Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please petition corrupted/Badnavs in game, nothing can be done from the forums.

Author Topic: What is and isn't retro-posting?  (Read 2101 times)

Becquerel

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
What is and isn't retro-posting?
« on: September 08, 2015, 06:35:49 AM »

Well, because of that other topic (you know the one I'm talking about), I got to thinking what would be and what wouldn't be retro-posting. The example I posted was similar to as follows.
Ninja1 tosses two small, bladed disks at his opponent.
Ninja2 dodges the disks.
Ninja1: As the disks miss the opponent and get lodged in the tree behind him, they let out a quick beep before exploding. They weren't just regular bladed disks, they were also proximity mines packed with explosives.

Now, would that be considered retro-posting? Would it be wrong to post that disks embedded themselves in the trees? I know it would be if you were fighting in a desert plain, but if you were in a wooded area is it wrong to say there'd be a tree there? Because I think that a lot of people here pay attention to the little details of the posts, but forget about the settings and world around them. There's also a problem when it comes to hand-to-hand, but that's another topic lol

Here's another personal example, broken down to the key points.
Ninja1 created a cloud to hide himself in.
Becquerel dove into the cloud with intention to jump right through it and hopefully tackle his opponent.
Ninja1: The cloud was actually full of iron flakes that were imbued in a magnetic jutsu that would cause any subsequent jutsu to be unavoidable by Becquerel.

I had no problem with that at all, honestly. I expected the cloud to not to just be a cloud, but took that risk. And the RP was able to continue happily without issue. That's just a personal example.

What's the point of being a sneaky ninja if you tell your opponent everything you're going to do? If you post that you're throwing bombs (even though they're disguised), then that just means that you opponent WILL dodge accordingly instead of just possibly dodging in the least effort possible. If you lay all your plans out on a platter for the opponent, then shouldn't whoever posts first be the pre-determined loser if that were the case?

I just want to have a nice discussion on what is or isn't considered retro-posting. Please, no mud-slinging even if someone brings up an example involving you. And if you bring up examples, don't name names. That's just instigating trouble.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 06:42:29 AM by Becquerel »
100 push ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10km running every single day.

UettoSenju

• View Profile
Re: What is and isn't retro-posting?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 06:42:47 AM »

Retro posting really just throws off the flow of time in the rp. For example if something was accepted by all parties last posting round and someone tried to change it the next round.

It is like going back in time to change something already written in time to benefit yourself. Our posting to far into the future to aid yourself in reaching your goal.

Keito Uzumaki

• "Your opinion means very little to me."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 06:49:51 AM »

Taking advantage of something that wasn't necessarily implied but beneficial towards your advantage in the future and using it to kinda 'go back' to help you out for the better. A prime example would be changing your characters reaction of his prior actions based off of the opponents reaction and going against what was originally and intentionally planned.

Kage

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 06:50:19 AM »

Well that would depend on whether or not you have elaborated on what the disks do elsewhere. If they're expanded upon elsewhere, like on the profile wiki, that they're clearly proximity mines or whatever, then you could probably get away with having their purpose concealed like that. That's because they're a custom and specific item though.

I'll post two shuriken examples here to further elaborate on it.

Good example.
Kage spawns two shuriken, one in each hand. His palm would mark them with an Explosive Seal on each. They would then be thrown.
Opponent dodges shuriken.
Kage makes shuriken explode via the Explosive seals on them.

Bad example.
Kage spawns two shuriken, one in each hand. They would then be thrown.
Kage makes shuriken explode via the Explosive Seals that were on them.

Because shuriken are a common item, they're expected to come as is unless specified. The bad example can have my post of the shuriken exploding voided, due to retro-posting. But here's a conundrum that occurs below.

Kage spawns two shuriken, one in each hand. They would then be thrown.
Kage makes shuriken explode via the Explosive Seals that were on them.
Opponent is pushed by the explosion.

Even though the exploding shuriken is a retro-post, if the opponent has accepted it and played it out, then it happens. It's still a retro-post, but it's been played. Or at least that's how we play it out here.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 06:52:39 AM »

When my character Shima Umioso was testing to see if she was good enough to be one of the SSM...

Zenaku observed the fight and made a suggestion to me. It was one I had pulled before in other instances, so I had it in my kit of tools. It was great for the situation and I did not ask him for help. But he just out of the blue, Hey Kay you oughta blah blah blah.

I could not get it out of my head then. This was a test. It had to be ALL ME. to see if I was good enough, not my bevy of supporters.

I disqualified myself. And went on to take the exam later and was moved on to stage two where she fought Kotetsu and was placed in the bloody seat, of the 7th slot.

this is a very similar situation.

If you put in the post...I threw a kunai...it looked like any other kunai but in fact was a bomb....how do you get the image out of your head that you better not just strike it away with a sword cause it is gonna go off on you? How do you not metagame now?

I think this is a very tricky subject. You should not have to give details of the world around you from a grid map that is predetermined before you enter a match/combat scenario either.

