Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ever wondered if your ideas have been talked about in the forum already? Well, try out the "search" option, where all your questions can be answered.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Proposal of the ‘Official Cannon Storyline’ Reality (OCS)  (Read 9303 times)

Genesis

• Characters: Genesis, Synthesis, Vagabond, Yukio
    • View Profile

Preamble

During the course of Shinobi Legends’ history, the site has been a source of happiness and many memories. Despite many players finding themselves wasting hours upon end in this domain, Shinobi Legends is not without faults. One of those faults being the “hands-off” approach for the roleplay side of SL from the owner of the said domain, for whatever intention. This leads many roleplayers to roleplay by their own set of rules; each individual, or group, creating their own “Rules of Roleplay”.

The Problem

While there is nothing inherently wrong with a person or party creating their own rules, altercations occur when two (or more) roleplayers, each guided by different rules, interact with each other. In the plethora of situations that have occurred throughout the history of SL, many have argued, for or against, several interpretations of each person’s “Rules of Roleplay”.

While a few of these interpretations may have prevailed over others during the years, the lack of any real enforcement has reduced the caliber of such rules to mere “suggestions”. Even when the overwhelming majority collectively agrees to a set of rules on a certain subject, the stubbornness and competitiveness of the minority, choosing not to abide by the rules proposed forth, strips the proposed rules of any true merit.

The Proposal

The following proposal seeks to fix the root of the problem by establishing a common “rules of roleplay”. Since the authors of this document cannot enforce anything in the domain of SL, The Official Cannon Storyline, (OCS from here on out), is an ‘OPT-IN’ storyline/reality. Those who choose to opt-in subjugate themselves to the fundamental principles or established precedents set by the constitution of OCS (which has to be made).

OCS, despite its pretentious name, is an alternative reality within SL. Within this reality, whoever roleplays does so by a standard; a standard that is enforced by an elected moderation staff that is appointed by the players, for the players.

Simply put, all rules are made and evaluated by the community. The sole job of the moderation staff is to enforce the rules made by the community. If there ever comes a time where a moderator’s interpretation of a rule deviates from the original intent of the rule-makers (the community), or another malicious reason, it is the duty of the community to impeach and replace the offending moderator.

While OCS is a separate reality from the ‘standard’ reality, which is the current SL, OCS does not intend to create two different worlds within the same domain. Instead, OCS seeks to mesh both realties while keeping its own core pillars intact. In the case of an OCS party interacting with another party that does not fall under OCS’ jurisdiction, the interaction will be considered non-canonical, or simply put, ‘filler’. By doing so, all roleplayers of SL can roleplay without worrying about infringing realties.

Conclusion

All principles and precedents, or rules, of OCS will not be set by this document, but rather by a Constitution set by the community of those who choose to opt in. This document is rather a proposal to create a more habitable roleplay environment wherein all can participate without worrying about the neglect of fundamental principles and established precedents.

Authored by Genesis & Rusaku

Genesis

• View Profile
Re: The Proposal of the ‘Official Cannon Storyline’ Reality (OCS)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 08:34:37 PM »

Hey! So this OCS. This thread will be used to gauge interest.

So tell us, do you like this idea? Or, maybe you don't like this idea. Would you Opt-in? Would you not opt-in? Tell us why this is good, or tell us why this sucks.

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 12:04:58 AM »

So you're making your own SL, but with blackjack and hookers

Genesis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 12:09:47 AM »

So you're making your own SL, but with blackjack and hookers

Bluntly, yeah. But we're going make it so both worlds mesh.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 12:14:55 AM »

I don't like it. It smacks of big brother in a Brave New World kind of way to me. I am not a fan of this nor of one day being relegated to 'filler' status on a site I have taken enjoyment from for 8-9 years now simply because the infighting of late has gotten to ridiculous proportions. As stated in the editing of the wikia thread...

