Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ever wondered if your ideas have been talked about in the forum already? Well, try out the "search" option, where all your questions can be answered.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Discussion: Consequences of going over mastery  (Read 5632 times)

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
Discussion: Consequences of going over mastery
« on: May 28, 2016, 04:28:29 AM »

This is a red letter item from the rough draft of the bijuu rules.

What happens when a host rps a power that is over his current bijuu mastery level?

Will he RP himself as being totally out of control until he is subdued? For how many rounds? Indefinitely?

Will going over mastery be an automatic loss of the match?

Will it be possible to gain control again?

Eric

• View Profile
Re: Discussion: Consequences of going over mastery
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 01:47:29 AM »

This is a red letter item from the rough draft of the bijuu rules.

What happens when a host rps a power that is over his current bijuu mastery level?

Will he RP himself as being totally out of control until he is subdued? For how many rounds? Indefinitely?

Will going over mastery be an automatic loss of the match?

Will it be possible to gain control again?

It would be really easy to just make it an automatic forfeit.

It would be more logical to have a time limit on out of control-ness.

Alright, here's my idea. If a host can beat a challenger within 2 turns of going out of control (counting the turn going berserk) then the host has the ability to return to normal. Otherwise, the biju is automatically released regardless of any other circumstances, and either the challenger reigns in the beast that turn or the provisions for GMing a wild beast go into effect.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 03:12:22 AM »

hmmm, might this be exploitable of the having to fight within your powerset in the first place?

i can go over mastery, have the power of a berserk bijuu at my disposal and rp him for 2 round to win?

where is the penalty for going over mastery?

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 03:23:25 AM »

hmmm, might this be exploitable of the having to fight within your powerset in the first place?

i can go over mastery, have the power of a berserk bijuu at my disposal and rp him for 2 round to win?

where is the penalty for going over mastery?

Automatic loss if you fail to win in those 2 turns?

I suppose you have a point, it's not really a punishment FOR going over mastery, more of a punishment for going over mastering and failing to win.

Well, we could just cut the cheese here and say you go over mastery you are god-modding, so auto-win for challenger?
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 06:00:48 AM »

*facepalm*

Going berserk is not a boon. It's not something you can exploit. I'll say it again, the only reason I brought up and wanted to make rules for it was it is something that can happen, and we have been attempting to close all loopholes.

If you go berserk in a bijuu fight and can no longer plan and form coherent thoughts than you lose, period. There doesn't need to be an auto-loss, it isn't god modding, it's just shooting yourself in the foot. I don't know why anyone would do it, but it is a thing that can happen.

Unless you're fighting literal Genin level people who can't deal with a bijuu than going berserk just kills you if you don't have someone around to suppress the bijuu.

It is a self-fixing problem because anyone strong enough to make a Jinchuriki go over their mastery is going to for sure beat them if they go berserk, and so why would you ever willingly do so against someone you can beat otherwise? I seriously doubt it's ever even going to come up.

Just make it be simply like I said. You ascend one tail a turn until all the tails of your tails are out in which case the bijuu is released, you die (unless you're immune to that sort of thing), and then control of the now released beast goes to a judge/GM. You must rp in a berserk animalisitic state or be called out on god-modding.

JayJay

• Who the flip is Jay!?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 08:17:50 AM »

I don't fully understand this concept. If you've mastered something, how could you possibly go berserk? I can only see a berserker mode happening if one tried to use more tails than they can handle, in which the bijuu forces control over the container's motor functions.

If that's what you meant, than it should be called something else, other than going over mastery. It basically an out-of-body experience when one loses their mind but cant do anything about it.

If they stand behind you, give them Protection.
If they stand besides you, give them Respect.
If they stand against you, SHOW NO MERCY!

Becquerel

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 08:42:02 AM »

Well, the berserker mode could also come into play during extreme emotional distress. Didn't Naruto turn into the 6 and 7 tailed chakra modes (prior to being ready for it) by basically being driven to it by watching Kakashi 'die' and Hinata get injured? I don't really remember because it was so long ago lol

Of course, later on that never happened because he 'mastered' it, but we also know that at that point Naruto became emotionally stable and strong. There are quite a few crazy/psycho characters in SL that could potentially 'lose it' even if they mastered the beast causing them to go berserk. But then again, if they're buddy-buddy with the beast, that shouldn't technically happen. So, it's just a difficult situation that should likely be dictated by the plot that the player is involved with.
100 push ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10km running every single day.

JayJay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 10:25:55 AM »

Well, the berserker mode could also come into play during extreme emotional distress. Didn't Naruto turn into the 6 and 7 tailed chakra modes (prior to being ready for it) by basically being driven to it by watching Kakashi 'die' and Hinata get injured? I don't really remember because it was so long ago lol

Of course, later on that never happened because he 'mastered' it, but we also know that at that point Naruto became emotionally stable and strong. There are quite a few crazy/psycho characters in SL that could potentially 'lose it' even if they mastered the beast causing them to go berserk. But then again, if they're buddy-buddy with the beast, that shouldn't technically happen. So, it's just a difficult situation that should likely be dictated by the plot that the player is involved with.

True, that makes sense. Emotional instability could in fact play a hand in going berserk. If a host was still instable when they master their beast, using it should hamper the effectiveness of their actions, leading to a berserk state.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 12:22:50 PM »

Which might be very cool for a general RP situation, but hardly advisable for a host to opt for while in a challenge match.

JayJay

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 01:30:29 AM »

Which might be very cool for a general RP situation, but hardly advisable for a host to opt for while in a challenge match.

That would be very cool and rather fun to be involved in.

Becquerel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 01:34:09 AM »

That would be very cool and rather fun to be involved in.

Do people actually RP with the Bijuu? I thought all people do is fight on here with them. Probably because I never see anyone ever use them.

JayJay

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 01:39:55 AM »

Other than small talks, I don't really see anything like that happening. It might be going down privately, but not publically.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 05:53:33 AM »

*facepalm*

Going berserk is not a boon. It's not something you can exploit...

It's those clutch moments where what is needed is chakra and raw power that would make this exploitable. The definition of animilistic and bestial are too vague to work here in my opinion; what is just natural reactions and what is planning when it comes to a split second decision, something which it often comes down to?

I say make it an auto-loss and call it a day. What your proposing is a scenario where it is possible (within the realm of possibility) for someone to win going the berserker route while as just making it an auto-loss accomplishes the same ideal without the chance for exploitation.

Becquerel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 06:08:13 AM »

Technically speaking, Naruto didn't lose when he went berserk.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2016, 06:39:37 PM »

Technically speaking, Naruto didn't lose when he went berserk.

Technically speaking, we don't want to reward people for going over their mastery, which giving them a chance at winning just might.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 20 queries.