Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please petition corrupted/Badnavs in game, nothing can be done from the forums.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Alternate Energy Sources  (Read 6241 times)

Timothy

• View Profile
    • Shinobi Legends Biography
Alternate Energy Sources
« on: May 26, 2017, 03:32:20 AM »

Natural, Demonic, Gelel, etc.

How should alternate energy sources on their own be treated in Role-Play within Shinobi Legends? What do you think Natural energy on its own be capable of, what limits/guide lines should it possess? What about Demonic Energy? Will you argue one fan-made demon's energy is more powerful than another's? Or should they all have a sorta 'base level'?

Mind you, some people use demonic energy to mix into their chakra as an alternate Sage Mode to give it the 3rd energy mixture to achieve the same feats (Personally I find this interesting). But what about those energies on their own?

I ask as to start a discussion and to hopefully come with some guidelines our Role-Players can follow which the majority of people here can agree to without those who use them feeling restricted while simultaneously preventing some of the abuse we might see with these ill defined sources for techniques. Are they as powerful as normal chakra, more superior? What happens when a pure natural or demonic energy attack comes into contact with a chakra based jutsu?

Let us discuss and elaborate in this thread, all are encouraged to give their thoughts.

Every life has meaning, never lose sight of that.

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
Re: Alternate Energy Sources
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 12:52:58 PM »

Been looking at Jay's profile? :P

We don't need to quantify everything on SL. As long as it's not the mainstream meta then I say leave it be. Not many people actually use these energies enough for us to have to impose guidelines about it.

If you rp with someone who uses these powers then it's up to you and them to decide the limit of their abilities and if you don't agree then you don't rp. Simple as that.
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Timothy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 02:43:38 PM »

I prefer things streamlined in some way. What if an argument happens in a tailed beast match where such an energy is allowed and said person does quite well with it but the person using chakra starts an argument as to why their energy shouldn't have this effect on their attack?

I think a few guidelines could help against such. Not enough to make people feel restricted creatively, but enough to give people an idea what they're working with. If nothing else, this thread might encourage those who have said claims to define their mechanics more so which could prove an interesting read.

Warren

• Site Staff (Game Master)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 03:26:36 PM »

You're supposed to settle that stuff before the match. If you were told they got some special power and you let them use it without settling everything back then, then if memory serves according to the rules you're SOL if whatever argument arises.

I'm with Shadow here. There's already an ungodly amount of rules and regulations and other nonsense for way too many things, demonic and other stuff is so rarely used/niche that its better dealt with case by case rather than trying to bog it down too. I mean do we really want another "my multiplier is bigger than yours" contest?

I can tell you I for one, as well as number of others I know who do these "alternative sources", do not.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 03:31:38 PM by Warren »

Becquerel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 04:20:12 PM »

I just figure that all alternate energy sources are equal to chakra. So Ki = Chakra = Demonic Energy = Etc...So any clashes should just end up like two normal things. I'm with the other's on the rule thing too. All the quantifying that goes on is something that really puts a black hole next to the fun for me, so I just try to go with the flow...But at the same time, when I see something I don't really agree with then I just decide that I won't RP with that person :) I might try a little bit to work with them, but I do put my foot down occasionally when it comes to what I accept and what I don't.
100 push ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and 10km running every single day.

Camel

• Global Moderator
  • 01010100 01100001 01100011 01101111 01110011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 04:22:31 PM »

Usually when I see something in roleplay that doesn't make sense, I inquire about it and see if I can get a logical explanation to what I was asking about. More than fifty percent of the time, I'll get an explanation that will clear things up for and I'll move on from there. But if I get an explanation that doesn't make sense, like in Timothy's case. I'll begin to question how these natural energy sources can be used without any repercussion to the user and vice-versa.

Everyone is iffy about regulations and rules, but had those same rules and regulations had not exist. You would've had Edo Tensei zombies doing Kage Bunshin or players making use of Hiraishin in one turn. Without these restrictions, you would have ungodly players abusing loopholes up to the point that they would literally suck the fun out of zone fighting.

In the end, I am certain if something becomes more of an issue to just one player. Some sort of rule or regulation will be proposed, but until then like Shadow said. If you don't like how they play, don't bother role-playing with them or just to work out something where you both Nerf each other down to an acceptable level.

Another thing that I don't get is the whole multiplier stack and the reason being is because we only have little canon knowledge to what ability that gives you this multiplier. It would be nice in the future to make a list, so we *all* know that your custom abilities give you an additional +/- multiplier. 

