Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New members: you need admin approval, please petition *in game* if you made an account. :)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Genjutsu in SL  (Read 3215 times)

Eric

• View Profile
Re: Genjutsu in SL
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 12:43:26 AM »

It can be a bit much in battle when you don't specify what it does. Trev got me in a Genjutsu in our fight like you said, by being subtle about it. I totally did not know I was in a Genjutsu for a few posts, it worked completely. It just so happened that the actions I took still countered what Trev was trying to hide with the Genjutsu, and I feel like you can count the times someone countered Genjutsu without meta gaming on one hand. However Trev then tells me that my posts have actually not been happening, I've been standing there totally out of it, like with Izanami, the whole time.

I think that is a bit much to expect a person to swallow.

That's why, just like you would with ninjutsu, you would either cite the technique being used or at least note that you are using a genjutsu in some shape or fashion. Genjutsu generally is non-lethal (there are obvious exceptions in the anime) anyways on its own, but it does have its usage against the razor.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Trev

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 12:46:19 AM »

I will admit genjutsu can be a bit much (Example being Ephemeral, which as Bocc now knows is sooooo op it's not even funny).

Genjutsu was more popular back in the day as you could be subtle, but we live in the times where if you didn't type it, it didn't happen. Good example I always use is Bocc using Doton Domu: and accidentally comparing it to like steel instead of diamond or something, thus weakening it or whatever.

Similar thing with genjutsu. I used Ephemeral, but didn't state it for awhile. Because I didn't state it, Tsuyo rule I basically casted a generic genjutsu.

Thus being subtle isn't an option, as you have to state it, else it looks like you're trying to BS later. Not saying genjutsu isn't impossible to pull off (directed to Kirk, and Eric). Merely explaining to Toshiro that this + people breaking it easy are why it is not as common as ninjutsu.
Don't say f*ck any more because f*ck is the worst word that you can say

So just use the word mmmkay!

Kobayashi Toshiro

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2014, 12:36:21 AM »

Thanks everyone!

Poop, this is a really difficult topic. :?

sploofmoof

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2014, 09:52:45 AM »

Perssoooonally I believe that one should always say what they are doing in the post they use it.  So Genjutsu should be stated in the post of it's beginning.

Buuut I do understand the reasoning for people not doing that as everyone would immediately just go "oh I figured that out, now I'm out of it in one turn!"

Genjutsu in general has a weird balance issue in RP.  If you're incapacitated by one for even a single turn, your opponent can end you right then and there, but if you shrug all of them off then they're useless.  So it's hard for them to find a correct level that would leave them balanced, yeah?

I've always thought that Genjutsu were to be used as a tool to mentally exhaust your opponent and not make them open to physical attack (at least from an RP perspective.)  So when I use genjutsu (which is extremely rare) I tend to either make it so the effects have a weird distorted time so what they experience in the genjutsu was only a fraction of a second in real life OR have my character simply revel in their weakened state and not abuse the giant opening.

Essentially a good genjutsu in my use would simply leave the opponents mind in a more vulnerable state, put them on edge, or make them less capable of making rational decisions in the continuing fight. That's just my half-assed idea though since I don't really dabble in their use too heavily myself xD

Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 01:11:02 PM »

...Essentially a good genjutsu in my use would simply leave the opponents mind in a more vulnerable state, put them on edge, or make them less capable of making rational decisions in the continuing fight. That's just my half-assed idea though since I don't really dabble in their use too heavily myself xD

All but the second are subjective to the target in question's approval.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.