameplay and RP, Japanese jutsu. I'm wondering if I'm the only one who has this issue. For example, let's go with gameplay to start.
Kawarimi no Jutsu, Kakuremino no Jutsu, Bunshin no Jutsu, Jyūken, Hakke Rokujyūyonshō, Hakkeshō Kaiten, Hakke Hyakunijyūhasshō, Shikotsumyaku, Tsubaki no Mai, Karamatsu no Mai, Hessendan, Yanagi no Mai, Kokushintō, 天道, Tendō (Deva Path), 地獄道, Jigokudō (Naraka Path), Kirigakure no Jutsu, Kaihoudan, Suijinheki, Suiryuudan no Jutsu
That's a list of all the jutsu I can use right now. Honestly, I don't have a clue what a lot of them do and often have to pull up the Naruto Wikia to go 'Oh, so that's likely what it'll do.' And isn't it just redundant to have two different ways to say 'Naraka Path' and then have Naraka Path in brackets right afterwards? I'm wondering if there could maybe be an option in game to select how the jutsu are displayed, original Japanese method or english method.

And as for RP-wise, I'm going to pick on you Dart because you've just recently posted in that fight one.
'Sairento Kiringu (Silent Killing)', 'chakura mōdo (Chakra Mode)', 'Infūin (Yin Seal)'
Why would you include the bracket translations? Wouldn't it just save you time to put it in english? Most of them WOULD save you both time and space. 15 characters vs 13 and 11 vs 10. Plus you have to look up the special letters too unless you're copy/pasting.
But it's not just you, it's a whole bunch of people in RP. I can understand Doton vs Earth Style (save space and time again) or any of the other jutsu headers. But why not say Doton: Earth Armor instead of    Iwa no Yoroi? That way, instead of the person you're RPing with having to look up what that does or you write out a long-winded explanation that, basically says, 'Your skin hardens like rock'

Just a ranting a bit and wanted to know if anyone else felt the same.

It's a personal preference. Anyone can do anything they want to do.

You have problems reading my stuff or how I choose to format or type it, then don't read my stuff. Simple as that.

EDIT: And what you're asking for would be considered an in-game feature request. You should probably post there if you want that option.

And I have a fancy smartphone keyboard and tablet that already have the "special characters" that allow for me to type it out. Plus, it isn't hard to copy and paste either if I'm feeling especially lazy.

Either way, I like using the Japanese romaji because it looks cooler and fits in more to the 'verse. The English translations are there to tell people what it is if they are feeling lazy and not wanting to look it up.

I don't care about length or time to write. I write because it's fun. And I'll continue to do such. So, I'll reiterate my point, if you don't like that style, then don't read it. It is really that simple. <.<
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 05:17:06 PM by Dart »

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 05:19:12 PM »

The romanji names are just usually cooler.

Keito Uzumaki

• "Your opinion means very little to me."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 08:17:33 PM »

Well I gotta talk the talk, if I wanna walk the walk! Otherwise the whole imagination is blown out of proportion. I always liked the idea of my character spewing out those words in japanese, just to go with the whole naruto style. Because those english words just aren't intimidating enough when said. >>;

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 08:26:45 PM »

Even the dubbed anime does it. It's always Rasengan and Chidori. Never Spiraling Sphere or 1000 Birds.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 08:29:13 PM »

I like that we use them. Unknowingly to most or the other way around, knowingly to most you are essentially learning a new language. Even on a small scale if any you are still learning something new. While to some looking up the meaning can be a bit irritating I would trade that person getting irritated if they retain even a little of what they saw when they looked it up.

Even so you are on the site because you like/love Naruto which is Japanese. Meaning that even while watching the show you see a lot of Japanese influence in it. The scrolls, the food, etc. It is all in a different culture than our own. (Not saying that it does not tie in with our own) Just different.

Why we use them is to blend in with what we are rp'ing. To me it's purely for aesthetic. I like the way kanji looks. However I use both the kanji and the translated form of it in romaji.

土遁・剛隷武の術 [Doton: Gōremu no Jutsu] (With color codes of course)

Like so. Cause it's Naruto and I like the look. With my rp that I would put after it you should be able to figure out at least what it is. After I would say the golem made of rock would move and so on.

We like to blend in with the Naruto culture it uses.
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 08:39:34 PM »

Though not everyone is as big of a weeb as this guy. ^

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 08:42:48 PM »

Though not everyone is as big of a weeb as this guy. ^

Nah. I just like to learn new things.
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Warren

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 10:32:27 PM »

Alternating depending on context/mood works best for me, brings a bit of variety too when one doesn't have to see the same thing all the damn time. I never really use both at once though, and if something's so potentially confusing then I just PM the people involved to make sure they get it.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 11:08:05 PM »

I used to use both as a sort of backing that I didn't just create something out of thin air. Creating custom techniques with their own kanji (as correct as you can get 'em also) takes a little bit of work, and really makes you think about what your custom technique is actually doing in a sense. It also, again, makes it less likely that you completely pulled it out of your ass.

Of course nowadays with so many kanji options and the long delays between postings, it's turned more into a habit/aesthetic thing than a bs checker.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Garō, Ichirou

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 12:51:53 AM »

It's got to the point now where i've started memorizing Romanji names of certain jutsu and stuff lol, I just like the language and the Romanji names are usually cooler sounding than the English names, I do it for me, and provide the english translations for ease of searching what the jutsu does for people who don't already know

Rinn

• Sharingan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 05:10:59 AM »

It's got to the point now where i've started memorizing Romanji names of certain jutsu and stuff lol, I just like the language and the Romanji names are usually cooler sounding than the English names, I do it for me, and provide the english translations for ease of searching what the jutsu does for people who don't already know

I use english translated technique names just to make them easier to look-up on the Narutopedia/ in-game wikia. That's the only reason that I do.

Mei

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 09:01:29 AM »

There's no real advantage between using the romanji or the english name.
Either way your opponent is going to describe what the move does anyway.
Even if your opponent gives it to you in English, you will still look up in Naruto Wikia regardless. >.>

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.