Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New members: you need admin approval, please petition *in game* if you made an account. :)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help me find new anime  (Read 2588 times)

atomkai

• View Profile
Help me find new anime
« on: September 17, 2008, 07:02:29 AM »

Preface:  This will be a rambling rant.  I am not judging other people's tastes, only stating mine.

Okay, during the evolution of the "Battle of the Anime" thread, I have been exposed to many titles I had never heard before.  I would like to explore some new titles, but I have to be very selective due to time constraints - I don't want to waste time on something I am unlikely to like.

That being said, here is what I do like (in no particular order):
  • Naruto (not the fillers)
  • Naruto: Shippuuden (not the fillers)
  • Naruto:  Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow
  • Akira
  • Ninja Scroll (not the series or sequels)
  • Ghost in the Shell (not the series or sequels)
  • Cowboy Bebop
  • Cowboy Bebop: The Movie
  • Samurai Champloo
  • Most (if not all) Hayou Miyazaki movies that I have seen (is this considered anime for the purpose of this discussion?)
  • Most (if not all) Makoto Shinkai movies that I have seen
  • Grave of the Fireflies

And here is what I do not like:
  • Dragon Ball (and all derivatives)
  • Yu Gi Oh (and all derivatives for similar reasons as DB)
  • Bleach (for the same reasons as above, though I have kind of soften my feeling towards it a bit)
  • Naruto & Shippuuden Fillers
  • All Naruto Movies (except the first one)

There are probably more that go on both lists, but this is what I recall at the moment.  As mentioned, I am not judging anyone else's tastes, just exposing mine.

The reasons *I THINK* for the divisions above: 

I like character development and exposition.  In fact, I require it.  The fight scenes could really be over in 10 minutes (if adequately explained) and I would be fine.  I do not need infinite power ups, ultimate moves, etc. 

I want an interesting story with interesting characters. 

I do not need any gratuitous violence or nudity.  I do not mind either, but excessive amounts and/or for gratuitous reasons is likely to be a deal breaker.

As a rule, I am not to big a fan of "Mecha".

I am currently struggling my way through NGE.  I am on Episode 7, and it is just starting to get remotely interesting, character wise.  The only reason I did not punch out sooner is a friend of mine, for whom I have immense respect, recommended it to me.

Here is what Amazon is recommending based on my ratings of some products and purchasing of others:

Ghost in the Shell:  SAC (Seasons 1 & 2)
FLCL
Ghost in the Shell: 2  Innocence
Paprika
Trigun
Kino's Journey
Pom Poko
Elfen Lied
Outlaw Star (I tried it once, and was not compelled)
Origin:  Spirits of the Past
Karas:  The Revelation
Full Metal Panic
Vexville
Planetes

Any advice on the above, or things not listed would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 07:05:37 AM by atomkai »

Camel

• Global Moderator
  • 01010100 01100001 01100011 01101111 01110011
    • View Profile
Re: Help me find new anime
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 11:29:28 PM »

- Rurouni Kenshin & The Samurai X movies
- FLCL
- Hellsing
- Trigun

These animes above are good and are worth a try.

Abysss

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 01:09:27 AM »

Death Note

Mihamaru

• Pssh! Ikki and Sora don't have **** on me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 01:31:57 AM »

I'd suggest Code Geass, but you said you don't like the mecha part.
On the other hand, you like character development, so you may like the way the main character's decent into madness is portrayed.

(S): >.>; Duuuuuude.. do you have Yuri?

(K) -_____________-; Ask Miha.. hes da Master! xD

Kotomi

• *Is currently wanting the Haibane Renmei dvds* .~.
    • View Profile
    • MySpace.... ~.~
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 01:49:12 AM »

Ghost in the Shell (often called GitS) is a sci-fi-y pollice thriller centered around Motoko Kusanagi, a member of the Japanese National Public Safety Commission, Section 9, which specializes in fighting technology-related crime.
She is capable of superhuman feats, as her body is almost completely mechanized; only her brain and a segment of her spinal cord are organic.
There are currently 52 episodes in all, and 3 movies.

Karas is a 6-episode oav that tells the story of Otoha, a former yakuza, living in a fictional version of Shinjuku, Tokyo which populated by humans and youkai (Japanese spirits). He is one of the karas- humans appointed as superpowered agents of the land.

