Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ever wondered if your ideas have been talked about in the forum already? Well, try out the "search" option, where all your questions can be answered.

Author Topic: Any martial artists?  (Read 2013 times)

Vail

• View Profile
Any martial artists?
« on: January 05, 2017, 09:07:14 PM »

Any boxers, judokas, jiu-jiteiros, etc here? If so, what do (or did) you train in and for how long? And what rank are you currently or what was your last rank when you did train?

Edit: I forgot to actually say what I've trained in. :P

I started in Tae Kwon Do when I was like four. I ended up doing that until I was around 10 or 11. I can't actually remember the belt just prior but I stopped before getting my brown belt. After that I trained with my dad and cousin, both of which have an extensive background in boxing, karate and some other martial arts. That lasted until I got to high school and I started training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

I've been doing that ever since and I'm a blue belt. Actually just got back from practice about an hour ago.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 04:30:19 AM by Vail »

Raifudo Oppa

• ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
    • View Profile
Re: Any martial artists?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 12:57:32 AM »

Five years of Hapkido. Got to 1st Gup (Red belt w/ black stripe) and passed my exam to 1st Dan (black belt) but never paid for the belt/certificate so I never received it.

So I'm technically a 1st Dan, but was a broke kid at the time.

Vail

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 04:26:03 AM »

Five years of Hapkido. Got to 1st Gup (Red belt w/ black stripe) and passed my exam to 1st Dan (black belt) but never paid for the belt/certificate so I never received it.

Nice, man! I actually don't know that much about Hapkido in particular. It's related to Aikido, isn't it?   And I can relate. Not too long ago I had to put jiu jitsu on the bench because I could afford to go.

Hades

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 10:24:10 PM »

Did something like eight years of Tae Kwon Do / Tong Soo Do at a Korean temple. Got to 1st Dan and then left with a bunch of the other black belts when we got to the point that other things in life needed to take priority and we didn't have enough time to dedicate moving up any farther. Got to do a lot of special weapons training, which was really cool.

Vail

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 12:52:06 AM »

Did something like eight years of Tae Kwon Do / Tong Soo Do at a Korean temple. Got to 1st Dan and then left with a bunch of the other black belts when we got to the point that other things in life needed to take priority and we didn't have enough time to dedicate moving up any farther. Got to do a lot of special weapons training, which was really cool.

That's cool. A close friend of mine actually trained in Tang Soo Do. You ever think about joining another art?

UettoSenju

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 06:19:56 AM »

I'll admit I'm jealous. I always wanted to train in some form of martial arts but never got to living out in the middle of no where.

You guys are so lucky.

I would consider myself to be a rather good street fighter though lol. I have been in countless school yard, locker room, party, bar room brawls. It's what got me kicked out of public school systems in 7th grade.

Raifudo Oppa

• ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 05:01:31 PM »

Nice, man! I actually don't know that much about Hapkido in particular. It's related to Aikido, isn't it?   And I can relate. Not too long ago I had to put jiu jitsu on the bench because I could afford to go.

Sort of. Same roots (Daito Ryu). They both use the principles of "circular motion". Throws and locks are the same. They also have the same meaning, which is essentially "harmonious way".

I've sparred against two Aikido students before. It was very odd considering our movements were similar and how we followed-up to different situations were about the same as well. The only difference between the two students and myself, that I noticed, was I was much more aggressive in the sense that kicks were not included in their arsenal and they were more grounded than I was when it came to stances (lowered, much more considerate of the defensive principal of HKD).

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 19 queries.