When i first started on SL there were people who tried to prevent me from being there in Suna and complained about me using suiton. I thought it was ridiculous to permit others to dictate that I could not create a character who could find water in the desert to use, especially in Suna which could not exist without a source of water beneath it. And so years of RP sprang from my refusal to be dictated to. Kay found water in the desert and many have rp'd there in the cavern and at its lake. RP stemming from the ancient civilization of the Al-Kahtar continues to this day.

My point is this, when you restrict others you shut the door on creativity based on the narrow view of a few people while others may find it quite suitable and derive years of pleasure from those who said yes, why not? Let's do it!

Additionally, I scoff at the notion of a majority every time it is used here on the forum. May I remind you all once again, we are the minority that the majority shuns participating in our 'discussions' here due to lack of interest in what we say, how we say it, and generally what we think. I presume this is based on a feeling of independence and freedom from oppression. And certainly from a lack of desire in being ridiculed and treated like trash. And perhaps this offends and seems inflammatory? Well I actually saw it suggested that people who have not been vocal here should crawl back under whatever rock it was they peeked out from and continue to stay silent.

Were something like this to happen? I would say that not one person who has been consistently vocal on the forum would be deserving of such a position of responsibility due to having had a hand in creating such a horrible rep for the forum discussions. The popular vote does not work when it comes to aptitude and competence for a particular job. I think our presidential elections should have drilled that fact into our heads by now.

I truly believe if you wish to nail the coffin shut on SL that this OCS and future constitution would be a great first step.

Becquerel

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 12:16:42 AM »

I think I heard about something else that tried this as a separate forum but I heard all it did was ostracize a lot of players. I feel let people do whatever they want, and that's what I'll try to do when I interact with people :) If something happens that I don't like or agree with, I'll ask them personally.
100 push ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10km running every single day.

Rusaku

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 12:37:01 AM »

The intention of this is so we can have an actual set of rules that people cannot argue, or claim are simple suggestions. We are not trying to exclude anyone from RP, in any facet. The "Filler" Label is using terminology that people are familiar with, and can easily understand when used in such context.

An example might be of use here.

Yujo and Kage with their 8 tails debacle. If say Kage were to join the Cannon, and Yujo did not, we would still accept Yujo as having a version of the beast. Though, instead of recognizing it as a legitimate beast, we look at is as a knock off.

What i mean by that is Yujo can still use his version of the beast in our RP, but we will rationalize it as a pseudo beast, and the entire RP will be looked at as "Optional" To include in our characters story. Much like how Utakata's interaction with Naruto was a filler storyline, yet in the cannon amine they addressed their previous meeting as if it actually happened.

We do not wish to exclude anyone from being able to RP here.
If you can't beat them, eat them.

-Jeffrey dahmer

Becquerel

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 12:47:35 AM »

Well, in that respect it sounds better. So basically instead of the "it's my way or the highway" I heard the last thing was about, this would be more like, "It's our way or you can take this detour"?
Though, most of these issues that we seem to have revolve around Bijuu, and how about we just not beat about the bush about it?
Why not we do what we have now with the bijuu system we're using for the 'official' bijuu list. But, if someone else wants one they could just have a psuedo-bijuu? Heck, I've RP'd just fine with an Academy Student that said they escaped from Orochimaru but had a fake bijuu implanted in him (wasn't there an anime filler with that plot?).
But yeah, if some people want to have a 'canon' SL story, I don't mind. Maybe I'll join, maybe I wont. And if we'll have a 'cannon' story, I'll be sure to overpower everyone with a 10,000 gun volley lol
100 push ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10km running every single day.

