Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ever wondered if your ideas have been talked about in the forum already? Well, try out the "search" option, where all your questions can be answered.

Author Topic: Hijacking an opponents jutsu. Y/N?  (Read 2173 times)

Hazama

• View Profile
Hijacking an opponents jutsu. Y/N?
« on: December 28, 2016, 09:10:18 PM »

So this just came up in my fight with Trev though I was actually already thinking about it beforehand. Can you hijack a jutsu your opponent is already controlling?

As an example in the fight Trev and I are having I use Steel Release to make a golem, he turns into Steel with Assimilate All Creation, which also allows you to control the substance you changed into at will, and then uses it to turn my golem into steel powder.

Now logically that makes sense and I understand it but should we let people do this?

Personally I think no because it's really unfun. It would make all 5 basic elements useless since everyone could just go, oh I use my fire Release to dispel your fireball, etc. and Assimilate All Creation would be super buffed since it would make you immune to basically every elemental KG on top of the 5 basic which most people claim.

What do we think?
I don't always make sense, but that's kind of the point.

Raifudo Oppa

• ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
    • View Profile
Re: Hijacking an opponents jutsu. Y/N?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 11:23:05 PM »

In all honesty, to an extent, I think investing chakra into an opponent's jutsu should warrant control over it if the chakra is the same nature and greater than the original input. Mechanically, it's sound. However, with the way things run on this site: it's not doable.

If we retain AAC Tech., then we need to make it so there's a cool down to release your change and a cool down before you can assimilate again. Else, like you said, people can simply assimilate any attack and ignore it, thus becoming un-fun itself.

Trev

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 12:17:19 AM »

Is this an attempt to make me repost or just a general discussion?

Anyway, you shouldn't be able to to control other people's jutsu at will. Like someone shooting a fireball at you and you suddenly reverse it.

However, the Assimilate All Creation Tech allows for that, which is why it is a specialized claimed jutsu, and yes I will admit op. I hijacked your tech in a way, but I technically destroyed it first. An outright hijack would have been me claiming to control the golem.

I suppose some rules could be put into place on it. Although it already has one inherent weakness especially with kg. I took the calculated risk of absorbing a substance I don't really know about IC and OOC. Athos has already said his steel release works more like a magnet/general metal release. Meaning you can potentially make my counter attack useless by controlling it in powder form thus negating it.

So basically, you know the strengths and weaknesses of your own techs, and I do not. So that's one inherent disadvantage of absorbing an unknown substance. So I guess a cooldown rule could be put into place to nerf it, but it's inherent ability to control other substances is what makes this jutsu a special one, and one on the claimed list. Like any claimed jutsu, it has op elements.
Don't say f*ck any more because f*ck is the worst word that you can say

So just use the word mmmkay!

Hazama

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 04:40:13 AM »

Not at all Trev, we're agreed on how it will work for our fight.

This topic isn't really about just Assimilate. I originally thought of this happening between something like my Steel Release and a Magnet Release user.

I mean we definitely could stand to make a rule for Assimilate if people are going to claim to be able to instantly transform into anything that touches them and then negate it.
I don't always make sense, but that's kind of the point.

Trev

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 04:56:55 AM »

Not at all Trev, we're agreed on how it will work for our fight.

This topic isn't really about just Assimilate. I originally thought of this happening between something like my Steel Release and a Magnet Release user.

I mean we definitely could stand to make a rule for Assimilate if people are going to claim to be able to instantly transform into anything that touches them and then negate it.

Thought so, just wanted to ask!

Yeah, but in general you can't hijack someone's tech just because you control the same element. Like stopping ice from skewering you since both users have ice release.

But for special circumstances like my tech or the situation you propose. It gets a little iffy. The Assimilate tech could use some nerfs, so that's debatable. But as for a Magnet Release vs Steel Release, I'd allow it. Some fights in the series and in SL the fight is very uneven. Not from a skill position, but a matchup.

Like when Deidara fought Sasuke, one of the few things his techs were weak to was lightning, he didn't inherently lose because of skill. Same with a steel v. magnet. The Steel Release user just unfortunately picked his worst possible match up. Same thing with Kimi and Gaara, the one person Gaara couldn't crush.