Timothy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 05:39:09 PM »

I personally wouldn't mind just saying the alternate source of energy unless specified otherwise as  Becquerel said is equal to normal chakra in terms of power and elemental affinity. Like say you use a lightning demon blast, wind chakra would still be able to deflect it if both techs were of reasonable equal strength.

Gyururu and I kinda had this discussion when she was thinking up her Fox Magic fire which would of used a demon fox's energy to create the fire. What happens when it comes up against Amaterasu?

Even if ultimately no guidelines or regulations are deemed desired by the community, I still suggest those who dab in these alternate sources consider the scenarios of such. If your demonic energy fire is going to surpass Amaterasu and say engulf it like Amaterasu can do to normal Fire Release, how does it do it? Does it require more of the demonic energy to be used than is currently in the Amaterasu's flames to do such in your classic energy tug-a-war kamehameha versus kamehameha deal? Does it have some special property which attempts to weaken other energies for some reason?

Consider those things ahead of time~

Jestar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 01:47:12 AM »

Isn't all chakra demon chakra since chakra first came from a demon tree?
Death and Taxes. Lots of Death and Taxes.

Timothy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 05:29:26 AM »

Chakra came from the God Tree's fruit. God Tree itself was said to contain an immense amount of natural energy and only Senjutsu attacks could harm it.

Becquerel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 03:55:45 PM »

Even if ultimately no guidelines or regulations are deemed desired by the community, I still suggest those who dab in these alternate sources consider the scenarios of such. If your demonic energy fire is going to surpass Amaterasu and say engulf it like Amaterasu can do to normal Fire Release, how does it do it? Does it require more of the demonic energy to be used than is currently in the Amaterasu's flames to do such in your classic energy tug-a-war kamehameha versus kamehameha deal? Does it have some special property which attempts to weaken other energies for some reason?

Why not just do whatever makes most sense in regards to whatever story you have in mind? :)
Unless you're talking about 'competitive', because then I have no idea nor care lol
And as for me, I kind of have magic kind of rated as its own thing compared to chakra. Same with spiritual stuff because it only makes sense to me. But then again, I've only RPd with two characters who use magic and one was Hobbygobby who gave Bec a tool to utilize magic. But Bec's still studying that one :P

JayJay

• Who the flip is Jay!?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 12:52:06 AM »

Been looking at Jay's profile? :P

We don't need to quantify everything on SL. As long as it's not the mainstream meta then I say leave it be. Not many people actually use these energies enough for us to have to impose guidelines about it.

If you rp with someone who uses these powers then it's up to you and them to decide the limit of their abilities and if you don't agree then you don't rp. Simple as that.

Ultimately the cause of the thread, whether you want to agree or not.

I just figure that all alternate energy sources are equal to chakra. So Ki = Chakra = Demonic Energy = Etc...So any clashes should just end up like two normal things. I'm with the other's on the rule thing too. All the quantifying that goes on is something that really puts a black hole next to the fun for me, so I just try to go with the flow...But at the same time, when I see something I don't really agree with then I just decide that I won't RP with that person :) I might try a little bit to work with them, but I do put my foot down occasionally when it comes to what I accept and what I don't.

Pretty much what I've been going by, except I personally see Ki as physical (Body) energy (in terms of the Naruto verse) thus techniques with only that energy are technically 50% of chakra, with the same for techniques that only use spiritual (Mind) energy.

Chakra came from the God Tree's fruit. God Tree itself was said to contain an immense amount of natural energy and only Senjutsu attacks could harm it.

I see pure natural energy to be equal to chakra because of this, so... no arguing here.

And soul manipulation, that's about 25% stronger than chakra (when used alongside the chakra), because of how raw it is. By itself, it simply depends on the technique used with it to determine the strength of it, like ordinary chakra. Magic is pretty much the same thing, dependent on how much magical energy is made to combat against the chakra.

If they stand behind you, give them Protection.
If they stand besides you, give them Respect.
If they stand against you, SHOW NO MERCY!

Ѕhadow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 01:31:13 AM »

I'm going to start using Nuclear energy.
I'm going to agree with you on some things and disagree with you on some things.

Something that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Becquerel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 01:49:00 AM »

Bec could hook you up with that :P

And I still don't understand how people can quantify abstract concepts lol

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 03:11:25 AM »

Mathematicians and engineers lurk these here realms. It is clear.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Vail

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 05:19:56 AM »

Mathematicians and engineers lurk these here realms. It is clear.

Don't forget physicists *laughs maniacally*
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.