Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New members: you need admin approval, please petition *in game* if you made an account. :)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Outlaw permanent Character Death  (Read 4788 times)

Eric

• View Profile
Outlaw permanent Character Death
« on: May 31, 2013, 02:30:27 PM »

The title states what I'm suggesting. Why not just outlaw the 'permanent' death of characters? Argueably that would make death less meaningful, but it would also make it less of a character control. There would need to be no RP reasons for returning to life. Just come back to life after a set amount of time.

Thoughts? Constructive would be a nice touch.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Akasaka Rakudo

Re: Outlaw permanent Character Death
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 04:01:20 PM »

It will sure be fun for jinchuriki, if you get someone persistent then you will have to fight them FOREVER. They could just kill themselves if you attempted to seal them since they just respawn. Sure you can make them wait 3 or 6 months but I wouldn't relish fighting the same person over and over ad infinitum till I lost.

I saw Kayenta saying before killing someone is character control, ok, well why not just make it a rule that states you have to ask them to be part of an rp where you are going to try and kill them? Then they don't have to accept. Essentially this IS the rule now with all the ways to revive yourself it is not hard to come back to life.

Ratatosk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 05:43:40 PM »

I was thinking so to prevent having to fight someone over and over like on a weekly basis, but not exclude one of RP for a long time. Make it so if someone wishes to not be permanently dead they will have to make it so they loses a good amount of their power when they were alive and have to regain it through hard work and training. In the case for fights for tailed beasts it will still be a while before they have have the strength RP wise to fight them again.

My suggestion is a 1 week waiting period for revival, and the 3-6 months to regain your power lost if you are able to.

Raifudo Oppa

• ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 06:47:21 PM »

Who even dies nowadays?

Snap

• "I'll take my clothes off, just for you. <3"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 07:59:19 PM »

Who even dies nowadays?

Exactly. Nobody on Shinobi Legends has the balls to kill off one of their characters. Particularly in a battle. I killed off my Rinnegan character before ragequitting from RPing here and I am quite satisfied of what I've done.

Trev

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 10:25:25 PM »

What Rakudo said. Just ask (Which is already a practice used) if you don't want your character to die, say no.
Don't say f*ck any more because f*ck is the worst word that you can say

So just use the word mmmkay!

Snap

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 10:37:25 PM »

What Rakudo said. Just ask (Which is already a practice used) if you don't want your character to die, say no.

But what about the Jinchurikis, eh? To be frank with you I find it pretty absurd and dull that the Jinchurikis on Shinobi Legends manages to survive getting their Biju extracted. The Bijus is at some point the Jinchurikis brains. When a human brain is dead — the person himself is technically dead, regardless if you are brain dead or not. I believe that when a Jinchuriki gets his or her's Biju extracted out of him or her, he or she should stay dead. Permanently.

Camel

• Global Moderator
  • 01010100 01100001 01100011 01101111 01110011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 10:49:13 PM »

Who even dies nowadays?

Exactly. Nobody on Shinobi Legends has the balls to kill off one of their characters. Particularly in a battle. I killed off my Rinnegan character before ragequitting from RPing here and I am quite satisfied of what I've done.

*raises hand*  :oops:

I killed off many of my characters then after I had no use for them or I didn't have time for them, I gave/sold them away. Why? It actually helps with plot development when you collaborate with another or many users.
One such case was with my Seven Mist Swordsman, Enishi.
I had a fight to the death with Kyu because he confronted me about my items and knowing Enishi's sense of honour, he would defend anything in his possession with his life including his country.
Eventually I blew myself up and Kyu managed to barely come out it with sever injuries and took what he wanted but he returned everything that was in Enishi's possessions back to Kirigakure.

This little event certainly got Kirigakure off their lazy buns and they continued with the settings from there.

I think in today's community no one really wants their character to die because of the hard work they put into it.
I still have to agree if you zone with PvP options available then you should be submitted to a reasonable and eventual character death when it comes to it.

Edit: This also should apply to Jichuuriki fights, OOC or not.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 10:50:16 PM by Camel »

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 04:13:38 AM »

Who even dies nowadays?

Not to mention the motivation for doing so is not present. Kamui apparently is among the exceptions and so are you Megumi, but most people find no reason to kill off their characters, much less gather the courage to actually go through with it.

We aren't too hyped about throwing away our chars, especially if what we were trying to build happens to die with us if you catch the drift.

*Edit:  The main problem isn't the fact that death is happening and people can't do anything about it; it's the fact that, as Rai joked, nobody really dies anymore. If Minato, Rin, all those people who died in the series, had still been alive, we'd have a very different plot.

Temporary character death, as already has been suggested by Ratatosk, is just as fine. I know, not all RP is fighting and such, but we have been having a very distinct lack of fighting on any large scale.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 04:16:28 AM by Eric »
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Snap

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 03:56:25 PM »

Who even dies nowadays?

Not to mention the motivation for doing so is not present. Kamui apparently is among the exceptions and so are you Megumi, but most people find no reason to kill off their characters, much less gather the courage to actually go through with it.

We aren't too hyped about throwing away our chars, especially if what we were trying to build happens to die with us if you catch the drift.

*Edit:  The main problem isn't the fact that death is happening and people can't do anything about it; it's the fact that, as Rai joked, nobody really dies anymore. If Minato, Rin, all those people who died in the series, had still been alive, we'd have a very different plot.

