Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please report outages in the thread "messages/server outages", Thanks.

Poll

Should Game Masters be added?

Yes
No

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Game Masters | Community picked  (Read 10643 times)

Ѕhadow

• Roleplay Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Game Masters | Community picked
« on: October 26, 2015, 03:20:34 AM »

Usually I label these topics as 'round 2' or something of the likes. However I think that implies that there will be more topics or rounds about it later down the line. That's not my intent here. The addition of game masters/rp mods has been talked about before and small solutions have been added. With those solutions I feel they were put in to keep us content while avoiding providing us with what we wanted.

So far to date in terms of Rp on the site of SL. (An rp site mind you) Rp additions:

OOC and IC village boards (I love these to no end and I'd like to think some members think the same)

Uzushigakure as a village (I know overall the topic was....iffy for lack of better words, but for the most part I'm thankful that another step for rp was made)

The /gm option in the zones. )Which Warren informed me was removed due to select people abusing it. :/ )

Two GMS. Kyu (no longer here) and Zenaku (doesn't use his gm ability)

Those are the only rp things in recent months/years that I can remember being added. While I express my thanks for the first two the last ones are the ones I refer to as keeping us content.

http://forum.shinobilegends.com/index.php/topic,8001.45.html

That was the last topic on the subject. Very few people spoke their minds on it, but we did get an answer from Neji.

"I am not against the idea of having community chosen people.

Why I am hesitant is relatively easy: it might incite a discussion about power - and of groups forming up for either the one or the other GM candidate.
Then we have the entire discussion on "how to RP" taken to the next level.

I really dislike to make RP being rule-bound. It is the participating parties that make good RP possible. /game is only a very minor command you can use. GMs can not do much more.

At best chosen GMs are not the ones who are the most active or the ones who people vote in (*hint* politicians *hint*) but those are the best fit.

The general /game ability should stick to only a few ones, possibly nominated by moderators.
Usually it worked really well these past years.

For special zones I am open to put suggestions in here."

Overall what I got from that is he's not against them, but he fears that it will turn into a power debate and span into rules being applied to Rp.

Now I know all the issues that could happen and all the concerns with this.. I've read the topics and was involved with them. I talked to Neji, Ace, and normal players. I'm pretty sure at this point I've killed the horse in 100 lifetimes.

I want to see GMs in play. Give it a chance instead of saying no straight out. I want a mindset that are for GMs and what good they could do. Please.

A type of format:

Game Master | Role-playing Moderator

Title shown when posting in game:  [Master 主君]
Powers associated with: /game command. Able to post without their name showing
Shown on staff member list: Yes
Responsibilities:

Encourage new players to roleplay
Set up roleplay events
Moderate roleplay
Have an active part in the rp community

How they're chosen:
Majority vote by the player base.

Then brought to Neji to make the final decision. (Basically Vet them)

That process will happen until seven are picked

Seven (7) Gms in total for all village boards, clan halls, and fighting zones. There are nine (9) village boards including Hoshigakure (locked until 25) Around 20 zones (Unlocked at 25 and 50) and about 3-4 clan hall villages without boards.

Seven seems like a good number to me or even five.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

So here we are again. This time I will be urging a lot more players to have a voice and add a poll. It's been more than a year since last time.

Please GIVE BOTH GOOD AND BAD points towards this with constructive reasoning.

********TL;DR********

Should Rp mods/game masters be put into play. Yes or no and give constructive reasoning.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 08:29:29 PM by Madara (Shadow) »
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
Re: Game Masters | Rp Mods
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 03:22:28 AM »

Please vote yes or no in the poll and post your vote. ~ Easier to track that way.
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Becquerel

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 04:11:14 AM »

I think GMs would be a nice addition, mainly because of the anonymity that comes with the position. GMs could do major things such as events, but even minor things like the weather and villager actions (flavor text).
With the anonymous actions that can be posted, people are less likely to ignore it. Some people will flat out ignore posts because they don't like the person posting it, so if they don't know who's posting it then they can't really judge based on that.
Plus, if it's a community picked group of people then those people can be looked upon for guidance/answers/dispute solving.
100 push ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10km running every single day.

Suishou Koji

• Site Staff (Game Master)
  • Elder of Shinobi Legends
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 04:17:25 AM »

Not true on Zenaku's case. He does in fact use his gm ability just not as much as when he was active Raikage.
Current Raikage and Wikia Mod.

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 04:24:43 AM »

What do we mean exactly by having them moderate role play?

