Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New members: you need admin approval, please petition *in game* if you made an account. :)

Author Topic: IC Hunt Discussion  (Read 3630 times)

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
IC Hunt Discussion
« on: December 05, 2015, 01:39:13 AM »

Here I wish to talk about what we should do, and not mistakes that this person and that person has made. I don't think anyone needs a history lesson.

I proposed the host having to GM the hunt section to the conclusion that the hunter finds the host.

What are your thoughts on this? Is this too controlling? Should RP be more free form where hosts have a chance to stay hidden from hunters who just fail to employ the right techniques and follow the right clues to find them? Or should the host be responsible for seeing that each hunter gets their moment to square off?

Warren

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
Re: IC Hunt Discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 02:13:20 AM »

Yes, this has got to go, its the rule I was going to talk about earlier in the dwelling before the forum board was made.

There is no justification whatsoever for the challenger having 100% chance of success at finding the host no matter what, especially up to the point they magically just get resurrected somehow if they mess up and die.

I get the point of people wanting hosts to be possible to be found, but having no failure chance is catering towards the challenger far too much, and it'd basically make the hunting part pointless anyway. Why bother when even if it goes against all logic and reason they will still get to you, and be able to demand you just throw everything away and fight them, or you get stripped?

If you aren't good enough, then you should just man up and admit you aren't good enough.

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 02:24:17 AM »

Well the only reason IC hunts made a resurgence was so people could use them to blow off their challengers for as long as possible.

We had the rules before where you HAD to IC hunt the person, that was the only option, and it failed literally 9 times out of 10. So we went back to the old system of bijuu challenges and at some point and for some reason people started allowing IC hunts again, why I have no idea.

It says plainly in the bijuu rules that the hunt rp is not to dodge having to fight your challenger, merely an rp to set up the fight, and that's all it should be. The IC hunt is the problem every person has brought to the forum in the past months.

If we want to have IC hunts the current system needs to be obliterated like the blight that it is and rebuilt from the ground up.

I like the idea of the host GMing them to the fight. It can be an rp that takes several days but you get your fight in the end. If you screw up and somehow die that's on you but merely stalking the host till they're alone shouldn't be a particularly perilous task. Everyone has to defend their bijuu but at some point that simple idea got twisted.

If you aren't good enough to defend your bijuu, then you should just man up and admit you aren't good enough.

Warren

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 02:45:04 AM »

Claiming someone isn't good enough to defend themselves, when they refuse to just set up a booth right out in the open, declare they're a host of this and this on a loudspeaker and have people get in line to fight them, is insulting.

In fact why would you allow hosts to have any RP at all to begin with, when the fights take priority over anything and everything no matter what? Oh you're in the middle of something that could affect the fate of the whole world? Well too bad I want to fight you now, and no I don't care if the possible sudden loss of your beast would mess everything up.

And hosts GMing RPs for challengers to find them isn't imo the answer at all, especially because to be blunt without pointing fingers, I could bet you that the instant someone did die or end up in a dead-end due to their incompetence, they would rush to the forums immediately and demand the host be stripped under pretense of unfairness.

Do people ever complain about something equally difficult to get like hiraishin or edo tensei? No, or if they did it was so long ago I don't remember it, for some reason its only the bijuu anymore, never anything else.

Everyone has freedom to try hunt any and all beasts they want, but at some point the idea of challenger privileges got twisted.

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 02:58:04 AM »

that's weird since I just repeated what you said to challengers almost Word for Word back to you.

Because it was never supposed to be an ic hunt. I want them to be ooc again. You fight for it and if you lose it once your rp is done you claim it is gone.

And if they do take it to the forum and are obviously full of it the bijuu council would strike it down.

Warren

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 03:08:02 AM »

Then one or the other has to go.

If IC is completely gone, then its just OOC, you take any and all challenges no matter what, and the fights don't impact RP at all outside of who has the beast. Only reason for declining I can see is if the challenger has shown to repeatedly be a godmodder or something.

One problem with OOC though I can foresee, is someone trying to combine both anyway to abuse it, hunt someone down, demand your OOC fight, then if they win try kill them too to add insult to injury.

If IC is to stay, then the 100% guaranteed success has to go.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 03:13:58 AM by Warren »

UettoSenju

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 03:36:17 AM »

If I may ask what is the point of the IC hunt system?

