Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ever wondered if your ideas have been talked about in the forum already? Well, try out the "search" option, where all your questions can be answered.

Poll

Does Rank play a role in RP?

Yes
- 2 (22.2%)
Depends.
- 6 (66.7%)
Not a lot.
- 1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: How much does Rank play a role in RP?  (Read 3458 times)

Mei

• View Profile
How much does Rank play a role in RP?
« on: April 08, 2015, 04:27:33 PM »

You're roleplaying with a genin. The genin is completely new to the game, not a sitter or the like, but displays some pretty good RP skills. However, there's one problem. The genin is using skills far above his rank. How do you feel about that?

I remember in the past these things were taken seriously but I see times are changing and I want to see how much. Does Rank still play a role in RP?

Obviously we have our "Resets ≠ RP" faction, and although that may be a separate discussion, it's not completely unrelated to this. After all, one may define 'Rank' has 'hours of clicking in the forest'. >.>

Anyways, vote & post an opinion. I would like to know the general consensus on this matter is.

Masane

• View Profile
Re: How much does Rank play a role in RP?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 04:42:45 PM »

I don't really think it does, I mean it does not matter to me. Not that any of you care. >.> Anyways some people just get on to rp. I myself and a few others don't level, just rp. If said Genin was an active rper and trained on the techs he was using and actually trained his skill with that character then I don't see why his game rank would matter.

If a person does not wish to actually play the game, but rp in a Naruto verse, then it should not matter what the player's rank is. I have been a Chuunin to Amegakure for the longest time even when my player rank was around Hokage level. One might argue the if people don't want to play this game but want a naruto verse to rp in, they should seek a new site but it could also be argued that this is sadly the best naruto rp site up at the moment.

I would like to know why it should matter. I think that actually typing out a series of training sessions over a long period of time is the equivalent to spending time in the forest. 

When you smell like you can do anything, there is nothing you smell like you can't do.

Rusaku

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 08:00:39 PM »

Reset over Rp would only apply here if they actually took the time to RP anything. If they just joined the game 45 minutes ago then they can seriously suck the thickest part of my thumb.

Nine times out of ten if I don't feel you have earned the things you claimed, then you cannot have them in an RP with me. It's not fair to the people who took the time to Rp out everything they have or spammed the forest for however many days/months it took them to get to where they are.
If you can't beat them, eat them.

-Jeffrey dahmer

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 01:23:15 AM »

Reset over Rp would only apply here if they actually took the time to RP anything. If they just joined the game 45 minutes ago then they can seriously suck the thickest part of my thumb.

Nine times out of ten if I don't feel you have earned the things you claimed, then you cannot have them in an RP with me. It's not fair to the people who took the time to Rp out everything they have or spammed the forest for however many days/months it took them to get to where they are.

I second this, except the thumb part.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Teostra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 02:06:55 AM »

What about those people who make alts (with literal ALT) in their name and start RPing on the level of the real account? I never really understood that whole thing. Or do you give them a pass because you know who they really are?

Most SL RPers these days - http://postimg.org/image/o2621ldd9/

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 03:09:33 AM »

What about those people who make alts (with literal ALT) in their name and start RPing on the level of the real account? I never really understood that whole thing. Or do you give them a pass because you know who they really are?

Kirk, is the exception, because we, or at least I, presume that it is indeed Kirk and already have such acknowledgement of his RP worth and skills that some of us, or at least I, give him a pass to a certain extent. If I had to fight him then I might put up more of a fuss, but even then, you wouldn't see many who have been around complain about Kirk using his skills. Granted, it would confuse the fudge out of newcomers.

I prefer that people RP what they get. But I too find it annoying to see the new player be stronger in skills I have worked 8 years to obtain.

I do not feel that foresting should be the gauge. I fail to see what button pushing has to do with RP. In the past it was the way to measure how much you had earned. but I can go out and buy a reset account and still not earn a thing. So that fails miserably in my book.

