Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please report outages in the thread "messages/server outages", Thanks.

Author Topic: How do people talk when everyone moves so fast?  (Read 2275 times)

Becquerel

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
How do people talk when everyone moves so fast?
« on: January 21, 2017, 10:18:14 AM »

Since people are moving at split-second speeds in this game, you ever wonder how people manage to talk and say things during fights? I mean, wouldn't it all kind of sound like this? https://youtu.be/E6iN6VTL7v8?t=5m19s
Just kind of came to mind while watching this video and thought it would be pretty funny in the context of SL lol Pretty much everything would pretty much happen at that pace with people's current speeds. Anime sure is funny.
100 push ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10km running every single day.

Ѕhadow

• Roleplay Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How do people talk when everyone moves so fast?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 10:31:02 AM »

No doubt. I don't like stacking techs to begin with. It's so OP.

Probably never thought about it in that context.
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Vail

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 02:35:09 PM »

If they can process other information while moving at these speeds, it goes without saying that their brains would be used to decoding auditory information while moving that quickly as well.

Becquerel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 03:20:16 PM »

But no matter how fast your brain can process something or your ears can hear something, when you're speaking at those speeds there's nothing you can do about making your voice/words not sound like that lol

It's just silly and one of those anime things that don't make sense, like when someone can get stabbed and then do a whole long monologue while blood is squirting out everywhere. :P

Off topic, but this made me laugh and is related to distorted voices https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHchmWsrfUo

Vail

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 04:26:11 PM »

I think you're misunderstanding how auditory processing works in the brain, but no matter.

Lol dude my grandparents used to have one of those trouts when I was a kid. That's funny.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 06:05:19 PM »

Dem strong lip muscles moving rapidly, but when moving faster than the speed of sound itself,  it can be kind of weird to talk to the opponent your rushing when parts of the sentence wouldn't even reach them before your fist does. Then of course they move even faster and can basically run away from your monologuing...

:) There should be a spoof fight with people running away from monlogues.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Becquerel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 02:24:38 AM »

You're talking about how the brain can interpret sounds into things, right? But still if your words are, like Eric said "moving faster than the speed of sound", then it's going to lose whatever cohesion and structure it had as a language.

Like this! :) https://youtu.be/Wbr3SU0pmqc

Vail

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 04:11:06 AM »

Relative speed, folks.

"But no matter how fast your brain can process something or your ears can hear something, when you're speaking at those speeds there's nothing you can do about making your voice/words not sound like that lol"

That's not how it works. If someone is coming toward me at a speed faster than the speed of sound, say Mach 2, their words are still going to come toward me at the speed of sound. Meaning the sound of that person's voice would arrive after they reach me. The sound of their words isn't going to be moving any faster than the speed of sound.

Now let's say that shinobi somehow learn how to speak faster than they normally would to mitigate this (which is impossible, but whatever). Because their brains are plastic, their auditory cortices would acclimate to processing speech that occurs at a higher rate than what they were normally used to.

It's the same reason why if you hear a song where someone is speed rapping, you won't be able to understand them at first. But if you repeatedly listen to it, and even read the lyrics, it becomes easier to understand it over time despite the rate at which the words are spoken not changing at all.

It's related to why someone speaking a different language sounds like their speaking very quickly. In that case, the average information density per syllable and the number of syllables spoken per second is different than what you're used to, so your brain doesn't know how to break the syllables into meaningful fragments and it comes out as gibberish.

But that changes once you learn the language.

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 04:53:33 AM »

Relative speed, folks...

My physics teacher has come this far to remind me to get back to doing homework... *sigh*

Yeah, the related, more basic problem being that of squid ejecting water to propel itself, depending on the frame of reference, the jet of water is either going as fast as its jettison (still frame) or even faster away (squid's frame). Since sound does not travel in a straight lin but more wave-like (in a spread out fashion) it makes sense that the words could reach the intended target before the speaker.  * To be clear, this was the HW problem I thought of when I read your post *

Anyways, the idea of a speeding bullet hitting its target before the sound of the rifle that fired it is the idea in my head when talking of there being a discrepency between speaker and sound reaching intended target. But then again, that would have to be faster than the speed of sound (which in SL is very much possible) so couldn't you overtake your own monologue at some point?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 04:53:59 AM by Eric »
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Teostra

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 06:03:08 AM »

All this sounds like is that some people are in dire need of some wedgies.

Most SL RPers these days - http://postimg.org/image/o2621ldd9/

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 20 queries.