Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ever wondered if your ideas have been talked about in the forum already? Well, try out the "search" option, where all your questions can be answered.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: RP on the forum?  (Read 5222 times)

Rusaku

• View Profile
RP on the forum?
« on: January 18, 2016, 12:52:21 AM »

OK, so I'm not gonna make a lengthy topic for this but I feel like it needs to be addressed.

I love the fact that everyone is making their own stories and enjoying Rp but c'mon, we have a site for this. It's called Shinobi Legends, and honestly it's not doing all that great when it comes to lengthy Rp's like this. All this activity you guys are spurring would do wonders over there opposed to here on the forum where we are really supposed to discuss rules and stuff. At least that is how I have seen it.

First it was the Biju matches, then it was the hunter/hero guild, and now it's just mundane RP interaction. What's wrong with SL for these things? Honestly, I'm just confused. Enlighten me.
If you can't beat them, eat them.

-Jeffrey dahmer

Garō, Ichirou

• View Profile
Re: RP on the forum?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 01:35:51 AM »

Well to be honest with you whenever I first branched off of SL to go to other rp sites I discovered that I enjoy the Forum layout for rp sites much better than shinobi legends.

A.) You don't have posts limited to a specific character count and always having to end them with some form of continue symbol
B.) It's much easier to add things such as photos or gifs to detail your description of things more efficiently
C.) I honestly feel like people are more inclined to actually read your rps on the forum, where as entire pages of text will go unread on the actual shinobi legends site

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 01:50:55 AM »

Basically what Ichirou said. Add pictures, edit the text layout or links.

I can change font sizes

I can even
adjust where the text is

or just add some flare ;D

Point of the matter is....

It gives us
So much more freedom

I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 01:52:42 AM »

If there was a way to add the same sort of freedom to the SL site then I'd do it on there.

Posts are just so much easier to read and write on here.
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Masane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 01:54:56 AM »

Well to be honest with you whenever I first branched off of SL to go to other rp sites I discovered that I enjoy the Forum layout for rp sites much better than shinobi legends.

A.) You don't have posts limited to a specific character count and always having to end them with some form of continue symbol
B.) It's much easier to add things such as photos or gifs to detail your description of things more efficiently
C.) I honestly feel like people are more inclined to actually read your rps on the forum, where as entire pages of text will go unread on the actual shinobi legends site

When you smell like you can do anything, there is nothing you smell like you can't do.

JayJay

• Who the flip is Jay!?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 01:58:00 AM »

It's easier to maintain. Nobody can exactly post in the midst of your post. It's entirely more organized and the topics won't vanish, so a year could go by and an RP could pick up from exactly where it left off. While that would suck, it would be easier to do so with the history of the RP remaining where it was.

Is it against the rules?

If they stand behind you, give them Protection.
If they stand besides you, give them Respect.
If they stand against you, SHOW NO MERCY!

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 03:45:24 AM »

well this is how i see it. if you look back to the first pages of the village square in the Roleplay section and see all those RPs...well it seems that this was indeed made to be used for RP.

it turned to rules and arguments only recently in its long history.

I for one RP a heck of a lot more on SL than I ever have this forum or SLS when it was up and running combined.

I prefer to RP on the actual site. The bulk of our community doesn't even come here, nor do they want to.

Most of you never seek me out in RP on SL unless you wish to destroy a village I am associated with to gain power and just happen to have to put up with me participating. so my chances for RP here are slim to none. On SL, however, the wider character base and range of RP available to me is quite satisfactory. And keep in mind that I have seriously cut down on the PM rps I do in favor of public posting.

But taking RP from SL to this forum is not something I would promote in the least. All the complaints people make about RPing there...oh dear, its a pain to do continuation posts to get it all up, people might interrupt me, i might have to page back to find my rp cause another has cropped up in the same board...well it is true this happens, but I say so what? The real time perks of a speedy reply, of some random person taking inspiration from something we are doing and going out to create their own RP, the chance someone might join in and expand the RP....all of these more than make up for any minor inconvenience created. I have had numerous encounters with people who message me because they saw me rping on SL and want to go out and do stuff too than I can even count. I have NEVER been contacted like that because of any RP I did here.

If I hide my RP here, well...gee...look at all the opportunities for chance to add spice to my story I am denying myself?

People on SL read more than you think. Most of the people I have met happened because they saw me RPing and pm'd me. Or because I saw them rping and I messaged them. A bio posted? Pft...that rarely captures my attention like SL RP does and never will.

UettoSenju

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 03:48:09 AM »

I've always been for pro rp at SL and agianst rp at forum.

That's just me though. I guess it's no different then if these rps where taking place at a dwelling though. At least here more can see them. That's about the only plus I see to it.

UettoSenju

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 03:54:14 AM »

We are just old school Kay

The main point of focus should be is rp here considered legit to have happened at SL? I mean what if someone rps sneaking into a village here? Clearly everyone from the village may not be here at forum so can it even be considered legit?

