Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please report outages in the thread "messages/server outages", Thanks.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: A little sound play.  (Read 7672 times)

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
Re: A little sound play.
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2015, 03:41:25 PM »

One thing I've always wondered is how some people claim to have superhuman hearing as a passive trait, but also have immune/resistance to ototon techniques/general loud noises.

Should be like Kiba's weakness to Naruto in the chunin exams.

How can people claim to be able to walk, but also be able to run. D:

That's not comparable. Having super hearing should actually make the target more susceptible to sound based techniques period, Ototon or otherwise.

I like to be sarcastic from time to time. You know this or at least you do now. :P

Anywho more science coming at chu! *pewpew*

We receive sounds, passes through our ear canals, vibrates our ear drums and then reaches this snail shape thing filled with fluid, the fluid does a dance and makes hair cells floating on the top cause a chemical reaction that turns it into an electrical signal that sends it to our brain via nerve.

If you want an explanation of how. Here it is...we have naturally more 'durable' ears you could say. Most of the time in the real world (if not all the time) hearing loss is due to the cilia cells (The little hairs atop the fluid) to be damaged which they can repair themselves, but go too loud and they die.

How others define their resistance I do not know. Mine is based on a reinforced ear system that can withstand sounds of varying levels without haring loss. (Which I rp'ed) Allows me to hear all without the ear being hurt at all.

People are injecting themselves with mokuton DNA and have all that other jazz so I don't think having done this RP to myself is far fetched even so in RL they have cochlear implants which allow deaf or near deaf people to hear sounds once again by bypassing the cells they had lost.
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

UettoSenju

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2015, 04:25:22 PM »

One thing I've always wondered is how some people claim to have superhuman hearing as a passive trait, but also have immune/resistance to ototon techniques/general loud noises.

I'd say it'd be like the Namike effect. For instance The Lord Slug movie when Gohan whistled Piccilo and Lord Slug were in great pain.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2015, 08:17:05 PM »

How can people claim to be able to walk, but also be able to run. D:

That's not comparable. Having super hearing should actually make the target more susceptible to sound based techniques period, Ototon or otherwise.

... If you want an explanation of how. Here it is...we have naturally more 'durable' ears you could say. Most of the time in the real world (if not all the time) hearing loss is due to the cilia cells (The little hairs atop the fluid) to be damaged which they can repair themselves, but go too loud and they die.

How others define their resistance I do not know. Mine is based on a reinforced ear system that can withstand sounds of varying levels without haring loss. (Which I rp'ed) Allows me to hear all without the ear being hurt at all.

People are injecting themselves with mokuton DNA and have all that other jazz so I don't think having done this RP to myself is far fetched even so in RL they have cochlear implants which allow deaf or near deaf people to hear sounds once again by bypassing the cells they had lost.

Bypassing the lost cells and having an ear completely custom made to withstand incredible sounds are lightly different. I will not claim to be a sound expert but how would you protect those cilia from damage from chakra enhanced sound attacks, or even ordinary sound waves of great strength? In order to have enhanced hearing, general logic would dictate that the ear would have to be more sensitive to sounds.

That would mean that a significantly greater or lesser volume (and even outlier frequencies) of sound can generate the fluid and cilia action that causes the sense of hearing when a lesser ear would be largely unaffected, much like how a dog whistle is not heard by humans, but by dogs.

The durability of your ears can be enhanced either by replacing the cilia (durability through restoration) or by protecting the cilia from the harmful sounds to begin with (such as blocking harmful waves, which would prevent one from hearing them perfectly fine).

In a narutoverse bid of logic, this protection can be granted either by using chakra to redirect the sound, by absorbing the sound, or by channeling the sound into a space in the ear where it cannot reach the inner ear (nor be lost to another part of the body) and having special cells "register" the strength of the sound before passing this information artificially to the fluid and cilia, aforementioned cells being far more resilient than the cilia. Or some other body enhancement/KG-like thing that subconsciously regulates how much of the sound is permitted to actually hit the inner ear at one time, which would basically be an auto-regulator for sound much like how the eyes auto-regulate for different amounts of light.

So how does a more "durable" ear in Otogakure work? Does it focus on defending the inner ear from harmful sounds or does it simply have more resilient cilia? Because beyond either of those two, I'm a bit stumped on what good a more durable ear would do you, because while the ear itself would not be damaged, incredibly loud sound should still have other adverse effects on the listener, even if permanent hearing loss is not a great issue.

Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2015, 09:55:34 PM »

Because it's now my normal hearing range.

Just how humans normally can hear from 30dB to 100dB before hearing loss starts. Because our ears are adjusted to that area of sound. I just made it to where my area of sound is much much larger.

Whisper in someones ear and then increase to talking normally. It doesn't bother them one bit because the ear is made to withstand both sounds.
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2015, 03:33:48 AM »

Just how humans normally can hear from 30dB to 100dB before hearing loss starts. Because our ears are adjusted to that area of sound. I just made it to where my area of sound is much much larger.

Whisper in someones ear and then increase to talking normally. It doesn't bother them one bit because the ear is made to withstand both sounds.