Temporary character death, as already has been suggested by Ratatosk, is just as fine. I know, not all RP is fighting and such, but we have been having a very distinct lack of fighting on any large scale.

I know people aren't really fond of killing off one of their characters seeing as they spend a lot of time and put a lot of effort working on their character's extended biography and such. But really, death, like in real life is inevitable. Shinobis aren't immortal beings, they are humans; limited beings. Your character, like every other person in real life is happy, sad, eating, sleeping and et cetera. This is character development — your character lives and learns every day and your character dies either of natural causes, a disease or in a battle like in the military. We are all an author, and we must accept that one of our characters have to die. Kishimoto never bothered resurrecting Jiraiya after his death, and he too must have had a really hard time killing off one of his favorites. This applies for the Jinchurikis as well.

Who even dies nowadays?

*raises hand*  :oops:

I killed off many of my characters then after I had no use for them or I didn't have time for them, I gave/sold them away. Why? It actually helps with plot development when you collaborate with another or many users.
One such case was with my Seven Mist Swordsman, Enishi.
I had a fight to the death with Kyu because he confronted me about my items and knowing Enishi's sense of honour, he would defend anything in his possession with his life including his country.
Eventually I blew myself up and Kyu managed to barely come out it with sever injuries and took what he wanted but he returned everything that was in Enishi's possessions back to Kirigakure.

This little event certainly got Kirigakure off their lazy buns and they continued with the settings from there.

I think in today's community no one really wants their character to die because of the hard work they put into it.
I still have to agree if you zone with PvP options available then you should be submitted to a reasonable and eventual character death when it comes to it.

Edit: This also should apply to Jichuuriki fights, OOC or not.

My apology Kamui. I almost forgot you killed off Kamui (The character), Enishi and etc. :oops:

But yes, I understand that nobody really wants to kill off one of their characters due to the hard work they put into their characters but like I said above my post, death is inevitable. You can't avoid or escape death — Memento Mori, "Remember that you are a mortal. Remember that you will die." I think people have forgotten those words.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 04:25:01 PM by Megumi Yuki »

Nathan

• Site Staff (Moderator)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 07:15:58 PM »

Bijuu are like trading cards so that's why the Jinchuriki doesn't die when they lose it. Problem? Deal with it.

sploofmoof

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 12:30:53 AM »

Character death wouldn't be as 'scary' as it is now if we didn't have to start from the ground up on a new character.  Many sites that employ character death frequently ALSO allow you to start a character from a reasonable level with some abilities.

And here on SL people look down on you if you use higher ranked techniques without training them.  Character death would be a bit less harsh if the loss wasn't so immense (assuming you have a maxed out character who's trained for years).

And also I'm against the whole jinchuuriki dying and that's SOLELY because they need to make up their mind if the Bijuu fights are IC or not.  This whole...half and half system is wacky in my opinion, if it's IC then we need to start hunting down the Bijuu characters themselves and whatnot.  If it's OOC then no character death, we're just cherry picking rules based on what we want without thinking what actually makes sense >.>

Snap

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 12:54:14 AM »

Character death wouldn't be as 'scary' as it is now if we didn't have to start from the ground up on a new character.  Many sites that employ character death frequently ALSO allow you to start a character from a reasonable level with some abilities.

And here on SL people look down on you if you use higher ranked techniques without training them.  Character death would be a bit less harsh if the loss wasn't so immense (assuming you have a maxed out character who's trained for years).

And also I'm against the whole jinchuuriki dying and that's SOLELY because they need to make up their mind if the Bijuu fights are IC or not.  This whole...half and half system is wacky in my opinion, if it's IC then we need to start hunting down the Bijuu characters themselves and whatnot.  If it's OOC then no character death, we're just cherry picking rules based on what we want without thinking what actually makes sense >.>

Correction: Death wouldn't be as scary as it is now if people weren't on a claiming-spree for a mass encyclopedia of canon crap and techniques. People aren't really training to learn their respectively canon techniques. Most of them, if not all, are merely claiming to be using a "claimable" canon technique while not knowing a thing or two about the said technique at all. I could always just claim the Ten-Tails, all three of the great Dojutsu, immortality and claim to be Omnipotence-level for no apparent reason and nobody can do anything about it.

Maxed out or not, this is character development. You aren't really strong nor powerful even if you are maxed out. If you solely depend on your Kekkei Genkai rather than skills and strategies, you can't zone. Most characters on Shinobi Legends, if not all, suffers from lack of character development in exchange for power development. There has to be a balance. (As hypocritical as it may sound.)

Also, like I said on my previous post; death is inevitable. You can't avoid death nor escape it. Regardless of what excuse you are using. OOC or IC, this is very unrealistic to the Naruto standards let alone very absurd that Jinchurikis can survive getting their Biju extracted and/or traded away like they were, like Nathan said, a bunch of Pokémon cards.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 02:44:16 PM by Megumi Yuki »

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 12:22:08 AM »

I plead innocent, as I claim more custom techniques than canon techniques. :D

So what are we to do?

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 04:07:52 AM »

Sorry Kay... I'm afraid I did forgot that till you mentioned it.  :(

And get out there and RP what is the question...
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.