Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please petition corrupted/Badnavs in game, nothing can be done from the forums.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [Rant] I hate the concept of time on SL. It sucks.  (Read 3805 times)

Genesis

• Characters: Genesis, Synthesis, Vagabond, Yukio
    • View Profile
[Rant] I hate the concept of time on SL. It sucks.
« on: July 18, 2016, 05:53:52 AM »

SL sucks when it comes to a ton of stuff, but especially when it comes to time. Especially time. And I know for a fact there will never be an agreement on this.

The approach to many things on SL is "I'm doing me right now". So, if you want to do something, you just RP it and boom it happens to your character. It's very self-run. Which is the appeal of SL.

But, when it comes to time, being independent can't be a thing. According to the real world and the cannon world, time affects everything. No one is spared by it. I want to age my character. But it's going to be weird because there are people who have been the same age for past 8 years. If there's anything that I want the most, it's mandated age increments. 10 years have passed. Too bad, you can't be 18 for 5 years. That's right.  But that will never happen.

So far, I've been adding a year to Genesis around my birthday. (He's 23 and I'm 22)

But I'm doing this retirement angle and having a 23 year old retire doesn't seem right. So, I want to increase his age to 35. While 35 isn't old at all, atleast it's more "mature". But I hesitate to do this because it would be weird. Like, everyone I know would be the same age but I just became older out of no where. It makes sense for me because of the story I want to tell for my character, but it doesn't make sense with everyone I RP with because they aren't held to the same time standard that I am.

I'm probably going to do the time skip, but this is just something I've been thinking about and I just wanted to let it all out somewhere, so I let out here. If you agree with me, disagree, think I'm an idiot, etc., let me know! I want to read your folks thoughts on this.

Vail

• View Profile
Re: [Rant] I hate the concept of time on SL. It sucks.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 06:32:05 AM »

One opportunity that roleplay gives is it the ability to pick and choose what periods of our characters lives we write. Most people roleplay in the present, as you've said, but I tend to hop around in my character's timeline so I can do more writing. Does that make sense? I figure you could do the same thing, that way if you want to roleplay with Gen as 36 years old instead of 23, you can. You'd just need to come to an agreement with the other members of the roleplay that this occurs in a time different than the "present" one.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 08:35:32 AM »

This is a huge problem that I just have to hand wave.
Like my husband. he is 14 years older than me but doesn't ever want to leave his 30s....
I did the one year on my birthday age up...and now he is no longer 14 years older than me but rather, 4.

And Genny...you know how your father is...now you are going to be older than him as well.

So there is that. Then there are my kids...

the demon kin can just be whatever age they want to be. Yes that is canon SL, their father went from birth to adult in 2 earth years by the time he and Moenkopi married. Now Nayeli...she promised him she would not age quick like he did. But her brother Dafydd said piss on that, so he is visibly older than she is. Then the twins just do their own thing rarely coming out in public, though Reseda has gone on to her teenage years kind of forcing the issue for her brother.

then Asadi's youngest son...that I know of bitches!!! Is human...save for something on his mother's side but...that is ooc-ness. He is 4 on his bio page.

So It is funny cause I was posting Hywel in the zones tonight and wanted to mention is age but then i just froze and glossed over that part cause check it...

Masaaki(d.5/1/13 age 14)
Tanarri Nayeli(3/27/9) - 12 years old
Yoshiki(d.8/30/9 age 6)
Dafydd ap Tanarri(7/15/9) - 17 years old
Tanarri Reseda(11/14/9) - 16 years old
Orion ap Tanarri(11/14/9) - 16 years old
Suishou Hywel(05-01-11)- 4 years old

Only on SL each game year is equal to 3 real years...so actually...

Masaaki(d.5/1/13 age 14)
Tanarri Nayeli(3/27/9) - 21yrs. 9mo+days
Yoshiki(d.8/30/9 age 6)
Dafydd ap Tanarri(7/15/9) - 21 yrs. 9 days
Tanarri Reseda(11/14/9) - 20 yrs. 12 days
Orion ap Tanarri(11/14/9) - 20 yrs. 12 days
Suishou Hywel(05-01-11)- 15 yrs. 7mo. 24 days

by SL time...and I still feel like i calculated that wrong. So I got RP years and SL years and real years? well since the births were staggered on the SL time system real years would have been impossible to manifest with a 9 mo term pregnancy.

