Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please petition corrupted/Badnavs in game, nothing can be done from the forums.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Story Arcs  (Read 3513 times)

Becquerel

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
Story Arcs
« on: September 16, 2015, 08:09:24 PM »

Well, I'm just curious to how story arcs go around here. I remember a while back, there was a big battle that spanned Suna and Konoha. I was thinking of doing something similar starting in Oto. I think it'll be a fun thing to do and was wondering if people actually like those sorts of things. Gonna build something.
100 push ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10km running every single day.

Warren

• View Profile
Re: Story Arcs
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 08:24:54 PM »

Whether people dig it or not depends on what exactly it is, and how it goes down of course. Mine could have been better since it started dragging near the end, but people dug it since it let them work together against common foes with a bit of mystery involved, instead of devolving into arguments and shit that you so commonly see when PCs are attacking other PCs.

Continuity is basically the same thing, cause no matter how large scale you try make it, its kinda the same as if it never existed/happened if you don't successfully incorporate others into it.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 12:51:18 AM »

It also matter who does it and when it happens. Doing a massive, village-disrupting event in the middle of another stressful event, say political turmoil, is either going to invite the ire of those involved or settle the other issue more quickly and invite the relief of those involved. In the case of Warren's event branching into Konoha, it was more the former from my point of view.

Additionally, as Warren put it, how it goes down and what it is are pretty important.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Genesis

• Characters: Genesis, Synthesis, Vagabond, Yukio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 01:22:33 AM »

Warren is the only guy I've seen pull off something like that. I don't know how he does it, but he frkn does it.

Here's the thing, if you're going to do it, do it with the right people. The last one I did was with Warren way back in March in Konoha. Make sure the people in the rp CARE about the rp and character development.

Since Warren's rp was the most recent one I did, I'll use that as an example. Some people who participated in it loved it because it provided opportunity for character development, a gm to control what's going on, the constant flow, etc.

Then there were others that frkn HATED/disliked it. Why? It's because they fell more into the 'zoner' crowd, or 'we just love to fight'. I don't know how he lived, but huge props to him to dealing with that.

Also, you have to deal with the time. Make sure you get people that post fast. In Warren's rp, that started in March. When did it end? I'm pretty sure it ended late May. Why? Because people were lazy and didn't post.

As the gm, which I presume you'll be, you'll have to be ON TOP of things. Like, you gotta be on top of people, read all their posts, etc., etc.. But if you get the right crowd, it should be fun.

Becquerel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 01:43:14 AM »

I already try to do that with what's going on in Oto and the dwelling (hopefully dwellings if we get things rolling), various PMs, and zone 7 lol But I'll be sure when I do start this thing that there will be a post time limit (I'll PM everyone involved) to make sure things don't hang on people.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 05:46:19 AM »

... Then there were others that frkn HATED/disliked it. Why? It's because they fell more into the 'zoner' crowd, or 'we just love to fight'...

That generalization does not quite give the full picture of why some were so against that RP.

It's one thing to be involved in a village attack where a GM controls everything, and only allows certain stuff to work because of an understandable narutoverse hack that needs to be fleshed out as the story goes on. It's another to be involved in a village attack where a GM controls everything and absolutely nothing works on the attackers because of "lolzno, you are not ending my RP like that". A good way to piss off some of the defenders in a situation like that is to literally god-mode the thing being controlled by the GM.

The only reason the village is still not involved in that is because the attacking force decided to "let the people" go, figuratively speaking. Very little if anything done by the actual player defenders did much of a dent in stopping the damage if the GM so deemed it. A middle finger to actually trying to find a way to beat the creatures.

No matter how you fry it, by the end of the RP (I argue about 3/4 of the way) every possible avenue of attack and resistance within the power of the player defenders was tried. Genjutsu, fuinjutsu, Ninjutsu of all sorts, Taijutsu, etc. None it ultimately stopped the creatures until the GM said that enough was enough.

If it's an invasion/attack kind of RP you do have to consider the defending audience. Most SL players I have ever RPed with do not do like to feel like they are submitting to a god-mode GM against their will.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Warren

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 06:09:21 AM »

'Some' people, in other words just you and mini. Its marvelous how you're so still so salty the end all answer wasn't just blow shit up, that you're still trying to spin lies and shit on an event nobody else complained about.

