Shinobi Legends Forum - Shinobi Legends Game Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please petition corrupted/Badnavs in game, nothing can be done from the forums.

Author Topic: Does anybody really give a sh*t?  (Read 3501 times)

Sabumaru

• Justin Trudeau will vouch for me
    • View Profile
Does anybody really give a sh*t?
« on: June 09, 2013, 10:11:16 PM »

So uhh not sure if this is the place to post this but I figure it will jusy get moved if I've posted it in the wrong spot.

So anyways
Yeah I noticed that, like me, there are people who are surprisingly comfortable with swearing. Which really isn't a surprise. I swear all the time in real life.
But I guess my question (or concern or whatever) is that I seem to be able to get away with certain words (damn being the most notable) while the word "prick" (which isn't really all that bad as far as I know) is censored.
Hell, I can say hell too. And I can scream "JESUS CHRIST" if I want and I get away with it. I get why the s-word and the f-word are censored and I'm not gonna complain that my character would swear often if he could because that's not really my point.

Wait, what even is my point..?
Oh yeah!

I get why the vulgar stuff is blocked, but why is it that I'm allowed to offend christians by saying Jesus' name in vain but I'm not allowed to say the f-word when my arm gets cut off? It seems silly to block some things and not other things that could be taken just as offensively. Especially when the general number of people I talk to don't give a flying camel about swearing.
Maybe I should make a poll to see who cares about offensive language to prove my point, but I don't know how.

Anyways,
Discuss.

Trying to set a new record for number of toddlers fought off simultaneously

Raifudo Oppa

• ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
    • View Profile
Re: Does anybody really give a sh*t?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 11:09:33 PM »

So... you want to know why? Or you want a change?

Sabumaru

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 12:37:58 AM »

Yeah I'm just curious. You don't need to change anything for me.

Shadow

• Shadow's alternate first account.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 01:38:15 AM »

I can say Camel or Llama as well and not get it blocked. Words are not censored on the forums. Unless a mod, like Kamui comes and edits your post.

When a mod comes to edit your posts that means you done something wrong doesn't it?
Please refrain from using this language in the future.

~Kamui
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 08:09:09 AM by Camel »
Look at that smite number. Boy was I disliked a lot more back in the day.

Snap

• "I'll take my clothes off, just for you. <3"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 01:57:55 AM »

Shinobi Legends is a kid-friendly game. That's why profanity isn't allowed in the public except for Private Messages.

Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 02:04:47 AM »

Shinobi Legends is a kid-friendly game. That's why profanity isn't allowed in the public except for Private Messages.

Eh. I see why it's censored in public areas, but in all reality they probably hear it in RL on a daily basis. Oh well. Camel is just that way.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 08:07:26 AM by Camel »

Snap

• "I'll take my clothes off, just for you. <3"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 02:17:18 AM »

Eh. I see why it's censored in public areas, but in all reality they probably hear it in RL on a daily basis. Oh well. Shit is just that way.

They hear it in real life on a daily basis that's true. But remember, this is the Internet, and the Internet can sometimes be a bit more harsher than real life. Some words people are saying throughout the Internet can sometimes go a bit overboard.

It is like pre-school, private schools or at home with your family (for some families.) The reason why parents won't allow their children to curse at home is to teach their children general etiquette when they are at public places. This applies for the Internet, just as much.

Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 02:21:14 AM »

I don't curse unless my friends or if I'm on the internet. I was taught that I can swear, but I choose not to in RL. Why? Just don't see a reason. I do on the internet cause I llama can. See what I did there? xP

Let's keep in that this is still a child-friendly game and some of the rules of the server still apply to the forums as well, if I haven't warned you then consider this it.
~Kamui
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 07:59:15 AM by Camel »

Eric

• Roleplay Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 04:49:24 AM »

You can swear in real life too. You just choose not to.

See what I did there?

Anyways, part of the reason I believe is that some curse words are actually present in the game. I don't think anyone has reported to Neji that using the lord's name in vain has not only offended them, but offended them to such an extent that issues arose because of it.

The F bomb... Well... I think that speaks for itself, so the word in general is noticeably limited. This isn't made for "children" necessarily, but it is made for a wide variety of audiences, both young and old. Generally, even on the internet, swearing tends to immediately generate some sort of emtion. Some more than others. So the ones that usually or are famous for stirring up shit get the black censor bar; the others are either on the bar list or are less reactive.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Camel

• Global Moderator
  • 01010100 01100001 01100011 01101111 01110011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 08:06:35 AM »

Here's my two cents on this, I am very lenient when it comes to *some* bad languages being portrayed in RP (Example; Kamui gets sealed, his final words are profanity against that person) however when it's directed in an Out-of-Content/Character matter then I step up to the plate.
Really...c'mon people! :oops:
I expect everyone to act mature and treat others with kindness, not this "trolling" business since we have a board for that and it's called spam.
Let's keep in mind that this is still a child-friendly game and some of the rules of the server still apply to the forums.

~Kamui
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 09:03:01 PM by Camel »

UettoSenju

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 06:30:21 PM »

Considering that I curse like every other word in RL I use to think that the censer was stupid. I mean they curse in the manga and anime (depending on which version you are watching).

However over time I grew up to the subject I suppose. Not that I do not still curse like a sailor in RL but I try not to do so at SL... unless in pm. I curse pretty often in pm.

It is really simple if you ask me... give people an inch and they shall take a mile. I mean the trolls at SL would eat this up if there was not censored and there would be page upon page of nothing but OOC swearing. It would just cause SL to be reflected in a negative way if you ask me.

In short the censor is defiantly needed. Also I don't really think people run around yelling 'Jesus Christ' as much as they would f-bomb if allowed.

Think of it like this you go to work or school, we are all different ages so not sure which applies to who, and you have to conduct yourself in a proper manner. You can't run around calling everyone a prick in open... unless you farm then you can say what ever you wish, hehehehe... basically it is a conduct thing and is very much needed.

Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 11:05:30 PM »

I have to agree with Uetto he speaks of truth.

It depends on where you are and around what kind of people. On the internet, with a site such as SL where any age group is around you can't tell who's 80 or 12 and don't want them introduced to a site where cursing is free. Uetto, 'Give them an inch, they'll take a mile' He's right.

Eric

• Roleplay Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 10:04:33 PM »

Give them an inch, and they'll take Kamui's foot. ^_^

But here here, I agree... for the most part.
Anything you can think of I can't think of, let me know; that's how the sharing circle works.

Sabumaru

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 11:05:35 PM »

Okay cool.
Thanks for the input.

I figure this thread is now lockable.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.