Because when you're zoning the wiki guidelines on zoning suggests very explicitly that you should not use anything that you do not have in-game (I.E, the button pushing that was the original point of the game). Obviously "enforcement" is left up to the people you zone/RP with, but the "forest fights = RP abilities" thing did not just pop up out of left field one day and smack first base. That is what "button pushing" had and still has to do with RP within the button pushing game.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 03:13:00 AM by Eric »
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Mei

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 03:54:44 AM »

I do not feel that foresting should be the gauge. I fail to see what button pushing has to do with RP. In the past it was the way to measure how much you had earned. but I can go out and buy a reset account and still not earn a thing. So that fails miserably in my book.

I can understand that but I feel we need some type of measurement tool. I feel some disputes happen because we lack such a thing. We cannot measure speed, strength, chakra, etc., so the DKs, KGs & and this stat system may give us an estimate of such.
If both opponent aim for each other necks, who/what decides who reaches the other first? >.>
If SL RP can be like D&D, there can be no disputes.

Because when you're zoning the wiki guidelines on zoning suggests very explicitly that you should not use anything that you do not have in-game (I.E, the button pushing that was the original point of the game). Obviously "enforcement" is left up to the people you zone/RP with, but the "forest fights = RP abilities" thing did not just pop up out of left field one day and smack first base. That is what "button pushing" had and still has to do with RP within the button pushing game.

That's a good point. It goes say .... Note: Using demons, curse seals of heaven, sharingan, etc that you do not have ingame, will displease many people in the zones. The best suggestion is: "Use what you think is fair for our level."

Suishou Koji

• Site Staff (Game Master)
  • Elder of Shinobi Legends
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 06:15:17 AM »

is proud to state that he's earned everything on Koji through rp.  8)
Current Raikage and Wikia Mod.

Warren

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 12:50:02 PM »

I don't particularly care whether one follows the reset or RP rules, as long as they actually follow them properly. Stuff like going around insisting others follow reset rules, while you yourself either 'loan' them all from lord knows who or just claim to have them because frack you thats why, is the epitome of lameness.

Also I'm fairly sure the forest specialty hyouton refers to the movie type, creating ice out of already existing water, whereas the hyouton KG is the actual yuki KG itself.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 01:44:53 PM »

Well having the ingame perks is no longer seen as valid Eric. You got people claiming the SST and trying to bar others from using it. You got folks who own the Rasengan now in RP and that also is a game perk.

And what of Hyouton? That is one of the base elements, and also a reset KG. Who gets it? The 10 DK account who can use his points to have that as an element of only the person who resets? OR...do you have to be a Yuki in RP?

DnD does exclude a lot of these issues because you got dice and a character sheet that sets it all out there for you. The dice are no problem. See the paid zones on SL. But the character sheets are another matter. How many hit points do I get for being a chuunin and how many chakra points?
and what does each jutsu cost? How long a cool down. and on and on.

There is a Naruto d6 system out there. I prefer the White Wolf system as it is much more flexible but...

Sounds like an RP forum to me. And...I love those but this is not that.

The people who are trying to bar folks from having SST, rasengan, etc. are in the wrong then if (and only if) they claim legitimacy via in-game resets. Otherwise, if they feel RP should dictate everything, that is a different story. As I said, how it's enforced depends on who you zone/RP with.
People don't see having in-game stuff as "valid" anymore in part becuase people have been preaching so long, "in-game means nothing, it has nothing to do with RP, especially since you can just buy accounts". Most people tend to be mixed about what makes you legit and not, but when people bar in-game stuff from being considered valid, that is PURELY from the crowd that wants RP to play the significant role in powering up the character. 

For those of us who don't know how to get rasengan and don't wanna be told howw, the thing is elusive. Anyone who wants to discredit something that I actually obtained in-game (either with hard cash, DP, or manually doing it myself) had best not expect me to RP with them, period.