Genesis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 12:53:41 AM »

Well, in that respect it sounds better. So basically instead of the "it's my way or the highway" I heard the last thing was about, this would be more like, "It's our way or you can take this detour"?
Though, most of these issues that we seem to have revolve around Bijuu, and how about we just not beat about the bush about it?
Why not we do what we have now with the bijuu system we're using for the 'official' bijuu list. But, if someone else wants one they could just have a psuedo-bijuu? Heck, I've RP'd just fine with an Academy Student that said they escaped from Orochimaru but had a fake bijuu implanted in him (wasn't there an anime filler with that plot?).
But yeah, if some people want to have a 'canon' SL story, I don't mind. Maybe I'll join, maybe I wont. And if we'll have a 'cannon' story, I'll be sure to overpower everyone with a 10,000 gun volley lol

We don't want the mods to be police snooping over the place and cracking down on stuff that are against the rules. That's not what this is.

The mods will only act when a player brings an issue to a mod, or that's how I see it. We didn't even make the rules yet,  my intention to make this very unobtrusive.

Basically, we just want some frkn rules man. There's no order in this current chaos.

Snap

• "I'll take my clothes off, just for you. <3"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 01:03:24 AM »

we just want some frkn rules man. There's no order in this current chaos.

Good luck trying to convince people to abide of you guys' rules.

Genesis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 01:08:37 AM »

we just want some frkn rules man. There's no order in this current chaos.

Good luck trying to convince people to abide of you guys' rules.

It's Opt-in. The player knows what they're getting into. Also, the community makes the rules, so hopefully they abide by their own rules.

Rusaku

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 01:16:21 AM »

A majority of the rules should probably stay how they were as well. What we would really be focusing on are the problem areas like Biju. Some other suggestions I have are things that people seems to get confused like action limits when it comes to clones and Summons. Some people say they get their own set of actions, others say they need to be shared with the users. If something like this were to pass, we would sit down and iron out the loopholes.

Like we have said, if people join, they are choosing to abide by the rules.
If you can't beat them, eat them.

-Jeffrey dahmer

Trev

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 01:51:11 AM »

Pretty much making the multiverse thing.

I agree. Make your own rules and have people opt in. I already have a fair idea of who will be in this "verse". I say go for it. No harm in trying it out, if it works you rp with people who have the same set of rules. If it fails, you're right back where you started.

SL started off split, time to go back
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 01:54:00 AM by Trev »
Don't say f*ck any more because f*ck is the worst word that you can say

So just use the word mmmkay!

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 01:51:57 AM »

So then you're just taking what we've been doing all this time and giving it a name to go along with the new group you're making. Trying to make it official. Everyone already has lines they will and will not cross. I'll rp with pretty much anything within the realm of Naruto, but don't like to do vampires and such (I had Shadow the Hedgehog come up to me once and want to combine power of the Tailed Beasts with the Chaos Emeralds, hoo boy).

Anyway, while I give you guys the A+ for effort and for laying this all out, what really would this do? I mean we have a workshop that's supposed to fix the bijuu rules and what other complications were there? Was dissension between Bunshin action limits just going over my head this whole time? If you could give a few more examples of other unclear non-bijuu rules I'd appreciate it.

I guess in short, the real question is how is this not just SLS again? You have your own set of rules that need to be abided by to be in the group and you'll redact or edit characters you interact with that don't follow those rules.

That's great but that's not really any different than now. There's a set of rules you have (or will have in this case) that will make everything great if they're followed and/or not abused and no real power beyond "We won't play with you." to enforce them. Which is no different than the bijuu rules.

I guess it's worth seeing what rules will be made. Maybe they'll be birthed from the mouth of God and be perfect in every way and we'll all want to follow them and this will solve everything. I would think its more likely that will not happen though.

Why the 180? Like it was mentioned Keito and Genny and such have been going around saying no one is going to follow rules we make, no one can get along, and then you guys make a topic going "We're going to make new rules for people to follow so everyone can get along." and that's great but it's kinda hilarious. What brought the change about?

Genesis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2015, 02:00:53 AM »

@Bocc: The rules made in the current SL are useless. Why? There's no one to enforce those rules. What's going to happen to someone who disobeys that rule? Nothing.

In this verse, rules will mean something because someone is enforcing it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 19 queries.