I am exhausted.

Now how old is Moenkopi really on SL years? hmmm...she walked into Suna as an 18 year old, and that was in September 2006, she claims to be 28 now...but since this fall it will be 10 years x 3...she should really be

OMG shut up!!!! No way is she...48?

Which would have made Asadi 32 when she came...holy cow, no wonder he doesn't want to count like that...62??? And Koji thought he was the oldest brother.

damn, all that streaking really kept him young.

Tonight I just said to hell with time in all its aspects. tired of waiting on my turn to post, seeing my village with 9 days worth of posting on one page instead of 9 pages of posting in one day...so Kay is in two places at once again, oh well...wait...3, no four places!!!! Yeah, its nice to be active again.

Time is a construct of man anyway, and as such...

we women are totally exempt!

JayJay

• Who the flip is Jay!?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 09:16:24 AM »

OMG shut up!!!! No way is she...48?

Dayum!!!

If they stand behind you, give them Protection.
If they stand besides you, give them Respect.
If they stand against you, SHOW NO MERCY!

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 10:38:41 AM »

Shadow has went from 22 to 26 over the past 10 years so I kinda incremented his age a bit.
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 01:18:09 PM »

I've timeskipped before. Before Eric went on hiatus, before Jestar came around, he was a teenager/young adult. After he came back as a missing ninja and Jestar had been around for a little bit calling him daddy, he came back almost twice as old, and he slightly aged a bit every december for a little while (not sure if I aged him up last year or not, I think I did though) and nobody was the wiser.

Then I once talked about him training with a guy named Nathan Stamper while he was younger and the still less than 30 Nathan is like, "wut?" Then there was that grudge against Takashi that nobody but my character seemed to remember any details to (to be fair their encounter was like, nearly 8 RL years ago now, at that time it was probably more like 4, and the whole thing was probably a blip on the radar for her) and my character Eric started meeting (or in some cases re-meeting) alot of his current knowns (Rares, Kayenta, etc.) after his timeskip.

LightningX is probably one of the few who ran with Eric both in his younger years and encountered him again middle aged without aging much. Though I'd seen a guy named Fifty in the streets, I didn't really know him you know? Same with Raifudo and Zenaku et al.

Interesting thing though, it's really allowed me to have a lot of fun with Eric's backstory; you can literally read the pre-return period and notice that it's pretty different in almost every way. I haven't even updated it, now that I think about it, for quite a while. I'm probably way behind on my current activities.

Oh well, I digress. Time on SL is so screwy because it takes hours to post when in-game that would be days; the only time the progression of time becomes an issue is when you claims something happened years ago and your current hasn't aged a bit since then. Literally.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Yomi

• Site Staff (Game Master)
  • Agony's Embrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 01:23:33 PM »

Time sure is a funny thing in SL. People don't age yearly and seem to stay in their teens/twenties/thirties for who knows how long years. SL is where you see parents having nearly the same age as their kids, whether they are biological or not. But hey, things still work out in RP, right?

I had Yomi go through aging from a 17 year old to a 21 year old before I stopped. It's there she became involved in her village's activities so I kinda decided that 'okay, we'll have her stay at this age first until things settled down again'. Maybe if she became idle, I'll have her age again. Dunno, maybe I'll have her become 25 or 30?

I'm a straight up villain.

Genesis

• Characters: Genesis, Synthesis, Vagabond, Yukio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 02:43:01 PM »

And Genny...you know how your father is...now you are going to be older than him as well.

Damn it, I just completely forgot about that....awkward stuff like this is making me hesitate even more.

I had Yomi go through aging from a 17 year old to a 21 year old before I stopped. It's there she became involved in her village's activities so I kinda decided that 'okay, we'll have her stay at this age first until things settled down again'. Maybe if she became idle, I'll have her age again. Dunno, maybe I'll have her become 25 or 30?