I think we just have to seriously try and get back to some semblance of the reasonable post.

but what is reasonable? I would not call the hidden bomb a retro-post. I would not say that it had to be revealed either. But that is a very small and minor old school trick. A person needs to be wary. But I should not have to tell you...ok now...these are the cards in my hand and the order that I will play them in, either.

Retroposting is undoing an event...or placing another eveny prior to that you have already done. To the point of the ridiculous no way wait a minute.

This is not...I slice at your head but you kick at my gut. So my next move is to change direction of my sword to catch the leg instead.

This would be....

I throw a water jutsu at you...
you sling lightning at me....
oh before I released my water jet I had a wind armor activated to counter the lighting...

What? when? where? since when?

since I went back and inserted that into the rp.

Murciélago/Bryantheexiled

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 06:55:38 AM »

which is why a lot of characters or people have stuff like that listed in their wiki. so people can't say well you never said you had any of that < Points to wiki> Well it's listed right there.

Becquerel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 07:00:51 AM »

But should everything be listed in the wiki? What about players who don't have wiki pages, but have their own head-canon or notes on their computers of what they know? I'd like to post more, but I gotta sleep lol I like what I've been reading so far, and believe this could be a good discussion.

But I'll read everything else when I wake up and post again then. I would also like to have a discussion on settings as well. Example, if we're in a fight and I threw a knife at the start of the fight that got lodged into a log and everyone just forgets about it. Since I remember it and pick it back up in the fight at an advantageous time, would that be retro-posting in a way?

Murciélago/Bryantheexiled

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 07:08:32 AM »

To answer your question.. No it would not.

1. If you throw an item or lose an item mid fight. it has been thrown and used... nothing is stopping you from picking it back up. Your opponent forgot about it? well that's on them but you just picked it back up.  That's like your opponent dropping his sword.. nothing is stopping you from picking it up.  Now lets say you do?
and their like well there are seals on it that prevent others from picking it up cause the'll get shocked and die....that's retro posting it's something that should have been explained when the weapon was first brought out.

An example of this is like when orchimaru used his grass cutter blade to kill the hokage. It was just left there and then BAM! >.> instant feels

2. For people that don't have a wiki... darn... that blows. Well ask your opponent via PM's that's why they are there. if you have a question ask is all i can say. I've had people ask me even though i have a wiki and ill explain it for them sometimes... sometimes ill point to the wiki.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 07:19:39 AM by Murciélago/Bryantheexiled »

Kage

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 07:12:15 AM »

But should everything be listed in the wiki? What about players who don't have wiki pages, but have their own head-canon or notes on their computers of what they know? I'd like to post more, but I gotta sleep lol I like what I've been reading so far, and believe this could be a good discussion.

But I'll read everything else when I wake up and post again then. I would also like to have a discussion on settings as well. Example, if we're in a fight and I threw a knife at the start of the fight that got lodged into a log and everyone just forgets about it. Since I remember it and pick it back up in the fight at an advantageous time, would that be retro-posting in a way?
It's always preferred to have your stuff down before you use it. It gives you credibility.

And no, that wouldn't be retro-posting. You're just going back to what has already been stated in your previous post. In fact, that's exactly what happened here in the series.

http://www.mangastream.to/naruto-chapter-707-page-9.html
http://www.mangastream.to/naruto-chapter-707-page-10.html
http://www.mangastream.to/naruto-chapter-707-page-11.html

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 07:35:09 AM »

Two minds girl at work again.

On the topic of the sword the shocks if someone else picks it up. I got one...sort of. Its a chakra leaching thing.

So...

1] I should not have to say what my sword does. Cause...it is listed on my wikia...and on my old school off site bio page...free webs or whatever i used before the wiki was crafted.
2] I should not have to put everything I own, carry on me, and can do...anywhere. Why? Who found that stuff out about me anyway? metagame much? Well...let me help you out...look up my skirt.

Custom stuff though...its nice to have it written some place to aid in legtimizing you in case of Shit storms. Yes...I did not make this up on the spot, is about all the mileage that is gonna get you though. The shit storm is coming...you bested someone somehow. Don't matter you got it written out somewhere.

And what about my secret weapons? how can I fool you into touch that damned sword if I blather all over the place about what it does? Oh? you think it is cool to play your character without metagaming?
Really? put your hand on my sword...isn't the heron mark right there cool?

Like that is ever ever ever gonna work now.

I dont' know anymore. We used to take hits and get captured and lose cause it made sense and we knew it was gonna be ok. Now you can't walk across the street cause you are gonna die and your babies get eaten or sold on the black market to whittle shoes for the elves!

The fear and final consequences needs to be taken out so our characters can makes mistakes, be vulnerable, not be up to snuff 100% OP all the time...to have fun and leave room for RP opportunities.

Mei

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 03:39:00 PM »

To answer your question.. No it would not.