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 04:36:44 AM »

Not true on Zenaku's case. He does in fact use his gm ability just not as much as when he was active Raikage.

He hasn't used it all all in the last 30 days. However this isn't a debate about him using it or not. Overall he hasn't used it much at all.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 04:37:19 AM »

What do we mean exactly by having them moderate role play?

Not in terms of what they say goes, but think of a community manager type person.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 05:28:58 AM »

If the Konoha elections for Hokage were any indication to me, getting around politics in a democratic society is like getting around voting period. By definition, it aint happenin'.

Can't the Kage of each village hold each of these functions without being a GM? As has already been put on paper, the GM's cannot really do much more than use the anonymous post. That's it. Everything else they do (and are proposed to do) people like Kayenta already do for their section of the world.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Keito Uzumaki

• "Your opinion means very little to me."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 05:30:41 AM »

More GM's is a thing that should be at play for the RP and should have always been needed for the RP, I stand by it! This way the site can act as a helpful influence within the RP 'community' and truly work with the players to make the experience much more enjoyable. Of course, then again we can just GM our own things but to have that actual ability that exists is nice, given it hasn't been used much only for when the situation suits the particular GM. Otherwise people like Warren continue to GM regardless of the ability to use /game or whatever, in which case such a task ability would surely help.

Meaning sure, Zenaku still can do such but even then he would be tied with Kumo and probably wouldn't be GMing outside of that. So are we to say tough luck for the various other boards that could use a site GM to help with its RP? or are we going to force it all on him now to GM everywhere?  Because only the former is being done her and thats not really a solution or helpful, hence this topic is made. >>; <<;

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 05:35:03 AM »

If the Konoha elections for Hokage were any indication to me, getting around politics in a democratic society is like getting around voting period. By definition, it aint happenin'.

Can't the Kage of each village hold each of these functions without being a GM? As has already been put on paper, the GM's cannot really do much more than use the anonymous post. That's it. Everything else they do (and are proposed to do) people like Kayenta already do for their section of the world.

Being a kage doesn't qualify you to be a GM or else in a perfect world that would be the case. Like for Kayenta. She's a great example for being an GM for Suna. However that being said a GM shouldn't only cater to one village. There's 9 village boards in total. I'm sure Kayenta would do well with the /game command and title. Since she has rp in Iwa as well and Kumo even.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 05:53:39 AM »

Being a kage doesn't qualify you to be a GM or else in a perfect world that would be the case. Like for Kayenta. She's a great example for being an GM for Suna. However that being said a GM shouldn't only cater to one village. There's 9 village boards in total. I'm sure Kayenta would do well with the /game command and title. Since she has rp in Iwa as well and Kumo even.

Well, if (and only if) a kage is voted in democratically and one of the preliminary stages to becoming a GM is having a community vote of sorts, then other than Neji, there really isn't anything overly different about the qualifications if you think about it. And besides, are there even 9 people who would qualify for the GM role based on activity, popularity, and Neji's approval?

*7 or 5, but still, that many even?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 05:54:39 AM by Eric »
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 06:10:55 AM »

Well, if (and only if) a kage is voted in democratically and one of the preliminary stages to becoming a GM is having a community vote of sorts, then other than Neji, there really isn't anything overly different about the qualifications if you think about it. And besides, are there even 9 people who would qualify for the GM role based on activity, popularity, and Neji's approval?

*7 or 5, but still, that many even?

Well Kage are picked by that villages members not the whole site. In Konohagakure's case Kite was picked. Overall he seems to be at the least moderately active, but elections for a GM wouldn't be just based on community vote. The person would have to want to be a GM. I'm sure most of the kage will decline.

I'm sure there's enough for 5-7. There has to be and I can already think of three people. I don't know if Neji would approve of them or even of this, but I think GMs would be a good addition to the site.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 06:37:12 AM »

Well Kage are picked by that villages members not the whole site. In Konohagakure's case Kite was picked. Overall he seems to be at the least moderately active, but elections for a GM wouldn't be just based on community vote. The person would have to want to be a GM. I'm sure most of the kage will decline...

The village members can be thought of as a "local community" if you will. All of the candidates for Hokage were those who stepped forward to enter the temporary political quagmire of a fray, with some rather tight spots here and there as some such as yours truly went from cynicism of the whole thing to attempting to use it as the means to an end.

Again, the Neji checkpoint is the only major difference I see in selection. Yes, it will be a larger community voting since the GM will be intended for a larger audience, but still a popularity contest till we get to the Neji.

