Roleplay > Village Square

Instant Negation of Genjutsu

(1/5) > >>

Vail:
Hey everyone,

Hope you're having a good day / night. If not, I hope it gets better for you!

Now, this is something I've seen happen in quite a few fights on SL. Player A casts a genjutsu. Player B  not only notices that they've been caught in a genjutsu, but also dispels said genjutsu all in a span of time that's effectively instantaneous.

Here's a recent example of this (with name's redacted because I don't want to be that guy): "Thankfully she had her doujtusu active! Once ___’s genjutsu was cast, ____ was able to see through it and break it nearly as quickly as it was developed."

"Nearly as quickly as it was developed". That kind of thing comes off as incredibly cheap to me, even with Dojutsu. Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the canon show that even Sharingan users had to take SOME time (enough time for an opponent to potentially capitalize on them being under a genjutsu) in order to dispel / reverse a genjutsu?

An example that comes to mind is when Kurenai and Itachi fought: Skip to 3:40. Itachi is a master with the sharingan, and yet nearly 2 dozen seconds passed before he reversed the genjutsu on Kurenai. I suppose one could argue that he chose to wait that long, but why would he do that instead of just reversing it as quickly as he could?

That aside, the point I'm making is that people shouldn't be allowed to just insta-break genjutsu because it reduces genjutsu to a meaningless aspect of the game. The only scenario that I can think of in which it'd be acceptable to do that is if I have EMS and a novice with no dojutsu tries to cast a genjutsu on me. But this insta-breaking of genjutsu definitely shouldn't be happening with "high level" people or people who both have dojutsu that make them more adept at genjutsu.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we may mitigate this?

Timothy:
I've dealt with this dilemma several times myself. As much fun as it would be to trap someone within an illusion of sorts for several turns in a fight, I've ultimately resorted to minor sensory genjutsus which can help Tomi get out of a jam, IE, misdirect where his location is and yada yada. But like you said, people will often instant claim to get out of it or just 'don't look into the eyes' which the latter is a fair tactic against ocular types. If you noticed, even Sasuke when fighting Itachi before Tsukiyomi was active, often dealt with the crow dispersal genjutsu of Itachi's for evasion despite both of them having the Sharingan active. From what I've read, the main reason the sharingan can detect genjutsu so easily is because the fact it can see the several flaws projected by an illusion to notice there's something wrong with the picture, then check their own chakra network, yada yada. Weaker genjutsu which doesn't alter the scenery too much, thus has less flaws to detect is more likely to go undetected until after the fact by this logic.

Vail:

--- Quote from: Timothy on March 11, 2017, 10:34:40 PM ---I've dealt with this dilemma several times myself. As much fun as it would be to trap someone within an illusion of sorts for several turns in a fight, I've ultimately resorted to minor sensory genjutsus which can help Tomi get out of a jam, IE, misdirect where his location is and yada yada. But like you said, people will often instant claim to get out of it or just 'don't look into the eyes' which the latter is a fair tactic against ocular types. If you noticed, even Sasuke when fighting Itachi before Tsukiyomi was active, often dealt with the crow dispersal genjutsu of Itachi's for evasion despite both of them having the Sharingan active. From what I've read, the main reason the sharingan can detect genjutsu so easily is because the fact it can see the several flaws projected by an illusion to notice there's something wrong with the picture, then check their own chakra network, yada yada. Weaker genjutsu which doesn't alter the scenery too much, thus has less flaws to detect is more likely to go undetected until after the fact by this logic.

--- End quote ---

Good point with the Sasuke and Itachi thing. Sasuke had his sharingan active and still had no idea that Itachi had cast a genjutsu on him.

I think you have it backward, though. A stronger genjutsu has less perceivable flaws.

Ѕhadow:
I'll just add a little note. You can't instantly detect and negate genjutsu. Takes some time.

Timothy:

--- Quote from: Vail on March 11, 2017, 10:39:56 PM ---
--- Quote from: Timothy on March 11, 2017, 10:34:40 PM ---I've dealt with this dilemma several times myself. As much fun as it would be to trap someone within an illusion of sorts for several turns in a fight, I've ultimately resorted to minor sensory genjutsus which can help Tomi get out of a jam, IE, misdirect where his location is and yada yada. But like you said, people will often instant claim to get out of it or just 'don't look into the eyes' which the latter is a fair tactic against ocular types. If you noticed, even Sasuke when fighting Itachi before Tsukiyomi was active, often dealt with the crow dispersal genjutsu of Itachi's for evasion despite both of them having the Sharingan active. From what I've read, the main reason the sharingan can detect genjutsu so easily is because the fact it can see the several flaws projected by an illusion to notice there's something wrong with the picture, then check their own chakra network, yada yada. Weaker genjutsu which doesn't alter the scenery too much, thus has less flaws to detect is more likely to go undetected until after the fact by this logic.

--- End quote ---

Good point with the Sasuke and Itachi thing. Sasuke had his sharingan active and still had no idea that Itachi had cast a genjutsu on him.

I think you have it backward, though. A stronger genjutsu has less perceivable flaws.

--- End quote ---

Hmm, guess I did word that a little wrong. By 'weak' I meant genjutsu which doesn't alter scenery too much ie small scale. I was suggesting large scale genjutsus which alter more of the senses with various hallucinations are more likely to have more flaws which can be detected.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version