And what Warren said about the Hyouton thing. The two are distinctly different ice releases.

Keito Uzumaki

• "Your opinion means very little to me."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 04:05:58 AM »

Just hopping the wagon.
In regards to actual SL account rank. Personally, I've paid my dues with the forest and have leveled and bought numerous accounts high and low; so the actual account rank really meant nothing to me on that standard. You won't see me button mashing anymore, anytime. But I take it that people RP how they seem fit in any aspect. Most new players always started out with limitations and restrictions in regards to KG, multiple nature types, and other things of the like. Eventually once they've interacted with people, their characters would continue to grow and gain those previous restricted abilities. It didn't have to be a long transition, but it definitely helped them integrate into the SL community. I know it did when I first started and my characters are still growing as they age. I've seen genin with better RP skill than those whom claim kage-status powers and whatever.

I've been told countless times that SL was never intended for proper RP, as it was never created for such purpose. Essentially, we the people playing the game, brought RP to the site as we see today. We all pretty much RP how we like in a way to interact with other people in the same manner. There aren't appointed NPC's whom role play with us, set up by SL staff without request. We do not abide by canon but reference it for our justifications, let alone have even created a concept of 'claimed lists' and yadda yadda. There is no juicy story line of our history its all made up from our minds. In order to start actually caring about that stuff, I feel like as a community we should care about our RP as a whole. Not like some sort of US Government; invasion of all privacy and forbidding all their needs, but an organized method of carrying out RP. I feel like the implication alone is scary to you all, as if someone is going to butt into what your doing and say that its not 'fair'. When that simply goes on today. Just a way, we as a community can understand how our RP is carried out, so there aren't so many massive disputes. That's just my thought though. Maybe with village appointed GM's we can carry out some NPC roles that allow newer players to interact with, in order to help them improve RP as well as carryout RP for them. Because most people don't even know what to RP, unless they are offered an idea i.e mission or they just end up trying to fight and kill everyone to prove some sort of 'honor' if its even that; which ends up in forum arguments that just waste our typing time that could have gone to RP.

TL;DR I owe SL for teaching me how to button mash, epicly. As well as how evil of a person I am for always choosing the option, to kick the rat.

Teostra

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 06:19:56 AM »

I really agree with you, Keito. It's too bad a lot of RP just boils down to some people RPing by themselves to gain power or just someone picking fights with people. There's some good stuff going on right now in some of the cities that involves a whole bunch of people. That's something I really like because we didn't have that kind of stuff (or at least organized :P) back in the day.
Only problem I see with events like that is that whoever's GMing it needs to set time limits for rotations. So if you don't post in the limit, you get skipped and the action hits you (if something going to hit you, that is >_>).
And as for GMs, we need more and a lot of them. But like I said in a previous topic, I too believe that GMs should be appointed for different areas and only have unlimited access to the zones. Also, I think that if someone is appointed a GM, they need to keep on top of things and make things interesting.

But back on topic. Back in the olden days of SL, people used to RP whatever they wanted to RP and it was generally accepted. People didn't care when people turned into monsters or used things that weren't canon to the naruto-verse (I remember someone who was basically Hiei from Yu-Yu Hakusho and someone else who used a Devil Fruit from One Piece. I did too, but I retconned that <_<). And there was no such things as claiming. But back then, rank and reputation also kind of equaled RP.
It's hard to measure things in our RP world too. Is there any difference between someone who just starts the game and starts claiming everything but the kitchen sink and someone who buys a fully decked out reset account claiming the same thing? Is it a kind of discrimination that's basically "I've been here longer so no matter what I'm better than you in every way?" Is it a glass ceiling that constantly gets higher the closer you get to it for the newbies? Or do you just let them have what they claim?

And people also need to get along. We're part of the community that keeps this place going. I know lots of people don't go on the forum, but those that do have mostly been with it for the long haul. If everyone keeps slinging mud at everyone, eventually this place will devolve into one single RP post and everyone complaining about it via PMs. What happened to just going with the flow like we used to back in the day?