The old Karas is dead, killed by an evil ex-Karas who now named himself Ekou. He started a series of murders against humanity by making his loyal youkai drain the body fluids from humans. Otoha ,a young man who just woke from a coma, is chosen to be the new Karas. Him and his trainer, Yurine, start the fight against the evil forces of darkness that are triyng to conquer the city of Shijuku.

Overall, it is a well animated show with no slow points (in 6 episodes, I am not sure if that is even possible).

Trailer

Elfen Lied is centered around the interactions and discrimination between humans and the Diclonius, a mutant species that appears similar to humans but has two cat-ear-like horns and "vectors" which are transparent arms that can pass through air and objects at high speed.

It is pretty dark, and has lots of gore and nudity... and I mean lots. 
If you are looking for a story that while it gives off a similar vibe it is less explicit, I would recommend watching Gunslinger Girl.

Gunslinger Girl revolves around the Social Welfare Agency, an institution sponsored by the Italian government. While it says that it aids the rehabilitation of the physically injured, it is actually a military organization specializing in counter-intelligence and counter-terrorism, using its injured patients as tools by giving them cybernetic implants and putting them through a brainwashing process known as "conditioning".

Both Elfen Lied and Gunslinger Girl have 13 episodes.

FLCL is a 6-episode anime about the interactions between Naota Nandaba, a twelve-year-old boy and the eccentric Haruko Haruhara, who arrives in the quiet suburb, drawn by the industrial town houses and the Medical Mechanica building.

Haibane Renmei is about Rakka, a newly hatched Haibane (a being resembling an angel with a halo and charcoal-coloured wings), and other characters in the city of Glie, which is a town surrounded by walls with a single gate through which only the mysterious group the Toga are allowed to enter or exit.
This anime is pretty surreal, and is rumored to be about purgatory.
Also, there is not a single fight scene in this 13-episode anime, as it is entirely character-driven.

Death Note is about Light Yagami, a high school student who discovers a supernatural notebook dropped on Earth by Ryuk, a shinigami ("death god"), that allows him to kill anyone by writing the victim's name in it. The story follows Light's attempt to create and rule a world cleansed of evil by using the notebook to kill criminals, and detective know as L who is trying to track down and arrest him.
This story's theme is on how power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Side Note: So, you've seen 5 Centimeters Per Second? What did you think of it?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 02:01:32 AM by Kotomi »

Quote from: Zapp Brannigan
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards...Checkmate."

atomkai

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 02:11:22 AM »

I'd suggest Code Geass, but you said you don't like the mecha part.
On the other hand, you like character development, so you may like the way the main character's decent into madness is portrayed.

I am not sure it is necessarily the mecha, or the way I have seen it utilized in the shows.  I want it to be seamless, where it is not really blatant.

atomkai

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 02:17:50 AM »

Ghost in the Shell (often called GitS) is a sci-fi-y pollice thriller centered around Motoko Kusanagi, a member of the Japanese National Public Safety Commission, Section 9, which specializes in fighting technology-related crime.
She is capable of superhuman feats, as her body is almost completely mechanized; only her brain and a segment of her spinal cord are organic.
There are currently 52 episodes in all, and 3 movies.

I have seen the first movie - I really like it.  How do the SACs and the other movies compare?

Karas is a 6-episode oav that tells the story of Otoha, a former yakuza, living in a fictional version of Shinjuku, Tokyo which populated by humans and youkai (Japanese spirits). He is one of the karas- humans appointed as superpowered agents of the land.

The old Karas is dead, killed by an evil ex-Karas who now named himself Ekou. He started a series of murders against humanity by making his loyal youkai drain the body fluids from humans. Otoha ,a young man who just woke from a coma, is chosen to be the new Karas. Him and his trainer, Yurine, start the fight against the evil forces of darkness that are triyng to conquer the city of Shijuku.

Overall, it is a well animated show with no slow points (in 6 episodes, I am not sure if that is even possible).

Trailer

I think I have seen Karas at Blockbuster, but now, Amazon is recommending Karas: The Revolution (or something along those lines).

Is this the first 6 episodes?

Elfen Lied is centered around the interactions and discrimination between humans and the Diclonius, a mutant species that appears similar to humans but has two cat-ear-like horns and "vectors" which are transparent arms that can pass through air and objects at high speed.

It is pretty dark, and has lots of gore and nudity... and I mean lots.

Violence and nudity do not offend me, but I do not "get" (or appreciate) gratuitous amounts of it.  I watch some sort of Elfen Lied video on YouTube - and it does not appear (based solely on that 5 minutes) that it is for me.