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 04:16:47 AM »

We are just old school Kay

The main point of focus should be is rp here considered legit to have happened at SL? I mean what if someone rps sneaking into a village here? Clearly everyone from the village may not be here at forum so can it even be considered legit?

No, it should not be the focus of this discussion. The RP that has been going on here, by and large, has NOT been in that strain. If anything, it has either been a separate RP continuity or, like with me and Jay, has been fairly benign as far as outside parties are concerned. If people do start trying to RP village attacks here then we can get on the topic of "is that even legit" in which case the answer will most likely be no.

I am coming to like doing RP here on the forum; many of the things already said plus sheer familiarity. There are no clan halls that I need to jump through, the word limit is incredibly high, and most importantly, I can actually get notifications of a new post being made in a thread sent to my e-mail  (not that I don't come on the forum almost every single day, cause I pretty much do as moderator and active forum goer).

... The bulk of our community doesn't even come here, nor do they want to...

Maybe if there is some RP here maybe they might. Either way, there are few that I know of who actually interact (and in some cases even want to interact) with the bulk of "the" community anyways, much less even knows what that means anymore.

*By and large used as alternative RP spot, not really the "main" RP hub. I doubt it'll ever get like that.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 04:19:52 AM by Eric »
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 04:32:20 AM »

Yes. Any and all rp that happens on here does carry over to SL.

No one would rp on here sneaking into a village. Where would they even put it? They'd have to first sign up for a forum account and then wait for it to be approved and then post the thread. 99% of the people on the forum are old players. I see a 0% chance of that situation happening ever.

And if it does? Well we ignore it. Tell them that's not how it's done, slap 'em on the wrist and send them off.

I mostly use the forums now for the Eastern Trek. That has 8 people in it. With the forum layout it seems far easier to do it on here than on SL. More organized and makes it easier for me.

In fact that's the only kind of RP I'll use the forums for. Multiple people in the rp and one that will include various 'chapters'

JayJay

• Who the flip is Jay!?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 05:24:28 AM »

If anything, it's more personalized. The forum RPs are only being used for groups of people that need this layout to organize everything and is only derived from the SL, The Hunter's Guild. HG is like a site in a site where the RP takes on a more video game like feel. If you're interested, go on and join, it's fun. XD

The significant event with me and Eric and, in time, me and Masane, are done here to forever document important events.

In my opinion, if you want something for someone to look back on, just to check legitimacy of something super super important, than doing it here on the forum, where the old school players can see and agree with, then I see no real problem with it. I'm not being biased, because I'm apart of the RPs here. I'm saying in general.

But the majority of my RPs are done on the site. So I'm cool.

If they stand behind you, give them Protection.
If they stand besides you, give them Respect.
If they stand against you, SHOW NO MERCY!

UettoSenju

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 01:57:51 PM »

I just can't grasp any rp done here becoming legit by any means at SL itself.  It's all OOC stuff in my opinion. Which is fine if Neji permits it and doesn't mind it.

In the end though that my opinion nothing more. It's just not for me. If you guys enjoy it then pursue what makes you happy. We come here for fun or atleast we use to. These days it can be hard to tell.

To each his on

Rusaku

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 09:59:35 PM »

I agree with the idea that RP can be more flamboyant here on the forum with the option of adding pictures and all of the other things pointed out.

I also understand what Kay was saying about the forum being used originally for RP. I have done my own amount of grave digging through old posts out of boredom to see what SL used to be like before I joined up, on the forum at least.

Thought to be honest I would have to side with Kirk in saying that none of what happens here should be IC, unless it's Biju oriented. Even then the only reason those are over here now is for documentation and availability. I seriously question the validity of doing in character RP on a separate site from SL. Sure they are obviously two related sites, but as it has been mentioned a majority of the user base on SL never even touches the forum to see these interaction.

As I noted before, I am only bringing this up because there has been an upsurgence of role play located on this platform, and I don't really want to see it become a trend that eventually aids in the inevitable downfall of SL. You say it's only a few Rp's compared to what goes down on SL, but in the last year we have gone from having only a few Biju fights on the forum to having two different GROUPS each with their own child board just for RP, and almost every single Biju based RP happens here. Not only that but with Ichirou and Masane coming back there has been a number of just mundane Rp's happening. Not that it is just the twins by any means, they are just two people who I have seen in the RP's more than others. I know Eric, Jay, and Ray have been participating as well. 

I'm not trying to bash the stories by any means. Please don't misunderstand. I also understand the allure of the forum with it's various mechanics that allow for better immersion, I just don't want to see SL neglected. ^_^
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 10:53:16 PM by Rusaku »
If you can't beat them, eat them.

-Jeffrey dahmer

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 11:01:23 PM »

... I just don't want to see SL neglected. ^_^

It won't be. The majority of the player base doesn't even touch this place. There is no threat to SL RP whatesoever by the RPs which are done here.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 16 queries.