Most SL RPers these days - http://postimg.org/image/o2621ldd9/

Keito Uzumaki

• "Your opinion means very little to me."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 06:51:28 AM »

I dunno I lost hope when this became an acceptable maneuver to meta game ridiculously: Broc Coli was a sensor so he knew what was coming, this caused him to react quickly. (was actually copied and pasted from a zone, name substituted)

Recently, my RP's have involved less and less the actual combat between each other as SL characters and involving more NPC's and story line to the mix. I enjoy it very much, lets me RP things that aren't just basic combat and the villains being NPC's makes it easier for people to slay them without arguments! Let alone I get to dictate what goes on with these NPC's and how they interact, allowing me to pan out a more vivid scene. Besides I get to narrate epic scenes, where the 'hero' takes a beating but also returns an even heavier beating to the opposers.

Instead of the usual; I'm gonna tank everything and dodge everything, then lash out every powerful technique I have in a series one after the other with no interruptions, which means you'd be dead because I'm the fastest of them all AND I have the sharingan so I can see everything and anything you are thinking of doing. Good luck and lets start the chaos!
Yeaa......not sorry if that form of RP isn't pleasing to me anymore. Especially, if you have to berate me OOCly to try and justify or make your point IC.

Kage

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 03:13:08 AM »

Nobody likes to be told what they can't roll with, and why they can't roll with it.

After putting that out there, let's get down to what "standards" we go by.
- KG resets and in-game achievements
- Pure RP
- "Veteran-ship" or "I've been here longer than you"
- Text-power

KG resets seem to be going down in popularity as a standard, while RP and veteran-ship are starting to rise up more. But I think the main issue that needs to be addressed is that people are starting to power-level their characters, text-wise, to being the strongest. Like, somebody can say that they have the Black Sharingan that can nullify any genjutsu and make people cast genjutsu on themselves. All of a sudden, they have and go with it. But the problem they're going to run into, is when people say that it's either stupid or outright just void it before or mid-RP.

But here's what I run in my village and land:
- I moderate/say what goes

So what do I say what goes? Basically I'll take what people say what they can do as fact, up to a certain point. I do actively moderate what goes on in my village, and there have been only a few instances where I'll question someone about what they're doing or what they claim. I try to use reason, and most of the time they'll be rational. Keito was pretty cool in handling those rules when it came to attacking the village and then successfully fleeing.

But who gives me the power to do all this? Everybody. <- (Fun fact: That's actually how Hitler came into power.)

Suishou Koji

• Elder of Shinobi Legends
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 09:36:48 PM »

Nobody likes to be told what they can't roll with, and why they can't roll with it.

After putting that out there, let's get down to what "standards" we go by.
- KG resets and in-game achievements
- Pure RP
- "Veteran-ship" or "I've been here longer than you"
- Text-power

KG resets seem to be going down in popularity as a standard, while RP and veteran-ship are starting to rise up more. But I think the main issue that needs to be addressed is that people are starting to power-level their characters, text-wise, to being the strongest. Like, somebody can say that they have the Black Sharingan that can nullify any genjutsu and make people cast genjutsu on themselves. All of a sudden, they have and go with it. But the problem they're going to run into, is when people say that it's either stupid or outright just void it before or mid-RP.

But here's what I run in my village and land:
- I moderate/say what goes

So what do I say what goes? Basically I'll take what people say what they can do as fact, up to a certain point. I do actively moderate what goes on in my village, and there have been only a few instances where I'll question someone about what they're doing or what they claim. I try to use reason, and most of the time they'll be rational. Keito was pretty cool in handling those rules when it came to attacking the village and then successfully fleeing.

But who gives me the power to do all this? Everybody. <- (Fun fact: That's actually how Hitler came into power.)
Very well said, Kage.
Current Raikage and Wikia Mod.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 23 queries.