Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ever wondered if your ideas have been talked about in the forum already? Well, try out the "search" option, where all your questions can be answered.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Nature Shots  (Read 3803 times)

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
Re: Nature Shots
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 09:03:14 PM »

He is much too quick for me to get within even 6 feet. Sadly he will never be my prince.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 02:21:18 AM »

The drive to work is just rife with wildflowers and as the seasons change, so do they. During Summer we get some of the following:

Black Cohosh: people dig the roots and sell them by the pound. Reportedly it is used to treat menopause and may be effective in the treatment of prostate cancer. Of course no conclusive evidence exists and side effects are numerous. In no way do I promote its use for anything but to make pretty white flowers to look at. The foliage also provide a nice ground cover, but it does prefer shaded areas of the yard being a forest type flower.

Sweet peas: these are toxic and should never be eaten or even put in your mouth.

Black eyed Suzies: These have got to be among my most favorite wild flower. But I can't pick them because they make me break out. Still very fine to look at as they grown in thick patches all along the road.

Queen Anne's Lace: The name comes from the legend that Queen Anne pricked her finger while she was sewing and a drop of her blood fell on the lace. Note the blood red bloom in the very center...anyway, this is of the carrot family and Romans used to eat it as a root, uhm, who knows what they called it then... American colonists boiled the tap root to add to wine as a treat as it is second only to beets for its sugar content. Sometimes the Irish, Hindus, and Jews use it to sweeten puddings and other foods.

Some sort of thistle-like flower I can't identify and an unknown Salvia variety, maybe Azura. The thistle thing also comes in lavender.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 02:31:59 AM »

My river. I used to love to go swimming and fishing there, but since working at the environmental lab i refuse to touch its waters anymore. Still, so far...it is one of the beautiful sights around the state. This shot is along side an island where a creek empties into the river, the change in light upon the water being the main body of the river itself, while the nearer water is the creek.

Further back along the island is a marina where people put in their fishing boats or jet skis. In the park the ducks have gotten to be pretty bold and will come right up to you expecting a hand out. That land is the island in the river and is fairly large. Deer live out there and all sorts of other wild life. Note the cheeky drake in the middle standing on one leg and showing off his wing span.  :D

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2016, 12:52:21 AM »

Tomato Hornworm is eating my garden to death!!!! Little bastard. Just look at what he is doing. I would show you my denuded broccoli but that is just too scandelous even for this crowd. Not one leaf left on the poor things. WHAH!!!!!

So he turns into the Manduca quinquemaculata. Otherwise known as the Five Spotted Hawk Moth.

Yomi

• Site Staff (Game Master)
  • Agony's Embrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2016, 02:13:56 AM »

I have been trekking up mountains as a hobby and I can say that every climb we do is a wonderful experience. The most recent climb we've had is at Mt. Maculot. The plan was just to go to the Rockies instead of the summit because it was the highlight of the entire climb.

This is from the stopover at the middle of the mountain. While it's just a glimpse of what can be seen at the Rockies, it caused excitement among the team.

Once we got to the Rockies, we are treated to a view of Taal Lake. A lot of bees and butterflies around.

View of the mountain

And a panoramic view from the Rockies.

I'm a straight up villain.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2016, 08:01:31 AM »

Absolutely gorgeous!

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2016, 10:23:16 PM »

at work today this little guy intruded in the home. I managed to get a shot of him before taking him outside.

the Katydid Nymph

I did not get one of him in flight, but stole this off the net, they really are beautiful in the air.

Teostra

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2016, 01:45:43 AM »

Quick question. Where do you host your images? I got some japan nature pics I could load up here if I used the same site.

Most SL RPers these days - http://postimg.org/image/o2621ldd9/

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2016, 06:35:14 AM »

photobucket but it is ticking me off as of late. It is filled with all these stupid adds and videos now, that just were not there years ago when i opened my account. but to undo all those links at this stage of the game would be more hateful. Still, i have been using it for...dang as long as I been on sl and I still have not run out of storage space.

I see lots of people using tiny pic... Daichi used to swear by them.

one drive, through the microsoft email accounts....does it support pictures too? I have yet to fully explore all its features.

Uhm, i see Yomi used... i.imgur.com
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 06:36:27 AM by KayentaMoenkopi »

Teostra

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2016, 06:50:35 AM »

Sorry they're all turned. Don't know how to fix that.

Moth on a tree.

Wasp carrying huntsman spider away up a wall.

Shiny bug I found on the way home. Don't remember the name off the top of my head.

Sakura tree.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2016, 07:09:26 AM »

I know how to tilt my head to the side so it works great!

thank you for sharing. I like the shiny bug the best!

Teostra

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2016, 07:21:11 AM »

He was just hanging out on a path home, so I picked him up and put him on a leaf so he didn't get smushed.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2016, 12:34:59 AM »

Today I took the lady I work for to a butterfly house. It was free and something I learned that both of us have wanted to do for years. So we ran away and fulfilled our life long dream together! Celebrated with ice cream afterward too. The house was at this landscaping business and quite nice. Inside the business they screened off a section and filled it with plants for the butterflies to hatch out and go through their life cycle. So I got quite a few shots. Around here the true monarch butterfly  is not as common as it once was.

These first photos are of the Monarch during their caterpillar phase.

Here is one with some Oleander Aphids.

these two photos are of the white paper towel sheets on a board that the chrysalis are pinned to for the hatching of the butterflies. Shamless plug for Bounty, the quicker picker upper.

And of course the adult themselves.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2016, 12:50:34 AM »

Mattie, Mariko's Australian Sheppherd, checking out a Caladium at the base of that water maple that was covered in Cicadas earlier this year.

Portulaca, or Moss Ross, I have growing in some antique clay pipe water line I found. I just dug a hole and set it like a post, then filled it with dirt. ta dah. flower pot. And yes, my front steps need painting.

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2016, 05:32:58 AM »

You have to look hard, but living underneath the liner of my pond is a garter snake. He is hunting my frogs! Was walking the dog the other day and I saw him jump in the pond after them. He is so sneaky!

So that green jelly stuff in the water is the mass of frog eggs. And in the center, beneath the horizontal stripe of straw looking grass, is just the head of this snake peeking out.

And again near the pond, a praying mantis. Fall is looking a bit lively in the yard.

Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.