Maybe I'll settle on 32 and call it a day.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 02:45:45 PM by Genesis »

Warren

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 04:02:41 PM »

I have no particular formula or anything for how much time I consider to have passed at SL during RL time, I do it case by case mainly.

Aging thing I got around with genetics though, which amusingly ended up kinda becoming the main shtick of my boys. Outside of one who's both not related and all normal...well unless you count recent massive surgery and gene therapy to save his life, all of em are a family tree and look older than they are.

Longass story, nutshelled their DNA is such an unstable/incomplete mess that it makes the body burn out trying to compensate, which in turn causes significantly hastened aging. I have since then IC-developed a kind of "cure" for this that stabilizes the genetics, slowing aging relatively to normal if not even slower, amusingly wasn't even my idea originally, Ryouchiha and his wife whose name I keep forgetting brainstormed it and I later perfected when they disappeared.

Only downside is that such significant remodeling is obviously tremendously stressful on the body, so try give that to a kid and they're just gonna die from the fever alone, let alone other possible temporary sicknesses.

Live through it though and you end up with cases like a 18-20 year old looker, yet has only been around 5-7. Creates some amusing RP having the mind/brain trying to catch up and have the person not looking like a severely out of place freak...at least when things don't go horribly wrong that is.

Hazama

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 05:38:10 PM »

I've read all of this and actually reading Kay's post makes me notice something horrible O.o Technically Athos should be 48 going on 49 not 43 going on 44.

I don't mind having my character be old, I never have. And I usually RP three birthdays in a year o.o I've always followed the 'One day is three SL days, so one year is three SL years. I know some people who also use it but as you can see everyone kinda does their own thing with it!

And as for being older than your father, Gen... Well, listen to your Uncle Athos. I am suppose to be the 'Youngest' out of Koji, Asadi, and myself but in all actual reality, Athos is currently marked at age 43 as we all know and because of that, it makes him older than both his brothers. Hell, it technically makes him the oldest out of all his siblings... But it doesn't stop me from RPing with any of them!

And on Hazama I was marked nineteen at a time and had a 20-something year old son. Adopted, surely but the age never played a role in any RPs that we did o.o

So, if you ask me, I say do what you want at the end of the day :p
I don't always make sense, but that's kind of the point.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 08:34:12 PM »

I find this all very interesting and am glad that so many people responded.

And Genny...perhaps you can look at it like this. You father was host to a demon and that may certainly have had some medical consequences to make him appear to have stopped aging. Call it male vanity? Call it the curse of Kaizer...it works either way and everyone is how they like to be!

Hazama

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 08:53:48 PM »

I find this all very interesting and am glad that so many people responded.

And Genny...perhaps you can look at it like this. You father was host to a demon and that may certainly have had some medical consequences to make him appear to have stopped aging. Call it male vanity? Call it the curse of Kaizer...it works either way and everyone is how they like to be!

I have to disagree.
I mean look at me...

Then Asadi.

Obviously it is called good genetics xP
I don't always make sense, but that's kind of the point.

JayJay

• Who the flip is Jay!?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 09:01:07 PM »

I've been following the year go round thing since I started at 18-19, now I'm 23. But for the triplets, I went with the old 1 RL day = 3 SL days and then went back to the year round thing after they were born. I've wanted to make myself older, go into a hyperbolic time chamber type of thing, but just haven't gotten around to it.

Like the others said, time is screwy, parents can be the same age, or just like 2-3 years apart from their children whether biological or not. I just say, do what you want. Make yourself older, increase your skills because, free time :) and just say it was SL magic.

If they stand behind you, give them Protection.
If they stand besides you, give them Respect.
If they stand against you, SHOW NO MERCY!

Kage

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 10:15:43 PM »

The age thing is silly. If you want to talk about something controversial with time, technique casting/performing/effecting time would be a better subject.

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 10:19:39 PM »

The age thing is silly. If you want to talk about something controversial with time, technique casting/performing/effecting time would be a better subject.

Yeah I remember Ryoji was claiming to have a Senjutsu enhanced Tailed Beast Ball rocketing through the infinite expanse of his pocket dimension forever so he could launch it in any bijuu challenge and I was like yeah that's dumb.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 20 queries.