Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please report outages in the thread "messages/server outages", Thanks.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Hyperbolic Time Chamber  (Read 6329 times)

Mei

• View Profile
Hyperbolic Time Chamber
« on: August 31, 2015, 09:05:06 PM »

Forgive me if something like this has been discussed already.

Hyperbolic Time Chamber is a place where you can enter any amount of turns to fight creatures at the same level (or preferably one level above your current level aka Thrillseeking monsters) for X amount times, where X is the amount of turns you entered. It would act the same way as in the forest. If you get a flawless hit, it will add 1 turn or if that's problematic, you can receive double exp instead. There should also be a cost (and a DK requirement) to using the Hyperbolic Time Chamber as well.

Now for drawbacks. Obviously you will not encounter any special events (for some, that may be a plus).
You can die in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber and in doing so, lose 20% exp. I was thinking if you're poisoned in one of the fights, the poison will carry over to the next fight like in the regular forest. Buffs are allowed and expires as usual. However, you will not gain money/gems from this.

To be fair, let's say after every 5 (or so) fights, you're fully healed and money is subtracted for the cost. If you don't have enough money for the full heal, it will heal up to certain amount that equals to the amount of money available.

So in the end, you need money to use the process and to insure your survival.

I think the title is appropriate because you're going through (at least) X amount of forest fight simulations in seconds. The purpose of this feature is to use up your turns quickly if you don't have time to go through them naturally. But of course, you're welcome to change the title to something else if you dont want a DBZ reference in a Naruto site. >.>

So best case scenario, you'll survive the simulations and gain a hefty amount of exp.
Worst case scenario, you'll die and lose 20% exp.
In either case, you will lose money in the end and gain nothing but exp.

Thoughts?

Hades

• View Profile
Re: Hyperbolic Time Chamber
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 11:15:16 PM »

It's interesting an interesting idea for speeding up the forest fight process, but if something like this doesn't already exist for other LotGD sites, then I would guess it would be a whole new module to code from the ground up.

I think it might be (relatively) easier, and I think appeal to more people, if we could streamline the forest fight environment by means of customization.

For example, I think it would be really nice if we could map our own hotkeys so that we can implement the commands we want to use without risking hitting the wrong one because it changed when we weren't paying enough attention to the changing elements of our navigation panel.

Sometimes the constant pile-up of items (other than mount feed/sell-able goods) becomes bothersome. Maybe it would be nice if we could deactivate all those other items.

Maybe if people don't like special events it would be nice if we could deactivate those, or -- crazy nice -- we could pick and choose which ones we'd like to be able to encounter.

It might also be nice if we had an easier way to heal. The traveling nin removes the need to go to Sakura for healing yourself, but for anything else we have to go to Sakura and then select individuals. Maybe some kind of party-healing option?

I have nightmarish visions of Oliver slaving to code a new module like you suggest, only to have people get upset when foregoing their regular forest ventures in lieu of this chamber method causes them to lose out (on gold or turns, depending on which way it goes).

Alternatively, I think maybe if the users had more control of their forest environment so they can make the controls suit their style, it might require less work from Oliver and in turn appeal to more of the community at large.

Mei

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 12:37:55 AM »

Actually I don't think this module would be difficult at all. I assume every computer language has things such as if and loop statements. This is basically a loop (or a series of loops) and 'if' statements. I took C++ so I can imagine in my head how this can be set up. But forgive me if something like this, actually cannot be done. o.o

Some of the things you impose are some good ideas as well and I'm sure some people have mentioned some of those. For example your own hotkey is a cool idea but I notice we can arrange the hotkeys in alphabetically order yet at this point we cannot assign our own hotkeys. Does that mean it's not possible to do? o.o

In regards to the easier way to heal, it would be even easier if there was an option where we auto-heal ourselves at the end of every fight (with the money being auto-deducted). It would remove the need to go to Sakura or anybody else for that matter.

And I'm not removing the option to do turns naturally. This is a place (aka a 'shop') that can be located in a village or in the forest (like 'The Outhouse').

I would think it would be harder to include all those customization ideas than to implement my idea. >.>
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 12:41:04 AM by Mei »

Eric

• Roleplay Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 01:16:42 AM »

Sounds like you are trying to put levelers out of business. Or make their jobs easier one.  :P

Wouldn't it be easier just to add a place where, for a certain number of turns (or something else), you can trade them in to fight higher caliber enemies that produce greater XP rewards than usual? Granted, that would cheapen the Event monsters that only grant you XP, but said Event Monsters that onlly grant XP could be the first additions to this place, with slightly nerfed XP rewards.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Hades

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 02:12:38 AM »

Sorry, the application of the term "difficult" was vague. I wasn't saying it isn't possible to create a module that does this, only that it might be quite a time-consuming undertaking for Oliver.

I guess I can't speak for whether creating such a module and adding it would be more or less difficult than adding greater customization to the existing forest paradigm. I guess my inclination is simply that while yes, I'd like some things to be a bit more stream-lined (I don't know about "easier", Eric) I'd still prefer to be taking it one turn at a time.