1. If you throw an item or lose an item mid fight. it has been thrown and used... nothing is stopping you from picking it back up. Your opponent forgot about it? well that's on them but you just picked it back up.  That's like your opponent dropping his sword.. nothing is stopping you from picking it up.  Now lets say you do?
and their like well there are seals on it that prevent others from picking it up cause the'll get shocked and die....that's retro posting it's something that should have been explained when the weapon was first brought out.

An example of this is like when orchimaru used his grass cutter blade to kill the hokage. It was just left there and then BAM! >.> instant feels

2. For people that don't have a wiki... darn... that blows. Well ask your opponent via PM's that's why they are there. if you have a question ask is all i can say. I've had people ask me even though i have a wiki and ill explain it for them sometimes... sometimes ill point to the wiki.

Are you serious? I guess it just goes to show that no one thinks like a ninja nowadays during a fight.
Unless you're 100% sure that the weapon is ORDINARY, you should NEVER pick up an opponent's weapon. I would rather try to keep it out of reach or hide it somehow, if it's indeed a custom weapon.

If I throw a foreign object, I would expect my opponent to have the mindset to dodge it or block it appropriately.

For example, the Shadow Shuriken Technique is a move that no character has been able to see through. Not Zabuza, not Itachi, not even Pein. Now I would rather not directly say that I'm using this tech but I rather 'word' it in such a way that it gives the opponent the idea that I'm using it.

Better example would be Manipulated Shuriken Technique. Everytime an Uchiha (or anyone with Sharingan really) throws shurikens (usually the lucky number is 5 shurikens), I auto assume that they are going to follow up with this tech. The person could be nice a put some kind of 'indicator' that the shurikens are attached to wires but like I said, I would assume they are follow up with this tech.

Basically I am saying such situations don't need to explained.

Like I can understand if I made a regular smokescreen and made a shadow clone within it, I should state such because now we have chakra sensors and such. But what if I used a chakra-infused smokescreen? The person should not be able to sense my shadow clone in that. Then my shadow clone can just hide while suppressing his chakra while waiting for the right moment to strike.
This is also an auto assume for me. If there was a moment where I lost visual of the opponent, I auto assume he took the time to make a shadow clone. That's how I think. >.>

But it seems that the norm is to report 'everything' to the opponent, even though you somehow expect them to not meta-game. =/

Two minds girl at work again.

On the topic of the sword the shocks if someone else picks it up. I got one...sort of. Its a chakra leaching thing.

So...

1] I should not have to say what my sword does. Cause...it is listed on my wikia...and on my old school off site bio page...free webs or whatever i used before the wiki was crafted.
2] I should not have to put everything I own, carry on me, and can do...anywhere. Why? Who found that stuff out about me anyway? metagame much? Well...let me help you out...look up my skirt.

Custom stuff though...its nice to have it written some place to aid in legtimizing you in case of Shit storms. Yes...I did not make this up on the spot, is about all the mileage that is gonna get you though. The shit storm is coming...you bested someone somehow. Don't matter you got it written out somewhere.

And what about my secret weapons? how can I fool you into touch that damned sword if I blather all over the place about what it does? Oh? you think it is cool to play your character without metagaming?
Really? put your hand on my sword...isn't the heron mark right there cool?

Like that is ever ever ever gonna work now.

I can understand that reasoning but when I made a bio page I don't think I made it with that idea in mind. I think it was just to write about my abilities, my story, etc.

And I actually have a jutsu where I would trick the opponent into touching but apparently, I cannot use that idea because apparently no one thinks like ninjas. =/

UettoSenju

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 04:56:39 PM »

Makes an off topic post just to point out the wiki sucks.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 05:53:11 PM »

I like having a place to keep my history and such. Add cool pictures.

But I would prefer not to have to lay down everything I have and can do for the world to study. I like to have surprised available to me for use.

Becquerel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 09:33:35 PM »

It's nice to see some of the stuff people have been discussing here. But I'll say my two cents again. Personally I don't agree with having the lay out everything your weapons/objects/yourself is doing either in the post or on the wiki. Mainly because that would allow for metagaming.

Sure, let's say you're fighting someone whose character is known to be cocky and maybe your weapon has some sort of defense system. Let's say it's something simple like just a paralytic agent that would prevent that person from using that arm if they grabbed it. Maybe you've only told/demonstrated this ability to one other person or its something you've had planned for a while but never got to use. Either way, you're driving into a ****storm with whatever option you choose.

If you post what the sword is going to do upon touch, then either the player will never bother to touch it (even if his character is established as a weapon-thief) because he read the wiki. Or if he does touch it, he'll have expected the poison (because he read it) and have an antidote or something else silly. If you don't have something that defines your weapon's abilities and the character goes to touch it, he'll cry retro-posting once you activate the ability.

I try to tell as much as I can in my wiki pages, that was people won't be able to be taken off guard when I try to do something funny. But I also think that having to spill all your secrets spoils some of the fun.

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 19 queries.