Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ever wondered if your ideas have been talked about in the forum already? Well, try out the "search" option, where all your questions can be answered.

Author Topic: Trip to the City of Brotherly Love  (Read 1456 times)

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
Trip to the City of Brotherly Love
« on: July 10, 2016, 11:56:28 PM »

So...I had to go to Philadelphia yesterday. took 17 hours and I drove about 765 miles in one day. There was no time for site seeing so everything I got to see was from the car. all in all a dreadfully boring day. We didn't get to stop at Gettysburg, or the Cloister, or the Hopewell foundry, or even drive through the city and breeze by the historical sites! But I did make it home by 12:30 that night and grabbed 4 hours sleep before getting up for work today. So it was a success. We got caught in a thunderstorm, so that was cool. And we ate at "Eat at Joe's" crab shack. So that was cool too. Sea food around here is very pricey and no one seems to know how to cook it. the calamari was perfect. not a bit rubbery but so tender. The shrimp just was so juicy and flavorful. And yes, it was fast food. I have eaten at some pretty amazing seafood places over the years but compared to around here, it was prime! On average though, I would rate it a 7 on a scale of 1-10.

So WV looks like this as far as the eye can see. Which is not very far at all. The hills get in the way. And I like that. you are protected and not exposed to the world. Indiana just drives me insane...and Kansas is just not right...they have signs along their roads for hills and you think...man, we have pot holes with steeper grades than that little dirt mound we just drove over and didn't feel...

Alright...The road sign? Clarksburg. they have an amazing Italian Heritage Festival there that is well worth going to. Glenville has a bluegrass festival that is wonderful, and a great ramp festival. In case you don't know, a ramp is a garlic tasting wild onion that will make you smell bad for the week. But if all your friends eat them too no one cares. And West Union? pft...I have relatives in the cemetery and it is the head waters of Middle Island Creek...which is the longest creek in the world...just shy of the cut off criteria for a river.

And then there are areas of farmland as far as the eye can see. Maryland and Pennsylvania look just like this too. go figure. same mountain range!

Ah yes, I nearly forgot about Cheat Lake...its on both sides of the road and winds around in the hills so you can't see all of it from one place. There is a pretty classy resort up there with impressive golf course and all. Of course it was nothing like the golf course that got washed out and destroyed by the July floods at the Greenbriar Resort in White Sulfur Springs. Another place worthy visiting if you want to blow some cash and live high on the hog while you rough it in the state parks and try to become with nature. :P

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 12:24:49 AM by KayentaMoenkopi »

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
Re: Trip to the City of Brotherly Love
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 12:07:06 AM »

And I like bridges.

In WV most of the ones going over highways are pretty plane jane. Now and then you get a nice arch out of steel like this one, which is sweet. Ah, if we had gone through Philipi I could have shown you the covered bridge. lol

And in Pennsylvania I saw this steel monstrosity. Most of the ones were just interstate type but they put up beautiful stone inlay over the concrete girders. But hey, its a turnpike with a toll so they have the extra money to embellish. you can see in the right background some stone slab wall being constructed. I assumed this was a noise barrier for the living community near the road.

And then in Philadelphia I got to see this one, which was the most ornate one along the route. Still pretty plane, but worthy of mention.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 12:17:58 AM »

I also like tunnels. Ever since I was a child. They just excite me. Thinking about the tonage of stone over head as we fly through the chute. the hum and rumble of it all. The lights wizzing by...

anyway, on the Pennsylvania Turnpike we got to go through 3, 2 of which were back to back. Soon as we left one we went right into another. the view out the other side was a let down though. There is a tunnel on the border of WV and VA someplace...you go in and drive forever through the mountain and then when you come out the other side your are bazillion feet in the air out on this massive bridge with jut concrete railings and you can see to the end of creation out over the mountains until they disappear into a blue haze on the horizon.

We went through Blue Mountain, Tuscarora Mountain, and Kittatinny Mountain.

You get a bit of a light show as you drive through...

And then there is he light at the end of the tunnel! So blinding!

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 12:39:43 AM by KayentaMoenkopi »

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 12:20:32 AM »

I was a bit surprised at how the towns all looked like some place back home though. I guess if you have seen one coal town you have seen them all. This is Bedford Pa. Old time buildings, quaint stores...I was trying to get a shot of the coffee shop which was ridiculously named...HeBrews Coffee Company...I had to wonder what SheBrews...alas, the stupid phone pole got in the way. yet another reason to put wires underground!

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 12:28:05 AM »

The height of boredom was waiting in the cash only line at the toll booth. my son pipes up and said, "Mom...this looks like the Walking Dead."

We kept the doors locked.  :shock:

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 12:32:09 AM »

And so we said goodbye to my friend. He joined the peace corps and will be in Africa for 2 years. Then drove home back into the storm. These shots do not do justice to the multitude of colors int he skies...but they did certainly fit the mood.

Next time I travel, I swear it will be for fun!

Becquerel

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 02:21:27 AM »

I was trying to get a shot of the coffee shop which was ridiculously named...HeBrews Coffee Company...

It makes me wonder if it's trying to make a joke regarding a male shop owner, or if it's a religious joke lol
Reminds me of a Chinese Restaurant I saw on the outskirts of Portland, Oregon. "Hung Lo Chinese Restaurant".
100 push ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10km running every single day.

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 20 queries.