I like your idea of having a healing option that automatically charges us for it.

Mei

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 02:36:02 AM »

Sounds like you are trying to put levelers out of business. Or make their jobs easier one.  :P

Ha! Maybe both. xD

Wouldn't it be easier just to add a place where, for a certain number of turns (or something else), you can trade them in to fight higher caliber enemies that produce greater XP rewards than usual? Granted, that would cheapen the Event monsters that only grant you XP, but said Event Monsters that onlly grant XP could be the first additions to this place, with slightly nerfed XP rewards.

Mmm...in a sense that sounds like monster-version of the Battle Arena in which you can earn exp.
I want to find a quicker way to finish my turns, not a quicker way to get rid of them. >.>

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 03:16:48 AM »

Ha! Maybe both. xD

Mmm...in a sense that sounds like monster-version of the Battle Arena in which you can earn exp.
I want to find a quicker way to finish my turns, not a quicker way to get rid of them. >.>

*cough* bots *cough*

To be honest I do not fully see the distinction between "get rid of" and "finish" SL turns. Cause frankly, when you get kind of lazy like me and stop leveling for a bit, they kind of just sit there and get used for travelling back and forth between villages (if necessary) or simply being reset at the bottom of the gumbo pot.

Even if I were actively using up my turns, I would still see the two phrases as pretty similar since, honestly 50+ turns is a pain in the butt to get through one at a time 2-3 times a week.

But I'm also kind of lazy when it comes to turns burning. Blame it on the custom techs or just plain laziness.  :cry:
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Warren

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 12:22:12 PM »

Not really seeing the point of the chamber thing. You already can spam the crap out of H if you want to get rid of turns quick, or alternatively E, 1 a few times and C if you're above 50 kills. On one hand you can say it makes things easier for those without time, on the other hand you can ask whats the point of leveling at all after that if you just get handed everything on a silver platter.

Also I thought the ability to remap hotkeys was already added in a while ago by Neji.

As for items, just spam them on low level fights, die a few times, or go forge better stuff at kiri. The kiri items in particular are actually some good shit, healing ones in particular.

You can already simply walk away from just about every event too, except perhaps moderator cave, hanzaki and anbu, and even two outta those three can be prevented; just go to kiri for hanzaki, go to a village of your alignment for anbu.

Forest quick heal fixing up your companions too I actually would like to see, but I dunno if there's a way to code it to work in the same manner as the individual thing just affecting all, instead of it refreshing them all to be as if summoned again at full health at your current stats which would both not just mess up their order but be rather OP too.

Mei

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 06:44:34 PM »

To be honest I do not fully see the distinction between "get rid of" and "finish" SL turns. Cause frankly, when you get kind of lazy like me and stop leveling for a bit, they kind of just sit there and get used for travelling back and forth between villages (if necessary) or simply being reset at the bottom of the gumbo pot.

Getting rid of your turns is throwing them away without caring much about what you get into or getting less than what you would expect.

It's like that shop where you dump your turns in hopes for some extra pvps.

Not really seeing the point of the chamber thing. You already can spam the crap out of H if you want to get rid of turns quick, or alternatively E, 1 a few times and C if you're above 50 kills. On one hand you can say it makes things easier for those without time, on the other hand you can ask whats the point of leveling at all after that if you just get handed everything on a silver platter.

That's only true if you don't encounter events.
Spamming 'E' may get you to accidentally enter Oro's castle and that's a 'drag' to get through, assuming you can make it out alive. >.>

I just want a nice, easy way to get through of my turns and receive a fair amount of experience for them. >.>

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 07:09:53 PM »

This won't happen. :P It'd kill the purpose of a forest if something did it for you automatically.
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Mei

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 07:22:19 PM »

This won't happen. :P It'd kill the purpose of a forest if something did it for you automatically.

....that's a good point.
Maybe it can be available at high dks like 100 or so. >.>

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 07:28:34 PM »

....that's a good point.
Maybe it can be available at high dks like 100 or so. >.>

Doubt it. We've had earlier topics about changing a simple hotkey and so on. >> KG already make it super easy. I mean cool idea and I'm not Neji, but just based on history.
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Neji

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 04:35:41 PM »

I had something similar up for a while: Kyuubi fight (who had fixed stats) which was an optional "boss" for you.

The technical issues for fighting "like in the forest, but differently" a few actually. So I might have to tweak a few more screws for that.

In general, not a bad thing, just two thoughts to consider (about balance):
a) forest enemies are based on level and have dynamic stats; some also have scripts
b) where do you earn more xp more easily? if you need harder enemies, the forest currently has that option
c) do you use both to level? or get gold?

To make it happen we'd need a concept of why people should use that.
If it replaces the forest, it's not a great addition.
Never judge a cow by its udder.

Warren

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 04:59:19 PM »

Me thinks it'd be cooler to see the kyuubi boss come back, rather than the time chamber.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 10:14:45 PM »

I'd love a kyuubi boss!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.