And don't you fucking dare to claim you were even trying to find answers to anything, because you were openly badmouthing anyone who actually was trying to do so unlike you every step of the way, not to mention for some incomprehensible reason insisting just blowing up a building which held zero significance practically nonstop. You were so bloody obsessed with it all, that not only did you miss every single clue given even when they were staring at you right in the fact, but you didn't even try to do anything constructive due to how busy you were complaining of everything.

Oh I'm sure you're going to object and insist I'm completely wrong here too, but you know, I don't give a shit. Wanna know why? Because people were telling me they wished you two would have shut the hell up cause they were getting that sick of you.

Becquerel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 06:19:52 AM »

Hey, please, if you're going to complain about the event that occurred then please take it to personal messaging or don't do it at all. No reason to sling mud at each other just because some people might not be happy with how things went.

I appreciate the information though, Eric and I agree with you to a point. But I do have to agree with Warren on a little bit. Lets say if the enemy was a giant Rubix cube that was attacking Fakegakure. If the ninja fighting it just tried blowing it up, the GM wouldn't really be too happy that the puzzle isn't getting solved properly. It's nice to have puzzles involved in an event just so everything can't be solved with a nuke.

Kage

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 06:31:22 AM »

The upcoming Chuunin Exams is a story arc, somewhat. It's going to have a large participation by many. Four villages are participating, to be exact.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 06:35:58 AM »

Needless to be said I didn't then and still do not agree with that notion (since nobody used a literal nuke, and a figurative nuke was used only once, and that didn't even do anything!) in large part because that's just not how I was brought up to RP, GM or no GM. God-mode is god-mode no matter the intentions.

Nonetheless, I can't have a prolonged, civil discussion about it. As Warren's post gives a glimpse, it's not something that can simply be talked out between us, because it's a core RPing aspect that I already know we are never going to see eye to eye on. Never again will I willingly have him GM any RP that I am in, not without simply leaving the RP on the spot if all else fails.

It is unlikely that you will have to deal with players of this (the above) sort on a large scale as GM, but just know in making the story arcs that there is a possibility of some volatility if the RP style of the overall event and that of the individuals clash (or if the RP styling clashes at all really).

UettoSenju

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 06:50:29 AM »

I have to agree with what Eric said to a point. It was one of the main reasons I didn't join the rp event.

I'm not the kinda guy who likes for someone else to dictate how my character's role should go... A true GM completely over an event can do that.

For instance the dragon in Konoha by Naruto logic could have been beaten easy with a chakra absorption Jutsu. Sense it was made of chakra from my understandings. Dark chakra or something.
However I doubt that's how Warren wishes to have his thing taken out. This he would have probably ignored the logic behind it and posted it didn't work for blah blah reasons.

Now that's totally his choice; it's his rp. However I'm the kinda guy who does like to rp that way so I refrained from rping with him. It's nothin personal just a different view on things and ideas which is normal and acceptable.

And we didn't have to argue at all about the whole thing.

The point I'm making is this... It's your plot so rp it how you wish. There will be those who don't like it and those who do, it's only natural. We are slowed to disagree without killing each other after all. So just explain your plot and all to those taking part without spoiling it and find people who would enjoy the plot. Remember you don't have to make everyone at the site like it, that's impossible, just a select few you want to rp with. And tat way it'll be special to you and fun for your group.

Wish you the best of luck.

Ace

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 06:59:50 AM »

Guess I'll handle it then.  :evil:

Uh, no...
Mind the language, the ridiculous personal insults, and calm thyself.

UettoSenju

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 07:04:52 AM »

Guess I'll handle it then.  :evil:

Uh, no...
Mind the language, the ridiculous personal insults, and calm thyself.

Are you speaking in general or to somebody? I swear you mods confuse the hell out of me.

Warren

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 07:06:31 AM »

Me and Eric probably.

>_>;; and actually Kirk, so you don't have to try guess my thoughts again, it could in theory have worked if someone got close enough alive to try. I won't comment on how 'easy' it'd have been though, much less what'd have happened to the person to actually succeed at such. That'd be kinda the same as me claiming I could easily kill you for certain by poisoning Uetto's booze or something.

Anyway that's enough of that.

Ace

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 07:11:39 AM »

Just one person there. ;)
That person received my forum message.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.