If you are looking for a story that while it gives off a similar vibe it is less explicit, I would recommend watching Gunslinger Girl.

Gunslinger Girl revolves around the Social Welfare Agency, an institution sponsored by the Italian government. While it says that it aids the rehabilitation of the physically injured, it is actually a military organization specializing in counter-intelligence and counter-terrorism, using its injured patients as tools by giving them cybernetic implants and putting them through a brainwashing process known as "conditioning".

Both Elfen Lied and Gunslinger Girl have 13 episodes.

I will look into this.  I like series that have a finite number of episodes. 

FLCL is a 6-episode anime about the interactions between Naota Nandaba, a twelve-year-old boy and the eccentric Haruko Haruhara, who arrives in the quiet suburb, drawn by the industrial town houses and the Medical Mechanica building.

Haibane Renmei is about Rakka, a newly hatched Haibane (a being resembling an angel with a halo and charcoal-coloured wings), and other characters in the city of Glie, which is a town surrounded by walls with a single gate through which only the mysterious group the Toga are allowed to enter or exit.
This anime is pretty surreal, and is rumored to be about purgatory.
Also, there is not a single fight scene in this 13-episode anime, as it is entirely character-driven.

So this is not a continuing series?  All 13 episodes are already done?

Death Note is about Light Yagami, a high school student who discovers a supernatural notebook dropped on Earth by Ryuk, a shinigami ("death god"), that allows him to kill anyone by writing the victim's name in it. The story follows Light's attempt to create and rule a world cleansed of evil by using the notebook to kill criminals, and detective know as L who is trying to track down and arrest him.
This story's theme is on how power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

This, too, is a finished series, correct?  I have heard good things about it.

Side Note: So, you've seen 5 Centimeters Per Second? What did you think of it?

I will let you know after my second viewing. 

atomkai

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 02:18:36 AM »

And thank you all for the recommendations!  Hellsing is one that has caught my eye in the past, but I never made time for it.

thecrazyanbu

• happy place
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 03:06:55 AM »

the boondocks is a pretty funny show done in an anime style and is based on the comic strip.but the N word is said repeatedly

and i remember hearing about this one anime called Afro Ninja which i heard was pretty good.but i havent seen it so i dont know much except that it seemed to be gory

and I heard some good things about berserker but once agian i havent seen it and it looked to have nudity and gore.

thats all i have right now.
shikkifujjin 
i refuse to spread it

i shall merely start it and continue on till i am bored
Hiro
"Your mom" jokes are like viruses. They die, but when they sense the right moment occurs, they come back to life and infect people.

doomstar

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 03:22:43 AM »

I thought that FLCL was 4 episodes long >>

Kotomi

• *Is currently wanting the Haibane Renmei dvds* .~.
    • View Profile
    • MySpace.... ~.~
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 03:30:14 AM »

I have seen the first movie - I really like it.  How do the SACs and the other movies compare?

SAC follows and alternate storyline from the first movie and its sequel, Innocence.
The series is a bit faster paced than the movies, with Solid State Society (another movie) taking place two years after the end of the 2nd season.

I think I have seen Karas at Blockbuster, but now, Amazon is recommending Karas: The Revolution (or something along those lines).

Is this the first 6 episodes?

That one (The Prophecy) is the first dvd, which contains three.
The Revelation is the second one, also containing three. =)

This
is a box set containing both. .~.

So this is not a continuing series?  All 13 episodes are already done?

It is continuous in that you have to watch the 13 episodes in order to understand it. xD
But, yeah, it stops at 13, as well.

This, too, is a finished series, correct?  I have heard good things about it.

Yes, both the anime and manga are finished (with the anime ending at 37 episodes).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 03:38:46 AM by Kotomi »

Quote from: Zapp Brannigan
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards...Checkmate."

AkatsukiUchihaStrife

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 03:37:04 AM »

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, maybe?

That is all.

Kisame

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 01:30:09 PM »

Samurai Deeper Kyo is a nice short anime consisting of 26 episodes which is good to watch  :cool:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 01:34:39 PM by Kisame »

Raifudo Oppa

• ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 04:29:26 PM »

browse through adult swim if you have that show, that's where i watched my anime's, along with tokyopop and some other websites >>

Baluski

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 05:57:29 PM »

I've only seen the first episode, but Blade of the Immortal looks to be a good one.
Everytime a thread is locked, a penguin dies.

Obey the moderator!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTLwiccIOxI
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.