But how does it become your normal hearing range? You just put chakra to your ears and bam, range increased? How are the ears adjusted to that level of sound? Is it a KG? Even in SL terms, the inexplicable rise in volume and frequency tolerance is questionable.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2015, 09:20:30 PM »

But how does it become your normal hearing range? You just put chakra to your ears and bam, range increased? How are the ears adjusted to that level of sound? Is it a KG? Even in SL terms, the inexplicable rise in volume and frequency tolerance is questionable.

Before you go and call it 'inexplicable' and 'even in SL terms is questionable' let's not forget that a lot of stuff in Naruto is far beyond questionable. I mean KG implants via DNA implant. Come on we all know that's complete BS and doesn't work like that. And dragons aren't real either yet people use them on SL.

I'm describing it to the best of my ability. I'm no sound major nor have a degree in medicine pertaining to ears and how they act.

What I did was alter the ears parts. The cochlea, spiral ganglion, and organ of Corti (located inside the cochlea) Now I cannot tell you the specific processes of how I did this because in real life it's impossible to do.

Rusaku

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2015, 12:01:53 AM »

Before you go and call it 'inexplicable' and 'even in SL terms is questionable' let's not forget that a lot of stuff in Naruto is far beyond questionable. I mean KG implants via DNA implant. Come on we all know that's complete BS and doesn't work like that. And dragons aren't real either yet people use them on SL.

I'm describing it to the best of my ability. I'm no sound major nor have a degree in medicine pertaining to ears and how they act.

What I did was alter the ears parts. The cochlea, spiral ganglion, and organ of Corti (located inside the cochlea) Now I cannot tell you the specific processes of how I did this because in real life it's impossible to do.

Well technically you could potentially splice your DNA and another's together in real life. And it makes since that once your DNA is fully merged with another's you would gain their traits in one way or another. I mean, much like you just said I am no expert in this so I could be 100% wrong here.

That is beside the point. I agree with Shadow here that sometimes you cannot explain something in Naruto with actual science. Chakra is literally just Magic that can create something out of nothing. So, Shadow's super hearing but at the same time not super hearing is fine with me. I have seen people claim more with less information. I.e 100% resistance to any element because "off screen training hax"
If you can't beat them, eat them.

-Jeffrey dahmer

Becquerel

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2015, 01:02:24 AM »

I scanned this topic, and it seems like people are talking about Ototon as methods of attack beyond what we saw in Naruto. What Becquerel has within his lab is Ototon-related, but completely mechanical. Basically, it's an LRAD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Range_Acoustic_Device
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P3FsLMKwJE

Using sound waves to cause injury go beyond dealing with just ear drums. I think it was mentioned earlier, but basically sound waves can be used to liquify someone's organs if the wavelength is intense enough.
100 push ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10km running every single day.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2015, 01:08:01 AM »

I scanned this topic, and it seems like people are talking about Ototon as methods of attack beyond what we saw in Naruto. What Becquerel has within his lab is Ototon-related, but completely mechanical. Basically, it's an LRAD.

Using sound waves to cause injury go beyond dealing with just ear drums. I think it was mentioned earlier, but basically sound waves can be used to liquify someone's organs if the wavelength is intense enough.

Have to stay within the limits though. Liquefying objects would be voided by most people it's too OP.

Rusaku

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2015, 01:20:13 AM »

Have to stay within the limits though. Liquefying objects would be voided by most people it's too OP.

Yet no one said anything about me using cicadas to liquefy people. Huh.
If you can't beat them, eat them.

-Jeffrey dahmer

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2015, 01:25:51 AM »

Yet no one said anything about me using cicadas to liquefy people. Huh.

You can do whatever you want with everyone else. If you were involved with an rp of mine then we'd talk about it. Since I barely rp anymore nor care really let those people who didn't say anything continue to rp how they wish and you continue to rp how you wish.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2015, 01:59:28 AM »

Then full body protection earbuds may be invented and we are back to square one, right?

I partially jest in saying that, but the point of the matter is, no, not everything has to be brought down to a science, but you have to recall that your ears have been modified to protect you from general Ototon damage. What is stopping someone from inventing an earbud that genuinely protects against almost all Ototon, using a special mechanism to be later specified? It's not that much of a stretch if people get creative with it.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2015, 02:03:12 AM »

Then full body protection earbuds may be invented and we are back to square one, right?

I partially jest in saying that, but the point of the matter is, no, not everything has to be brought down to a science, but you have to recall that your ears have been modified to protect you from general Ototon damage. What is stopping someone from inventing an earbud that genuinely protects against almost all Ototon, using a special mechanism to be later specified? It's not that much of a stretch if people get creative with it.

I said the earbuds were able to do such a thing. I thought all that posted here agreed on that. We then moved to how I and others claimed immunity to Ototon. I described mine to the best of my ability.

Earbuds can block Ototon and my immunity sticks. The buds protect your ears, but your body is still at risk just as much as mine is.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2015, 05:28:22 AM »

I said the earbuds were able to do such a thing. I thought all that posted here agreed on that. We then moved to how I and others claimed immunity to Ototon. I described mine to the best of my ability.

Earbuds can block Ototon and my immunity sticks. The buds protect your ears, but your body is still at risk just as much as mine is.

Full body protection earbuds =/= Ear only protection earbuds.

But I digress. As long as immunity to Ototon doesn't extend to the body due to a modification of the ears, I'm all wrapped up here.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2015, 07:42:53 AM »

Same.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 17 queries.