I agree that GM's would be nice, but the roles proposed are in some cases redundant in areas where there is already a psuedo-GM (GM's who are not official SL GM's but are clearly GM's) or two running the show. In areas lacking such centralization the GM's could be quite the helping hand.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 06:46:35 AM »

I like the idea of GMs being people who do go to other villages and try to spark rp.

I do not like the idea of a GM being a moderator. And Neji does not have them set up as a mod either. Decisions on RP need to come from the community for we are the ones involved. If the group of people who are engaged in their RP have no problem with autohits...then fine and dandy. They are easy enough to refute in the very next post made...and rp continues without a forum of people in debate for six years.

I think some of the other Mods also have the /game function for posting. I forget. However, it is not being used very often in terms of prompting rp. I do recall Zenaku going round with a merchant character to all the villages and people largely ignored his attempt to engage the character and see what sort of quests he had in mind. That was very unfortunate because many cool and interesting things were missed out on by us all.

While it is wonderful to have more opportunities out there for RP, and a true GM account with the /game ability for posting is not restricted to any one board but can use this all over the site, it is only as useful as the people who are willing to respond to all the attempts being made to coax some activity from the community at large.

A trend I have seen may be adding to the problem. People think that because an RP is going on in a village board that they are prohibited from making other rp in the same place. I would like to remind us to be more open to having multiple events going on in the same area. There is no reason why an encounter can't be going on at the village gates while inside others who are not engaged at the gates are progressing their own actions. And it is easy enough to follow along with who is doing what and where simply by reading and by including indicators in our posts to designate location or to whom the actions are directed.

Ex:

Luke Skywalker sits in his hover craft in the bazaar; the streets are full of activity while Ben Kenobi tells the storm troopers that these are not the droids they are looking for.

Meanwhile in the bar, Han Solo shoots first and is the only one to shoot---thank you very much---and Gredo dies while trying to execute the hit Jabba the Hut hired him for.

outside the village the Sand people are swarming over a caravan and looting their goods. Party tonight in the Caves!

While it is true that we make do with what we have to work with, ie: Color changes and hash marks and alt accounts...all these leaping through hoops in order to achieve a variety of actions and characters to meet the needs of the current RP...it would be much nicer to have the /game  option available to more people who are willing to devote the time required in traveling the land and sparking rp.

So yes. I would like to see more GMs. But in no way should they be put in any position to arbitrate. That must come from those who are involved. It is time to settle your own problems amicably and grow up a little. Compromise, give in. Put the situation into perspective. Is this the end of the world if you take a hit and have to exit the rp to heal in order to survive? Well. no...not in the least. Don't be so sure you are right all the time, cause I can guarantee that you are not. Remember this is a game and it is not fun if you are the only one who wins all the time. And not very realistic either. And so what if you are right? Perhaps you are shutting the door on an interesting storyline opportunity and should go with the flow now and then. It might surprise you where you will wind up when push comes to shove. Creation in RP does not come from one source...you need those around you to color the world and to provide a bit of chance and sidetracking to get to anywhere amazing.

It is a recipe for disaster to put moderation of any form into the hands of the storytellers. A true GM does not pit himself against the player but provides opportunity for the players to shine and to progress their characters and to have fun. And if you trust the GM to lead you on the ride of your life, you might just enjoy yourself some.

But seriously...we gotta be more flexible in the village boards to permit more rps to be occurring at once. If we allow one RP to dominate the board, then only those who give a crap about it and are in it will be active and the others? Well...they get shoved out of the way and creativity dies. SL is big enough for everyone. It's time we remembered that and encouraged others to believe that as well.

I feel than an election for a GM would not be good. Popularity does not mean a person is qualified to handle the job. The person needs to be willing and capable of creativity, and be concerned about everyone, not just their own gang of friends. The person needs to be willing to engage in many kinds of rp, not just combat. They cannot view any rp as meaningless or too small to encourage. And they can't take on the attitude that non-canon characters are trash. Are you willing to lead a vampire rp? Well some of SL's members are Vampires. Will you throw a birthday party? Can you figure out what will spark the interest of those who remain silent and draw them out? Will you be willing to rp with someone no matter their writing skill level? Will you lose so another can prosper? Do you have to be right all the time and argue your point to the bitter end? A GM is not a participant but a storyteller.

A GM has to be inclusive. And it is harder than you think.

But yes, I would like to see some true GMs on SL.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 06:47:33 AM »

However....i can't vote on this poll.

I want GMs but do not feel they should be Mods.
those are two different jobs in my way of thinking.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 07:55:28 PM by KayentaMoenkopi »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 22 queries.