So in my opinion, it shouldn't be allowed unless their is some specialized trait going on, like the Assimilation Tech, or the extremely rare occurrence of a Magnet Release user running into a Steel Release.

As for Assimilate, well that's a topic for another thread for nerfs.
Don't say f*ck any more because f*ck is the worst word that you can say

So just use the word mmmkay!

Dart Terumī

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 07:16:38 AM »

No, not normally can this happen.

The only way to manipulate someone else's techs is the Assimilate All Creation Technique which, as Trev explained already, is a limited tech that only few know and teach.

Vail

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 01:16:30 AM »

Even if you have AAC, you can't simply hijack EVERY elemental technique that someone sends your way. The way Trev did it was very impressive. Seriously, bro, I commend you for that because that was slick, haha.

But I imagine that the reason Trev (or any other AAC user) would be able to do that in that instance is because there's a relatively large amount of time in which he could transform into the element, then take control over it, and then redirects it as his own attack. That takes time.

Now if I were to say, launch a Kirin attack at Trev, I don't think the same thing would happen. Why? Just look at the brevity of the attack itself. It's an attack wherein, arguably the moment a person is touched by it, they're dead. The amount of energy/damage output per unit of time is such that the person using AAC likely wouldn't be able to turn into it, assume control, and redirect it before their either dead or the attack itself concludes.

Anyone following me here?

KayentaMoenkopi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 05:11:53 AM »

Interesting notion. It is way OP. Still, as most things are these days I do not see how Trev having this and using it is different from another person using a different OP jutsu.

There is not a good way to moderate the use of these techs in combat other than player agreement. Which is a very good reason to speak politely and cultivate good relationships among the player base. A person is much more likely to give concessions to another if they know that in return some will be conceded right back.

There were times when I have rp'd with others and elemental control of a jutsu was taken over either by myself or my opponent. These things are easier to calculate when all the characters do not have a mastery level in everything there is to do.

You can look at over all skill. George's main element is water, Clara's is earth. She uses a suiton attack, he infused it with his own chakra and wrests control away. Naturally as someone who is more attuned to water and perhaps with stronger chakra manipulation abilities...George should be able to do this, like once? Not every time in the entire match. But it should cost too. Not just be an instant one post success.

I hope you see where I am going with this. Right now we have a system where the RPers are all opponents, rather than partners in creating a story. When you approach RP as 'me against everyone'...then naturally there is no room for compromise. Instead, it is much more enjoyable to look at anyone you engage in RP as your partner for the RP. The two of you have to collaborate and plot a little bit. What do you get out of it? Another item for your collection, or instead character progression?

For instance...what does my character need to work on in order to grow? Currently Kayenta does really care about the world, and this is a huge crisis in her story line...her persona, as a woman of passion and a general care taker. A goal to an rp with her might be, finding motivation to care and contribute to the greater good again. Who could she RP with and gain progress in that area? What would I expect to gain from the RP? What can the other player expect to gain from the RP for their character?

I would like to see SL move toward character progression and growth rather than the collecting of items and powers. More collaborative RPs where you have RP partners rather than opponents.

Does this mean fighting can't provide that? Not in the least. Kay might get her ass kicked royal in a match and be forced to confront some pretty dark issue depending on how well myself and the RP partner plot the encounter.

Kage

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 11:33:55 PM »

Take this example with Wood Release.

Manipulating already-existent trees with your chakra is entirely possible. When two people try to manipulate the same wood with their chakra, then it should become some sort of tug-of-war. But controlling wood made from a person's body shouldn't be entirely controllable by another, unless there is consent given.

Take Jiraiya and Pain's fight for example. When Jiraiya uses Sage Art: Goemon, the Preta Path ate up all the produced Fire, Oil and Wind combination. Jiraiya, Shima, and Fukasaku created those elements from their own chakra, and since the Preta Path absorbs chakra, it by definition had the ability to overtake the technique by absorbing it.

Assimilate All Creation Technique supersedes the first example and automatically wins the tug-of-war battle. But in the way that it is used against Steel Release would be situational. If the golem was formed from already-existing steel, then AACT would be used as normal. But if it was created from someone's chakra, then it becomes complicated. Does this mean that Trev now has control over Athos' golem and chakra, or just Athos' golem?

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 19 queries.