Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ever wondered if your ideas have been talked about in the forum already? Well, try out the "search" option, where all your questions can be answered.

Author Topic: Account email change(Subject to change)  (Read 2351 times)

Old Man Xia

• View Profile
Account email change(Subject to change)
« on: October 09, 2011, 09:02:21 PM »

Ok so this goes by saying that people have been getting their accounts hacked. The 7 day rule that is applied to when they don't respond is really getting out of hand and it mostly upsets people.

I think what can be done about this so people have a chance to decide if they want to do so is lengthen the time of the email change to about 14 days, giving the person enough time if he/she tends to be busy to check their email.

This will help prevent emails changing over quickly to prevent accounts from being stolen.

"Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired"

ShinobiIceSlayer

• View Profile
Re: Account email change(Subject to change)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 10:38:40 PM »

Well in my view, the only way people get their accounts 'hacked' is if they are foolish and give out their information. So I don't personally see how lengthening the email change time will do anything. I mean the person would already have to have access to the account to initiate it so...

Old Man Xia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 11:51:50 PM »

There are people that do hack and time perfectly when the owner of the account isn't paying attention to the email change or email. The shorter the days are on that, the easier it is for the hacker to obtain it.

ShinobiIceSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 03:29:55 AM »

Well 7 days is still good length of time. I believe the real issue is stopping people getting your account details in the first place.

Old Man Xia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 05:22:24 AM »

Well 7 days is still good length of time. I believe the real issue is stopping people getting your account details in the first place.

What if you never gave them any information, only to find your account was hacked? I certainly don't trust giving my info away to anyone.

ShinobiIceSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 08:10:38 AM »

Well how did they get you're account then? Other than having a dead easy password? SL is pretty hack resistant.

Old Man Xia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 03:38:10 PM »

I doubt it is hack resistant if someone has already been hacking for a while now. I've heard of numerous accounts being stolen and then sold off just recently, but I obtained my account back by my own means.

ShinobiIceSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 10:32:14 PM »

I believe I have talked to such person involved, and he said he just guesses peoples passwords cause they're not exactly hard.

Old Man Xia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 01:37:44 AM »

I believe I have talked to such person involved, and he said he just guesses peoples passwords cause they're not exactly hard.

Exactly why would he guess passwords when that is none of their business? Second, some people don't realize the magnitude of these easy passwords could be easily guess, but i'm sure there are people that have high security passwords that people still manage to get through by hacking. There is a reason why I am requesting an extended period for the email change to happen, and that will help improve chances that accounts won't be stolen until the user realizes that he has xx amount of days before it automatically validates.

I don't mean to get rude in all, but my reason to do this is for those who have suffered for their losses while the other person does what they want with it.

ShinobiIceSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 02:10:17 AM »

Look, the likely hood that any of these accounts was actually, 'hacked'  as you say is virtually zero if you ask me. Neji knows what he is doing, and SL is pretty dang safe, I spent a good while trying to find some gap in it's defenses and never found one.

Now I will quote directly from the rules of SL:

9.0. The policy here is: Email Account Holder == Character Owner. There are no 'changes back'.
9.1. You are not allowed to give your password out. We won't check that, but if you do, all actions done with that account are *YOUR* actions, regardless of who sits in front of the monitor.
9.2. If somebody has the password and changes the email, he/she is the account holder. Full stop. Request for a 'rollback' will not be accepted.
9.3. If you pick an unsafe password like your first name or similar things, you, and only you are responsible for it.

I think that makes things pretty clear.

Now changing the length of time, yes may help the few people this has happened to, but what about all the people changing their emails from an inactive email account? We have to make them wait for some insane amount of time?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 02:11:29 AM by Ice »

Reimu Hakurei

• "Neko Miko Reimu, aishiteru~."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 04:28:45 AM »

Gonna sound cold on this. I've used a seven letter password, not even with caps, for the past six years, and -never- had anyone ever 'hack' my account. And I HIGHLY doubt someone spend their days guessing peoples passwords when you get IP banned for messing up too many times. If someone has had patience to sit there, wait out time to guess your password, and actually gets it right, its your own fault for having not only such a simple password they managed to do that, but utterly neglecting to spend at least three, measley, minutes, not even that, to check your email. Particularly when you have SEVEN DAYS to do that in! Thats strictly my opinion on the manner, you have 24 hours a day, 168 hours a week. Find three minutes in that pretty hefty amount of time to check your email. If you couldn't find three minutes in a week, I doubt giving you two weeks if gonna find a mnute.

ShinobiIceSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 07:22:31 AM »

Yeah I agree, how many people honestly don't check their emails at least once a week? I mean I do kind of understand your situation Xia, but at the same time, I used to catch you on SL when you were on duty.

The real issue is how they're getting on to peoples accounts, and if it is how we think, then people just need to step up their passwords etc.

I can think of one way you could potentially steal accounts that have been deleted, but you'd either have to be super lucky, and know the account owner well, or be a Mod lol.

Old Man Xia

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 10:19:22 AM »

Being on duty is a whole other story when i'm away from my laptop, since I normally don't bring it with me. I have less access onto my email just recently when I finally got my phone to connect to my yahoo mail..... Sometimes I can't help the time that i'll be gone, either it be a week i'm gone, 2 weeks, possibly a deployment.

I don't use simple passwords, and the account I recently got back was being used by someone else at the time. That password is dealt with now, but if a hacker manages to crack my password, that means they weren't guessing.

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 16 queries.