Really it makes no sense at all. I am not saying that there should not be guidelines to hunting rp wise but this IC hunt system is so flaud.

I look at it like this. It makes no rp sense to have this system. For example what is stopping me from just never stating a challenge to a host and going into the village befriending them, waiting for the right moment, and then stealing their beast through rp?

You can not deny me that fact that I have done this rp wise. It has been carried out in rp. No matter what rules we make they can not limit rp. I feel strongly on that.

I think should be a clear flaw in the system.

The whole challenger idea and follow a gmed event for it is not needed in my thoughts. It is attempts to go beyond that of buji rules to ruling how rp should be done.

Warren

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 03:47:21 AM »

The point is that if someone wanted to hunt a host IC, they would have to do it like you just said, actual IC actions. OOC would have no part in it.

The point where challenges are separated from regular RP, is where it turns into 1v1, and host may opt out of character death should they lose if agreement is made.

If its not a challenge, then while you and your pals may all try gang up on the host, the host and whole village may in turn gang up on you too.

Mei

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 04:09:51 AM »

If what Bocc said is true that the IC hunt system has failed 9 out of 10 times, why are people fighting for this?

The bijuu owners don't want to GM the hunt, however want to limit your abilities to finding them. There are advantages to GMing the hunt by the way. Make it into a RP where the challenger have to defeat a person who definitely knows who it is but they have to subdue the person without (instantly) killing them. Or you can GM the hunt to make it interwine with your current RP. If your RP happens to have allies on your side, then it won't be easy for the challenger. Of course, if you always have allies by your side, then it's not fair.

I think some of you don't know how mysteries always starts off. It always start with some suspects and some clues. Yet you want the challengers to start off with nothing.

If you want a successful IC hunt, then provide guidelines/walk-through for one, from start to finish. Make it a template for all to follow. I propose someone make one designed to find oneself and modify it in such a way that others can use to find other jinks, current and future. Post it here, voice your opinions, make final edits, and then put a stamp on it. I would prefer that someone to be a Jink who is an IC hunt supporter, otherwise the IC hunt system will be abolished.

Warren

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 04:26:40 AM »

You're twisting my words.

I don't want to GM a hunt if the hunter absolutely has to succeed no matter what and its on me if they don't. There are no advantages to GMing something like that at all, only difference from just skipping straight into the fight is that they get hand-fed info they would never learn (if it even exists in that form to begin with) otherwise through their methods, they still infallibly get their fight in the end both ways anyway because 'challenger'.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 04:29:02 AM by Warren »

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 04:43:59 AM »

So Far to my knowledge we don't have an IC hunt rule set in place. So what I proposed was just spit balling some ideas.

Guaranteed success during the hunt seems to be objectionable on the grounds that it is CC-ing RP.

I think the problems of IC hunting are no more numerous than IC attacking a village. To view the bijuu as just another RP goal should mean that it is possible to do given certain parameters.

Perhaps a better question to ask is, should the bijuu be treated differently in RP than any other goal?

Mei

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 05:38:13 AM »

I think a better question to ask is, should there be any IC hunts?
And it's looking like 'no'. >.>

Bocchiere

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 05:41:07 AM »

I think a better question to ask is, should there be any IC hunts?
And it's looking like 'no'. >.>

A definite no.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 06:34:36 AM »

... should the bijuu be treated differently in RP than any other goal?

I don't want to say obviously since we are having so many issues and discussions over it (village battles never got this kind of attention), but definitely the biju should be treated differently. They ARE being treated differently.

... I proposed the host having to GM the hunt section to the conclusion that the hunter finds the host...

We already tried something similar to that in the old system (albeit, the host did not explicitly GM anything), even if it was not spelled out as well. Presuming we have proper enforcement the old IC hunt system is basically just being resurrected in a shiny new body (like, edo tensei, old soul new body kind of thing).

... If what Bocc said is true that the IC hunt system has failed 9 out of 10 times, why are people fighting for this?

Because the IC hunt system is a symptom of the sicknesses of:

A) Lack of enforcement of rules

B) Lack of standardization for biju RP

B is a serious sickness when all else is standardized to some degree.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Court

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 05:46:51 AM »

OOC seems better. I didn't seem to mind OOC, still don't, even if my preferences confused everyone to hell and back -- but I did say it was a wip, I think, so, idk.

Page created in 1.074 seconds with 19 queries.